• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Apparently /v/ says the reddit info is fake.

it's not 100% fake so we wouldn't know until E3 for sure (or someone check the logs)

I'm hoping the Ryu leak is real so that we get Ryu's trailer at E3 after they announce Nintendo vs. Capcom: Smashing Generation of Heroes.

if we are getting Ryu then we better get Nintendo Vs. Capcom announcement this E3. I will never forget that Ono teased Nintendo Vs. Capcom then he had to apologize for it afterward.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
The hype train has no brakes, does it?

All aboard!

If this is true, which I'm just being cautiously pessimistic until other dataminers can verify, that means Roy is coming back and RYU for Smash? Imagine Ryu vs. Little Mac. I just hope these two don't take away from Ballot character chances. At first I thought 2-3 was a given but it seems like we'll be lucky to get 1.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The hype train has no brakes, does it?

All aboard!

If this is true, which I'm just being cautiously pessimistic until other dataminers can verify, that means Roy is coming back and RYU for Smash? Imagine Ryu vs. Little Mac. I just hope these two don't take away from Ballot character chances. At first I thought 2-3 was a given but it seems like we'll be lucky to get 1.

when we concluded the ballot, and we will ended up getting Wolf only.

trutrutru

I think the ballots are really more for the next smash. Im guessing whatever the NX is, will likely launch with some remastered killer apps. Smash bros with the top ballot characters in for launch im guessing.

Maybe one or two make it to the wiiu. But i feel they really just want to give people a reason to buy it again as a launch title for the new system

Also, cant wait for Nintendo vs Capcom. I've been waiting many years for this

It will be awkward when this plays for Lucas...

When you see that high school friend in the street you can't remember the name of...

What cheap bastards. It's not like they have to hire a bunch of big name actors/actresses to do the voiceovers. Do they seriously expect me to believe that Palutena has no data on Mewtwo?

Christ calm down. Does it really matter? They might not be super expensive but they still have jobs/schedules. Plus who knows how many DLC characters they have planned?

Christ calm down. Does it really matter? They might not be super expensive but they still have jobs/schedules. Plus who knows how many DLC characters they have planned?

Yes. It cheapens the DLC. It makes the additional characters feel like afterthoughts. The lack of custom moves for Mewtwo doesn't help either.

I think my idea of 2 Melee Vets, 2 Brawl Vets and 2 New Comers will end up panning out.

That would be, in order of release
Mewtwo
Lucas
Ryu
Roy
Wolf
Poll Winner

Melee -> Brawl -> New Comer.

The timing lines up nicely, That would put Wolf at December or so, right around Star Fox U. That would leave the poll closing in October and ~4-5 months to build the character for release in mid-late winter 2016. Ryu would be a big announcement for E3.

I like this. I like this a lot. It fits beautifully and makes logical sense
Unlike their Character select screen

Mewtwo was today, right in the middle of April.
Lucas in June, I'm guessing right after Nintendo's E3 event, 2 months from this week.
Ryu revealed at E3, a newcomer worthy of being at such an event, with a release in August.
Roy will presumably follow in October, maybe timing in with SMTxFE details such as a release or announcement (same applies to Fire Emblem IF).
Around this time the Ballot closes and work will begin (or will have already begun depending on the way the dev team has been analysing the results)
Wolf in December to tie in the just released, Star Fox U.
Finally a rough trailer of some sort to announce the winner of the ballot in Spring with hopefully an early Summer 2016 release.

uUd8xI6.png

lewisgone

I finally got around to voting...

I ended up voting for Terra/Tina from FF VI....never gonna happen but it would be a cool throwback and reminder that Final Fantasy wasn't always a PlayStation thing. Seeing her in Dissidia made me think of it. Plus her esper form could be her final smash and that was just be awesome.

Also wanted to vote for Phoenix Wright and Pichu but decided she would be the coolest in the end.

batfax

If the Ryu thing pans out I want a Phantasy Star Online character for SEGA's second rep. No "too sexy" excuse like Bayonetta, and I think PSO is kind of relevant to Nintendo since it was basically the only thing you could do online with their broadband adapter. So many fun times on the Gamecube with that.

MagnesD3

So do people still think Wolf is going to be revealed at E3? Or do you think hope has gone down the toilet? Im in the sad sad latter camp.

L Thammy

Even if this is true, it's entirely possible that work began on this DLC before the ballot went up. Just like Lucas and Mewtwo. I'm not sure why this DLC not being ballot means that all later DLC won't be.

L Thammy

Cuz he's a vet with more requests than lucas and lucas got in. Also theres a brand new star fox game on the horizon.

Wolf has more requests than Lucas? When did that happen? The Melee poll? The Brawl poll that we didn't see the results off? The current poll, which Lucas was announced alongside the announcement of?

Wolf has more requests than Lucas? When did that happen? The Melee poll? The Brawl poll that we didn't see the results off? The current poll, which Lucas was announced alongside the announcement of?

Because I say so ...!

But yeah ... no clue. People keep saying things until they believe it.

Anyway I wish I could dl Mewtwo :'(
Why I gotta wait!?!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Here's another moveset idea I wrote up, this time for Kamek.

KqzMcck.png

I'd love to see Yoshi get another Rep. Before we got Bowser Jr., I always thought Baby Bowser as a lighter Bowser clone would be a cute, fun little character. Also Shy Guy, despite being a mook, would rock. But overall, perhaps the most relevant and interesting character in Yoshi is Kamek. Like Yoshi, he's a character where there's an individual, but also a larger species.

I thought it'd be cool if he could summon various Yoshi Island foes...not sure if that'd work too well in Smash 4 due to 3DS limitations, but who knows. This would be how I'd incorporate Shy Guy, as an Ice Climber-style grabbing partner Kamek could summon.

The Magikoopa Wizard, Kamek, caretaker of Bowser Jr. and perhaps Mario's first "true foe", finally rides into battle! And he's not alone! Kamek is a bit old---some say over 1000, even!---so rather than fighting on his own, he employs a variety of baddies to do his bidding. Mess with your opponent while dodging them is the key to Kamek's play-style! Hehehehehehe!
Kamek's strengths are his range...most of his attacks, including his normal attacks, are projectiles and have quite a long range. Furthermore, he has a lot of tools at his disposal, so he can be a bit unpredictable to go up against. There's really no character quite like him! He's also quite small, and can move around quickly, so he's hard to catch! His walking speed is deceptively slow, hobbling along, however has has a very quick dash, as he hops on his broom and zooms around. He also "teleports" when dodging.

On the downside, Kamek's moves often leave him vulnerable to close-range attacks, and he's pretty light and weak, so one good hit can spell the end for the good wizard. His attacks can hit pretty easily, but they aren't that strong, as he has few reliable killing moves. He really needs to play the field to his advantage to score a K.O. His recoveries are also a bit weak...he has three natural jumps, as he floats, but they don't get a lot of air, and he's quite slow and vulnerable in the air. His special recovery is a bit better to make up for it, but still leaves him even more vulnerable.

For his intro, Kamek flies into the stage on his broom, cackling as usual and waving his wand as the broom disappears. He's quite annoying, isn't he? When Kamek is critical, his glasses are cracked, and he sweats profusely.

Colors: Kamek's colors mirror the Shy Guy colors commonly seen, mainly, as his wardrobe changes colors, but his body stays the same. The Shy Guy used for his Grab also changes colors to match, except for Red and Blue, which are switched.
1. Blue 2. Green 3. Red 4. Yellow 5. Magenta 6. White 7. Black 8. Purple (resembles Kammy)

Neutral: Kamek's quickest, simplest attack, but also one of his weakest. He swipes his wand three times...blue, red, and yellow, in front of him, striking the foe with decent range. Otherwise it has zero knock-back, and not much use, since Kamek should stay away. But it's something in case he's stuck in a bind.

Forward Tilt: Kamek does a wide swipe with his wand, creating a small "magic stream". The initial wand hit does a slight bit of damage, as does the stream that follows, but it has basically no knock-back.

Up Tilt: Kamek lifts his arms up, summoning a small Podoboo to hop out of the ground slightly ahead into the air. It slightly burns the foe, and is a great move with good range, but has a bit of ending lag and Kamek can't act till the Podoboo reaches the apex of its jump and fades away.

Down Tilt: Kamek spins around on the ground with his wand outstretched, a fast move that knocks the opponent off their feet when it hits them, but causes very little damage.

Dash Attack: Kamek spins forward on his broom into the foe, and then falls off and lands on the ground. It's really fast, and is one of Kamek's stronger moves, but has a lot of ending lag as Kamek must pick himself up.

Neutral Aerial: Kamek spins around, a magical energy appearing around him, dealing multiple hits. Enemies hit by the tip of his hat take the most damage and receive the most knock-back, however.

Forward Aerial: Kamek summons a Fang which flies forward before disappearing, knocking into an enemy and buffering them back.

Back Aerial: Kamek summons a Fang once more, but this time flies behind him, and not as far, but is faster and with better knockback.

Up Aerial: Kamek pulls out his broomstick and swipes it through the air, twice, doing slight damage but it's fast and good reach.

Down Aerial: Kamek creates a magic block below him, which then slightly falls before breaking. Getting hit with the block will push an opponent downward, but if they're caught in the explosion, they will take damage and be knocked down to the ground. One of Kamek's best killing moves if set up right.

Grab: Kamek's grab is unique, as he summons a Shy Guy in-front of him who grabs the foe. If it misses, it stumbles, dealing 1% no flinch if it falls into someone, but there's a lot of lag if it misses. Shy Guy can pummel the foe by slapping them, and when grabbing a foe, Kamek can slowly creep forward or backward, which moves Shy Guy forward or backward as well.

Forward Throw: Spear Guy. Shy Guy pierces a spear forward, doing a fair amount of damage, but not a lot of knockback. The foe is sent straight forward.

Back Throw: Mace Guy. Shy Guy shoots out a chain, and spins the foe around before throwing them back. Not a lot of knockback or damage, but with enough skill can then hit them with Kamek if positioned right.

Up Throw: Fly Guy. Shy Guy spins a propeller on its head, hitting the foe multiple times, and then shoots them skyward. Once more, not a lot of knockback, but builds damage.

Down Throw: Stilt Guy. Shy Guy jumps on the foe with stilts, slamming them into the ground which causes them to then bounce off and fly upward. Decent damage, once more not a lot of knockback.

Forward Smash: Kamek charges up his wand, and fires a powerful magic blast---the wand whacking a foe will hurt a bit, but the main damage comes from the magic blast! It travels a fair distance straight forward, and does a decent amount of damage, as well as cause a burn, but doesn't have good knock-back. Still, it's a reliable way to build up %.

Up Smash: Kamek lifts his wand up after charging, up creates a "vortex" of magic. It slightly draw in foes, and whips them around, building up % and then freezing them, knocking them slightly into the air. It's quite powerful, but has slow start-up time and ending lag, so Kamek is vulnerable afterwards.

Down Smash: Kamek crosses his arms and charges up, creating two illusionary clones that quickly shoot out from both sides. The clones will slightly damage anyone who runs into them, but the greatest damage is caused when the clone "slides" into a foe. This move has a bit of lag, but has good range, and decent knock-back.

Neutral Special: Milde. Kamek summons a Milde a few spaces in-front of him...depending on how long B is charge, the distance it's summoned changes. Milde acts as a minor annoyance, as it will absorb any hit...and split into two smaller Mildes, which can also take a hit! Use it to put room between Kamek and his foe, especially projectile users! Kamek cannot summon another Milde until all the Mildes are gone.

Side Special: Toady. Kamek summons a Toady which flies out of his wand. You can slightly adjust the trajectory of Toady, and by smashing the stick, it flies slightly faster, but disappears quicker. If Toady grabs a foe before they strike it with a powerful enough hit, it'll lift them into the air---the more % a foe has, the harder for them to escape, although it won't take them above the blast line or above the screen border. Kamek has a bit of lag after summoning it, but can follow up the Toady for a combo. If Toady is used too much, its grabbing power greatly weakens.

Up Special: Burt. Kamek summons a Bouncing Burt below him, and springs off its head! This gives him great air, and Kamek isn't helpless either...although he can't use Bouncing Burt till he touches the ground. When used on the ground, Kamek gets the most height. Burt will then bounce once, and "die", although anyone hit by him as he falls will be hurt, and it has decent K.O., but it's hard to hit foes with it. Foes can also jump on Burt to get the same height! When used in the air, Kamek gets less height, and Burt falls to ground, dying when he hits the ground, but meteor smashing anyone he hits from above. It's not a powerful attack, but it's Kamek's few K.O. potential moves. Kamek can't summon a Bouncing Burt till a few seconds after the previous one dies.

Down Special: Plant. Kamek's oddest move. Down Special has him plant a Nipper Spore...charging up increases the distance where it's planted...on the ground. A Nipper Plant will soon sprout, and anyone who touches it will slightly flinch, and take a small amount of damage. After awhile, it'll grow into a larger Pirahna Plant, which has more range, and causes more damage, but little knockback. The Pirahna Plant will eventually wither, but the process can be sped up by hitting it with projectiles. Kamek cannot plant a new Nipper till a few seconds after the last one died. By the way---Kamek isn't invulnerable, his own plants will hurt him! But you can use it to make an area off-limits for a limited time, and limit the foe! By the way, if you try to plant the seed too close to an edge, it will automatically move a bit to the middle to prevent creating an edgehazard for balance.

Final Smash: Magikoopa Magic. Kamek laughs, and flies across the stage, spreading magical dust that causes everyone to grow. This causes Kamek to grow as if he had a Super Mushroom, as will his teammates, while all foes will be shrunk as if they had a Poison Mushroom. This gives him a great advantage over everyone! His summons grows alongside him, by the way! Everyone has a glow when this is in effect, and additional size-changing items will not effect them, although it'll stack in a Giant/Tiny
Match.

Toxi

Banned
Urgh, Shovel Knight. I'd argue that even Banjo has a higher chance due to the fact that he has Japanese presence. And this is coming from a guy who placed Shovel Knight at #2 on my favorite games of 2014 list. He's appeared in one game. One game. Yeah, you could say the same for Ness and Shulk, but they're not third party characters. Sakurai has made it clear that he's very selective regarding "guest" characters. Why do people want to turn Smash Bros. into Mugen?
Because Shovel Knight is amazing.

Zubz

Banned
I'm surprised they don't at least use codenames for DLC stuff.

Ditto; the entire PSASBR roster leaked with the first demo, despite there being, like, 4-6 characters left to be unveiled, and the demo only using 4 characters to begin with. I dunno, it ruined my surprise with Sir Dan there, and'll probably ruin the surprise for Ryu here. A codename'd've been nice to hide everything, but admittedly, with the music still there, we all would've caught on that it's Ryu, anyway.

PSqueak

Banned
Crossover games live on the hype of rosters, there is absolutely no reason for them to hide them, well, except for Sakurai's tantrum about surprises, but in the case of PSABR, i bet it was intentional.

SmithnCo

Crossover games live on the hype of rosters, there is absolutely no reason for them to hide them, well, except for Sakurai's tantrum about surprises, but in the case of PSABR, i bet it was intentional.

Maybe for them to mentally prepare everyone for that roster..... lol

An entire minigame in GTA San Andreas wasn't discovered until almost a year after launch.

Two obscure sound files in Smash Bros. are discovered within a day by two different sources.

Smash fans are like piranhas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom