• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my e-mail from the Japanese Club Nintendo about Mewtwo. Redeemable from April 15th (tomorrow) til September 30th, 1 code required for each game. Requires the patch to download. Input the Mewtwo code into the 3DS version's in-game shop to download, while the Wii U code must be put in on the eShop.

Fandangox

Just got my e-mail from the Japanese Club Nintendo about Mewtwo. Redeemable from April 15th (tomorrow) til September 30th, 1 code required for each game. Requires the patch to download. Input the Mewtwo code into the 3DS version's in-game shop to download, while the Wii U code must be put in on the eShop.

So is the patch live? Did you receive the codes, or did the e-mail ask you to redeem them at CN?

So is the patch live? Did you receive the codes, or did the e-mail ask you to redeem them at CN?

Patch isn't live, they say it should be up tomorrow. E-mail said we have to get the codes from the CN site from the same page we get any normal reward, but Mewtwo isn't up there yet. No codes in the e-mail.

Crayolan

Patch isn't live, they say it should be up tomorrow. E-mail said we have to get the codes from the CN site from the same page we get any normal reward, but Mewtwo isn't up there yet. No codes in the e-mail.

RIP CN servers, RIP chances of getting Mewtwo until 3 AM the next day.

nerdbot

I feel like the Miiverse stage and/or Tournament Mode are a certainty given Nintendo's frequent habit of pushing out something small but free whenever they launch paid content. (see: the free Mercedes DLC tying in with the launch of the Mario Kart shop, 200cc launching with the second MK8 DLC pack, the 3 free characters for Hyrule Warriors, etc. there's been lots more)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Miiverse stage should have been available ages ago. I mean considering how much data exists for it on disc I can't imagine it required that much extra work.

I just want to listen to Mario Paint Medley in game. :(

nerdbot

Yeah, I really don't want to buy back Brawl characters. Why waste this chance to add characters on having people make Brawl again?

Hope they don't bring back more vets.

If Lucas is coming back, there's no way they haven't already been working on Wolf. He's almost certainly returning, and almost certainly not going to be taking up something from the character poll. I mean look at it this way, Lucas comes out in June and the poll ends October, they're not going to sit on their asses for 6 months doing nothing. It'll be an especially nice tie-in for the new Star Fox game, it'll synergize well with E3 when they'll probably show us that game and also Wolf in Smash.

Unfortunately for me, the #1 Ice Climbers fan, though, I sincerely doubt we'll see any returning veterans past Wolf, but I am 100% sure he's returning.

J@hranimo

Banned

Oh no. This doesn't sound promising for Mewtwo downloads. Hope this pulls through for downloading at a decent time on Wednesday. *crosses fingers*

I feel like the Miiverse stage and/or Tournament Mode are a certainty given Nintendo's frequent habit of pushing out something small but free whenever they launch paid content. (see: the free Mercedes DLC tying in with the launch of the Mario Kart shop, 200cc launching with the second MK8 DLC pack, the 3 free characters for Hyrule Warriors, etc. there's been lots more)

I guess it's kind of a good business move because it encourages more people to put the game back in to update and see the DLC and maybe buy it.

hupla

Sometimes I wonder if Kojima even if he's not gonna be with konami anymore has voted for snake or big boss in this poll

nerdbot

I guess it's kind of a good business move because it encourages more people to put the game back in to update and see the DLC and maybe buy it.

If anything I'm actually surprised Nintendo is the first company to really think of this. Not that they're the first to do this idea but rather it's a standard practice for them to put out a little something free alongside the launch of paid content, it's smart as hell.

Masked Man

I said wow
Just got both of my Mewtwo codes from the Club Nintendo website! Based on maintenance times, the patch is set to go live around 5 pm JST tomorrow.

You realize that bringing back veterans is probably considerably easier than developing brand new characters, right? I wouldn't compare the two at all. If we get, say, four veterans as DLC, that does NOT mean that we could have gotten four newcomers instead with the same amount of development. It doesn't work like that.

Yeah? And I know that I know how Wolf plays and wont waste cash on him seeing as I dont play him.

I'd prefer Mewtwo and w/e amount of newcomers they can make over DLC characters that WERE in brawl that I'm now expected to pay for. I don't care for the Brawl characters that were cut and I feel even they know that not everyone's gonna bend over for vets they may not like.

Wolf will probably be the last veteran. On top of that, what's wrong with bringing loved veterans over to a better game? Sure, they still need to be remade from scratch, but they don't have to worry about planning.
I like it when devs stick to their guns. If a character was cut because of some random stuff like Sonic then that's ok, but we were never given an excuse for them being kicked so it feels like they meant to do it.

Also don't like the feeling like they only cut X so that they could sell em back to us in this new game.

If Lucas is coming back, there's no way they haven't already been working on Wolf. He's almost certainly returning, and almost certainly not going to be taking up something from the character poll. I mean look at it this way, Lucas comes out in June and the poll ends October, they're not going to sit on their asses for 6 months doing nothing. .

Who said they would wait until the ballot is over to start making a newcomer? It's like those people who think "winning the ballot" means a character will be in ... they're using this to get ideas on what people are interested in.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Flipping through Club Nintendo now, I realized that I got to pick a free game.

A toss up between Tropical Freeze and Animal Crossing New Leaf, I picked New Leaf under the pretense that I can probably get DKCTF on sale somewhere else.

I also have quite a stash of coins to use. Club Nintendo is eventually closing...I can either pick Wonderful 101 or Earthbound (with coins left over). Think I might take Wonderful 101 and then just buy Earthbound as it's undoubtedly cheaper. So just by revisiting CN, I got two good games, and I can finally see why some people love W101 so much. Also, my first Animal Crossing game.

I may have not gotten any Mewtwo codes yet but I feel like I made out like a bandit, but I really should just pick up Earthbound at my nearest convenience too.

J@hranimo

Banned
Just got both of my Mewtwo codes from the Club Nintendo website! Based on maintenance times, the patch is set to go live around 5 pm JST tomorrow.

Ok, you guys are 13 hours ahead of Eastern Time in the states.

This means for US the patch will go live Wednesday @ 4am ET/1am PT unless I'm counting this wrong.

Fandangox

So we gotta get them from the site.

No one is going to get them on release day lol

I wonder how much complaints will arise when Mewtwo's voice is revealed to be female.

It won't be. Mewtwo is Melee nostalgia, it's plainly obvious this is exactly why he's in the game. From his official artwork pose, to his unchanged move set, and his returning colors, to the fact that he's Mewtwo and the first DLC is pretty telling.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has his Melee voice ported almost entirely, maybe filtered and re-tuned for quality. Or just re-recorded by the same actor.

So we gotta get them from the site.

No one is going to get them on release day lol

No we don't. Japan is different I guess, but it's very clear on the Mewtwo DLC page on Club Nintendo that he will be emailed.

Fandangox

No we don't. Japan is different I guess, but it's very clear on the Mewtwo DLC page on Club Nintendo that he will be emailed.

I really hope so. Have taken me over 150 combined tries just to redeem the poster set and the platinum reward. I still have 545 coins I haven't been able to use because redeeming stuff is so hard.

I really hope so. Have taken me over 150 combined tries just to redeem the poster set and the platinum reward. I still have 545 coins I haven't been able to use because redeeming stuff is so hard.

From the site
Download codes will be emailed on 4/15/2015

Once you register Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U by 3/31/15 with Club Nintendo, you will automatically be enrolled to receive the Mewtwo DLC download code via email.

Look for an email from Club Nintendo in Spring 2015!

Three separate places they mention it will be emailed

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
are we seriously going to have to wait until June for Miiverse?

Which has basically all the files already on the disc...

Miiverse on its own would have been fine a month or two after release but its got to the point where it has been so long (and potentially even longer) that something else will need to come out with it because the excitement just won't be there otherwise. Maybe the cut Dr Mario stage ahahaha.

Confirmed?

Miiverse isn't confirmed for this patch and the next patch probably won't be until Lucas is out.

Which has basically all the files already on the disc...

Miiverse on its own would have been fine a month or two after release but its got to the point where it has been so long (and potentially even longer) that something else will need to come out with it because the excitement just won't be there otherwise. Maybe the cut Dr Mario stage ahahaha.
I get it, needing to collect good background posts for the stage, and that takes time, but... not this long. The stage is done, the assets are already there (music and textures) and the layout is just Battlefield.

I don't understand how this wasn't out in 2-3 months... not 6+ months.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But did they really need to collect good posts? Other games have done fine just pulling straight from Miiverse day one.

But did they really need to collect good posts? Other games have done fine just pulling straight from Miiverse day one.

There's no tag system, so the game wouldn't know if this was a drawing of Peach or a post about Dr. Mario. It can't really pull them in dynamically.

My guess is it won't even connect to Miiverse at all and they'll ship it with a pre-defined pool of posts baked into the stage that they'll update periodically. Otherwise the stage wouldn't work if the connection was unstable or you had no connection.

There's also a good number of posts/drawings they might find questionable that have managed to sneak onto Miiverse, so auto-pulling them in might not be desired.

tnaden

Officially the 15th in Japan. The wait begins.

I know it's super likely that it releases around the maintenance midnight Pacific. 17 hours is a long time argh.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There's no tag system, so the game wouldn't know if this was a drawing of Peach or a post about Dr. Mario. It can't really pull them in dynamically.

My guess is it won't even connect to Miiverse at all and they'll ship it with a pre-defined pool of posts baked into the stage that they'll update periodically. Otherwise the stage wouldn't work if the connection was unstable or you had no connection.

There's also a good number of posts/drawings they might find questionable that have managed to sneak onto Miiverse, so auto-pulling them in might not be desired.

Bingo. I have been telling people that Miiverse Stage's arts is pre-selected arts and they wouldn't pull it out of miiverse because of many reasons, as you listed some of them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well it is possible to tag within game so if they had a post to Miiverse option in Smash the game could give the post the appropriate tags. Of course, even if you select to draw Mario you could just draw whatever you want and have it tagged as Mario, but the Miiverse moderators could also fix that.

As for unfortunate posts, that's just the nature of Miiverse. Also, I think a lot of games tend to delay when they pull from the service to give moderators time to clear out the inappropriate stuff.

It just feels a stage that doesn't actually connect to Miiverse misses the entire point. If the player has a connectivity issue the stage could always display some premade designs like the ones they used in screenshots they released for the stage a bit like the WaraWara Plaza has default messages if the connection to Miiverse fails.

It would've made more sense for Nintendo to start pushing those emails out today/yesterday so that the majority of us get them by the time the patch is live.

They may start pushing them later today.

It'll probably take awhile to get them all out and they picked a good time for the US, as it's the largest region and most people will be asleep when Mewtwo is released, giving them some time to send the emails out.

Well it is possible to tag within game so if they had a post to Miiverse option in Smash the game could give the post the appropriate tags. Of course, even if you select to draw Mario you could just draw whatever you want and have it tagged as Mario, but the Miiverse moderators could also fix that.

As for unfortunate posts, that's just the nature of Miiverse. Also, I think a lot of games tend to delay when they pull from the service to give moderators time to clear out the inappropriate stuff.

It just feels a stage that doesn't actually connect to Miiverse misses the entire point. If the player has a connectivity issue the stage could always display some premade designs like the ones they used in screenshots they released for the stage a bit like the WaraWara Plaza has default messages if the connection to Miiverse fails.

That's a lot of work and an entire staff dedicated to a small feature of a cloned stage added 6 months after release. It's also not future proof, they're not keeping a staff on hand forever to moderate a Smash Bros stage.

It's easier, cheaper, future-proof, and more consistent to just pre-select 100 or so posts per character and change them up every patch or so.

Also I can imagine a hilarious situation where a post is tagged "Doc" and it's a goofy post about Doc Louis, but shows up when Dr. Mario is being used. If Roy is ever released, it'd also just get silly to import those posts and filter them between Koopa and Lord.

Also as soon as people found out anything tagged with "Mario" shows up on the stage... things will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom