• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It would put a whole new meaning on some of his lines.

"What's the matter, scared?"
"We're gonna have fun with this thang"

lol

I seriously can't imagine a posh british accent speaking those lines

I pray to Ninty that if he ever comes back, they should just get lazy with his voice over and bring his Brawl clips, I mean they didn't have to record new stuff for Lucas despite Ness having new lines!

image.php
*Everyone puts their hands on their hips and tilts their head at Boss Doggie as huge '90s-style sitcom font spins in from the background: THAT'S SO BOSS DOGGIE*

Aw yeeeahhh~

I'll compromise at Wolf wearing a wonder bra.

should I look up what a wonder bra is

I pray to Ninty that if he ever comes back, they should just get lazy with his voice over and bring his Brawl clips, I mean they didn't have to record new stuff for Lucas despite Ness having new lines!

His bad british accent doesn't fit his savage move set either.

Ryce

Speaking of Lucas, I wonder if he'll have PK Flash as a custom special since his actor didn't record new lines.

Things Wolf has going for him
- Star Fox U is coming out soon.

On top of that, it's pretty much inevitable that Nintendo's gonna have a trailer for that at E3, and Wolf's return to Smash as DLC would be the perfect companion for it.

And now that I think about it, Smash might as well be the only game series of all time where a single DLC character is big news worthy to show at E3. I don't think there's any game where a DLC of any kind, let alone a sole item, can be this popular haha.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
He's right. When I'm trying to think about the moveset and it does feel so limited. He's way better off as assist trophy.
This is the developer that gave Marth a moveset in the same game we are discussing. Saki is very similar to Marth, except he has a gun as well and can transform into an Evangelion.

I could go with "oh yeah his game didn't sell well" for an excuse. The moveset one is just lazy.

Neiteio

Wolf should be easy money for Nintendo, too.

Even lil' kids who don't know him will like him.

Boys will be like, "BADASS, IT'S A WEREWOLF VEGETA."

And girls will be like

despicable-me-its-so-fluffy.gif

Neoxon

The only reason Ness had new lines is because his VA also does Kirby & JP Viridi.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So Saki isn't happening because Sakurai can't find enough moves for him. That kind of sucks...

At least Wonder-Red won't run into that problem. I know a lot of people want him to use the other Unite Morphs, but even his Fist alone is adequate.

Imagine if Wolf is redesigned to look like whatever he looks like in Star Fox WiiU

*imagination intensifies*

E3 is going to be interesting.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Marth's moveset in Melee:

B - Charge sword
Side B - Slice with sword a bunch of times
Up B - Jump into the air with SWORD IN HAND
Down B - Counter

Every other attack - Sword slash

i mean seriously

seriously

Boney

Banned
The only reason Ness had new lines is because his VA also does Kirby & JP Viridi.
Now I'm curious as to how Japanese Viridi sounds

Marth's moveset in Melee:

B - Charge sword
Side B - Slice with sword a bunch of times
Up B - Jump into the air with SWORD IN HAND
Down B - Counter

Every other attack - Sword slash

i mean seriously

seriously
While I agree Saki would be awesome and that he was robbed in Brawl, Marth's moveset in the context of Melee was actually pretty novel.

Tyeforce

If that was true, they would be on the initial roster. Theres no way even if we would buy them that a character newcomer like Chorus Kids would be sold as DLC. They were planned for the initial roster and had to be cut because they were too complicated. Nothing else makes sense, they would be in the game otherwise since it fits with them advertising the new Rhythm Heaven and already has Sneaky Spirit and trophy. The only way this all adds up if they were indeed too complicated. I sadly don't see them happening as DLC since I think it would be initial roster or nothing.
If you think about it, the Chorus Kids (or any Rhythm Heaven character, for that matter) are actually the best possible newcomer to hold back as DLC, because the timing works perfectly in their favor. Assuming that Chorus Kids were planned for inclusion in the base game but had to be cut due to time constraints or whatever, comparing Chorus Kids to every other newcomer reveals something interesting. With the exception of Shulk with Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (which is only a port, not a new game), Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven is the only character/franchise to have a major new game release planned within the year after Smash Bros.'s release. If, during initial development, a newcomer had to be cut and possibly set aside to work on later and release as DLC, Chorus Kids make the most sense, because they have a new game coming out that their DLC could coincide with! Having that cross promotion would help both Smash Bros. and the new Rhythm Heaven game, and it's an even better opportunity for Rhythm Heaven outside Japan, because it's the perfect way to help boost the Rhythm Heaven franchise overseas! Plus, if the character had an interesting enough move set (which I'm sure a Rhythm Heaven character most certainly would!), there's no doubt that it will sell very well as DLC, even to people who aren't fans of Rhythm Heaven.

Neiteio

I'm on the bus, without headphones...

Should I?
As it turns out, the Japanese script of Kid Icarus Uprising is full of racist humor. And it happens that the bus Boney was riding on that day was full of politically correct Japanese people...

Neoxon

If you think about it, the Chorus Kids (or any Rhythm Heaven character, for that matter) are actually the best possible newcomer to hold back as DLC, because the timing works perfectly in their favor. Assuming that Chorus Kids were planned for inclusion in the base game but had to be cut due to time constraints or whatever, comparing Chorus Kids to every other newcomer reveals something interesting. With the exception of Shulk with Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (which is only a port, not a new game), Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven is the only character/franchise to have a major new game release planned within the year after Smash Bros.'s release. If, during initial development, a newcomer had to be cut and possibly set aside to work on later and release as DLC, Chorus Kids make the most sense, because they have a new game coming out that their DLC could coincide with! Having that cross promotion would help both Smash Bros. and the new Rhythm Heaven game, and it's an even better opportunity for Rhythm Heaven outside Japan, because it's the perfect way to help boost the Rhythm Heaven franchise overseas! Plus, if the character had an interesting enough move set (which I'm sure a Rhythm Heaven character most certainly would!), there's no doubt that it will sell very well as DLC, even to people who aren't fans of Rhythm Heaven.
Plus let's be honest, most would buy any DLC Smash character regardless. The competitive scene has to, so there's a ton of money right there.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
While I agree Saki would be awesome and that he was robbed in Brawl, Marth's moveset in the context of Melee was actually pretty novel.
I'm not hating on Marth. Lucina is one of my mains! Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Okay, so Saki sucks. WHICH IS WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE FOR ISA JO

Normal and Aerial attacks - Punch and kicks, inspired on this fight from the game.
Smash Attacks - Rapid fire in different directions

B - Charge Shot, like he does in the original game when you charge your shots
Side B - Multi-Hit Lock-On Shot, which is Kachi's ability in the same game
Up B - Flight enabled. This would be limited, unlike the original game, and would stop you from using any other move
Down B - Slash Parry that reflects projectiles, like in the original game

Final Smash - THIS

It took me all of two minutes to think of this. C'MON SAKURAI

Tyeforce

Plus let's be honest, most would buy any DLC Smash character regardless. The competitive scene has to, so there's a ton of money right there.
Very true. Still, the timing couldn't be better for Rhythm Heaven! Since the new game comes out in Japan this June, with a possible localization announcement at E3, I imagine we might get a Chorus Kids Smash Bros. DLC reveal trailer at E3 as well, perhaps alongside a Wolf trailer, like the Mewtwo/Lucas combo we just got in the last Direct.

I think the GameXplain boys were right about Banjo-Kazooie being a given if Rare stayed with Nintendo and it being probably impossible now because it's looking like Rare might drop a Banjo announcement at E3 this year.

I don't know why motherfuckers want Wolf back however. That's a generic ass anthropomorphic tough guy design and he was sort of ass compared to Fox and Falco.

Tyeforce

I don't know why motherfuckers want Wolf back however. That's a generic ass anthropomorphic tough guy design and he was sort of ass compared to Fox and Falco.
He's a "villain" (more of an anti-hero/rival, I guess, but still), he played very uniquely from Fox and Falco, aside from similar specials (which are still more different than Falco's are from Fox's), he's relevant with the new Star Fox game coming out, and a lot of people like his character. Why not bring him back? It only makes sense!

There's no other humanoid in Smash that does what Wolf does. You're not likely to see Mario or Fox out there biting people and mauling them with their claws.

Wolf is basically a werewolf in Brawl. They could have went a very different direction with him (Fox 2.0, now with more power and less speed), but they managed to make him creative and fun to play.

Neoxon

Very true. Still, the timing couldn't be better for Rhythm Heaven! Since the new game comes out in Japan this June, with a possible localization announcement at E3, I imagine we might get a Chorus Kids Smash Bros. DLC reveal trailer at E3 as well, perhaps alongside a Wolf trailer, like the Mewtwo/Lucas combo we just got in the last Direct.
If we do get the Chorus Kids, my guess is October as the last non-ballot character(s), with Wolf coming in August (don't lie to yourself, he's coming).

As for Rhythm Heaven 3DS, I'm gonna say Summer 2016 in America on account of the lyrical songs that they need to translate & record in English.

Yo fam, I want to see Paper Boy up in this shit. Give us more joke characters. We got R.O.B., Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt and to round that shit out we need the homie Paper Boy!

Tyeforce

If we do get the Chorus Kids, my guess is October as the last non-ballot character(s), with Wolf coming in August (don't lie to yourself, he's coming).

As for Rhythm Heaven 3DS, I'm gonna say Summer 2016 in America on account of the lyrical songs that they need to translate & record in English.
Oh, I'm pretty sure we are getting Wolf, it's just a matter of when! I'm also pretty confident that we'll get the Rhythm Heaven character, too. I just wonder which one we'll get first, assuming we actually get both.

And I don't think it's going to take a full year to localize the new Rhythm Heaven game. A large part of the game is remade rhythm games from past Rhythm Heaven games, so rhythm games from Rhythm Heaven and Rhythm Heaven Fever are already localized. They only have to localize the new rhythm games, rhythm games from the original GBA game, and new remixes. Considering that Rhythm Heaven Fever only took about half a year to be localized (in North America, at least), I think it's totally realistic to expect a localized release of the new 3DS game by the end of this year.

I think the GameXplain boys were right about Banjo-Kazooie being a given if Rare stayed with Nintendo and it being probably impossible now because it's looking like Rare might drop a Banjo announcement at E3 this year.

Yeah, I really don't want to buy back Brawl characters. Why waste this chance to add characters on having people make Brawl again?

Hope they don't bring back more vets.

Neoxon

Oh, I'm pretty sure we are getting Wolf, it's just a matter of when! I'm also pretty confident that we'll get the Rhythm Heaven character, too. I just wonder which one we'll get first, assuming we actually get both.

And I don't think it's going to take a full year to localize the new Rhythm Heaven game. A large part of the game is remade rhythm games from past Rhythm Heaven games, so rhythm games from Rhythm Heaven and Rhythm Heaven Fever are already localized. They only have to localize the new rhythm games, rhythm games from the original GBA game, and new remixes. Considering that Rhythm Heaven Fever only took about half a year to be localized (in North America, at least), I think it's totally realistic to expect a localized release of the new 3DS game by the end of this year.
But the amount of new stuff is equal to the other Rhythm Heaven games, so there's that to consider.

Tyeforce

Yeah, I really don't want to buy back Brawl characters. Why waste this chance to add characters on having people make Brawl again?

You realize that bringing back veterans is probably considerably easier than developing brand new characters, right? I wouldn't compare the two at all. If we get, say, four veterans as DLC, that does NOT mean that we could have gotten four newcomers instead with the same amount of development. It doesn't work like that.

But the amount of new stuff is equal to the other Rhythm Heaven games, so there's that to consider.
Oh, really? I wasn't aware of that! I thought it was a bit less than in older games, but made up for with the fact that it's got a bunch of older games and new remixes involving the older games, too. Well, I suppose that's a good thing! Still, I think it's likely to release outside Japan within this year, considering Rhythm Heaven Fever's localization time.

Neoxon

Wolf will probably be the last veteran. On top of that, what's wrong with bringing loved veterans over to a better game? Sure, they still need to be remade from scratch, but they don't have to worry about planning.

kirby_fox

Banned
Wolf will probably be the last veteran. On top of that, what's wrong with bringing loved veterans over to a better game? Sure, they still need to be remade from scratch, but they don't have to worry about planning.

You know Pichu will return in all of his glorious self-destructive manner!

I'm personally expecting that before Lucas goes on sale in June that they're going to have a season pass of sorts for Smash that is too good to pass up. Buy it at the start, get all the characters, stages, Mii costumes, etc. for something like $19.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom