• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Shenmue, Final Fantasy VII and why we shouldn't entirely give in to nostalgia"

daevious

Why can't people look for the positives in things rather than always trying to be cold and cynical...

Because a lot of gamers have courted cynicism for so long that it's become the standard when approaching anything the industry does. In any other year during the previous console generation bashing E3 itself would go by without complaint. Now that we've had this ludicrous dream E3 where nearly everything that people begged for is finally being made (all that was missing was a Half-Life 3 announcement), the usual cynicism from the usual sources appears sounds a lot pettier because they come across as being unreasonable, like nothing would ever satisfy them.

oni-link

Im with the majority of you on this one

While this article may or may not have some valid opinions I only see the recent announcements as a net positive

I don't see why this could ever been seen as a bad thing. I actually like the Duality approach of remastering classics alongside making new IP

It provides a nice balance and satisfies a larger body of players. Cherish the old as you produce the new

With the Wide breadth of games we get nowadays I dont think the argument for the alternative really holds water.

Well I criticised the article in the OP but I don't think it's saying "don't be excited" or "these announcements are a bad thing" it's saying lets be realistic, the games are old and they might have to change to fit todays standards or risk being clunky but pretty, either one of those might disappoint people who are excited (I don't know if I agree with that or not, personally)

My issue was more that it seems to imply anyone who likes these old games is blinded by nostalgia, and that really they're "not that good"

I'd agree with you that it's a net positive we're getting these games

Trojan X

Banned
I never understood the FFVII remake hype. The original is a good game, and it already exists, and has been kept alive pretty well through porting at this point. Why not divert these resources into making a FFXVI? Not to say I'm not interested in playing the remake, but it sits at the same level as Starfox Zero for me. (It seems essentially a retelling of the N64 game.)

Shenmue 3 is quite different. It's the next chapter in a story that was left unfinished. It's not nostalgia, it's looking to the future.

Exactly. That's why the article is senseless, otherwise we might as well say every single game sequel is an issue. Every single one!

Why on earth medias want to bring nothing but negativity. Fucking hell. They are clueless.

saturnine

I can't help but laugh at comments lambasting gamers who want remakes that stay faithful to the original work sorry, indulge in senseless nostalgia.

"If you want the same experience go play the original"? Why don't we do the opposite, and have you people clamouring for an updated experience play any of the dozen modern AAA games already available in this day and age. Why don't you let us have this one remake? Us the poor nostalgic fuckers who have lost entire genres and aesthetics to the mindless narrowing scope of the industry.

Melodrama aside, I'm not naive. There's no way SE will have the balls to keep some of the elements that were integral to the soul of the original game. The fixed camera angles (an art lost to time), the world map... Every melancholic scene will be replaced by a fucking cutscene. At least let us have a battle system where you control your whole party please, none of that FFXIII bullshit.

People wanted to see the ending to the Shenmue story, right? What's that got to do with nostalgia?

Among the TLG, Shenmue 3, FF7R trio, only FF7 has nostalgia going for it, and even then it's an actual remake, not a remaster. For all we know it could be as good of a remake as Gamecube's REmake was, and for someone like me who never played the original and heard great things about it, I'm personally excited.

But sure, nostalgia..

Yup.

pantsmith

Why does it have to be nostalgia and not reverence?

When a new (hopefully good) Star Wars was announced people were more excited that they were getting more of the universe they love. Nostalgia plays a small part in that, but is certainly not the only part.

Likewise a new Shenmue is exciting because its got a lot of good will behind it. Final Fantasy VII is probably known by significantly more people than have played it. We are excited because we love videogames, not simply because we are nostalgic.

But Horizon and Dreams and RIGS and The Last Guardian were also shown at the same conference, along with returning favorite No Mans Sky. So while yes nostalgia was being pulled at with those two megatons they were by no means all that was shown. I'd argue Horizon was the best new ip revealed all E3.

Chaos17

Agree with all of this, I don't want Microsoft and Sony becoming primarily nostalgia-peddlers to ageing fans like Nintendo.

homBTOC.gif

SpaceHorror

All of these debbie downer articles seem to be written by people who got really upset that so many people got really, really fucking excited about Shenmue III and the FF VII remake.

This is coming from someone who doesn't give two shits about the remake.

Bring on Shenmue III, though!

What a terrible article. The entire basis was just circular reasoning, assumptions and design speculation. It's essentially "nostalgia-glasses" the article and why "you should see the way I see it" tone. Imagine that? What if we were to discard every artistic progression from the past only to accept the new and upcoming and revised products regardless of their quality? Should I stop listening to 80's music because you know, I'm heavily "rose-tinted"? Can I not appreciate books from the past?

People are allowed to like what they like and for a medium that allows us to have our avenues that is incredibly restrictive compared to literature, film and music the idea that we should forsake this because of "nostalgia" is precisely why the general overview treats gaming as just an over-glorified "gimmick". There's no respect to the medium. His examples of Skyrim, Batman and The Witcher, games that doesn't properly describe the diversity of our library but one that fits into the AAA standards out of his own self-congratulatory hype.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Eh, it's not an unreasonable stance to take. The companies, work environments and people who made these previous games are not the same as they are now; regardless of how good their intentions are (particularly Yu, who I know has been so eager to conclude the Shenmue story) it's unrealistic to expect these games to fulfill everyone's dreams, or for archaic design ideas to not be critiqued by a harsher, more judgemental new generation of gamers. Especially here on NeoGAF, you just KNOW that people are going to swing to the other extreme, fill the forum with threads about these being the biggest disappointments of all time, no matter what. And that's not even taking into account any additions that ultimately end up tarnishing the final product, be it a shortage of funding or just boneheaded attempts to "modernise" the gameplay in a cynical ploy to appeal to more people than before. And let's not entertain the idea of potential retcons showing up.

I think it's perfectly fine to REALLY look forward to these games though, and the article itself even admits that. They're exciting, almost legendary game announcements, and for whatever happens to them, it's nice that developers are finally delivering the things gamers have been asking for for such a long time. With that in mind, I don't think it's giving in to nostalgia, so much as fulfilling demands of the consumers.

Dennis

Banned
When something popular happens, in any sector really, there are always people eager to be the voice of dissension - simply because it is an easy way to get attention and make you seem like a cool rebel.

"Oooh, this will let me raise my profile and let everyone see I am more sophisticated than the plebs with their common opinions".

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think this depends on if nostalgia is the reason you wanted it or not. Of course, as a prfound hater of Shenmue, I wouldn't find Shenmue 3 a lot of fun, but assuming it would be Banjo-Threeie instead, I'm absolutely sure that I would love a well-made sequel and absolutely would not complain about a lack of openness of the world or even DLC (that's like the personification of the devil). One might argue the wish for Shenmue 3 or FFVII Remake (which really is odd to me, because you can already play FFVII, why are so many people demanding the opportunity to pay for the same game again? Such superficial people who care so much for graphics that they wish so hard for a visual update over a new game are difficult to judge in regards to nostalgia) is fuelled by nostalgia, but maybe it's just honest liking and valuing the originals high?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I thought it was a really well-written and well-reasoned opinion piece. Nothing to take personally.

I tried to play the original Shenmue and while I could appreciate the ambition found it clunky and dull. Maybe if I'd played it at the time I'd have had more of a connection to it.

Companies need to yield to the desires of 80s & 90s kids because we spend the most on games. So get cracking on that super Mario 64 sequel Nintendo!

Dennis

Banned
This trend of old favourites getting a new chance of life is nothing to worry about is my bottom line.

If too many nostalgia games comes out sales will decline and less will then be made. Shit sorts itself out.

Shenmue 3 isn't nostalgia, it's the necessary continuation of a series that ended on a cliffhanger and is in desperate need of resolution.

You do realize Suzuki plans on making making the series go 4-5 games at least? You're just going to get another cliffhanger at the end of 3.

I think the article makes some good points. I've never been enamored by either title, but I understand the point he's trying to make. For instance, Wasteland 2 is a really good game. It's a lot like Fallout 1-2. Two games I absolutely love. But I just can't play those types of games anymore.

The nostalgia argument doesn't apply to Shenmue III AT ALL. People are excited that the story will finally advance after fourteen years waiting on a cliffhanger. It's not nostalgia if the project hasn't even been completed yet.

Visceir

So many negative articles, all trying to discourage us from getting hyped.

Nothing.stops.this.hype. Embrace it and enjoy.

You have to know where you've been to know where you're going. I hope the remakes, remasters, and retro reimaginings never stop. Doesn't mean I don't want new games either, of course, but it's best to have every option available. No one should be left out.

Fuck anyone who wants to play the same game with slight graphical upgrades. If they introduce a new system, so be it (as long as it's good). It's a remake, not a remaster.

"I don't like thing! Other people shouldn't like thing either, and if they like thing I don't like, I get angry!"

Come on, really? "Fuck anyone" who wants to play things you don't? Nice.

You do realize Suzuki plans on making making the series go 4-5 games at least? You're just going to get another cliffhanger at the end of 3.

I think the article makes some good points. I've never been enamored by either title, but I understand the point he's trying to make. For instance, Wasteland 2 is a really good game. It's a lot like Fallout 1-2. Two games I absolutely love. But I just can't play those types of games anymore.

Yes I know that, it doesn't change anything I say. When I talk about resolution I am referring to a completion of the series as a whole.

DarkKyo

Yes let's all clamor on for years about how we want these kinds of remakes and sequels and then when they are finally announced we'll act like bitter children about the realities of them. What a stupid article.

Parfait

all i got is nostalgia, please let me have it

Ding ding

I play much fewer games these days because most of them just ain't for me. I at least have stuff to catch up on with the wii u, but yeah, I have no problem playing old games remixed and or remastered.

I still find FFT to be the best srpg. It's still something i compare everything to, and whenever i see 'player phase' and 'enemy phase' I just shake my head and frown. Not that that's bad, I just prefer FFT's character turn-based way more.

I didn't give in to nostalgia, I have faith in Nomura, Nojima & Kitase. Last I recall, none of them are washed up game developers/writers/producer still stuck in their 90s hey days.

As for Shenmue 3, frankly I could give a rat's ass if the "game" sucks. I want to see the continuation of Ryo Hazuki & Shenhua's story. It could be visual novel or a Telltale game for all that I care.

Thanks for making assumptions about me. though. /s

MADGAME

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with wallowing in the quicksand of reminiscence...

Although the author says "there's nothing wrong", the language they use regarding wallowing in quicksand defines their very perception of reminiscing as harrowing. How asinine. Reminiscence, the enjoyable recollection of past events, is innately a good thing. Claiming nostalgia gives us unrealistic expectations that will never be realized in (future) games is speculation at best, and shit journalism at the core.

Caronte

That's why it's going to be a full remake and not the same thing with better graphics.

Also, I'm really tired of this obsession with open-world games.

If this guy really wants to harp on about nostalgia then he would do well to set his sights on Nintendo instead, who're way more guilty of over-relying on sequels and spin-offs of their age-old franchises than anybody else.

That's why it's going to be a full remake and not the same thing with better graphics.

I didn't see that part until you mentioned it. Another muppet who thinks open-world automatically equals better. *sigh*

bonkeng

I enjoyed these games immensely back then, that's the reason why I am very excited. Nostalgia is a none factor for me.

If this guy really wants to harp on about nostalgia then he would do well to set his sights on Nintendo instead, who're way more guilty of over-relying on sequels and spin-offs of their age-old franchises than anybody else.

I didn't see that part until you mentioned it. Another muppet who thinks open-world automatically equals better. *sigh*

I also love how the writer totally assumes incompetence, inability to (re)make a game that lives up to some of the standards of modern game design, and nothing more than nostalgia pandering for the hundreds of talented human beings who's going to spend the next 2-4 years of their lives working on these nostalgia machine.

I agree. Some games are fine and can do it well, but this open world equals better is non sense. To me it actually made Watch Dogs a worse game. Embrace sandbox "levels"!

Canucked

Realistic expectations are fine. There is a lot of new stuff that gamers are eating up. Splatoon has sold over 1 million on WiiU and Horizon turned a lot of heads at E3. Sure there will always be sequels, and now remakes, but the people want what the people want.

I think this guy is putting the cart before the horse.

These two titles have been on people's wish-lists for years. The kickstarter for Shenmue 3 broke records.

These aren't examples of peddling nostalgia onto an ambivalent market - they are examples of a specific demand being met.

There is plenty of more appropriate nostalgia-fuelled material for the argument this article wants to convey. These two titles are very bad examples - if anything they are the exception to the rule.

But, just like those the article seeks to critique, the names of those games catch people's attention for a very good reason. And, to that end, the author is exploiting the same desire for nostalgia as those they damn.

Also: there's more than enough games for everyone's tastes. Don't want it? Don't buy it. Don't tell me what I should want.

KORNdoggy

shhhh, you're drawing attention to the double standards of the industry! lol

These are obviously valid points but we'll just have to wait and see how they turn out.
A lot can wrong with these, but they also have the potential to be incredible.

Is Nintendo's game nostalgia tho?
They've been releasing their franchise consistently.
Are Final Fantasies and Metal Gears nostalgic because they are both decades old franchises?

Fuck Shenmue 3 and a sequel to one of my fav games.
Bring on Assassins Creed 10 and Call of Duty 11! Real games, none of that nostalgia bullshit. AC and COD never left me, They love me!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It's two titles...Not like it's an epidemic.

Top Bottom