• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Roy and Ryu are probably going to monopolize the conversation right now, but I've been looking into Mach Rider. Kind of wishing that I had voted for him.

First off. Like Duck Hunt, Mach Rider is inspired by toys that Nintendo sold before they went into video games. It's actually a bit older: the Mach Rider toy is from 1972, whereas the Duck Hunt toy is from 1976. This is a looser connection, though, because the character rides a motorcycle instead of a car. The toy was also a licensed product rather than an original Nintendo creation.

You know how the original Metroid famously hid the fact that Samus is a woman until the end of the game? The arcade version of Mach Rider did it first! Or maybe it didn't. The arcade game lets you gradually unlock the picture on the right, but it doesn't actually explain who it is. But the interpretation that it's Mach Rider is pretty common.

It's also one of Nintendo's few explicitly post-apocalyptic games, which is pretty cool in itself. It doesn't really show up in gameplay, but the in-game plot blurbs mention that you're looking for survivors after alien attacks. Imagine how a modern day remake could be like!

And he seems to be one of Sakurai's favourite characters, so he might have some good ideas for him buried in a drawer somewhere. I'm wondering if his Melee trophy - which looks almost nothing like the original character - was meant to be a modernization. Like how Brawl's Pit was supposed to look like the character had naturally evolved over 20 years.

I'd actually really like to see an interpretation of Mach Rider in the series - though the Melee design is awful in comparison to the original, and I'd hope an updated version of the character would use something less bland. Looking at how Pit's bow was altered in Brawl and the unique structure chosen for Duck Hunt Duo, it'd be interesting to see how they incorporated the bike into the moveset as well - perhaps it could be fully or partially summoned for certain moves in a similar manner to Tron's lightcycles? In any case, the aesthetic and focus of the series would provide something really different from Nintendo's current output if it was chosen for a revival, it'd benefit from a stylised take on pulpy, retro sci-fi schlock.

And in regards to their sex, I always assumed the NES version was male and the arcade was female - though if the F-Zero cameo is any indication, if they're the same character, it'd likely be a woman. Gender alts, as with Robin, would be the best method to integrate their differing depictions, even if it might be a good idea to look more to F-Zero's Megan design rather than the character's arcade outfit for inspiration...

Sponge

Banned
Although I'm also fully expecting Wolf and Dixie down the road so I'll be disappointed if they don't make the cut, too.

I'm a tad worried about Dixie because of all the votes for K. Rool. I wouldn't mind either character getting in. It's just concerning because she may get looked over for some other character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well we can probably assume its gonna be a while before we see non-veteran results of the ballot, since they're busy with Ryu and Roy.
Plus everyone's busy losing as Mewtwostocked.

If they included Wolf before the ballot then I would say bring on anyone! Wolf, Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy coming back would be great

EulaCapra

I'm a tad worried about Dixie because of all the votes for K. Rool. I wouldn't mind either character getting in. It's just concerning because she may get looked over for some other character.
Exactly this. In a perfect world, they'll both get in at the same time. But I much rather have Dixie first since she's long overdue while toiling away in Donkey Kong and Mario games throughout the years. Plus, it's better for franchises that do have prominent female characters to start calling on them sooner rather than making it a prolonged sausage fest.

this would make a nice roster

oXPJU7g.jpg

Roster needs Hoopa

The thing I'm looking forward too the most about Roy?

An Awkward Zombie comic about him finally getting his job back.

"Roy you're hired!"

"What... Really? REALLY!? I'VE WAITED FOR SO MANY YEARS I-"

"Don't mention it, we're always looking for newcomers!"

*Roy opens his mouth as if he's about to object, but then thinks better of it*

Javier

The thing I'm looking forward too the most about Roy?

An Awkward Zombie comic about him finally getting his job back.
I fully expect that in Awkward Zombie, Smash4 DLC Roy is going to be a different character from Melee Roy. Sort of how Melee Link and Brawl Link are also different characters.

I fully expect that in Awkward Zombie, Smash4 DLC Roy is going to be a different character from Melee Roy. Sort of how Melee Link and Brawl Link are also different characters.
Melee and Brawl Link literally are different characters story-wise though, as are Young Link and Toon Link, reincarnation stuff aside. She didn't do that with any other character who made the jump from Melee to Brawl or Brawl to 'For'.

I was thinking about who the most well known characters are that are missing from the roster right now and the ones that came to mind were:

Toad, Daisy, Waluigi etc. The 'secondary' Mario characters.
Paper Mario
Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Meowth, Mew, and the list goes on and on. Of course there's a limit to how many Pokemon can fit in the roster, and they have a respectable number as is.
Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong and K Rool
Isabelle and Tom Nook
Ganon, Toon Zelda, Toon Ganondorf, Tetra
Ridley

Rhythm Heaven as a whole is also quite deserving, more so than Golden Sun, Chibi Robo etc I feel. The issue is that it's missing a main/star character.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I guess that's the weird thing about Metroid. No other character even comes close to having the chops to be up on the Smash roster save Ridley, and yet we all know why he isn't here, even if some of us still cling to hope. Not to mention, the Metroid series isn't really known for pumping out awesome secondary characters...only Samus herself and Ridley by extension (though this could be attributed to his underdog Smash status) are known beyond the confines of Metroid's hardcore fans.

Rundas maybe? There's Dark Samus, but we already have two versions of Samus already. And I'd rather Other M be forgotten about, as do many others. Unless another Metroid game comes out with a breakout dark horse character, or redesigns Ridley to be a more suitable fighter, Samus will likely represent her series alone (and with her suit-less incarnation) for good.

I always wished there was a prominent chozo character.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think the best chance Metroid has is a generic space pirate, and that would open the floodgates for random mooks like Koopa Troopa. Terrifying.

Dark Samus is Metroid's only hope for a new comer and will be for awhile because no other character will have enough time to be as established as she is by the time Smash 5 rolls around.

Had Other M not been the game it was, I think Adam might have had a chance too. But after that game happened, any chance he had was flushed down the toilet.

Sakujou

Banned
please i dont want to see dlc in smash bros. this hurts the game, as i feel.

link in mario kart driving the blue falcon feels so off :(

please dont bring any stupid character from another game into smash as dlc. it would cost tons of money and i know nintendo wouldnt mind to milk all people out there not caring but still pouring money for these things.

Golnei

I think the best chance Metroid has is a generic space pirate, and that would open the floodgates for random mooks like Koopa Troopa. Terrifying.

If we're considering generic enemies, a Metroid itself would probably be the better choice. Though it's difficult to come up with a moveset that uses the 'evolution' concept without resorting to the Pokemon Trainer method of swapping between multiple full characters. The Metroid evolutionary stages are distinct enough that they wouldn't be able to share the same skeleton and hitboxes, and a moveset that didn't utilise the iconic larval form of the creature in some way couldn't exist. The process could be circumvented by using the simpler Phazon Metroid lifecycle of larva -> hatcher -> Prime, but it'd still require much more work than a standard character, would be a poor representation of the series as a whole, and would be incredibly difficult to balance.

...I guess there's a reason Metroid doesn't have that many characters.

On the other hand, a Pigmask mook would be an hilarious, if jarring, addition to Smash.

That would actually be a perfect Mii costume, the proportions would work really well. I'll probably feel a sense of crushing emptiness for the rest of my life knowing that it'll never happen...

L Thammy

On the Melee poll, the only Metroid character that appears is a Metroid.
It got more votes than Bulbasaur, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Pit, Sonic, and Mega Man.

Fandangox

That would actually be a perfect Mii costume, the proportions would work really well. I'll probably feel a sense of crushing emptiness for the rest of my life knowing that it'll never happen...

Oh man that's true, I am in as long as they give the costumes the pig noises from the game.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
please i dont want to see dlc in smash bros. this hurts the game, as i feel.

link in mario kart driving the blue falcon feels so off :(

please dont bring any stupid character from another game into smash as dlc. it would cost tons of money and i know nintendo wouldnt mind to milk all people out there not caring but still pouring money for these things.

You leave my Blue Falcon alone. I guess you dislike the Mute City stage too?

Us F-Zero fans have nothing short of Blue Falcon on Mute City on 200cc in Mario Kart 8.

Please, let us have this.

It's all we'll get.

Illucio

Banned
I was thinking about who the most well known characters are that are missing from the roster right now and the ones that came to mind were:

Paper Mario
Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Meowth, Mew, and the list goes on and on. Of course there's a limit to how many Pokemon can fit in the roster, and they have a respectable number as is.
Isabelle and Tom Nook
Ridley

Rhythm Heaven as a whole is also quite deserving, more so than Golden Sun, Chibi Robo etc I feel. The issue is that it's missing a main/star character.

Toad is actually a easily recognizable character he just never had a proper game series until Captain Toad. Waluigi has always been a wacky/weird secondary character but he's an assist trophy so he's a no go for a character spot. (I would love if he did get put in Smash 5 and he represents all the Mario sport games, party games, and dance game.) Not to mention Daisy as well but she's just an alt for Peach.

Dixie Kong isn't as big as Cranky who is actually the first Donkey Kong, but people don't know that those two Donkey Kong's are different and that the Donkey Kong from the game is now Cranky. K Rool is constantly the villain for most Donkey Kong games so he is Donkey's Bowser, and he is still likely to be put in the game.

I don't think we will be getting anymore Pokemon Reps, but we seem to get a new one each Smash game. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Gen 7 Pokemon rep.

Isabelle is an assist, and Tom Nook and his kids are part of Villager's final smash. But Nook is very iconic character int he series, so if anyone gets in from Animal Crossing it would definitely be Nook.

Ganon is Ganondorf, and his beast form is his Final Smash. Tetra is a good candidate to have a Toon version of Zelda in the game. But the better additions would be Ghiriham, Demise, Tingle, or Impa. I'm more on the Impa side especially if we got her Hyrule Warriors incarnation as a rep.

Ridley. Everyone wants him. Despite Sakurai says he would work, as I said a million times before just make his size his downfall and advantage. You have Little Mac with a huge disadvantage but he is a huge power house on his own. And then if we want to get on the ridiculous side of things, Mother Brain could work as a fighter. Just look at her Assist she is just a giant brain in a moving Tube that shoots lasers and the likes. She could easily be put in as a fighter, a ridiculous one at that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I guess the leak (rumor) of Ryu and Roy really hurt the ballot and dlc hype, did it?
That and if people are voting once then chances are they've already voted by now and we have to wait till October (at the earliest) for the votes to be revealed.

Roy and Ryu are at least something substantial to speculate about since guessing the results of a poll, especially for one that doesn't even mean the most popular will be a character, can only go so far.

Pizza

I'm worried that the poll won't give me Wonder Red :(

But tbh lately I've been wanting language options more than anything. I prefer the Japanese voices

Paper Mario
Isabelle and Tom Nook
Ridley

I think Wario Ware has a deep pool of characters, the problem is how do you pick between Jimmy T vs Mona vs Ashley vs etc. The posts on Miiverse after Ashley was revealed as an assist trophy show that there IS a demand for another Wario Ware character.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think Wario Ware has a deep pool of characters, the problem is how do you pick between Jimmy T vs Mona vs Ashley vs etc. The posts on Miiverse after Ashley was revealed as an assist trophy show that there IS a demand for another Wario Ware character.
Jimmy T because Smash needs more disco.

Talking of Wario Ware, Smash needs more music full stop.

And since Gamer is meant to be a quiet setting, perhaps they should have included a reference to the game Wario Ware is a spiritual successor to.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Jimmy T because Smash needs more disco.

Talking of Wario Ware, Smash needs more music full stop.

And since Gamer is meant to be a quiet setting, perhaps they should have included a reference to the game Wario Ware is a spiritual successor to.

MEMORIES!

God, I remember going over to my cousin's house when I was like...very young, can't remember the age, but way under 10. I didn't know what game he was playing on the SNES but there I found myself painting this here picture:

ss_mpaint.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People spend so much time thinking of moves for their proposed characters, but they forget what's really important, the costume colours. No point including a character if you can't think up seven more outfits for them. So I have taken the time to answer just that for the people's favourite choice:

gg61zE5.png

And ryu/roy dlc thread got locked. Yikes! Sakurai save us all!

I cannot believe how that derailed at the end. lol

Let's change the subject: what are the chances of Sakurai and co. "Luigifying" Roy? I don't really care for the character, but I'd accept him best that way.

And in the end...well, the more the merrier.

Let's change the subject: what are the chances of Sakurai and co. "Luigifying" Roy? I don't really care for the character, but I'd accept him best that way.

Thats the only way I see him coming back honestly.

Oh dear God.....THE HORROR BATTY! THE HORROR!!!

I know! D':

He'd already get his neutral B as his own move, that's the start. I would love to see more changes to his moves, it'd honestly make things a lot better with the Lucina situation.

So Dreamland 64 is in rotation for Kirby characters in classic mode (3DS) now

Wait what

Yea, so it glitches and loads Battlefield instead, as it's the fallback stage in case of an error.

gj removing dev code guys. A+. 10/10 would ship patches again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom