• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony and Microsoft do a deal for Crash and Spyro?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Sony is obviously investing more in IP and family-friendly IP to be specific. We see Astro Bot but also Lego Horizon Adventure.

Meanwhile, it's fairly clear that Microsoft isn't that interested is cultivating Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon/Skylanders.

Is it time for Sony to reach out and try to acquire the trademarks? IP deals are notoriously difficult, but they do happen. Microsoft sold the rights to Hi-Fi Rush or let go of them. Square Enix sold Tomb Raider.

I'm not sure these properties even need to go back to their original studios, but I think Sony would do more with them than Microsoft, especially if they want to tap back into their roots. Asobi might be well suited to making these games in the future.

Does a deal make sense for Sony and does it make sense for Microsoft?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Eh, nah. I don’t really think Crash or Spyro have that much marketing power on young kids anymore. It’d be nostalgic for us, but probably not worth it for Sony or MS.

Plus, if MS revives those franchises, they’ll probably end up on Sony consoles eventually anyway.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Eh, nah. I don’t really think Crash or Spyro have that much marketing power on young kids anymore. It’d be nostalgic for us, but probably not worth it for Sony or MS.

Plus, if MS revives those franchises, they’ll probably end up on Sony consoles eventually anyway.

I mean how much marketing power did Prince of Persia have in 2002 before Sands of Time? It's really about what you're willing to put into it.

With Skylanders, Spyro is probably more popular with kids than the original games ever were.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Crash and Spyro are prominently featured on the Toys For Bob homepage just below where they highlight being an independent game studio. If they are no longer part of the company that owns those characters I wonder why the characters and games are still so prominently displayed? I guess they could have licensed them to display on the website, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually still working on those games under contract for Microsoft.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why would Sony pay for Crash and Spyro when they have a great new mascot in Astro? Key word is new, not some old shit they're repackaging.

With Skylanders, Spyro is probably more popular with kids than the original games ever were.
The last Skylanders was in 2016.... The kids who grew up playing it are not kids anymore, or won't be for much longer.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Why would Sony pay for Crash and Spyro when they have a great new mascot in Astro? Key word is new, not some old shit they're repackaging.

Why does Nintendo make Kirby and Donkey Kong games when they have Mario?

Why did Nintendo bring back so many classic character for Smash Bros?

diffusionx

Gold Member

Why did Nintendo bring back so many classic character for Smash Bros?
Well, they own those franchises for one. And they've cultivated them over the years.

Why would Sony pay real money for franchises that have been mismanaged for decades.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Well, they own those franchises for one. And they've cultivated them over the years.

Why would Sony pay real money for franchises that have been mismanaged for decades.

Like I said, Sony clearly wants to promote more IP and more family friendly IP.

It's easier to buy IP that is closely related to the core of PlayStation history and Sony has made deals with Activision multiple times now to incorporate these characters, so it isn't lost on them.

Bernardougf

My son loves crash games.. he plays them over and over... so dont know about kids dont liking it

Neolombax

Dont think its necessary. Sony has quite a few mascots of its own. From Ape Escape, Sackboy, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper. I'm hopeful that Astrobot is a financial success, so that we can have back these mascot games like the PS2 era. Also there's a chance the next Spyro or Crash games to be multiplatform, so there's that too.

nial

The problem is that R&C and Sackboy are basically Sony's equivalent to those. A lot points to Media Molecule's new IP being a platformer as well.
diffusionx diffusionx is right, Sony doesn't really need either of them, Astro Bot is fine as it is.

Bernardougf

It's easier to buy IP that is closely related to the core of PlayStation history and Sony has made deals with Activision multiple times now to incorporate these characters, so it isn't lost on them.
You say that based on the one platform game releasead every 4 years ? Or Am I missing another ? Genuine question.

nial

You say that based on the one platform game releasead every 4 years ? Or Am I missing another ? Genuine question.
Lego Horizon Adventures, Media Molecule's next game, probably some externally-developed projects we don't know about. But Lego Horizon is the one clue, you almost never stuff like this happening, ever.

Bernardougf

Lego Horizon Adventures, Media Molecule's next game, probably some externally-developed projects we don't know about. But Lego Horizon is the one clue, you almost never stuff like this happening, ever.
Ill give you lego I have forgotten about that .. unannounced vaporware is a nono in my books

diffusionx

Gold Member

If I was Sony, I would honestly rather just revive a long dead franchise like Ape Escape and see what I could do with it for a new audience, if I wanted to go down that route. But I still think it's better to try to make stuff that is new for that audience, or keep working with Sackboy and R&C.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
If I was Sony, I would honestly rather just revive a long dead franchise like Ape Escape and see what I could do with it for a new audience, if I wanted to go down that route. But I still think it's better to try to make stuff that is new for that audience, or keep working with Sackboy and R&C.

I see a lot of people bringing up Ape Escape and it is surprising because the games were never that popular to begin with.

Sony has had a lot of mascot characters, but it doesn't mean they sold well.

Crash and Spyro actually did.

Nope. Just keep it up with Astro, Ratchet and Clank, and Sackboy. If possible, dig up Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Ape Escape.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I see a lot of people bringing up Ape Escape and it is surprising because the games were never that popular to begin with.

Sony has had a lot of mascot characters, but it doesn't mean they sold well.

Crash and Spyro actually did.
The sales from 1997 don't really matter, at all. We're talking about selling it to new kids. And the nostalgia well for the older guys who played it as kids was already tapped with the remakes and Crash 4.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
No, make new stuff like Astrobot instead. I see no irreplaceable value in Crash or Spyro beyond just nostalgia.

crash and spyro dont sell.

Crash is a decent seller.
Nsane Trilogy sold 20 million copies and even Crash 4 reportedly sold over 5 million which is pretty solid for a cartoony 3D platformer that's not made by Nintendo

Bernardougf

Did the Germans call us before bombing Pearl Harbor
FGqZgDh.gif

Bernardougf

How is a game scheduled for Q4 vaporware... It's already been played by the press who thought it looked and played great...
It has a name at least ? One video ? Anything ? If not..for me is vaporware.. you may have a different opinion is ok.

And if by "press" you mean the likes of IGN and Co. for me they dont exist... if you have some known independent youtuber talking about it I may check it out and then Ill happily agree with your point.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The sales from 1997 don't really matter, at all. We're talking about selling it to new kids. And the nostalgia well for the older guys who played it as kids was already tapped with the remakes and Crash 4.

You're ignoring transmedia.

Which is exactly why these IP would probably be more valuable to Sony than Microsoft.

Two new IP for Sony Pictures Animation to work with and try to cultivate.

It's like saying, they should make Top Gun Maverick because the first movie came out in 1986... yet here we are and Maverick made 1.5 billion....

no need for secret deals

MS owns the IPs
and they can make all the games they want and publish them in any platform they desire.

Sony shouldn't be concern/involved at all.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
6cd1e199-ae8c-4e81-83f8-a18bd0065806_text.gif

both of those had their chance to make a comeback and they both fizzled.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
no need for secret deals

MS owns the IPs
and they can make all the games they want and publish them in any platform they desire.

Sony shouldn't be concern/involved at all.

WTF said anything about secret deals?

Anyone reading this would understand that it mean should Sony buy the trademarks back. Do you know what else would have helped? Reading the OP.

WTF said anything about secret deals?

Anyone reading this would understand that it mean should Sony buy the trademarks back. Do you know what else would have helped? Reading the OP.
i read it. but you don't have a sense of humor.

still Sony doesn't need approach MS at all.

Kdad

The spin off in movies and merch might be...both characters could lend themselves to movies

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It has a name at least ? One video ? Anything ? If not..for me is vaporware.. you may have a different opinion is ok.

And if by "press" you mean the likes of IGN and Co. for me they dont exist... if you have some known independent youtuber talking about it I may check it out and then Ill happily agree with your point.

This makes no sense.

MS has no desire to do Sony any favors. And Sony sees little value in spending to acquire IP (particularly those ones).

That said, I support the sentiment.

LRKD

Yeah not sure why op thinks sony would be interested in those franchises, they aren't even interested in the ones they still own like Sly Cooper, Ape Escape, Jak & Daxter, Little Big Planet, Medievil. IF we lived in a universe where sony still owned Spyro/Crash, they'd be just as dead. Sony is just as bad of an IP holder, as xbox, and you are delusional if you think otherwise.

Agent X

Does a deal make sense for Sony and does it make sense for Microsoft?

From Sony's perspective, it could make sense. I would trust Sony if they were given the opportunity to rekindle the magic, although a lot of that work was accomplished by Activision with their games that still exist for sale on PS4 and PS5. Meanwhile, Sony already has a lot of dormant platform franchises in their stable that they could revive. Buying the IPs would at least give them full control of the original PS1 renditions of those games, for what that's worth.

It makes virtually no sense for Microsoft to sell, though. They might not be doing much with Crash and Spyro at the moment, but (unlike Sony) they don't have many other similar games in their archives. The scant few other platformers that they do own don't have anywhere near the following of even Sony's B-tier games. Therefore, these are valuable IPs for them to keep in their pocket, in case they do have the sudden urge to create a new platformer.

Sony would certainly be a better caretaker of the Crash and Spyro properties, but Microsoft needs Crash and Spyro much more than Sony does.

SHA

No, it's niche in front of astro bot and people would skip it automatically, that's the most aggressive consumer move, you can't trust them 100%, it has nothing to do with fanboys.

Last edited:

sainraja

Crash and Spyro are prominently featured on the Toys For Bob homepage just below where they highlight being an independent game studio. If they are no longer part of the company that owns those characters I wonder why the characters and games are still so prominently displayed? I guess they could have licensed them to display on the website, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually still working on those games under contract for Microsoft.
They can display them because it is their work. Licensing is going to be an issue for them if they were making another and if they are, they could be under contract for Microsoft as you've stated but I don't think showing work they did on their website would require a license.

Last edited:

odhiex

No, I would be interested only if Naughty Dog is making the new Crash or Insomniac to make the new Spyro.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
From Sony's perspective, it could make sense. I would trust Sony if they were given the opportunity to rekindle the magic, although a lot of that work was accomplished by Activision with their games that still exist for sale on PS4 and PS5. Meanwhile, Sony already has a lot of dormant platform franchises in their stable that they could revive. Buying the IPs would at least give them full control of the original PS1 renditions of those games, for what that's worth.

Even though Activision brought the franchises back, they didn't really nurture them. Sony is probably one of the few companies that could realistically put hundreds of millions of dollars into these franchises across gaming, movies, and tv.

Not sure which platform franchise you feel is more dominant than these two.

It makes virtually no sense for Microsoft to sell, though. They might not be doing much with Crash and Spyro at the moment, but (unlike Sony) they don't have many other similar games in their archives. The scant few other platformers that they do own don't have anywhere near the following of even Sony's B-tier games. Therefore, these are valuable IPs for them to keep in their pocket, in case they do have the sudden urge to create a new platformer.

Sony would certainly be a better caretaker of the Crash and Spyro properties, but Microsoft needs Crash and Spyro much more than Sony does.

It does make sense for Microsoft. Despite what you think, they need cash. It's literally why they're closing studios and putting their games on PS5 and Switch.

They have a shit or get off the pot situation.

And simply farming out their game to Toys for Bob without any big budget push probably isn't going to make the games more relevant.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
They can display them because it is their work. Licensing is going to be an issue for them if they were making another and if they are, they could be under contract for Microsoft as you've stated but I don't think showing work they did on their website would require a license.

Yeah, I think Naughty Dog and Insomniac still have mentions and visuals regarding the work on these franchises.

Top Bottom