• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim lead designer says it will be 'almost impossible' for Elder Scrolls 6 to meet fan expectations:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Damage Control this early?!

MS should use their "strike team" and the power of cloud to build the best Engine Bethesda can use to surprise and delight gamers. is the least they can do

Kamina

Golden Boy
It’s a Bethesda game, so of course it will not live up to the expectations of players.
But it will be a fresh sandbox again that will spark modders to fill it with whatever they can dream up.

My expectation is that it's going to be very similar to Starfield, but have more handcrafted areas. In the past, they did their big engine and asset jump from Morrowind to Oblivion. Then they put out 3 games that were mostly similar level of graphics and tech: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim. This time Starfield is the big engine jump. They're putting out another game similar to Starfield.

The only things they really need to do to win my approval are:
1) Improve melee combat as much as they improved shooting in Starfield. It's not Call of Duty level but everything feels pretty good.
2) Improve writing and quest complexity. They did this on quite a few of the factions and side quests in Starfield. If they just keep building on that, they can exceed expectations.
3) Improve RPG depth. There are hints that they went more hardcore for Starfield, and less casual like they had been on Skyrim. Keep embracing RPG complexity, navigation / exploration complexity and it can exceed expectations.

It's not going to be a 95 rated game, but I'm really looking forward to it.

The ai is so bad in Starfield combat so every encounter is trivialized ...doesn't matter if guns feel better to shoot with ai that just stands there

Ever more greater reason to stop diluting the gameplay and story for modern 'convenience'. Start looking back to games that had real depth to them, Morrowind is a good example... give players the feeling of achievment back (I don't mean Steam achievements). It's more rewarding and immersive than global illumination and 100km^2 landmasses.

^^ this but we all know that won't happen becuse with literally every single Bethesda game, they keep moving in a more casualized direction.

Bernardougf

Only for the crazy ones that still believe anything outside of mediocrity can come from bugesda and this ancient engine (if they are still using it)

Fallout 4 was the worst mainline Fallout game. Fallout 76 was the worst BGS game and a bad game period. Starfield was the worst BGS, single player game. There is a clear line of stagnation for this studio since Skyrim released. ES6 will fail to meet fan expectations because BGS is incompetent to meet them.
It also doesn't help that they showed that they are working on the game over 6 years ago. Can't complain about high expectations when by the time it releases it would have been in (supposed) dev for 10 years.
What was wrong with fallout 4. I agree about 76 and starfield, but fallout 4 was a great game. Sure some didn't like it due to optional base building, but to me that stuff was awesome. I really loved fallout 4, I think after eso they pushed fallout to be online and it was a shit game as these games are not meant for that. Starfield it was somewhat lazy Ness, mixed with esg and bad quest writing/world building. Don't know what went wrong internally for that.

Top Bottom