• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

~Kinggi~

Banned
If they dropped this to like 44$ right now i would snag it up.

As it is i want to wait just to find which version to get.

Carbonox

Broadbandito said:
Thinking of grabbing this. Didn't realize it was coming out so damn soon. Where is the marketing EA?

Yeah, I'm quite disappointed at the lack of promotion. I was hoping for a big push during E3 as well.

Nonetheless, I hope word of mouth works in this game's favour. GamesMaster gave the game a 90/100 score, so maybe readers are going to be interested by the sort of game (and the people behind it) this is, especially if it warranted such a decent score.

I'll wait until next month before I purchase this though. I'm content with inFAMOUS 2 for now.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The game is running on Unreal Engine 3. Wouldn't that naturally lead you into getting the 360 version? I have my doubts that Grasshoppper has the kind of coding ability to bring the PS3 version to parity.

Tonza

That theme probably pushes me to buying this at release. I was already seriously considering but wanted to wait for reviews... Hopefully some hit the web soon.

Aske

ZealousD said:
The game is running on Unreal Engine 3. Wouldn't that naturally lead you into getting the 360 version? I have my doubts that Grasshoppper has the kind of coding ability to bring the PS3 version to parity.

This might be the only reason I don't grab it day 1. I'd rather get it on PS3, but if it's a Bayonetta/Ghostbusters/Fallout 3 situation I'll grab the 360 version. But Grasshopper have a lot more weight behind them on this game, so I'm hoping the PS3 version will be competent.

In other news, here's an interview with Akira Yamaoka that discusses the music for Shadows of the Damned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl3UVVpRRew

Also: 8 minutes of gameplay, PS3 version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLGpgZx8JhA&feature=related

Fox Mulder

Broadbandito said:
Thinking of grabbing this. Didn't realize it was coming out so damn soon. Where is the marketing EA?

Probably saving their pennies for the Battlefield 3 marketing blitz. EA didn't do shit for Alice either.

bkfount said:
Probably saving their pennies for the Battlefield 3 marketing blitz. EA didn't do shit for Alice either.

The lack of advertising for this, while annoying is somewhat understandable as it can be considered a niche title, but the lack of advertising for Alice is baffling, especially after they were the ones who approached Mcgee and asked him to work on the sequel.

Aske

Aske said:

Not seeing any glaring technical problems with this PS3 footage, although the quality of the video isn't spectacular, and more discerning videophiles can feel free to correct me. Didn't see any framerate drops or tearing.

Environments look incredible, although with the early level being demoed the play areas seem very claustrophobic in a somewhat 'gamey' way. RE4 has its fair share of this and it's a legitimate design choice given the setting, but it's something I noticed which reminds me "this is a game", and I hope to see it countered with more open environments in later levels. Same goes for the jewels which pop out of enemies occasionally; though shameless, slightly ironic videogame tropes are a staple of Suda games.

Upgradable weapons! Five levels each of increased reload speed, capacity and damage for the Boner. Torch can be used as a melee weapon, and charged up for power-swings. Whole thing feels very RE4. I think I even spotted some contextual melee attacks (Leon kick/suplex style) when enemies are staggered, but either I missed it, or the player doesn't take advantage of them. Actually, just clicked around and he does; at 1:33, and again at 7:11.

Weapon changes are on the fly and very quick. Melee attacks with the torch are not handled like the RE4 knife; the torch is a standalone weapon. I'm assuming we're seeing a quick weapon switch between two or three pre-selected weapons - saw the same thing with the multi-barrelled gun in the boss video - but whatever limitations there may be, it's a far cry from RE4's constant trips to the menu to change guns.

Overall, good stuff along the lines of what we've already seen.

Also, Harley Quinn confirmed.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am seriously tempted to get this. God damn i need some reviews!!!

Everything about this seems great. I miss the days of gaming where i bought a game based on its box.

JoeFenix

I would buy this if I knew it was technicaly rock solid but I'm sure the PS3 version is going to be mega-jankster so I'll just rent first.

Game looks really awesome other than that, hope it doesn't disapoint!

~Kinggi~ said:
God damn there are some genuine Silent hill sounding shit in there.
Yeah that's really what I thought too, damn Yamaoka is a god for Silent Hill-esque music.
It makes me sad to think about the path SH is taking without him (where sound is SO important).

But with this, DAMNED is already as "silent hill" as SH itself. And I love it.

Wizpig

Buying this as a SUDA/Grasshopper fan, i don't really like the idea of having EA as the publisher, and i don't really care about Mikami, but still, can't wait!

A question: is the dub English-only? can you pick Japanese? In Europe, can you pick Italian/French/other languages?

Garcia Hotspur said:
Yeah, I think I've read he was an undertaker before he got a job at Human entertainment.
Suda is one classy motherfucker.
Departures.jpg

I've been listening to the sampler soundtrack all day, it is godly. It's a lot more SH genuine-horror in tone than what I'd expect from what might be a pretty goofy minute by minute experience.

wizpig said:
A question: is the dub English-only? can you pick Japanese? In Europe, can you pick Italian/French/other languages?
Due to disk size, I'd imagine almost every game only contains the language of it's country of release, unless they specifically go out of their way to mention it as a feature in interviews.

Ridley327

I'd actually be pretty surprised if there was more than just the English dub; all of Suda's original titles have utilized English VA, and in every region at that.

Saw a preview vid a couple of months ago, thought it was interesting and then forgot about it. Heard it mentioned on a podcast yesterday and was surprised that it was coming out this week! Started looking at video's and im hyped for this one.

Just about finished Vanquish and I'm really enjoying it, so might as well go straight into another Mikami game, so I'll pick it up day one.

Suddenly I'm interested! The combat reminds me of Resident Evil 4 and No More Heroes. Do you have to control your view with the right analog stick? I hope it controls like Dead Space because I suck at every other shooter.

Ridley327

ChoklitReign said:
Suddenly I'm interested! The combat reminds me of Resident Evil 4 and No More Heroes. Do you have to control your view with the right analog stick? I hope it controls like Dead Space because I suck at every other shooter.
Yeah, you have full movement while aiming, as well as a dodging mechanic to spice things up.

Positive gameplay impressions from GAFers...Check.
GAFers jizzing over the soundtrack...Check.
Get Shadows of the Damned in my hands...Tuesday.

Ken

Any word on alternate costumes or characters?

Would love to have the ARS suit from Vanquish in this even if it's just cosmetic change.

Updated the OP with sections about Mikami and Suda 51. Many many people still confused about Mikami, where he works, and what games he has directed/produced. One of the best resumes around when it comes to the action and horror genres. If it isn't on the list I posted in the OP, Mikami probably didn't work on it.

john tv

JEKKI said:
Theres a guy that useta work at 1up named Alan Johnson.

that guy's hilarious!!

I wonder if the Johnson in this game was based on or inspired by him??
Johnson was just something I spouted off as a joke w/o even thinking - didn't honestly expect it to become the final name, but people seemed to dig it. :)

The game has lots of penis humor, if you didn't notice. :p

Aske

momolicious said:
Is the ps3 version going to suck? No PC release announced?

Check out the 8 minute long video of the game being played on PS3 that I posted above. No idea if the 360 version will be significantly better, but it doesn't look like the PS3 version will suck.

Aske said:
This might be the only reason I don't grab it day 1. I'd rather get it on PS3, but if it's a Bayonetta/Ghostbusters/Fallout 3 situation I'll grab the 360 version. But Grasshopper have a lot more weight behind them on this game, so I'm hoping the PS3 version will be competent.

In other news, here's an interview with Akira Yamaoka that discusses the music for Shadows of the Damned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl3UVVpRRew

Also: 8 minutes of gameplay, PS3 version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLGpgZx8JhA&feature=related

The 8 minutes of video certainly doesn't have me questioning my pre-order, I can tell you that!

Top Bottom