• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm hesitating to pull the trigger on this game because it looks awfully like GTA; a game I cannot bare to play

Convince me otherwise, gaffers

Hated GTA IV, loved this game. Almost everything about it was a better and more enjoyable experience for me, from the setting, to the emphasis on melee combat, to the story. Best part was getting a player character I could actually emphasize with, instead of the asshole we had to play in GTA IV.

Say buh-bye to Sleeping Dogs 2. They will not get any huge sales this month when Borderlands 2 and FIFA 13 are coming up, and each month after that has some huge games coming out as well.

The game seems to be doing rather well across Europe. It seems like Europe went for SD while the US went for DS2.

iavi

Say buh-bye to Sleeping Dogs 2. They will not get any huge sales this month when Borderlands 2 and FIFA 13 are coming up, and each month after that has some huge games coming out as well.

That's just in the US, and the game seems to have done/be doing pretty well on Steam.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
also if we judge by UK we can expect almost the same numbers in September. Word of mouth sells this game.

UrbanRats

Any idea about how much they need to sell in order to break even?

Shouldn't be too much, only 1 year of development with S-E (plus marketing).
Most of the production expenses were paid for by Activision.

I don't know how much SE had to give Activision, but they didn't bought the True Crime brand, just this one game.

Cloudy

Banned
Thinking more about what I liked and didn't like after finishing the game. I think it'd have been better if there wasn't a hint to every objective. Or at least make it a setting so they can be disabled.

I feel there was too much hand-holding because they took some shortcuts with the game design i.e most of the interactive stuff during non-driving missions were set-pieces, were literally flashing at you or there was an explicit text instruction lol

Ledsen

So I tried the demo on my 2500k @ 4.5GHz, GTX 560Ti, 8 GB ram. With the below very modest settings (notice fps limited to 30) I still got crappy fps with frequent dips for example when I was fighting the guys on the roof. Also lots and lots of stutter. I thought this was supposed to be a great port? I play most other games at ~60 fps with higher graphic setting, this runs horrible in comparison. The controls are also incredibly sluggish, with a delay on everything from spinning the camera to moving the character.

namnls8msrs.jpg

Anyone? I'd love to play this game (thinking about the GMG voucher) but not if it has this kind of performance...

Lime

Anyone? I'd love to play this game (thinking about the GMG voucher) but not if it has this kind of performance...

I didn't get any dips at all on my 6950 with either Normal or High AA, while Extreme AA gave me stuttering. But I don't know about Nvidia cards's performance in this game. Have you tried seeing if people with the same card as you have the same problem? E.g. by googling it?

Shouldn't be too much, only 1 year of development with S-E (plus marketing).
Most of the production expenses were paid for by Activision.

I don't know how much SE had to give Activision, but they didn't bought the True Crime brand, just this one game.

Yeah, I really wonder how much it cost for SE to buy the game from Activision. Nevertheless, I'm sure that this game currently isn't a financial failure. Question is if it will be decent, a modest success, or something even bigger. The game definitely has word of mouth going for it.

GlamFM

Banned

jaypah

Are you playing on a monitor or HDTV? Because I had a lot of games making my tv switch to 24hz mode, making them gross feeling/looking. Making a custom resolution of x1076 solves it but it drove me crazy until I figured it out.

MDSLKTR

Yep - people ( especially on this board ) keep telling how this game is a great success, but in fact it seems to be the exact opposite.

From what I can get it has not done well here in europe too. Should be far under 1.000.000 globally which I guess is a huge failure.

Sleeping Dogs 2 not happening is a safe bet.

STEAM

garath

Yep - people ( especially on this board ) keep telling how this game is a great success, but in fact it seems to be the exact opposite.

From what I can get it has not done well here in europe too. Should be far under 1.000.000 globally which I guess is a huge failure.

That looks like US only numbers. It's been top of the charts in UK. I haven't been following numbers much at all but if you guesstimate the numbers are the same but reversed then it's sold close to half a million in the first month just on consoles. Then add in PC sales... /shrug

GlamFM

Banned
That looks like US only numbers. It's been top of the charts in UK. I haven't been following numbers much at all but if you guesstimate the numbers are the same but reversed then it's sold close to half a million in the first month just on consoles. Then add in PC sales... /shrug

Did not take much to be top of the UK charts just as it did not take much for Darksiders to be on top of the US charts.

Half a million on consoles is what I´m thinking too - another half million on Steam? Don´t think so.

Did not take much to be top of the UK charts just as it did not take much for Darksiders to be on top of the US charts.

Half a million on consoles is what I´m thinking too - another half million on Steam? Don´t think so.

Because everyone knows they stop selling games after 3 weeks on the market.

sohois

Is it just me, or are the Keyboard/Mouse controls completely fucking broken in this game? Driving is absolutely horrific, counters are a pain in the ass to do and other 'minigame' stuff just does not work at all.

I have just fucked up my hand from slamming my fist in frustration at trying to pick a lock, which does not seem to work at all. Anyone had similar problems?

Esch

Banned

What about Steam, GMG, etc?

All things considered I think theyve done pretty well.

edit: Nvm

garath

Usually games with good word of mouth have some legs. It remains to be seen how much. We may never get the concrete numbers we're looking for.

I wouldn't guess 500k on steam. I'd guess half of the console sales. 250k.

GlamFM

Banned
vg chartz lists 640k total sales

Edit: any reason linking to vg chartz is not allowed?

Their numbers are considered bullshit although I remember an interview with Pachter ( yeah Pachter... ) where he said their numbers are usually pretty close to the numbers he gets.

However I think the site is banned here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I see. Didn't know that

To expand a little on what Seronei said, VGC is known to pull sales numbers out of thin air and then later ninja-edit the figures when official ones are announced. For example:

I remember noticing one afternoon that VGC ninja-edited their sales data for the original Uncharted after Sony announced the official sales figures, with the difference between it and the previous data being 200k~300k. Using Google's cache of the page, I called out the discrepancy (well, inquired about it) in the comments and subsequently saw my account disabled (I assume the comment was deleted, too).

What amuses me about VGC's sister site, FADE, is the claim that they've access to Valve's Steam sales data, among other DD services:

Each Steam report includes monthly and life to date data for most available titles. We also include life to date data for titles that have been delisted from the service for reference. We track approximately 1,300 titles with life to date data.

Mario007

This game needs epic DLC like what Borderlands had, actually. It'll allow for a GOTY edition down the road which will be actually bought by many people and DLC will keep people playing so the used market won't affect it so much.

Having said that I haven't seen a single used copy of SD in my local gamestop.

Almighty

Damn I was hoping for better sales. Looks like Sleeping Dogs 2 is just a dream for now. Hopefully word of mouth gives this game long legs or maybe it will sell most of its units in Europe like DXHR did.

Multiplayer? Heard of it?

It's good to see that Pachter's kids are posting on GAF. Any other prognostications you'd like to be wrong about?

This game needs epic DLC like what Borderlands had, actually. It'll allow for a GOTY edition down the road which will be actually bought by many people and DLC will keep people playing so the used market won't affect it so much.

Having said that I haven't seen a single used copy of SD in my local gamestop.

A good sign of how bad/good a game is doing is the Amazon.com used game market and the value Amazon gives as a trade-in. Amazon's trade-in value hasn't dropped below 30 dollars yet, which means it's still a high value item to them.

Kikujiro

I don't understand why some of you are so eager to scream bomba when a game doesn't sell more than a million in the first month. Deus Ex first month was 250,000, yet it ended up selling 2.18 millions and more, most of them in Europe. And the game doesn't have a multiplayer mode.

Not to say that Sleeping Dogs will surely sell 2 millions and more, but some games do indeed have legs, especially those that can't count on famous names. The game's doing great in the UK for example, four weeks and three times on the top spot.

Mario007

I don't understand why some of you are so eager to scream bomba when a game doesn't sell more than a million in the first month. Deus Ex first month was 250,000, yet it ended up selling 2.18 millions and more, most of them in Europe. And the game doesn't have a multiplayer mode.

Not to say that Sleeping Dogs will surely sell 2 millions and more, but some games do indeed have legs, especially those that can't count on famous names. The game's doing great in the UK for example, four weeks and three times on the top spot.

The funny thing is that SD is pretty much the exact same case as DE. Published by SE, no big marketing campaign, the game sold on word-of-mouth and awareness alone and both seem to sell much better in Europe than in the US.

A good sign of how bad/good a game is doing is the Amazon.com used game market and the value Amazon gives as a trade-in. Amazon's trade-in value hasn't dropped below 30 dollars yet, which means it's still a high value item to them.

That's good to hear. I honestly don't see many people trading this in (because I love the game) if the DLC launches fairly soon.

Sure. How about that: Your attitude will keep you safe and unbanned here on GAF for a long time.

Snarky comments begets a snarky reply?

So far it's the very definition of a game with legs. #1 in UK out of the box, then fell to 2nd behind Guild Wars 2 when it released the next week, and now back to #1 this week. It's clearly doing well via word-of-mouth. Anyone that presumes they know how a game is going to perform over the long haul is someone whose opinion doesn't mean that much. The bigger question is how many copies does Square need it to sell before they OK a sequel?

Sure. How about that: Your attitude will keep you safe and unbanned here on GAF for a long time.

Might want to read your own posts, champ.

Meier

Multiplayer? Heard of it?

I absolutely loved Borderlands GOTY edition. Didn't play a single second of it in multiplayer.

This whole concept that MP is necessary in games is utter bullshit. If a game is compelling in single player, it will have good legs. Borderlands was and that's a game that is tailored to MP at its core. Sleeping Dogs will have legs because it's a quality title that isn't in a niche genre. It will do well until after Christmas (although I'm sure many copies will be sold on sale).

GlamFM

Banned
I absolutely loved Borderlands GOTY edition. Didn't play a single second of it in multiplayer.

This whole concept that MP is necessary in games is utter bullshit. If a game is compelling in single player, it will have good legs. Borderlands was and that's a game that is tailored to MP at its core. Sleeping Dogs will have legs because it's a quality title that isn't in a niche genre. It will do well until after Christmas (although I'm sure many copies will be sold on sale).

No no no.... i didn´t mean that multiplayer is necessary. I meant said that in case of borderlands the 4 player co-op surely was the reason the game had such long legs.

Who else gets distracted by all the side quests before doing the main story line? I want to do all the side stuff before I finish the last mission. Knowing me, I would just finish the story and not bother to do the side quests if I just beat the main game first. I got ADD.

Almighty

I don't understand why some of you are so eager to scream bomba when a game doesn't sell more than a million in the first month. Deus Ex first month was 250,000, yet it ended up selling 2.18 millions and more, most of them in Europe.

Well this gives me some hope. I thought that Deus Ex had a bigger opening month then that. Hopefully Sleeping Dogs follows a similar path I need me a sequel.

Mario007

Who else gets distracted by all the side quests before doing the main story line? I want to do all the side stuff before I finish the last mission. Knowing me, I would just finish the story and not bother to do the side quests if I just beat the main game first. I got ADD.

I am the same with most of the games but when I finished SD I immediately started my second walkthrough and I'm doing all side missions in between story missions.

Top Bottom