• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shirrako: Until Dawn Remake is a technical mess

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
It looks shockingly atrocious. Character models have been downgraded, their eyes and facial mo-cap looks noticeably worse and the entire color pallet is orange now for some fucking reason.

All they needed to do was bump the texture quality and resolution, but no, they completely ruined it.

lfzMCnV.jpeg

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Fucking hell

PC will need mods to "downgrade" to original

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Thanks?

Would have made a thread but hardly anyone's covered the game.
To be fair there is a bit of stuff in the game most places thesedays won't be happy about still being present.
Straight off the bat Brett Dalton does a Gay impression which I imagine some sites won't like.
They kept Jessica in her Bra & Underpants.
The game literally oozes with stuff they would be triggered by.
But I'm sure the reviews will come eventually and Silent Hill 2 is probably priority at the moment.

The animations are literally recycled from the old code (and the only things that are). It's all of Supermassive's original "jank", only difference is it is more noticeable now because of the improvements with newer releases.
I don't think so. Watch the opening prank scene - there are all new janky animations that aren't in the original, and changes to the animations when characters move and speak.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't think so. Watch the opening prank scene - there are all new janky animations that aren't in the original, and changes to the animations when characters move and speak.
Doesn't matter, the original was just as rough. The only scene totally redone is the opening scene and that doesn't remove the rest of the game (which is exactly as I stated).

Last edited:

TGO

lfzMCnV.jpeg

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Fucking hell

PC will need mods to "downgrade" to original
It's the lighting and I don't think that's real-time either
the character models in game are way better
d6JUxq0.jpeg

EQHNi3f.png

captainnapalm captainnapalm
All the alternative scene's are from the original production, the only new one is this

Last edited:

midnightAI

All these Sony remakes make no sense. Who asked for this or the horizon remake? And I don't forget how they unlisted the Horizon Forbidden West from their PS+ subscription and how they doubled the Zero Dawn's price after the Remaster announcement. Fuck Sony with these cheap tactics.
This one does make sense though, they are rebooting it ready for a sequel and there is (supposedly) a film coming

Zero Dawn also makes sense in that it helps Nixxes get fully used to Decima (Nixxes becoming a remake studio like BluePoint? Using Decima?), also it's a $10 PS5 upgrade to a game that sold 10's of millions that won't be a vast amount of work, financially it makes perfect sense.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's the lighting and I don't think that's real-time either
the character models in game are way better
Yeah, seems to be a lot of misleading coverage of the game and it's not just from people in here either.

That said, the one thing that really needed a considerable fix was that opening cutscene and it seems like a lot focus on that.

If they are really using the same rigging as the original that was a bad idea because Supermassive have refined their presentation in their newer games in the years since. I played Man of Medan a while back and the characters move and speak more naturally in that game, which is from 2019, than this remake.

TGO

Yeah, seems to be a lot of misleading coverage of the game and it's not just from people in here either.

That said, the one thing that really needed a considerable fix was that opening cutscene and it seems like a lot focus on that.
I mean I have to play more but from what I've played that's the only part that jumped out at me.
You could see it with just the bus driving up the road that something was wrong.
To me considering how games do ship these days, for a team that's had its staff cut a month before launch, some minor bugs & a late review code is surprisingly less than most triple AAA studios get away with.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
If they are really using the same rigging as the original that was a bad idea because Supermassive have refined their presentation in their newer games in the years since. I played Man of Medan a while back and the characters move and speak more naturally in that game, which is from 2019, than this remake.
Yes, Supermassive's newer stuff is a lot better and animation is the only area of this game I wish had seen a bit more improvement.

TGO TGO

Agreed!

Killer8

It looks shockingly atrocious. Character models have been downgraded, their eyes and facial mo-cap looks noticeably worse and the entire color pallet is orange now for some fucking reason.

All they needed to do was bump the texture quality and resolution, but no, they completely ruined it.

This barely even resembles Peter Stormare any more.

TGO

I always thought the Dark Pictures Games was a step down from Until Dawn in that department, The Quarry was an improvement.

I always thought the Dark Pictures Games was a step down from Until Dawn in that department, The Quarry was an improvement.
Nah - Man of Medan is still fresh in my mind. The flow of the scenes and the way the characters move are more seamless, though there are still janky moments.

hNzyANa.jpeg

TGO

Nah - Man of Medan is still fresh in my mind. The flow of the scenes and the way the characters move are more seamless, though there are still janky moments.

hNzyANa.jpeg
Don't know Shawn Ashmore's character was janky as fuck and laughable, it looked like a low budget version of Until Dawn and that includes the PS5 version which I have.
Anyway here's Gamingblot's Review

I will say there was a couple of pauses in their footage that I didn't experience, like when she runs after her sister at the beginning.
That didn't happen on my playthrough.
It might be random though.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Don't know Shawn Ashmore's character was janky as fuck and laughable, it looked like a low budget version of Until Dawn and that includes the PS5 version which I have.
I will say there was a couple of pauses in their footage that I didn't experience, like when she runs after her sister at the beginning.
Yeah, Man of Medan is the worst example. The Quarry is their best looker/"mover" to date.

Yeah, Shawn Ashmore didn't look great, but the way the characters walk and talk in Man of Medan is pretty seamless 95% of the time. The characters in the Until Dawn remake still move in that slightly stiff video game way, which I guess is a holdover from the 2015 game.

The remake looks very good otherwise, but the animations are a bit of a problem.

TGO

Yeah, Shawn Ashmore didn't look great, but the way the characters walk and talk in Man of Medan is pretty seamless 95% of the time. The characters in the Until Dawn remake still move in that slightly stiff video game way, which I guess is a holdover from the 2015 game.

The remake looks very good otherwise, but the animations are a bit of a problem.
I get what you mean, and yes it's a shame they didn't update them.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I get what you mean, and yes it's a shame they didn't update them.
Most likely time, because it is the only standout against the otherwise huge graphical increase. If anything, I wish Supermassive had been tasked with it and the opening scene makes me wish they had re-imagined the game altogether. I liked the added context of it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah, looks like they're using the exact same animation rigging from the original game, no changes there.

Look at how Chris pivots on an axis, like the PS1 Resident Evil characters.

6o9Vlpu.gif

The Quarry is a generational leap in its animations, by comparison. It has its share of wonky faces here and there, but overall it's a much better product.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

doesn't bode well for ballistic moon...

is this another Firewalk/Ascendant studios disaster coming? (to be clear I'm talking about these "Big name from big pub/dev starts their own company and is coming for those AAAs" studios that are all flopping with their first game)

Last edited:

UnrealEck

At some points the remake looked worse to me from memory of the original. It seems the lighting can make the game look a good bit better or a little worse/different. That's playing with ray tracing and everything else max on the PC.
It's usually the eyes and the motion capture seems like it doesn't perfectly line up with the new models. I mean the capture would have been perfected specifically with the original assets. Overall the remake looks a good bit better. A lot of assets in the original were lower quality.

Looking at the screenshots here reminds me how far realtime graphics have come. I remember humans were always really hard to replicate.

TGO

Yeah, looks like they're using the exact same animation rigging from the original game, no changes there.

Look at how Chris pivots on an axis, like the PS1 Resident Evil characters.

6o9Vlpu.gif

The Quarry is a generational leap in its animations, by comparison. It has its share of wonky faces here and there, but overall it's a much better product.
It's already been mentioned before release that they used all the data from the original production, character models are the from the the original capture performances & facial data
They're just lit differently, if they change it to match the originals environment lighting it would look the same but better.
The newly captured and created stuff was with Hayden
At some points the remake looked worse to me from memory of the original. It seems the lighting can make the game look a good bit better or a little worse/different. That's playing with ray tracing and everything else max on the PC.
It's usually the eyes and the motion capture seems like it doesn't perfectly line up with the new models. I mean the capture would have been perfected specifically with the original assets. Overall the remake looks a good bit better. A lot of assets in the original were lower quality.

Looking at the screenshots here reminds me how far realtime graphics have come. I remember humans were always really hard to replicate.
As said above, it's mostly the lighting differences.
I understand why they changed it, originally at the beginning they mention getting to the lodge before it's dark (but it's already pitch black 🤔)
And Sam looks into a vista and says she forgot how beautiful it was there...(yet again, pitch black 😂)
In the bottom pic, since the eye on the left (her right eye) has so much shadow it makes it look like she's cross eyed. lol. Good art design devs!
Reflect light Vs Direct light.
Probably got real time shadowing which is not always the best choice artistically.
Probably should have do it manually for that part

Top Bottom