• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim lead designer says it will be 'almost impossible' for Elder Scrolls 6 to meet fan expectations:

Draugoth

Gold Member

In a recent interview with Kiwi Talkz, Bethesda veteran Bruce Nesmith says it will be "almost impossible" for the game to meet the expectations of fans.

"The fans who want to buy Elder Scrolls 6, their expectation is going to be almost impossible to meet," Nesmith said. "And marketing departments just put their heads in their hands and weep at this. Because it's like, 'Okay, if it isn't perfect, it doesn't get a 95-plus on Metacritic, we're a failure'."

Source

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
My expectation is that it's going to be very similar to Starfield, but have more handcrafted areas. In the past, they did their big engine and asset jump from Morrowind to Oblivion. Then they put out 3 games that were mostly similar level of graphics and tech: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim. This time Starfield is the big engine jump. They're putting out another game similar to Starfield.

The only things they really need to do to win my approval are:
1) Improve melee combat as much as they improved shooting in Starfield. It's not Call of Duty level but everything feels pretty good.
2) Improve writing and quest complexity. They did this on quite a few of the factions and side quests in Starfield. If they just keep building on that, they can exceed expectations.
3) Improve RPG depth. There are hints that they went more hardcore for Starfield, and less casual like they had been on Skyrim. Keep embracing RPG complexity, navigation / exploration complexity and it can exceed expectations.

It's not going to be a 95 rated game, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Going Well Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

If the writing quality is like Starfield, then they can already fuck off.

Tsaki

Fallout 4 was the worst mainline Fallout game. Fallout 76 was the worst BGS game and a bad game period. Starfield was the worst BGS, single player game. There is a clear line of stagnation for this studio since Skyrim released. ES6 will fail to meet fan expectations because BGS is incompetent to meet them.
It also doesn't help that they showed that they are working on the game over 6 years ago. Can't complain about high expectations when by the time it releases it would have been in (supposed) dev for 10 years.

Last edited:

laynelane

Bethesda has already run up against the wall of insurmountable expectations with Starfield, which by most measures was good but not great. That's resulted in a sub-60% user rating on Steam and a general sense that the game was somehow a failure—or at the very least, a fumble.

If the takeaway from the criticisms leveled at Starfield is simply that fans expected too much - I'm not getting a great feeling about any future projects from Bethesda.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Fallout 4 was the worst mainline Fallout game. Fallout 76 was the worst BGS game and a bad game period. Starfield was the worst BGS, single player game. There is a clear line of stagnation for this studio since Skyrim released. ES6 will fail to meet fan expectations because BGS is incompetent to meet them.
If only it were just stagnation. I’d argue their games are getting worse.

samoilaaa

anyone who expects ES6 to be any good deserves the hurt their gonna get

bethesda's main focus is size , big worlds filled with nothing , i knew starfield was gonna be shit the moment they used "The game has 1000 planets" as a selling point

LordNerevar76

Neo Member
My expectation is that it's going to be very similar to Starfield, but have more handcrafted areas. In the past, they did their big engine and asset jump from Morrowind to Oblivion. Then they put out 3 games that were mostly similar level of graphics and tech: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim. This time Starfield is the big engine jump. They're putting out another game similar to Starfield.

The only things they really need to do to win my approval are:
1) Improve melee combat as much as they improved shooting in Starfield. It's not Call of Duty level but everything feels pretty good.
2) Improve writing and quest complexity. They did this on quite a few of the factions and side quests in Starfield. If they just keep building on that, they can exceed expectations.
3) Improve RPG depth. There are hints that they went more hardcore for Starfield, and less casual like they had been on Skyrim. Keep embracing RPG complexity, navigation / exploration complexity and it can exceed expectations.

It's not going to be a 95 rated game, but I'm really looking forward to it.
It needs an interconnected world too

Todd has already mentioned it will be made to be supported for long time.

Which means day 1 it won’t be in best possible shape.

They don’t care, they are with MS now.

Give me a cohesive open world with NPC's with schedules that I don't have to zone in to get them to do(Oblivion) and global illumination and I'll at least like the game.

Edit: And at least a modicum of self-preservation for the npcs as well.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Not the way Bethesda make games now, no it won't, but the store won't have a single bug and will just work!, and they will screw the mods up outside the creation club as well,

At the moment i'm not even bothered about TES 6 due to the time gap since Skyrim, i never thought i would say that!.

Last edited:

Assaulty

One big open world, modern tech, filled with POIs.

Not various worlds that are blank slates.

Literally all I want from ES6. I really didn't care for the Starfield setup of having all these empty worlds I didn't care about and a couple of strongholds/city hubs that were pretty cool, but didn't save the game from the empytyness of the rest.

I can still launch skyrim and have a great time. I just want that with modern tech.

clarky

Gold Member
I know. Its still an excuse many developers use, besides, Im sure hes still friends with Todd and others at Bethesda.
I don't follow. Your saying hes making excuse for other people? Why would he give a shit? If anything i see it as him saying no way will they make anything as good he did. And he's obviously right.

Sybrix

Literally all I want from ES6. I really didn't care for the Starfield setup of having all these empty worlds I didn't care about and a couple of strongholds/city hubs that were pretty cool, but didn't save the game from the empytyness of the rest.

I can still launch skyrim and have a great time. I just want that with modern tech.

Trust me, after Starfield people dont expect much

The Shattered Space DLC coming looks like they have learned.

It's one world only with what looks to be lots of POI.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Trust me, after Starfield people dont expect much
That's the easy drive by post, but in reality it's just not true. Everyone will once again be in complete shock that the game is on creation engine and has loading screens. Everyone will once again expect the absolute peak in gaming due to it being a 1st party game and long running series. That's part of what they need to overcome, but everyone will absolutely maximize expectations regardless of what they claim now.

Just look at how tightly people on here clinged to that "game of the generation" standard based on one thread on here. They do that on purpose to inflate expectations so anything below a 95 is a failure. They will absolutely do it again.

Last edited:

SHA

Skyrim is an average game to me so my expectations for vi is whatever, I don't really understand hard-core gamers, you want something great, play older games, they still exist for a reason.

BlackTron

They will turn into a much bigger company cause of that partnership.

Look at Rare.

Rare is not typically used an an example of what great things happen when folded into Microsoft. Maybe they're bigger in office space but not games or relevance. They churned out bangers on Nintendo only to make one game people care about in what...15 years? I won't even talk about Kinect.

That hollow shell of former greatness shouldn't be your poster child for acquisitions.

Starfield was a game held back by a dated engine that doesn't allow seamless travel and some truly lazy game design (proecedural generation and cut and paste locations for 98% of its content) that made it ultimately a mediocre game for me, and easily Bethesda's worst RPG to date. The story was also laughably bad, sub-B-movie standard in my opinion.

I expect Elder Scrolls 6 will be better but, unfortunately, it will likely still be hampered by the dated game engine that will require loading in and out of buildings and cities but at least the developers won't be able to just click a button this time round and fill 98% of the game with boring randomly generated content. At least I hope they won't.

I personally think that Bethesda's tired formulaic RPGs could do with a radical overhaul to the writing and characters, which have never been particularly good or memorable in any of their games to date in my opinion. The dialogue scenes also need updating to offer something more dynamic and interesting than just looking directly at a badly animated NPC. These are all things that have not aged well in their games. They also need to address their bugs better but I suspect all of these things will only be possible if they finally ditch that creaky old Creation engine which seems like it is held together by duct tape and glue at this point!

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Skyrim is an average game to me so my expectations for vi is whatever, I don't really understand hard-core gamers, you want something great, play older games, they still exist for a reason.
Plenty of great games release each and every year. Older games still exist to take up space in my loft or in my steam library.

Duchess

Controversial opinion here, but ...

This is where AI would really makes things incredible. Having AI NPC agents who are able to realistically react to situations and create new storylines, events, and other emergent gameplay would be incredible.

I don't see it happening for many years yet, though.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Beyond the necessary craftsmanship, projects of this scale and complexity, and high expectations, should at least begin with minimal technical debt.. No limiting legacy crap from the Gamebryo engine please.. I mean, providing ample flexibility for artists is essential as a solid foundation to create a seamless experience of this kind.

other people
friends. He's not right. You missed the most important part of my reply. Expectations have been met many times. Its not impossible at all, therefore it's an excuse. You may call it an indirect excuse if that pleases you, my point stands.

Last edited:
Rare is not typically used an an example of what great things happen when folded into Microsoft. Maybe they're bigger in office space but not games or relevance. They churned out bangers on Nintendo only to make one game people care about in what...15 years? I won't even talk about Kinect.

That hollow shell of former greatness shouldn't be your poster child for acquisitions.
This is old news.

clarky

Gold Member
friends. He's not right. You missed the most important part of my reply. Expectations have been met many times. Its not impossible at all, therefore it's an excuse. You may call it an indirect excuse if that pleases you, my point stands.
It would be an excuse if he was actually working on the game, as it stands hes not. So he needs to excuse nothing.

But i do agree that expectations can be exceeded when the bar is incredibly high, but not often.

Top Bottom