• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

I wonder what the most obscure character suggestion will end up being.
So. Let me ask. What's the most character suggestion you guys have seen?

Plenty of Nintendo characters are obscure as hell and I've still seen support for them here. Stuff like any character from the Famicom Detective Club, or Sukapon, or one-off NES characters like Gumshoe or Mike Jones. If they're a Nintendo character, someone in these topics have probably suggested them.

That said, it isn't like Sakurai hasn't put in obscure characters before.

Kjellson

I wonder what the most obscure character suggestion will end up being.
So. Let me ask. What's the most character suggestion you guys have seen?
A robot called Harry from a Virtual Boy game called Teleroboxer. I would be surprised if anyone at Nintendo remembered this game.

What kinda name is Harry for a robot anyway.

batfax

A robot called Harry from a Virtual Boy game called Teleroboxer. I would be surprised if anyone at Nintendo remembered this game.

What kinda name is Harry for a robot anyway.

Harry? Naw. It's all about Milky. A boxing cat robot can only add greatness to any game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Smash Bros. Reddit finished their poll, and these are the results:
yR2ZPCq.png

Urgh, Shovel Knight. I'd argue that even Banjo has a higher chance due to the fact that he has Japanese presence. And this is coming from a guy who placed Shovel Knight at #2 on my favorite games of 2014 list. He's appeared in one game. One game. Yeah, you could say the same for Ness and Shulk, but they're not third party characters. Sakurai has made it clear that he's very selective regarding "guest" characters. Why do people want to turn Smash Bros. into Mugen?

Merc_

Urgh, Shovel Knight. I'd argue that even Banjo has a higher chance due to the fact that he has Japanese presence. And this is coming from a guy who placed Shovel Knight at #2 on my favorite games of 2014 list. He's appeared in one game. One game. Yeah, you could say the same for Ness and Shulk, but they're not third party characters. Sakurai has made it clear that he's very selective regarding "guest" characters. Why do people want to turn Smash Bros. into Mugen?

Because people like him.

It's the same with any other choice.

Illucio

Banned

I'm really surprised on how low Wonder Red score, but I suppose the fandom for Wonderful 101 is more of a gaf thing.

Banjo Kazooie I'm honestly surprised had the most votes, and I knew some people wanted Issac but his results were insanely high. (I suppose it's because I heavily underestimate it's fandom.) And Paper Mario!? Really... Yes he would be unique, but we don't need ANOTHER Mario.

These results is probably from people we're voting more than twice to have their favorite character win than a honest vote. I really don't believe these scores on the character votes except for K. Rool, Bayonetta, Inklings, Shovel Knight, and Solid Snake. Those scores actually sound believable and plausible compared to everything else.

Neoxon

Shovel Knight has a better chance based on the sole reason that he isn't owned by a rival console-making company.

NeonZ

There was an official poll just for the DLC characters? I'd like to see that. Only ever heard of one about the main game's characters.

This was published in the "Knights of Iris" book and is from the same popularity poll that IS used to decide who'd get the pictures in Awakening's beach and hotsprings DLC, although it was a separate category.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39475&page=2#entry2361751

1 - Marth
2 - Lyn
3 - Roy
4 - Eirika
5 - Sigurd
6 - Alm
7 - Ephraim
8 - Seliph
9 - Leif
10 - Ike

MagnesD3

If the top 10 of that poll made it in Smash would basically be perfect and the only reason for a Smash 5 would be better graphics and Ridley finally being playable.

JCX

It is only one game, but Shovel Knight would not exist if not for the influences of so many characters from Smash. Aside from having a higher ceiling due to better technology, SK would fit right in. It could also be a strong sign to indies that Nintendo values their contributions. I'd prefer SK to Banjo.

Illucio

Banned
But it's reddit. It's a place where people like to cling to an identity because it's a cool thing. It's like a worse 4chan.

Wait wait. HOLD YOUR KEYBOARD THERE. There is a place worse than 4chan? Unless everything about the internet that I know today is a lie that's a very hard connection.

I thought Reddit was a magical place where people with no life outside that general subject waste their time? And 4chan was a magical place where with no life outside a general subject waste everyone else's time?

Gartooth

Banjo & Kazooie in #1 fuck yeah. B)

Rest of the top 10 aren't too surprising. Looking at the rest of the characters, I'm shocked at how low some of them placed such as Toad and Dixie Kong.

Also I've come around to Isaac recently. Golden Sun is a pretty fun game!

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I'm somehow both surprised and yet not surprised at Isaac's placement.. if that makes any sense. Banjo Kazooie, Isaac, K Rool, Snake, Shovel Knight, Inklings, Wolf, Bayonetta, all sound about right. But Paper Frickin' Mario? I would never have expected.

Also, I love how high Banjo Kazooie is on the ballot. It would be such a dream come true if he was in...but no matter how many votes he gets I highly doubt he'll be in Smash. That being said, 3rd parties aside: Isaac, K Rool, Paper Mario and (by far less votes) Inklings are the top scorers here. I mean come on, as much as I loved Super Paper Mario (Playable Paper Bowser ftw), I didn't expect so many votes for him. After that it's the Ice Climbers who were cut for technical reasons, everyone else is 3rd Party.

Still though, I have high hopes for the likes of Isaac, K Rool, and Inklings. I'd say if the "3 Vets, 3 Ballot Characters" speculation is true, I'd think that Wolf, Isaac, K Rool, and Inklings would join Mewtwo and Lucas in Post-Launch Smash 4's roster.

I would be totally fucking down with Isaac, K Rool, and Inklings.

Neoxon

I'm somehow both surprised and yet not surprised at Isaac's placement.. if that makes any sense. Banjo Kazooie, Isaac, K Rool, Snake, Shovel Knight, Inklings, Wolf, Bayonetta, all sound about right. But Paper Frickin' Mario? I would never have expected.

Also, I love how high Banjo Kazooie is on the ballot. It would be such a dream come true if he was in...but no matter how many votes he gets I highly doubt he'll be in Smash. That being said, 3rd parties aside: Isaac, K Rool, Paper Mario and (by far less votes) Inklings are the top scorers here. I mean come on, as much as I loved Super Paper Mario (Playable Paper Bowser ftw), I didn't expect so many votes for him. After that it's the Ice Climbers who were cut for technical reasons, everyone else is 3rd Party.

Still though, I have high hopes for the likes of Isaac, K Rool, and Inklings. I'd say if the "3 Vets, 3 Ballot Characters" speculation is true, I'd think that Wolf, Isaac, K Rool, and Inklings would join Mewtwo and Lucas in Post-Launch Smash 4's roster.

I would be totally fucking down with Isaac, K Rool, and Inklings.
I'm going with 3 veterans, 1 newcomer, 2-3 ballot. As for Isaac, he needs this poll given that his franchise has sadly long since been dead & buried (at least Wonder Red is still within recent memory).

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going with 3 veterans, 1 newcomer, 2-3 ballot. As for Isaac, he needs this poll given that his franchise has sadly long since been dead & buried (at least Wonder Red is still within recent memory).

That's still okay for me! About the same number or even one more.

Zubz

Banned
JwabDuS.png

I wish he's in Smash, but he looks more Pokken

Yeah, saving Hoopa for Pokken sounds about right for me. I'd be happier with Hoopa in that game than I would in Smash (Not that I'd mind too much), and since it'd probably be publicly available by, but not too long before, Pokken's release, it makes sense to me that they'll add him to its roster as a bonus boss or something, as well.

Dryk

I like how Reckless Wiimote Safety Man doesn't get lumped into "Not even worth mentioning". What a shit category.

This should probably be posted. It's the best K. Rool moveset I've "seen" so far.

That moveset is pretty amazing, only thing I'd change is not to have spin-off games like Sluggers get represented, but that's just personal preference. Plus without Dedede not being able to spam Waddledees anymore, I approve of our new Klaptrap overlords.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
So any idea on if I can play against an opponent with Mewtwo if I don't have the DLC?

Once the patch goes live, you'll likely have the "compatibility" to play against Mewtwo, you just won't have him available to select on your system. Compatibility patches almost always accompany character DLC for fighting games and such for that reason, so your game doesn't crash in error when you encounter a fighter you haven't downloaded online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom