• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shirrako: Until Dawn Remake is a technical mess

pasterpl

All these Sony remakes make no sense. Who asked for this or the horizon remake? And I don't forget how they unlisted the Horizon Forbidden West from their PS+ subscription and how they doubled the Zero Dawn's price after the Remaster announcement. Fuck Sony with these cheap tactics.
Make sense for Sony bank accounts.

It looks shockingly atrocious. Character models have been downgraded, their eyes and facial mo-cap looks noticeably worse and the entire color pallet is orange now for some fucking reason.

All they needed to do was bump the texture quality and resolution, but no, they completely ruined it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It looks shockingly atrocious. Character models have been downgraded, their eyes and facial mo-cap looks noticeably worse and the entire color pallet is orange now for some fucking reason.

All they needed to do was bump the texture quality and resolution, but no, they completely ruined it.

The opening takes place in sunlight now?

Not sure if I like some of the color grading / lighting differences, hmm.

hussar16

The first one scene loghtning was accounted for what thry wanted to portray here its just random

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

They didn't "need" to do anything. They wanted to remake it and did, leaving you with the option to not buy it.

They also didn't ruin the original as that still exists. How it fairs next to this video? I'll report back in a few hours after I've had a few hours with it, but I know it hasn't been downgraded without even looking at that video. All assets have been rebuilt, so preference =! downgrade.

Fucking hell. The warmer color palette does not help at all. Also, why did they have to change the camera... it was so good... -_-

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fucking hell. The warmer color palette does not help at all. Also, why did they have to change the camera... it was so good... -_-
They changed the colour from spooky Friday the 13th to Gladiator copper. Weird choice.

What probably happened is if they kept the original dark black/grey/blue hues, you couldnt see any improved details because it's too dark. So they brightened it up.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

Why is it that when people look to compare things they always go to pre-rendered cutscenes of the old thing to diminish the really more important improvements to in-game graphics?

Played about an hour and so far seems good. Some brief hitching, audio mix seems weird (for me at least) in terms of volume levels and the odd small dialogue just being skipped or missing. Some faces have looked awkward in certain scenes but nothing major.
Graphically, it looks great in some places and good in others. I had to turn off 1 of the other shadow settings as shadows were popping and fading in like crazy. The shadows also look quite low resolution too, but I don't know if it's another setting I need to tweak (everything is maxed out apart from the previously mentioned optional shadow effect). I am playing in 32:9 aspect ratio so that maybe could also be an issue.
Regarding 32:9, I had to change the aspect ratio to "Free" to get it to fill the screen (it filled the screen on the main menu, but playing in game it switched to 21:9) The biggest pain was the seemingly optional PSN sign in, as I kept having to ALT Tab as it didn't pop up over the game screen and I kept getting that Windows error sound, but nothing crashed. It was just a bit messy. I don't know if it's a stylistic choice, but the subtitles can sometimes have this weird effect on them, making them break and kinda get distorted. I don't remember that from the original, but could be normal.
Some, I'm guessing, DLSS or frame gen can cause some pixelated effects for a few seconds on lighting and shadows. Haven't had an issue with colours etc The game still looks like I remember it so far, blue-ish and dark outside, while the Doctors room has started off warm and calm, while using HDR.

There are differences already with extra scenes and character placements etc but nothing drastic. The songs are different too, but nothing offensive yet, at least to me. Character models have changed slightly too on some characters and their voices seem a bit different, especially the Doctor. I haven't played the game since PS4 days, so maybe my memory is not accurate. Overall, looking forward to jumping back in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom