• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know Pichu will return in all of his glorious self-destructive manner!

I'm personally expecting that before Lucas goes on sale in June that they're going to have a season pass of sorts for Smash that is too good to pass up. Buy it at the start, get all the characters, stages, Mii costumes, etc. for something like $19.99.

Hopefully that would come with some kind of percent off for people who already own the original two pieces of DLC (Mewtwo and the Mii costumes series 1)

Yeah, I really don't want to buy back Brawl characters. Why waste this chance to add characters on having people make Brawl again?

Hope they don't bring back more vets.

Because I can't play Wolf in Smash 4 and I want to use Wolf in Smash 4.
And Roy

Ryce

Considering the first wave of Mii costumes alone costs $9.20, I doubt there's going to be a season pass. It would be considerably more expensive than $20.

Considering the first wave of Mii costumes alone costs $9.20, I doubt there's going to be a season pass. It would be considerably more expensive than $20.

I don't really see many reasons anyone would ever need the Mii costumes on both versions of the game though. So I don't know why they priced it so crazy high to get both versions, because there isn't really a point

Fuck Mii costumes. The other characters better get costume DLC too. Ganondorf in his Hyrule Warriors outfit would be sweet :)

I'd really like Melee style costumes.

Melee Fox, Melee Falco, "Melee" Wolf (SF64 Wolf), Ocarina Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf, those would be cool.

I know they've worked to try and make a consistent theme, but Ocarina Link looks a lot better.

OmegaFax

I'm a little split on the Mii costumes. I wonder if I need to buy both the Wii U and 3DS costumes if I plan to customize characters on the 3DS and transfer them over.

Ryce

I don't really see any reason anyone would ever need the Mii costumes on both versions of the game though. So I don't know why they priced it so crazy high to get both versions, because there isn't really a point
Yeah, it's really dumb. I don't plan on buying any. I feel like Mii costumes are just an easy way for Nintendo to make money and help fund (or even justify the existence of) more substantial DLC. They're the Team Fortress 2 hats of Super Smash Bros.

Yeah, it's really dumb. I don't plan on buying any. I feel like Mii costumes are just an easy way for Nintendo to make money and help fund (or even justify) the existence of more substantial DLC. They're the Team Fortress 2 hats of Super Smash Bros.

I spend an illegal amount of money on TF2 and Dota 2 hats, so hats in Smash... is rough for me because I will buy them all :x

It also doesn't help I like playing as Mii Brawler and Gunner.

...only on the Wii U. I hardly ever play the 3DS and I can live without Protoman for the couple of times I do play the 3DS version.

kirby_fox

Banned

Characters/stages only, and I'd even guess that Mewtwo would be excluded from it.

They would call it a bundle, similar to MK8 but more expensive. Hell, I could see it being ONLY characters.

Puruzi

Banned
Only costume DLC I really really really really want is a Mr.L skin for Luigi.

I know PM has it, but I play Smash 4 more

ffdgh

If there ever was character costume dlc, it'd be cool if amiibos ulocked them for free or gave a discount.

Tho there's the possibility of this being highly exploitable.

I was really excited for Mii costumes when they were first revealed and I thought it was a buck for the entire pack. But as they are they're awfully expensive and I don't understand why they're not dynamically priced - how is only the Majora's Mask the same price as an entire Link costume which is the same price as a T-shirt costume for all three Mii types?

Character costume would feel a lot more reasonable at a buck for a set of recolors, since they don't stack on top of the already-large-amount of Mii costumes in game. I would easily shell out a dollar to play as Prime Samus or Hyrule Warriors Link.

I also voted for K. Rool so Gonzo doesn't murder me in my sleep:

"K. Rool is a lovable villain! Ideally, he would have his King form (Donkey Kong Country) and Kaptain form (Donkey Kong Country 2). He can wield his blunderbuss, shooting cannonballs, laying down spike traps, etc. It could also provide rocket propulsion. He could also lay down Klaptraps. He would be a fast heavyweight, similar to Wario. These are just some ideas. However he's implemented, I want to play as K. Rool!"

Good stuff. The nice thing about K. Rool is that it's easy to provide a good answer to the questionnaire on the ballot. "Villain, heavyweight, DK rep, moveset potential, popularity..." And on that note, I'm back with my daily dose of K. Rool related goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvlLJTMHQZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3_y1kDdF5w

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjmX6er3A

SaikyoBro

Some of the Mii costumes are super cool but the fact they're mad expensive and I don't use any of the Mii characters really limits their utility. Maybe if they make a whole bunch then have a discounted bundle with all of them (like Street Fighter IV's alt costumes) I'll pick them all up down the road but I'm not about to drop $10 for every wave when I'll very rarely see any of them.

Costume DLC for the actual characters on the other hand I'd be all over.

J@hranimo

Banned
Maaaaan if Sakurai was cool he'd let us use the Miis online!

If that were the case I'd get at least one of these costumes. Other than that I don't use them too much except for Crazy Orders and whatnot.

Not allowing Miis will be super silly in a post Mii sharing world.

Because Mii sharing breaks all of the reasons they don't allow Miis anyway

...and they could just blank the Miis, it's not a ridiculous concept to clear the face of the Mii.

...and they could just blank the Miis, it's not a ridiculous concept to clear the face of the Mii.

Or they could also make them look like the Default miis on the CSS portrait.

The original design of the Motion Sensor Bomb in 64 and Melee was from Goldeneye, so it wasn't like James Bond seemed like a complete impossibility back then. Back when SSB64 released Rare pretty much equaled Nintendo in most fan's eyes and Goldeneye was a huge fucking deal.

Though the Motion Sensor Bomb in the Japanese version of Melee takes its design from Perfect Dark, and is stated to be as such in the trophies along with the Cloaking Device, unlike the western release's "TOP SECRET" nonsense.

It's kind of fun to imagine what Smash Bros. (and Nintendo as a whole) would look like now had they retained Rare's IPs. Banjo and Perfect Dark probably would have had a decent presence in SSB3.
Really wish Rare didn't scrap their old Scribes entries when they redesigned their site post-Kinect since I swear I remember Loveday saying they submitted a ton of Rare-related trophies to HAL for Melee but most wound up never getting used.

Still reckon the looming buyout (I get the impression noise that Rare was looking to at least go third party was already apparent internally by 2001) was what ultimately made Nintendo distance themselves from Rare in Melee, DKC and kindasorta Perfect Dark references aside.

Really wish Rare didn't scrap their old Scribes entries when they redesigned their site post-Kinect since I swear I remember Loveday saying they submitted a ton of Rare-related trophies to HAL for Melee but most wound up never getting used.

Still reckon the looming buyout (I get the impression noise that Rare was looking to at least go third party was already apparent internally by 2001) was what ultimately made Nintendo distance themselves from Rare in Melee, DKC and kindasorta Perfect Dark references aside.
I'm pretty sure Diddy's trophy was scrapped because it referenced Diddy Kong Racing. It was weird how K. Rool and Dixie had trophies in Melee but Diddy didn't. Imagine how amazing the roster could have been. :(

Sponge

Banned
I'm pretty sure Diddy's trophy was scrapped because it referenced Diddy Kong Racing. It was weird how K. Rool and Dixie had trophies in Melee but Diddy didn't. Imagine how amazing the roster could have been. :(

That's always been my guess about the lack of a Diddy trophy, too. We could have had a ton of Rare stuff in Melee.

Fast forward to today and four of the most requested characters are Rare created ones. Three of which are owned by Nintendo. I'm hoping we at least get one.

Doesn't MK8 just force you to default to your NNID Mii Nintendo routinely checks anyway? No clue why Sakurai doesn't do that. Hell, have a 'custom' option in For Glory, and if the balancing is too out of whack just have the wins and loses for that option in its own section.

Is this based off anything? Nintendo owns the Diddy Kong Racing name at least, and if it was simply a reference to the title and nothing else it'd be weird to cut it over that. A lot of franchises in Melee that weren't Mario/Pokemon/Kirby had kinda spotty representation when it came to trophies since most were made from scratch.

Sponge

Banned
DIs this based off anything? Nintendo owns the Diddy Kong Racing name at least, and if it was simply a reference to the title and nothing else it'd be weird to cut it over that. A lot of franchises in Melee that weren't Mario/Pokemon/Kirby had kinda spotty representation when it came to trophies since most were made from scratch.

They probably didn't want to acknowledge Diddy Kong Racing because while Nintendo got to keep the IP, the only characters they own in that game are Diddy and Krunch. I'm sure Nintendo had no idea what Rare was gonna do when they left and for all they knew they could have just made a sequel without Diddy. Basically Pro AM 64 before Miyamoto changed it.

Doesn't MK8 just force you to default to your NNID Mii Nintendo routinely checks anyway? No clue why Sakurai doesn't do that. Hell, have a 'custom' option in For Glory, and if the balancing is too out of whack just have the wins and loses for that option in its own section.
No, I use Captain Falcon online all the time and he's not my NNID Mii.

Miis wouldn't require a custom option, they work just fine without customs on.

Gartooth

Seeing how popular the Rare choices were on the Melee poll hurts. We would've probably had Banjo & Kazooie by Brawl, Joanna Dark by Brawl or Smash 4, and perhaps another DKC character sooner had Rare kept the series alive during the 2000's.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
For the longest time, I wondered why the internet was so crazy over Shrek lately.
Then I realized...
Shrek came out 14 years ago. Say a 6 or 7 year old watched it as a kid and made a big impact. That kid is now an adult and posting stupid fanart and fanfics on the internet.

... I feel old.

Josh5890

For the longest time, I wondered why the internet was so crazy over Shrek lately.
Then I realized...
Shrek came out 14 years ago. Say a 6 or 7 year old watched it as a kid and made a big impact. That kid is now an adult and posting stupid fanart and fanfics on the internet.

... I feel old.

I was 11 when it came out. How do you think I feel?

Heck now that some of these athletes that I root for are younger than me I'm starting to feel old lol.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I was 11 when it came out. How do you think I feel?

Heck now that some of these athletes that I root for are younger than me I'm starting to feel old lol.

I was the same age. But now it's gotten to the point where the nostalgia of younger kids is starting to take hold.
We're starting to get Power Rangers that weren't born when the show premiered.

On-Topic: #WonderRed4Smash

Crayolan

I never realized how scary shrek is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tII-duWFrQ0

Related Videos: Top 10 Scariest Creepypastas

Then I realized...

... I feel old.

I was a kid when Shrek came out and actually went and saw the movie in theaters. Pretty good movie iirc.

But the dumb internet Shrek jokes didn't start until years after the movie's heyday. Actually, let me check KYM...

the character didn’t got substantial cult-like following online until 2010 to 2012, after Shrek became a popular character in pun jokes and greentext stories. These fans commonly refer to themselves as “Brogres”, in similar vein to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic enthusiasts known as “Bronies”.

Yea...

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Brogres?

For a while I had no idea where Shrek of all things was starting to get rooted for in Smash. I mean Goku being Goku, but where the hell did Shrek come into this? Little did I know there was a Shrek cult in a similar vain to Bronies. I haven't even heard of this "Brogre" term before until just now.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, but Shrek seems to be limited to pretty much just the Internet (I mean, "Brogres"), whereas Bronies are a real-life phenomenon I've encountered.

I'm pretty sure the whole Shrek thing is mocking the latter, but evolved beyond a joke like every other meme.

Goku getting into Smash actually would be amazing though, I don't care what you say.

Javier

I thought we would get it this Wednesday?
We know Wednesday's patch includes:

- Mewtwo for CN users that registered both versions of SSB4.
- Compatibility with future DLC.
- Diddy nerfing. Character tweaking.
- New sharing functions (Miis, Custom Stages, etc.) for the Wii U version.

There was no mention of Miiverse or Tournament mode. It COULD happen, but nothing official has been said.

I'm kinda out of the loop with Mewtwo's release this week (I had no idea it was so soon.) Is there going to be any other content released like the Miiverse stage or the tournament mode? Or is just Mewtwo for now?

Hatchtag

Banned
Work with me gaf, my chances for viridi, kumatora, ashley, and melia are?

I feel like chances for a second Warioware rep are much lower now that we know Rhythym Heaven has been considered for representation.

I'm kinda out of the loop with Mewtwo's release this week (I had no idea it was so soon.) Is there going to be any other content released like the Miiverse stage or the tournament mode? Or is just Mewtwo for now?

See:

We know Wednesday's patch includes:

- Mewtwo for CN users that registered both versions of SSB4.
- Compatibility with future DLC.
- Diddy nerfing. Character tweaking.
- New sharing functions (Miis, Custom Stages, etc.) for the Wii U version.

There was no mention of Miiverse or Tournament mode. It COULD happen, but nothing official has been said.

I personally think Miiverse and Tourneys are likely.
I also think Mii Outfits come out then too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm going to be frank with this: I didn't expected that I would work on Smash Bros 4 DLC OT. It was pretty last minutes thing for me so I highly urge that everyone shouldn't have high expectation for fantastic OT this time because I'm going to re-use contents from Smash OT.

Hopefully, I would have better contents by time that I'm going to make one for Lucas and rest of contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom