• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim lead designer says it will be 'almost impossible' for Elder Scrolls 6 to meet fan expectations:

niilokin

There are plenty of games today that scratch that itch (Morrowind) without frustrations involved.

Sea of Thieves with friends who know how to play gets there nicely.

Obviously, it also depends on what you are looking for. Its mainly an exploration game with cryptic hints.
Well I hope the developers look more into those games and find something great that could breathe more life to the next ES game. Personally for me it's the game I keep seeing dreams about:messenger_grinning_smiling:.

This is another reason why decade-long development cycles is a big problem.

Skyrim came out in 2011! If you were 10 when you first played Skyrim, you’re now 23 and still waiting for the sequel.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Absolutley, but in this case i dont think that is what he is doing if you listen to him. The game isn't even in full production as far as im aware.

Also following a genre defining game (one of the best of that generation) with something better is super difficult thats all he is saying. See Super Mario Sunshine, MGS4, GTAIV, RDR2 etc etc. All arguably worse than the games that came before.
I would argue that gta4 and rdr2 are better than the previous games or at the very least the opinion is divisive.

GymWolf

Gold Member
They have moved to this type of development. As seen in Starfield.

No need to be in denial, then disappointment.
I'm failing to see the difference with their previous output that never missed to be the laughing stock of the entire industry when it comes to optimization, bugs and glitches for every damn release they made.

What was the excuse before?

Last edited:
New engine with proper streaming for everything and no fucking load screens to enter any building. Hire writers who can craft interesting stories and quests.

Those two things would be the bare minimum to meet my expectations.

If they just do the same old shit on the same old engine they will indeed fall very, very short.

I say this as an OG Bethesda fan

ES6 will basically be slightly better looking than Starfield lacking the depth of even Skyrim in quest design. Shit will have bugs galore cause Bethesda. There will be only 2 or 3 viable builds. It will be severely lacking with the pseudo-immersive sim/emergent gameplay/out of the box quest solutions of the previous games. (even by the diminished Skyrim standards)

But you will have a large map.... cause apparently gamers like as large as possible maps. So yay? A whole lot more space to do the bugged filled Bethesda modern slop lacking versatile and improvisational gameplay options of the old ones.

There you go. I just gave away the future.

Last edited:

Hawk The Slayer

Neo Member
I wouldn't worry too much if I were him. A new single player Elder Scrolls or Fallout is going to be extremely huge no matter what. It ain't like Starfield where the whole setting seems boring to the point that even mods can't save it. Too many loyal fans for ESVI and Fallout V and with handcrafted places instead of randomly generated like Starfield so it's going to sell a lot no matter what. They'll be one of the largest games and most popular games out there once they come only surpassed by GTA VI in scale and sales. I can't wait till either of them come and all the mods that'll come from Nexus.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I would argue that gta4 and rdr2 are better than the previous games or at the very least the opinion is divisive.
Just some examples, and obviously my own opinion.

I hated RDR2, the controls and the insta fail missions drove me round the bend. GTAIV was boring as shit compared to Vice City and III.

Edit: The 2 expansions they released for IV were miles better than the base game though.

Last edited:

Pop

Well not really but ok. Already with the excuses

Bugthesda needs to get out of that shitty ass engine

I'm failing to see the difference with their previous output that never missed to be the laughing stock of the entire industry when it comes to optimization, bugs and glitches for every damn release they made.

What was the excuse before?
This game type that has real time, system generated animations, lip syncing, basically everything else …. It has some imperfections, is it that big a deal?

ItJustWorks

Neo Member
Oh yeah? My expectation is for them to trot out that tired old engine of theirs for another round.

Fucking surprise me. Please.
Exactly, Bethesda knows they Want to just rehash that same engine and use radiant quests again. They know it'll be another Stanfield. I truly don't think they have the right mindset any more to understand what they need to improve. They now just want to create a successful "formula" instead curated liece of art.

You know what's interesting, Bethesda went downhill with Skyrim. Skyrim was pretty soulless in comparison to the writing of oblivion/morrowind, and the rpg elements of morrowind and even oblivion. But that being their most successful title kind of put the nail in the coffin for them realizing that Skyrim was a step down. In their mind "more money=better game".

They'll never take a step back for the art form and look at elements previous games did better. Because they see Skyrim as the success. And I know I'm not the only guy that knows Skyrim was a step down. But what's interesting is....why are developers and gamers seemingly not quite the same breed? Despite one party actually making the games lol

Trogdor1123

He’s not wrong but they shouldn’t have showed it 6 years ago. People also remember how Skyrim is now, not how it launched which was far from perfect.

They kind of did it to themselves

GymWolf

Gold Member
This game type that has real time, system generated animations, lip syncing, basically everything else …. It has some imperfections, is it that big a deal?
That's not what i asked.

If the excuse for not being in the best shape at launch because they plan on supporting the game etc and it's a new internal policy, what was the excuse for their previous games that were not in the best shape possible at launch (to use an euphemism).

Unless i completed botched what you were trying to say.

Last edited:

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
I wouldn't worry too much if I were him. A new single player Elder Scrolls or Fallout is going to be extremely huge no matter what. It ain't like Starfield where the whole setting seems boring to the point that even mods can't save it. Too many loyal fans for ESVI and Fallout V and with handcrafted places instead of randomly generated like Starfield so it's going to sell a lot no matter what. They'll be one of the largest games and most popular games out there once they come only surpassed by GTA VI in scale and sales. I can't wait till either of them come and all the mods that'll come from Nexus.
Bethesda has stagnated as a studio. They used to be considered one of the best, outside of Rockstar. I wouldn't even put them in the top 10 anymore. The next Elder scrolls better come out before the Witcher 4, which will surely be the better mideval fantasy game between the two. CDPR is just way more talented studio than Bethesda. Bethesda hasn't been innovative in over a decade

ItJustWorks

Neo Member
So lame. How about accepting the challenge and being excited to make something great to leave a true legacy behind? After all, they have resources behind them that most developers dream of having.

Also, maybe they shouldn’t have waited 15 years to make a sequel to their most popular game. It’s not our fault they’ve spent most of the past decade on Fallout76 and Starfield which no one wanted.
Yeah, it's absolutely a bizarre mindset. A lack of creative ambition, really.

Its like they aren't wanting to create an awesome game, more so they want to choose a moment in time to put out something that won't be compared much to something else that may be better.

They have no competitive spirit. They don't say to themselves "wow, cyberpunk was impressive...let's try to beat that" or "wow avowed and kingdom come look like they are pulling some cool stuff off; let's compete and up our game" or "wow they talked shit about Stanfield, let's look back and remind them of what we can do"

This is gonna sound weird but, the problem with nerdy hobbies is... you have nerds making these products, and nerds don't have a natural "jock" mindset of being competitive. And boy is that kind of needed in today's landscape.

A culture of "hey bethesda...you gonna let cdprojekt and obsidian eat your lunch?" Doesn't exist with these guys.

That's not what i asked.

If the excuse for not being in the best shape at launch because they plan on supporting the game etc and it's a new internal policy, what was the excuse for their previous games that were not in the best shape possible at launch (to use an euphemism).

Unless i completed botched what you were trying to say.
Back then, it was lack of polish.

Now they have delayed some features so they can polish what they have.

There are no excuses here. RPGs are like this, like it or not.

StereoVsn

After their last several games I don’t have any expectations anymore. Well, no, I expect their next game to be clunky and badly written while simultaneously being bland and boring.

If they surprise me, great! But I am not looking forward to anything from Bethesda anymore. That ship has sailed.

Hawk The Slayer

Neo Member
Bethesda has stagnated as a studio. They used to be considered one of the best, outside of Rockstar. I wouldn't even put them in the top 10 anymore. The next Elder scrolls better come out before the Witcher 4, which will surely be the better mideval fantasy game between the two. CDPR is just way more talented studio than Bethesda. Bethesda hasn't been innovative in over a decade
I wanna a Witcher 4 too but I loved Morrowind and Skyrim way more than the Witcher 3. I know I'm going to have a lot more fun with Elder Scrolls VI compared to Witcher 4 since Witcher 3 only gave me 200 hours at most while Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skytim gave me a total of over 4,000 hours and I'll still have tons of fun going back to them. Even if they don't do a perfect job with Elder Scrolls VI, the fun should be there just messing around and waiting for the Nexus mods to come. Todd is in the villian arc but I hope he comes back with a redemption arc either with Fallout 5 or ESVI doesn't matter which first.

Wildebeest

He just says plainly that Todd Howard insists on having control over everything and nothing at all can happen there unless he personally approves of it.

NickFire

Weird thing to say in light of Skyrim's longevity. I'd think they'd have the data points to know exactly what fans want.

Last edited:

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
I wanna a Witcher 4 too but I loved Morrowind and Skyrim way more than the Witcher 3. I know I'm going to have a lot more fun with Elder Scrolls VI compared to Witcher 4 since Witcher 3 only gave me 200 hours at most while Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skytim gave me a total of over 4,000 hours and I'll still have tons of fun going back to them. Even if they don't do a perfect job with Elder Scrolls VI, the fun should be there just messing around and waiting for the Nexus mods to come. Todd is in the villian arc but I hope he comes back with a redemption arc either with Fallout 5 or ESVI doesn't matter which first.
Witcher 3 was CDPR's first AAA game that was developed on a relatively cheap budget. The Witcher 4 will most likely cost over 500mil with 6-7 years in full development. I'd be surprised if it didn't have multi-player, as CDPR intended for Cyberpunk to have it, but couldn't make it work. It's probably why they switched game engines for Witcher 4 to Unreal Engine

I just don't have much faith in Bethesda. They are sticking with their own mediocre game engine for Elder Scrolls, and Todd Howard's last two AAA games lacked innovation that was sorely needed

TheChumpNation

Neo Member
Didn't hear any of that when the studio was making Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim. I wonder if the fear of fan backlash at Bethesda has anything to do with them putting out shit, dumbed down and busted (in fairness, that last was always the case) games over the last decade.

The "hardcore" gaming crowd are actually very forgiving of games that aren't perfect, so long as the game isn't a blatant sell-out or insult to the player.

I hate this culture of blaming gamers and fans of media when studios put out garbage.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
New engine with proper streaming for everything and no fucking load screens to enter any building. Hire writers who can craft interesting stories and quests.

Those two things would be the bare minimum to meet my expectations.

If they just do the same old shit on the same old engine they will indeed fall very, very short.
They don't need a new engine for that.

Minsc

Gold Member
So are we expecting a 2030s launch or I'm thinking more of a 2040s launch to be realistic here.

Sounds like they are preemptively setting the bar low so when it comes out and is crappy, no one is surprised.

Granted, I’d like the next entry in TES to be great, I still love both Oblivion and Skyrim. So I hope I’m wrong.

He's kinda right. Skyrim despite all of its flaws is still (and probably always will be) one of the best games ever made. It's going to be damn near impossible for them get ES6 to even be half as good as Skyrim was especially with the drought of talent in the AAA space.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
if it is only going to be on Xbox and or PC, then I have no expectation because I do not game on those platforms. Unless something has changed when I was not paying attention?
Trust me, that's IP suicide and unless Microsoft is that stupid, you can expect a PlayStation release.

Top Bottom