• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Miiverse has its own mods, it wouldn't rely on Smash Bros staff.

I just find it odd that this is the only game to have a problem with Miiverse. Other games have coped just fine with pulling live content and tags.

Also my argument is for why the stage could have been with us from the beginning rather than six months later.

Miiverse has its own mods, it wouldn't rely on Smash Bros staff.

I just find it odd that this is the only game to have a problem with Miiverse. Other games have coped just fine with pulling live content and tags.

Also my argument is for why the stage could have been with us from the beginning rather than six months later.

Other games have coped with copy written and lewd Mii faces too. They're protective of Smash for some reason.

Also when they described the stage, they mentioned they needed time to "collect the posts" which tells me they aren't doing it dynamically.

woopWOOP

For some reason I thought they'd send out the code this week, but actual patch wouldn't be live until the end of this month.

So Mewtwo tomorrow? Sweet! (Hopefully the EU Club Nintendo mails the codes out on time.)

Maybe they'll accidentally ship a list of future DLC with Mewtwo.

Like in the files
"POKE_MEWTWO"
"MOTHER_LUCAS"
"STAR_WOLF"
"FEMBLEM_ROY"
"DK_KROOL"
"101_RED"

and something super vague like "BP_DINO" or something we won't be able to figure out.

Fandangox

Page 101.

ibhefo47zMGRJg.gif

;-;

Like in the files
"POKE_MEWTWO"
"MOTHER_LUCAS"
"STAR_WOLF"
"FEMBLEM_ROY"
"DK_KROOL"
"101_RED"

and something super vague like "BP_DINO" or something we won't be able to figure out.

I think there may be a decent chance of people being able to find something, ALTHOUGH that would mean the ballot really is pointless and they have already decided who they want ALTHOUGH are the results really gonna be that different in 6 months?

Voted for K Rool

I personally can't stand him, but my brother is on the K Rool train, so I figured I should help out

That's the spirit! After K. Rool, I pretty much don't care who gets in. Be it Wonder Red, Waddle Dee, or Frog Mario, I just hope it's limited to first parties only. Characters like Mega Man and Pac-Man are legendary mascots who have significance to Nintendo. What does Shovel Knight have? One game? A game that was never released in Japan? I can't see Sakurai considering him for even a second. On the other hand, Rayman Legends was published by Nintendo in Japan, which signifies to me that they may have interest in using the IP at some point.

Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible.
Sugita: Spongebob’s games are only sold abroad!
Sakurai: That’s right

"only sold abroad"

Ryce

Even Rayman is a stretch as far as potential third-parties go. A bunch of his games have released in Japan, but he's still practically unknown over there. I'm under the impression that guest characters have to be globally recognizable in order to be included in Smash Bros., and there really aren't many of those left.

Ddin't harker say that Ubisoft try to get Rayman in but Nintendo said no?
We don't know the logistics of it, but yes. For all we know, they could have asked too late into development. After all, didn't Sakurai say that the roster was decided in 2013? This whole notion that Nintendo is still bitter over the Rayman Legends delay is absolutely ridiculous. Did the Capcom Five (which was far worse) prevent Mega Man from joining the roster? That being said, Rayman's lack of presence in Japan is a bit worrisome, though I wouldn't rule him out entirely.

Neoxon

Like in the files
"POKE_MEWTWO"
"MOTHER_LUCAS"
"STAR_WOLF"
"RHYTHM_CKIDS"
"DK_KROOL"
"101_RED"

FTFY

Roy was abandoned by his own fanbase & adopted by another who isn't getting him enough awareness. He's not coming back (I know it wasn't the point of that post, but I'd rather not humor the possibility).

On-topic, I'm sure Sakurai will think ahead & not spoil the surprise. Plus I don't think the ballot characters were chosen yet.

FTFY

Roy was abandoned by his own fanbase & adopted by another who isn't getting him enough awareness. He's not coming back (I know it wasn't the point of that post, but I'd rather not humor the possibility).
This was in the thread a few days ago and the "roy isn't popular in Japan!!!" meme was shot down hard.

This just isn't true. Roy's game sold more than any game that came after it in Japan (including Ike's), until Awakening.

Roy was also right below Marth on Awakening DLC popularity polls (and wayyyy above Ike). Roy is one of the top Japanese DLC suggestions on Twitter (based on translations). Possibly even requested more than Wolf.

The "Roy isn't liked by Japan" thing is just wrong, not backed by anything. It has no base in anything. It's a meme. If anything, Roy's popularity can actually be demonstrated as more than Ike's. Way more than Ike's. And Ike's popularity is never in question.

Neoxon

This was in the thread a few days ago and the "roy isn't popular in Japan!!!" meme was shot down hard.

This just isn't true. Roy's game sold more than any game that came after it in Japan (including Ike's), until Awakening.

Roy was also right below Marth on Awakening DLC popularity polls (and wayyyy above Ike). Roy is one of the top Japanese DLC suggestions on Twitter (based on translations). Possibly even requested more than Wolf.

The "Roy isn't liked by Japan" thing is just wrong, not backed by anything. It has no base in anything. It's a meme. If anything, Roy's popularity can actually be demonstrated as more than Ike's. Way more than Ike's. And Ike's popularity is never in question.
Roy's game was also touted as the worst in the series, & Roy himself as one of the worst lords in Fire Emblem history. Most of his fans now are Smash fans.

Roy's game was also touted as the worst in the series, & Roy himself as one of the worst lords in Fire Emblem history. Most of his fans now are Smash fans.

Which is how Roy was one of the most popular lords to return for Awakening DLC?

Smash fans? Which is why Ike was like number 10, way below characters that had never been in Smash?

Are you pulling this from anywhere or just making it up for some reason?

Ryce

A game's popularity and its main character's popularity are two different things. I'm not saying Roy isn't popular -- I don't know -- but sales have nothing to do with it.

Fandangox

We don't know the logistics of it, but yes. For all we know, they could have asked too late into development. After all, didn't Sakurai say that the roster was decided in 2013? This whole notion that Nintendo is still bitter over the Rayman Legends delay is absolutely ridiculous. Did the Capcom Five (which was far worse) prevent Mega Man from joining the roster? That being said, Rayman's lack of presence in Japan is a bit worrisome, though I wouldn't rule him out entirely.

I didn't even suggest they were bitter, just that they said no.

R.D.Blax

I remember a smashboard member doing some research on the Japanese Fire Emblem fan base and I'm pretty sure I have seen that FE6 was at least better rated than Awakening. And that FE6 was the Awakening of his time, basically reviving the series... So no, maybe most of his western fan are the Smash fans, but obviously not in japan

We both know Ridley isn't happening anytime soon. And I'm pretty sure Porky would fall under the same "too big" clause as Ridley.

Porky could fight outside of his spider mech. And yeah, Ridley will probably never be playable as long as Sakurai is in charge. Captain Syrup would be amazing, but that would require acknowledging Wario Land, and I don't see that happening either. :(

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I remember a smashboard member doing some research on the Japanese Fire Emblem fan base and I'm pretty sure I have seen that FE6 was at least better rated than Awakening. And that FE6 was the Awakening of his time, basically reviving the series... So no, maybe most of his western fan are the Smash fans, but obviously not in japan

Well fe6 is still more of a fire emblem game then awakening will ever be.

Awakening does have better lords however. Roy sucked.

So I came across some hilarious
trolling
tongue-in-cheek banners my friend made for GameFAQs in the early days of pre-Smash 4 hype. You can find them all here and here, but I listed some of my favorites below. Are any of your choices present?

qOQfN.jpg

pILZe.jpg

YJgih.jpg

n0RmT.jpg

OxBPo.jpg

bU6uM.jpg

OeIiY.jpg

mQZHe.jpg

Sr5Pq.jpg

pGcCg.jpg

iJCEl.jpg

ujt7C.jpg

MvHlH.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Porky could fight outside of his spider mech. And yeah, Ridley will probably never be playable as long as Sakurai is in charge. Captain Syrup would be amazing, but that would require acknowledging Wario Land, and I don't see that happening either. :(
And we still have the Ganondorf situation. And bowsers voice.

PtM

Banned
Sounds realistic. Kojima asked for Snake too late into Melee development, too.

L Thammy

Looking at PushDustin's article (posted earlier), I actually really like some of the characters Sakurai's considered. When looking at that as well as Sir Ilpalazzo's research, it seems like a Sakurai has written off a lot of his ideas due to concerns about overseas popularity.

I hope that this poll convinces Sakurai to make use of Takamaru since it seems that he's been considering him for a long time. Sakurai probably has some good ideas locked in a dresser somewhere.

Since Sakurai mentioned Mach Rider multiple times, I wonder what he'd do with that character. I don't think there's enough material in the NES game to make a fighter with. He's just a dude that rides a motorcycle and shoots stuff. The name makes me think of Kamen Rider, but Captain Falcon's already a Kamen Rider. Maybe he could be a Heisei-style Rider to match Falcon's Showa Rider?

Zubz

Banned

Honestly, I can see this being true for Roy; the biggest problem I see is that he'd be a 3rd Marth clone. Wolf's different enough from Fox & Falco, and has the added bonus of his series getting revived either this year or next, but between Lucina being in the game and, admittedly, there already being a Roy serving as a minor roadblock, they might not think it'll be worth it to see Prince Marth III. He isn't the biggest hitter in the Fire Emblem franchise, but that doesn't mean that people don't want him back.

Plus, I think we're underestimating the number of people that literally just want him because of Melee, FE6 be damned.

I want every character in this picture playable at some point.

Sweet mercy, the edge in this picture'd make Rob Liefeld wince. Seriously, Porky was the only one I immediately recognized, admittedly; I thought Wolf was Sabrewulf from KI for a second, and I needed to keep reading comments to figure out that the woman with the sword was Captain Syrup. Is that smudge in the bottom-left corner Mewtwo?

EDIT: And thanks to the abundance of dark purple, I just noticed Wart after looking at this picture, like, 4 times. I thought K. Rool was just having back-acne or something.

I do agree that it'd be nice if they all made it in. Granted, I'm fine without Porky because he'd need the mech, and even the spider mech'd be too big (Coming from a guy that still think Ridley has a chance), and with Hades being a thing now, Medusa'd just feel like the less-interesting Kid Icarus villain (I'm still bitter he doesn't crash any of the Divine Interventions on Palutena's Temple). Nevertheless, these guys (Especially Syrup and Wart) are in dire need of more love.

batfax

There was an official poll just for the DLC characters? I'd like to see that. Only ever heard of one about the main game's characters.

Azure J

Medusa'd just feel like the less-interesting Kid Icarus villain (I'm still bitter he doesn't crash any of the Divine Interventions on Palutena's Temple). Nevertheless, these guys (Especially Syrup and Wart) are in dire need of more love.

Funnily enough, I was hoping Medusa would get it for the long shot chance that they'd do her some proper justice in character versus making her feel like a has been. Literally every other character got the most awesome characterization or character upgrades in the case of legacy characters and then they play her straight.

It's like, why? :lol

I wonder what the most obscure character suggestion will end up being.
So. Let me ask. What's the most character suggestion you guys have seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom