• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Tain said:
I'd imagine that those more interested in the Grasshopper presentation than the action itself would consider this their least favorite Grasshopper game.

Perhaps, but to clarify I'm more interested in the Grasshopper action.

I watched other people play through Killer 7 and No More Heroes 2.

Really don't think Grasshopper should ever take center stage when it comes to actual game design.

D2M15 said:
If you can get your hands on a GC, I recommend actually playing K7 for yourself (going by your posting history, not because I'm a raving GHM fanboy), even if you have seen it all before. It's a brilliant game, and is pretty much impervious to age.

Tried to in the past.

I got up to Sunset and just trailed off.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
If you can get your hands on a GC, I recommend actually playing K7 for yourself (going by your posting history, not because I'm a raving GHM fanboy), even if you have seen it all before. It's a brilliant game, and is pretty much impervious to age.

Grisby

Urg most of chapter 4 can suck it. By far the worst chapter in the game so far.

those 2d sections were not fun at all, handled very poorly.

Having a good time otherwise. This might be my favorite Suda game.

Tokubetsu

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Really don't think Grasshopper should ever take center stage when it comes to actual game design.

Same. This is pretty much the only Grasshopper/Suda game I can get completely behind.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

You could try this one, I dunno, might be fun?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
PepsimanVsJoe said:

I actually LOVED the gameplay in Killer7, but no other Suda game I've played (and I've played almost all of them) have matched it.

This looks to top it, though.

Trevelyon

Grisby said:
those 2d sections were not fun at all, handled very poorly.

Yes, they are quite horrible. I thought Suda had greater plans for
Justine, but instead she's relegated to a shitty flash game boss.

Probably a time constraint thing, EA probably cracked the whip.

RedSwirl

So, where, if at all, do you guys see the Mikami influence in Shadows?

I think most of us here were hoping that Mikami would finally teach Suda how to craft an actual game, and we could get something with Suda’s absurdity mixed with Mikami’s more disciplined game design. Does this game still suffer from Suda’s style-over-substance problem?

Awesome gameplay. The most fun I've had this year thus far.

It's a shame so few people actually know that the director of this game is Massimo Guarini, and not Suda.

RedSwirl

Criminal Upper said:
Awesome gameplay. The most fun I've had this year thus far.

It's a shame so few people actually know that the director of this game is Massimo Guarini, and not Suda.

Holy shit this guy worked on Rainbow Six Rogue Spear and Athena Sword.

G.O.O.

Nemesis556 said:
I dunno, I think Lemon has been a word Suda has associated with being crap in other games, at least that's how I remember it. It could also be a tie back to his "Bitter" mode in No More Heroes.
Could you explain this ? I don't remember reading anything about lemon in past GHM games :/

And I read a review saying that the game was poorly translated overall. Oh well.

What does poorly translated mean? The games VO was directed by Kris Zimmerman Salter (MGS series, NMH) and the script received additional writing by two english guys.

Trevelyon

novery said:
Anybody get the "Fiesta Caliente!" achievement? (Defeat 5 enemies at once using the Hot Boner)

I would like to achieve this, but no clue how!

Another easy spot to get this is in 3-3 just after the first battle with the
teleporting demons, and after Justine gives you a big old frenchy.

There's a spot where jobber demons will be standing in a group, sneak up, put one on the ground or just sticky them all and let loose. Super simple.

G.O.O.

Criminal Upper said:
What does poorly translated mean? The games VO was directed by Kris Zimmerman Salter (MGS series, NMH) and the script received additional writing by two english guys.
I was referring to the subtitles (and text in general) in my language. The "lemon hunter" pun doesn't make sense when translated. On the other hand, the subtitles seem to take a few liberties with the dialogues...

EDIT : heh. "Demon pubes" isn't translated. Nice job.

remz

Love the little sequence when you first start the game, especially the changed background for the create a file screen, which was awesome, hahaha.

The gameplay is solid, although the game can feel a bit claustrophobic at times I'm loving it so far. The guns and stuff just feel chunky and satisfying. Very good.

Great music too!!

Loving the soundtrack. I hadn't played any of the Silent Hill games, but after just an hour and a half into Shadows of the Damned, I'm now a fan of Akira.

I'll post this again as my first post got lost; What causes the slow motion head shot sequences to occur? Stunning them with a Light Shot first?

Furio53

ToyMachine228 said:
Loving the soundtrack. I hadn't played any of the Silent Hill games, but after just an hour and a half into Shadows of the Damned, I'm now a fan of Akira.

I'll post this again as my first post got lost; What causes the slow motion head shot sequences to occur? Stunning them with a Light Shot first?

If your first damaging shot is a headshot, it does it.

thetrin said:
I actually LOVED the gameplay in Killer7, but no other Suda game I've played (and I've played almost all of them) have matched it.

This looks to top it, though.

that'd be nice, tho i'm not expecting it to. killer 7 is one of those rare, genuinely unique, amazing experiences, where all the weird (& there was plenty) comes together just about perfectly - everything 'wrong' about it is right :) ...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
george_us said:
Question: Is the
Horse riding giant goat demon I fight supposed George from that story?
Yes.

You'll always be able to hear the backstories for the big bosses before fighting them.

george_us

Brazil said:
Yes.

You'll always be able to hear the backstories for the big bosses before fighting them.
Ahhh kick ass. The
tapeworm
of all things is what gave it away for me.

Edit: This game has some amazingly grotesque monster designs. I love it.

Draft

Trevelyon said:
Gosh! Fourth lock-up between two PS3 slims. All well ventilated, currently about 9 degrees in the room, dead of winter, noticing it happens in brief transitionary moments, like for example when you mash square to light the fireworks, it just hangs and never comes back.

Been noticing a few weird hitches or hang ups with gameplay to in-game cutscenes transitions, like when
George's beast form gets beheaded by Death, it sort of stutters into the cutscene, not smooth at all.
Happens on the Xbro version, as well.

Game is rough around the edges no matter what platform.

Not entirely shocked. It's incredibly tough to get all crash-bugs out of a game and particularly for smaller teams/studios. Just to give you guys an indication, at work we get dozens of crash defects filed at work up to and including the final hours of a release build (PC, 360, PS3, etc.) There are so many ways to crash or bug out a game it would make most people's head spin. That being said, a really great QA team will find most of this stuff and report it so it never makes it to shipment.

And when I finally sit down to play a game, I appreciate those with the most polish and least bugs...since I have to deal with those all the time anyway! Haha.

JaxJag

Banned
I almost want to call this game a buggy piece of shit.

Not really a spoiler since it's so early on, but I'm on the 2nd mini-boss you fight. The one that chases you around the Carnival.

You have to shoot the light barrels to knock him down and expose his weak point. So the first time I fight him, he seems super easy, though a bit tedious with the whole he runs away because he's hurt and you have to chase him.

But I already made him run away twice, and the next time he starts chasing me I hit a light barrel right on him. He was standing right next to it, like a foot away at the most, but it does nothing to him and he ends up just killing me because I get hung up on a wall and the camera starts acting funky (i'm playing on hard).

The 2nd time I fight him. I make him run of for a 2nd time again, but the darkness doesn't come. I say to myself "oh god, it's glitched out". But I still look for the guy, find him, shoot the goat light.

The goat disappears but nothing happens, so I have to restart again.

Extremely annoying.

Grisby

Finished! About 7 hours or so. Though that last boss bbbbloooowwws. I think my game glitched a bit and decided I wasn't damaging him or something. Switched back after a bit but it still took a while to kill him.

Nice touching moment though for the ending and the after scenes make me hard (as Garcia Hotspur would say) for a SOTD 2.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ugh, I posted a million times here about Killer7 in various different official threads, and my No More Heroes 1 thread is still one of the most pleasant ones around on this board, and it still annoys me when people compare all Grasshopper games to each other against some mystical standard. It's a big studio now, they have multiple projects lead by different team members, Suda is not the writer/producer/director on all of them. They should just be judged on what they are. This game feels like a Grasshopper game, it's fun to play, it's whacked out, and it stands on his own. Enjoy it or don't, but that's all it is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Grisby said:
Finished! About 7 hours or so. Though that last boss bbbbloooowwws. I think my game glitched a bit and decided I wasn't damaging him or something. Switched back after a bit but it still took a while to kill him.

Nice touching moment though for the ending and the after scenes make me hard (as Garcia Hotspur would say) for a SOTD 2.

I loved that boss at first but it seriously felt bugged to me. I was playing on Hard and literally think it took me ~45 minutes of constantly attacking to finish.
When he gets stunned and you need to use the hotboner's charge on him, it would fairly often just vanish. If I kept shooting it would sometimes blow up, sometimes not. So I would at times see this miss when he was glowing yellow, then it took FOREVER for him to get to that point again.

There was a boss earlier on that also took like over 30 minutes, it was odd. Ended up taking my 9:57 on hard.

Draft

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Not sure what you're saying exactly, but the gag is clearly based on the similarity of the words "demon" and "lemon" so it doesn't make a lot of sense to translate "lemon" into another language. The joke should have been rewritten but I guess they couldn't spare the 4 seconds it took to come up with any of the jokes in the game.
Hold on.

Are you suggesting that in Japanese "lemon" and "demon" rhyme? Because that's a pretty crazy coincidence! I mean, they don't rhyme in English, but to be so close in spelling...

John Harker

Crud, accidentally skipped the death scene with George
beast form, and then I start the next chapter and johnson says 'I told you about the Grim Sisters.' or something. I guess I missed a scene. What did it entail?

Teknoman

ToyMachine228 said:

You have to play Silent Hill 2 and 3 at some point.

Papercuts

John Harker said:
Crud, accidentally skipped the death scene with George
beast form, and then I start the next chapter and johnson says 'I told you about the Grim Sisters.' or something. I guess I missed a scene. What did it entail?

You can skip it? Huh...

He falls to his knees and you see a Grim Reaper come out and slice his head off.

John Harker

Papercuts said:
You can skip it? Huh...

He falls to his knees and you see a Grim Reaper come out and slice his head off.

I got that achievement and force of habit, I pressed the Guide button to read what it was... apparently in this game, doing that doesn't pause it! I missed the whole scene. I almost died in a fight pressing the guide button too, since it didn't pause. Oops!

Papercuts

John Harker said:
I got that achievement and force of habit, I pressed the Guide button to read what it was... apparently in this game, doing that doesn't pause it! I missed the whole scene. I almost died in a fight pressing the guide button too, since it didn't pause. Oops!

Oh yeah, haha. This is the only game I can recall that doesn't pause with that, you have to remove the battery pack from the controller to force it to pause.

Biggest problem I have with the game so far is just the random freezes and cuts in between transitions between gameplay, in-game cutscenes, and CG cutscenes. Enjoying it as a whole for sure, it just lacks that final layer of polish.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Draft said:
Hold on.

Are you suggesting that in Japanese "lemon" and "demon" rhyme? Because that's a pretty crazy coincidence! I mean, they don't rhyme in English, but to be so close in spelling...

I was talking about English and whatever language the poster I was responding to was talking about (which I assumed was not Japanese). If you're making a clever point I'm missing it because the rest of this conversation happened too long ago.

StuBurns

Banned
The lemon comment confused me too. I thought it meant the innuendo doesn't work in their language, but I wondered what specific joke it was because in English lemon means lesbian and dick at times.

Ridley327

Just got done with the game. The presentation is sloppy as all hell, but the gameplay is absolutely rock-solid and it does a very good job of keeping things fresh from chapter to chapter. The humor is, well, crude and juvenile, but it's a very endearing sort of crude and juvenile that doesn't try too hard, nor does it outstay its welcome. The sound work in general, as is often the case for any Grasshopper Manufacture, is absolutely phenomenal, with particular accolades centering on the fantastic soundtrack. The only big knock is there really isn't anything to do after you've beaten it if you're not an achievement/trophy whore; no new game+, no bonus modes outside of a difficulty unlock, no nothing.

Bottom line: fun, fun game that actually plays quite well.

KaotikMind said:
PS3 problem here:

Whenever I put the game in the tv gives a no signal for both video and audio output, it happened the very first time I put the game in but after that it was smooth sailing till today. I literally tried 8 times and it did the same thing.

help?

And where is my replies?

Top Bottom