• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim lead designer says it will be 'almost impossible' for Elder Scrolls 6 to meet fan expectations:

killatopak

Gold Member
3tSR8qf.jpeg

clarky

Gold Member
A person can make an excuse for other persons my guy.
Absolutley, but in this case i dont think that is what he is doing if you listen to him. The game isn't even in full production as far as im aware.

Also following a genre defining game (one of the best of that generation) with something better is super difficult thats all he is saying. See Super Mario Sunshine, MGS4, GTAIV, RDR2 etc etc. All arguably worse than the games that came before.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
When it comes to Elder Scrolls, it seems easy for them to surpass expectations. Getting rid of that old tired engine and making melee combat 5/10 or better and I'll be floored.

Metnut

So lame. How about accepting the challenge and being excited to make something great to leave a true legacy behind? After all, they have resources behind them that most developers dream of having.

Also, maybe they shouldn’t have waited 15 years to make a sequel to their most popular game. It’s not our fault they’ve spent most of the past decade on Fallout76 and Starfield which no one wanted.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

From someone who loved Skyrim. I'm expecting it to be a huge disappointment. And that isnt because it isnt achievable. More Skyrim in a modern engine, with some decent writing and lots of polish would have me and I'm sure many others happy enough. But I think they'll fail just with the core fundamentals. This guys words have only further supported my view on that.

Madflavor

Gold Member
This game is still so far out from release it's not even funny. It's insane to me that there will likely be around a 20 year gap between Skyrim and TES:VI, I don't know how you do that.

Wildebeest

They delusionally think that people come to their games for their basically terrible stories and main characters. Things look brighter for them once they get past that and start adding fun sandbox activities, rewarding exploration, and goofy memorable side characters.

Last edited:
Absolutley, but in this case i dont think that is what he is doing if you listen to him.

Yes he is. If he had 0 connections to Todd and Bethesda I might be inclined towards his opinion a bit more. Skyrim was heavily carried by mods more than itself. Everybody knows this. Expectations for the next one arent impossible especially in these times.

xanaum

I feel like Bethesda has been so fucking dead since Fallout 76. What's left is just a carcass that keeps rotting game by game until there's nothing left.

niilokin

Ever more greater reason to stop diluting the gameplay and story for modern 'convenience'. Start looking back to games that had real depth to them, Morrowind is a good example... give players the feeling of achievment back (I don't mean Steam achievements). It's more rewarding and immersive than global illumination and 100km^2 landmasses.

Last edited:

Saber

I have no expectations for this game judging that they will reuse their old and buggy engime over and over.
This smell like excuse to me, similar to what they did to Starfield when they were making excuses for why empty planets were a thing.

Ever more greater reason to stop diluting the gameplay and story for modern 'convenience'. Start looking back to games that had real depth to them, Morrowind is a good example...
There are plenty of games today that scratch that itch (Morrowind) without frustrations involved.

Sea of Thieves with friends who know how to play gets there nicely.

Obviously, it also depends on what you are looking for. Its mainly an exploration game with cryptic hints.

hinch7

Well thats not promising at all. Someone at Microsoft needs to tighten up on their gaming PR because what the fuck is going on there.

midnightAI

That's the easy drive by post, but in reality it's just not true. Everyone will once again be in complete shock that the game is on creation engine and has loading screens. Everyone will once again expect the absolute peak in gaming due to it being a 1st party game and long running series. That's part of what they need to overcome, but everyone will absolutely maximize expectations regardless of what they claim now.

Just look at how tightly people on here clinged to that "game of the generation" standard based on one thread on here. They do that on purpose to inflate expectations so anything below a 95 is a failure. They will absolutely do it again.
I just wont be in shock over it, I have no expectations. It may have been a drive by post but its grounded in reality (for me). Starfield was a massive let-down, it should have been the perfect game for my tastes but its execution was severely lacking (for what I wanted). I just dont expect ES6 to be anything other than (and this may sound weird) Starfield on earth (by that I mean oversized maps with almost nothing to do in them that take ages to travel between quest markers (at least it should have horses to travel on so you dont have to walk everywhere), lots of backtracking, and plenty of loading screens)

To be honest, I wasnt even a massive fan of Skyrim but I really enjoyed ES4

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They have moved to this type of development. As seen in Starfield.

No need to be in denial, then disappointment.
Sure, are you following John Hodgman’s 8 keys to success for MS where redefining what success or failure especially mean so that failure is an asymptotic line making you by default a successful winner lol?

Wait until Starfield gets an actual sustained NMS like re-engineering before calling victory. One single planet paid DLC is not that.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Just look at how tightly people on here clinged to that "game of the generation" standard based on one thread on here. They do that on purpose to inflate expectations so anything below a 95 is a failure. They will absolutely do it again.
That’s not just the fault of a GAF thread. Microsoft very much contributes to the hysteria and they, along with their most ardent fans, are mocked because of it. Starfield wasn’t called a failure simply because of its 83 Metascore (which is respectable otherwise). It is because of the unrealistic expectations FANS and MICROSOFT put on it. Period.

Last edited:

hinch7

That’s not just the fault of a GAF thread. Microsoft very much contributes to the hysteria and they, along with their most ardent fans, are mocked because of it. Starfield wasn’t called a failure simply because of its 83 Metascore (which is respectable otherwise). It is because of the unrealistic expectations FANS and MICROSOFT put on it. Period.
Even without the expectations, the game isn't all that great. Not even sure if its even deserving of its meta score. The game is just average and decent at best.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Soule's gone and the lead designer is pissing himself already.

Looking good!

Sure, are you following John Hodgman’s 8 keys to success for MS where redefining what success or failure especially mean so that failure is an asymptotic line making you by default a successful winner lol?

Wait until Starfield gets an actual sustained NMS like re-engineering before calling victory. One single planet paid DLC is not that.
How can anyone play Starfield and not see all empty planets are for future content.

Tg89

With the current talent at Bethesda? Yeah, definitely impossible. They haven't made a good game in over a decade.

Fess

I like Starfield. I know I’ll play The Elder Scrolls VI for hundreds of hours.
Just don’t rush it, that’s the only advice I have for the team. If Microsoft wants TES6 to be a launch title for their next console, just ignore them if it’s getting stressful. Make sure to release the game when it’s truly ready instead, if that’s in 2035 then so be it. This thing of releasing a game halfbaked and keep updating it for years is very annoying, just means I’ll already be tired of the game once it has reached it’s best state.

I don't think they have to worry anymore. After the last couple of releases, expectations are going to be low. I would be happy if the game was an 8/10 and functioned. They haven't managed that, yet alone 95 in metacritic.

Shubh_C63

Gamers expectations for Bethesda games is such low bar that only Pokemon can cross it. Starfield being so mediocre is still a successful game.

ES6 gonna be barely above average and people will hate it and play it at the same time.

Sentenza

I learned my lesson so I'll let Starfield be the last time I deluded myself into thinking that "this time could be different" and BGS would be able to surprise me in a positive sense.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

ELDER SCROLLS VI is really only second to GTA 6. It's going to be a huge deal.

STARFIELD seems a mistake from a business POV, and we can all agree that if Bethesda had instead brought us FALLOUT 5 in synergy with the well-regarded Amazon TV show it would have blown Starfield's sales out the water. ESVI then becomes a reskin of Fallout 5 and is far faster and cheaper to make (instead they put countless hours into all these new space flight and procedural systems in Starfield that aren't going to be useful or applicable to helping with development of ESVI).

Hookshot

Gold Member
I think I preferred being lied to. "It's going to be the best thing ever!!!!11!" is just more exciting than this.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

If it's not next gen.. Then yes I will be dissapointed.

Because literally nothing in Starfield screams next gen. In fact, it comes across way more as a last gen kinda game.

I need them to STEP IT UP

Top Bottom