• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Five Valve themed t-shirts have been added into the game.

l4d_front_large.png

l4d_back_large.png

midrid_front_large.png

midrid_back_large.png

bullshift_front_large.png

portal_front_large.png

portal_back_large.png

sandvich_front_large.png

Zep

Banned
When I complete an open world game from start to finish, it did something right. Great pacing, good missions, decent controls, amazing graphics. The one thing I can't help but feel is that the content was a little light. After I finished it I was like..."That's it?"

ALSO, we're currently running a poll on the Sleeping Dogs Facebook page where we're asking the community to choose the contents of an upcoming premium DLC pack, which we'll then go ahead and create before making it available to purchase. Just to make sure this exercise runs nice and smoothly, we’re giving you two choices – one based in reality, the other belonging more to the realms of fantasy. This way we make the content you'd prefer to own.

You can find the poll on Facebook here and you can find details on the options over the game's official community site here: YOU CHOOSE IT, WE CREATE IT.

Please, get involved.

578516_421855997878412_1668396993_n.jpg

This is so awesome (besides being facebook only).

More devs need to do this

beje

Banned
Has anybody managed to get a refund from Steam due to the crash issues? I just took advantage of the 50% deal and the game is completely borked in my brand new HD 7850, having to wait like 15-20 minutes for the initial loading screen to unfreeze to start playing, then the game randomly crashes after some time playing and throws me to the desktop (while sound is still playing) or the white screen. It works perfectly in my old GTS250, but switching them around every time I want to play is not a viable solution. And yes, I've tried every single fix with no result. Looking at the Steam community I'm obviously not the only one, and it looks like it's been happening since release without any kind of solution from devs or publisher...

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Has anybody managed to get a refund from Steam due to the crash issues? I just took advantage of the 50% deal and the game is completely borked in my brand new HD 7850, having to wait like 15-20 minutes for the initial loading screen to unfreeze to start playing, then the game randomly crashes after some time playing and throws me to the desktop (while sound is still playing) or the white screen. It works perfectly in my old GTS250, but switching them around every time I want to play is not a viable solution. And yes, I've tried every single fix with no result. Looking at the Steam community I'm obviously not the only one, and it looks like it's been happening since release without any kind of solution from devs or publisher...

We're most certainly aware of the problem and are investigating a fix.

beje

Banned
We're most certainly aware of the problem and are investigating a fix.

Thanks for the heads-up but I'm not exactly drowning in money, and if I cannot propperly play the game now (and the fix still has no ETA), I'd rather ask Steam for a refund and put it towards something else, no offense :)

Can't wait to try this out tonight. Bought it last night right before heading off to bed and started the Steam install.

Was there a PC optimization thread? I thought I remember seeing one but I did a search for "sleeping dogs PC" and it only showed me this OT which I've been kind of steering clear of in regards to spoilers knowing I'd pick it up one day.

\/\/\/\/ point taken, thanks. I don't use the search function that often.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Can't wait to try this out tonight. Bought it last night right before heading off to bed and started the Steam install.

Was there a PC optimization thread? I thought I remember seeing one but I did a search for "sleeping dogs PC" and it only showed me this OT which I've been kind of steering clear of in regards to spoilers knowing I'd pick it up one day.
You mean this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486948&highlight=sleeping

GAF search tips:

always use Advance Search and use Search Titles Only
always search for just one word (in this case sleeping)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Five of the DLC just went 50% off if anyone is interested. It wasn't on sale until just now.

Robso

Does anybody know if the limited edition version's extras can be unlocked in the full game? If so, does it take long?

Sorry if this has been asked but want to avoid spoilers with having yet to play it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Holy shit, just started playing this (got it from Amazon) and I'm already loving it. The graphics are really nice, and I'm actually really surprised by the presentation of the cut scenes and the opening in general.

Miker

Question - is there any merit to locking on during combat? I just got to the kung fu school and they teach you to lock on so that you can punch/kick in place (is that right?), but is it any better than just playing without lock-on?

So I can't seem to get my 360 controller to work in-game. I can hit pause on it, and navigate through menus with it, also when looking at controller config I can use the LB/RB buttons to switch back and forth ... so I know the buttons 'work' in the game, but once it goes to playing the game, only thing that works is pause. I loaded up Limbo and the controller worked fine.

Any ideas? I have the controller setting set to "auto switch" or whichever that options is, also tried it to set just to Controller but still no dice.

EDIT: Found a solution ... you have to disable HID-compliant game controller in the device manager (seems to happen when you have a G13 or Nostromo - in my case a G13).

So I was playing some today trying to clean up the last few trophies and the completion stat fucking froze on 99.32%. I got the gold trophies left, the 100% completion trophy and the gold challenges trophy with the only challenge left being the 100% one. Is there any fix to this? I've done everything, races, favors, events, collectibles and I even got all the apartment stuff.

God dammit.

So I was playing some today trying to clean up the last few trophies and the completion stat fucking froze on 99.32%. I got the gold trophies left, the 100% completion trophy and the gold challenges trophy with the only challenge left being the 100% one. Is there any fix to this? I've done everything, races, favors, events, collectibles and I even got all the apartment stuff.

God dammit.

Solved it, after checking around it was as easy as re-doing a martial arts club. It was really nice seeing two gold and one platinum trophy appear on screen. Great game.

Whoa that's really weird since i have the same card and processor as you and its been smooth sailing so far (played it for an ungodly amount of hours a one point) *knock on wood*

Just
sent Dogeyes to Mama Chu (that fucker deserved that shit)
and i'm still really liking this game. :)

Miker

7850 here as well, no problems for me. Your situation seems a bit odd, as I hear it's mainly Nvidia cards that have issues on Sleeping Dogs. Sorry to hear that though :(

1. Thank you Amazon for cheap copy.
2. Thank you Square Enix for not letting this game die.
3. Thank you United Front Games for taking on this big task.

The gameplay, the gunplay, the driving, the soundtrack, the amount of detail and diversification in missions, the constant excitement, the characters and storylines, and the feel of being free to do whatever you want while keeping a great balance between restrictions; damn, it's been too long since all of these were mixed in one package!

Every time I finish a mission, I have this "one more mission before I go to sleep" moment. There is so much to do, so much to explore.

GOTY for me right now. Don't see anything else releasing that will top this.

pikablu

I haven't seen this posted but here's the trailer for the new DLC coming Haloween.

http://youtu.be/2_LBhv5XhcA

And here's the synopsis.

In life, Big Scar Wu was one of Hong Kong’s most ruthless triad gangsters. Feared as much by those who stood against him as those who stood by him in the Sun On Yee, it was decided by the Grand Dragon that he must be stopped. Looking to send a message, they had him stabbed 42 times before feeding his bleeding corpse to the grinder at the Smiley Cat cat food plant… his final resting place, in the food bowls of the city’s pet cats. It is said that if the wronged receive anything less than a proper burial, their spirit will almost certainly come back as a Hungry Ghost, damned to starve in the afterlife, feeding only on their hatred. You turn him into cat food and that’s pretty much guaranteed.

Now, Hell has a sense of humour, and when Big Scar Wu arrived in the underworld and word spread of his demise, they renamed him Smiley Cat, much to his chagrin, with the name fuelling his bitterness with every utterance and driving his thirst for revenge. Rising from Hell and vowing to exact his revenge, Smiley Cat has raised an army of Jiang Shi, vowing to destroy the Sun On Yee and to create Hong Kong’s most fearsome criminal empire.

With the city in chaos and its citizens possessed, Wei Shen now faces a challenge far more sinister than any before. To save Hong Kong, he must seek out the most powerful of Chinese magic, endowing him with a power strong enough to take on Smiley Cat’s army of Jiang Shi and face-off against the ghosts of Triads he has defeated in the past, sending the dead back to Hell once and for all.

Monkeythumbz

Sleeping Dogs will be at the London MCM Expo this weekend!

I will be demoing the new 'Nightmare in North Point' add-on content live on the main stage at 12AM on Saturday 27th October.

Check out the full Square Enix line-up by following this link.

Tenck

Absolutely loved the game. Pretty sad to say this, but it's the only game I've beaten this year. But I am also glad that I found it through Amazon's deals. Looking back to when it was first announced, I didn't give it much thought. I had enjoyed the True Crime series, but after replaying it I just didn't think I'd be able to play it. My whole perception of Sleeping Dogs was that it must be True Crime with a new name slapped on it.

GOTY for me, though that wouldn't mean much coming from me :p

Will buy the DLC to support Square Enix and UFG.

Picked up the SWAT Pack on PS3 today, had some leftover credit.

It's pretty fun.

Rolling around in the SWAT van, responding to crimes, getting into ridiculous firefights.

Heard you can't use the outfit or vehicle outside of the mission, just like with the police protection pack. If true, what a bunch of slimy fuckers.

Monkeythumbz

We're working on a fix for the P.P.P. issue (it'll be coming soon, honest), but the SWAT Pack vehicle and uniform weren't designed to be used in free-roam. It's certainly not been our intention to mislead you and we were pretty up-front about how the contents of the SWAT Pack worked here.

Why weren't they designed to be used in free roam? The PPP dlc is getting patched to do exactly that, so what the hell? And before anyone says that Wei roaming around in police gear doesn't make sense, nor does wearing Rico Rodriguez's outfit, or just wearing your boxers.

Monkeythumbz

Why weren't they designed to be used in free roam? The PPP dlc is getting patched to do exactly that, so what the hell? And before anyone says that Wei roaming around in police gear doesn't make sense, nor does wearing Rico Rodriguez's outfit, or just wearing your boxers.
Truth be told, I'm not 100% sure. I assume it's a memory thing, but don't quote me on that as I'm not very technical.

The PPP pack has a replayable mission in it, and yet it's being patched to allow use of the outfit and vehicle normally. Also, you're suggesting that, because this pack has some replayable missions, that must mean the outfit and vehicle can't be used in free roam?

Monkeythumbz

The PPP pack has a replayable mission in it, and yet it's being patched to allow use of the outfit and vehicle normally. Also, you're suggesting that, because this pack has some replayable missions, that must mean the outfit and vehicle can't be used in free roam?
Emphasis on the word "suggesting"! Also, I'd have thought that there's a significant difference between twenty replayable missions scattered around the map and just the one.

As for the PPP being patched, that's not been an easy process by any means. But hey, at least it's happening! I for one will be over the moon once it has been implemented.

Thrakier

Sleeping Dogs will be at the London MCM Expo this weekend!

I will be demoing the new 'Nightmare in North Point' add-on content live on the main stage at 12AM on Saturday 27th October.

Check out the full Square Enix line-up by following this link.

Will a stuttering fix hit before the DLC? If Daylight stuttering isn't fix I won't buy the DLC. It was annoying enough in the main game.

Monkeythumbz

Will a stuttering fix hit before the DLC? If Daylight stuttering isn't fix I won't buy the DLC. It was annoying enough in the main game.
I believe that's set to be part of the same Title Update that addresses the P.P.P. issue... so the only answer I can give right now is "soon". Next couple of weeks or so, I reckon.

Fonz72

AMD is giving this game away for free with the purchase of certain video cards! You also get
Far Cry 3, Hitman: Absolution and 20% off Medal of Honor

I picked up a Sapphire 7950 from Newegg, and I'm very excited to try this game. Can a stock 7950 handle the HD texture pack well at 1080p or would I be better off with vanilla settings?

Persona86

Banned
OK this is weird, am I the only one getting this update? I can't find any info on this.

Also it keeps getting an error and I have to start the download again. Hmmmmm.

Edit: download complete, not sure what the update was yet :)

Monkeythumbz

Hey everyone, we released a new Title Update for Sleeping Dogs on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 today. Please find the release notes below.

Sleeping Dogs – Console v 1.2 Release Notes

• General code stability fixes like crashes and resource issues
  • UI improvements
    • The ability to launch the DLC store from anywhere the infoticker is visible (including in-game in the wardrobe, vendors, etc)
    • The option to disable aim-assist
    • The option to disable in-world GPS arrows when navigating to a destination
  • Localization/text fixes
  • Other community requests
    • Slightly extended daytime
    • Decreased camera shake when driving at high speeds

Once downloaded, future DLC packs (including the *free* Ghost Pig DLC) will add the remaining:

• World art issues (especially where the player can fall out of world)
  • Script fixes
  • Combat and driving-related fixes
  • The unlocking of the gold .40cal pistol after completing the main game
  • The unlocking of the Supercharged Cop Car and SWAT outfit for owners of the Police Protection Pack

As noted above, this also paves the way for the P.P.P. fix, allowing that add-on pack's car and outfit to be available in free roam. That fix will be available from Tuesday/Wednesday next week as part of the 100% free Ghost Pig add-on pack.

More info on the Ghost Pig Pack will be coming on Monday 29th October.

Top Bottom