• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shirrako: Until Dawn Remake is a technical mess

They didn't "need" to do anything. They wanted to remake it and did, leaving you with the option to not buy it.

They also didn't ruin the original as that still exists. How it fairs next to this video? I'll report back after I've had a few hours with it, but I know it hasn't been downgraded without even looking at that video. All assets have been rebuilt, so preference =! downgrade.
How does it look while actually playing it?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What part are you calling pre-rendered exactly? The comparison video I posted is 1 for 1.
The intro is pre-rendered
How does it look while actually playing it?
My post on the last page shows how it actually looks, here I post again
fxiXrt6.jpeg
VSR9zMg.jpeg
OzDyJ5Z.jpeg
ZCKa94u.jpeg
SU3aAFL.jpeg
NtBLyhW.jpeg
n7gPudB.jpeg
BgRH86N.jpeg
aQmPAkJ.jpeg
60MDgvl.jpeg
cPf6qjx.jpeg
OlVGdxV.jpeg

Last edited:

TGO

There is hardly any gameplay in the video you posted. At least 75 percent is pre-rendered cutscenes.
Only the part after Dr Hill is Pre-rendered, like Josh's video recording.
The rest are in-game cutscenes, although the capture does have low contrast and looks heavy compress for the remake.
But even this is compressed and don't look as bad as that video comparison.

Not sure what peoples goal is with the negativity for this game.

Last edited:

TGO

It looks fine. Better than what came before it.

Thank you TGO TGO for actually keeping things in perspective!
I was honestly not impressed with the reveal trailer and thought they had ruined it but it got better with newer trailers and after playing it.... just seeing comments like, the graphics are worse, the atmosphere is ruined, Peter Stormare doesn't even look like him anymore, I gotta call it out
lNS34gh.jpeg
Xmtxnzg.jpeg
bhlgoZa.jpeg
BDX5oRY.jpeg
ilXQ2WU.jpeg
7ehn6pE.jpeg

Last edited:
I was honestly not impressed with the reveal trailer and thought they had ruined it but it got better with newer trailers and after playing it.... just seeing comments like, the graphics are worse, the atmosphere is ruined, Peter Stormare doesn't even look like him anymore, I gotta call it out
lNS34gh.jpeg
Xmtxnzg.jpeg
bhlgoZa.jpeg
BDX5oRY.jpeg
ilXQ2WU.jpeg
7ehn6pE.jpeg
it's actually insane how much better it looks, and folk is shitting on it. Original game had awful face animations too. they were so late... how is it now? Hair for one looks insane on that old shrink dude

Wtf is going on with the comments on this game all around? People look much more realistic on the new game... the lightning is different for sure, not worse or better, different.

Textures are muuuuch better, clothes, vegetations is more densely detailed, snow looks amazing.

Just wtf are these people smoking. It looks objectively better. A gen ahead.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Started the PS5 version. As soon as you get control after everyone talking, game started skipping on camera movement and crashed 5 seconds later.

Fantastic intro.

edit: Working fine after the crash thankfully.

Looks great in stills but a lot of fizzling edges in motion, the film grain looks like shit so best to turn it off asap. The performance is also pretty poor. Looks like bad frame pacing, either that or its dropping a lot of small frames.

Last edited:

TGO

theye remade it but didn't put the cinematic effott to make sure it fit original
Hard disagree, I believe they actually fixed some flaws from the original, the biggest thing people say that has ruined it is the beginning when it is dusk, the game now begins at dusk and when Chris says he wants to get to the lodge before it gets dark.
His comment now makes more sense because there is still light, whereas the original was already night out so...the dialogue didn't make sense.
Sam also says she forgot how beautiful the place was when looking into a vista with the sunset
ZTtYLTo.jpeg

This was just dark with snowing mountains in the original.
Which just made you think...okay sure.
They also changed the music from the beginning....oh no
But they replace it with In For The Kill by La Roux.
The game still has it's blue hue after sunset
But more muted without the crushed blacks the original had and now characters have a more natural skin tone to match their environment.
So if anything they fix the over zealous colour grading while maintaining the look of the original.
JRqGvIN.jpeg
031ShQ7.jpeg
DWVaF4B.jpeg
KxIsCWo.jpeg
bnHT8l3.jpeg

Started the PS5 version. As soon as you get control after everyone talking, game started skipping on camera movement and crashed 5 seconds later.

Fantastic intro.

edit: Working fine after the crash thankfully.

Looks great in stills but a lot of fizzling edges in motion, the film grain looks like shit so best to turn it off asap. The performance is also pretty poor. Looks like bad frame pacing, either that or its dropping a lot of small frames.
That's unfortunate first impression, luckily it is random and not consistent as I haven't encountered that or crashes yet 🤞
And yes I think it's frame pacing, I don't think the frame rate is actually dropping much.
Fizzling I'm not sure about, did you turn off motion blur?
I think I dropped mine down to medium and turned off the grain, don't think it's needed

Last edited:

adamsapple

Fizzling I'm not sure about, did you turn off motion blur?

Yes I've also dropped it to medium.

And holy shit the frame pacing on this pre-rendered video file is the worst I've ever seen.

I had to pause it in the middle to make sure the game wasn't about to crash again, lol.

Reactions: TGO

TGO

Yes I've also dropped it to medium.

And holy shit the frame pacing on this pre-rendered video file is the worst I've ever seen.

I had to pause it in the middle to make sure the game wasn't about to crash again, lol.

Yes that's the one I kept mentioning, not sure why they did it pre-rendered as the in-game looks better.
But being a video it shouldn't do that so it should be a quick fix.
Sadly it looks like they assumed it would play just fine...they was wrong.

Edit, after watching your footage I noticed yours wasn't as bad as mine when I saw it
Mine played a lot worse 😂

Last edited:

adamsapple

Edit, after watching your footage I noticed yours wasn't as bad as mine when I saw it
Mine played a lot worse 😂

Worse than mine? Jeese.

There was supposed to be a launch day update, maybe that 'fixed' it a little bit.

In general, the performance is leaving a lot to be desired here.

TGO

Worse than mine? Jeese.

There was supposed to be a launch day update, maybe that 'fixed' it a little bit.

In general, the performance is leaving a lot to be desired here.
It's frame pacing, luckily you don't have to roll dodge or parry.
And it's a easy fix.... except for Fromsoft.

Top Bottom