• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
For this thread
kePePdy.png

I take it back.

Hype.

Glorious hype.

Smash fans are like piranhas

I'm not even ashamed.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
After giving it some thought, I wonder, if this is all true and Roy and Ryu(!) are getting in regardless of the ballot because they were obviously planned prior to the ballots release (casting aside the absurd notion that Roy and Ryu were "chosen" as the ballot contenders). The more I think about it the more I like the idea. We're likely going to get a lot more DLC than we originally thought! There's no limit on who they can add. It's not like they're going to run out of Nintendo characters to add, let alone third parties, for the next Smash game. If they do another Smash game that is, which is likely because $$$.

As long as we still get 1-2 Ballot characters, I'll be fine. Ecstatic if we get 3 or even 4.

Neoxon

Like I said before, I can understand the lack of a Palutena's Guidance given the voice actors that they'd need to call back into the studio, but the lack of custom moves isn't forgivable at the slightest. They took 6 months to make Mewtwo & have very little to show for it. Granted, Mewtwo himself is fun, but as you guys said, his implementation is very barebones. At the very least, the addition of custom moves would alleviate some of that.

Although I got Mewtwo for free, I may not feel justified in my DLC purchases if they don't fix the lack of customs for Mewtwo soon & make sure this isn't an issue for the other characters. I have to buy them all because I run Smash 4 tournaments, but in any other scenario I couldn't see myself buying any DLC characters knowing this, especially at the price they're asking ($4 for 1 version, $5 for both). It's a shame, especially considering that Mario Kart 8 & Hyrule Warriors are hitting it out of the park with their DLC, but I guess this is to be expected since Sakurai isn't a big fan of DLC in the first place. It wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai was forced into doing DLC characters & is getting away with the bare minimum.
Of course, if I wasn't running tournaments & we got Wonder Red &/or the Chorus Kids, then my hands would be tied.

Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. Granted, Sakurai could very well add custom moves on the 28th when everyone else gets Mewtwo, but we don't know right now.

Like I said before, I can understand the lack of a Palutena's Guidance given the voice actors that they'd need to call back into the studio, but the lack of custom moves isn't forgivable at the slightest. They took 6 months to make Mewtwo & have very little to show for it. Granted, Mewtwo himself is fun, but as you guys said, his implementation is very barebones. At the very least, the addition of custom moves would alleviate some of that.

Although I got Mewtwo for free, I may not feel justified in my DLC purchases if they don't fix the lack of customs for Mewtwo soon & make sure this isn't an issue for the other characters. I have to buy them all because I run Smash 4 tournaments, but in any other scenario I couldn't see myself buying any DLC characters knowing this, especially at the price they're asking ($4 for 1 version, $5 for both). It's a shame, especially considering that Mario Kart 8 & Hyrule Warriors are hitting it out of the park with their DLC, but I guess this is to be expected since Sakurai isn't a big fan of DLC in the first place. It wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai was forced into doing DLC characters & is getting away with the bare minimum.
Of course, if I wasn't running tournaments & we got Wonder Red &/or the Chorus Kids, then my hands would be tied.

Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. Granted, Sakurai could very well add custom moves on the 28th when everyone else gets Mewtwo, but we don't know right now.

I forgot custom moves existed tbh.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Custom moves have become a big deal in the tournament scene since their legalization. But given the current situation with Mewtwo, custom moves may be in danger of being banned again.
The community is rallying behind custom moves, so I doubt this will happen. At worst we will just have DLC characters with less options, and will likely never be used in actual tournaments. Which would be great for TOs, since now they don't have to ensure they have setups with DLC characters all over the place.

I hope this was just them failing to meet the deadline and that Mewtwo gets customs added in the next patch.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
So we know for sure Mewtwo has no customs, rather than no one unlocking them yet? Still though, Mewtwo.

*instead of playing around with Mewtwo more, goes to play Animal Crossing New Leaf which he recently got for free, even if he didn't really care for it at first, it's strangely addicting*

Maybe Mewtwo's moves are being saved for when everyone can buy him.

After giving it some thought, I wonder, if this is all true and Roy and Ryu(!) are getting in regardless of the ballot because they were obviously planned prior to the ballots release (casting aside the absurd notion that Roy and Ryu were "chosen" as the ballot contenders). The more I think about it the more I like the idea. We're likely going to get a lot more DLC than we originally thought! There's no limit on who they can add.

You can look at it that way ...

Or you can assume Nintendo never expected people to datamine this out and may very well be planing on saying "Surprise! Your Boy Roy and Ryu stood out as excellent characters on the ballot!".

There's no transparency with this ballot and they never said that they would pick the most spammed OR that they would wait for the time it closes to make choices from the request ... so at the end of the day you can't know who was a "ballot pick" and who wasn't.

The Ballot stays open for the better part of a year so IMO they're trying to gauge reactions to characters like Inklings or new reveals at E3 for not just DLC but also the new Sma5h.

NeonZ

You can look at it that way ...

Or you can assume Nintendo never expected people to datamine this out and may very well be planing on saying "Surprise! Your Boy Roy and Ryu stood out as excellent characters on the ballot!".

That would mean they'll only be announced by October though. I'm pretty sure Ryu is going to be revealed in their E3 conference...

So we know for sure Mewtwo has no customs, rather than no one unlocking them yet? Still though, Mewtwo.

*instead of playing around with Mewtwo more, goes to play Animal Crossing New Leaf which he recently got for free, even if he didn't really care for it at first, it's strangely addicting*

They specifically added a new message to the custom screen to mention he lacks any customs at all.

JCX

Crossover games live on the hype of rosters, there is absolutely no reason for them to hide them, well, except for Sakurai's tantrum about surprises, but in the case of PSABR, i bet it was intentional.

Part of the hype for me is the character reveal. Seeing Snake pop out of a box at the end of a trailer is much more exciting than reading about datamining reports on reddit.

That would mean they'll only be announced by October though. I'm pretty sure Ryu is going to be revealed in their E3 conference...

Why did you cut off the part where I address that?

""There's no transparency with this ballot and they never said that they would pick the most spammed OR that they would wait for the time it closes to make choices from the request ... so at the end of the day you can't know who was a "ballot pick" and who wasn't."

When did they say that they would only pick from the ballot after it's closed? I guess they said that at the same time they said "only 1 character for a 3rd party". People would do well to stop making up "rules".

Puruzi

Banned
If Ryu is actually going to be in the game, expect to see him at EVO. That's the only acceptable place for him to be revealed.

Ryce

If Ryu is actually going to be in the game, expect to see him at EVO. That's the only acceptable place for him to be revealed.
E3 makes a lot more sense, following Mega Man at E3 2013 and Pac-Man at E3 2014. Sakurai is responsible for the reveal schedule, and I doubt he cares much about Evo.

An entire minigame in GTA San Andreas wasn't discovered until almost a year after launch.

Two obscure sound files in Smash Bros. are discovered within a day by two different sources.

Smash fans are like piranhas.

To be honest browsing through filesystem is something I did in primary school (though on old PC games, not encrypted console stuff). Minigame is usually not immediately "visible" based on files.

The best way to reveal Ryu would be at an after E3 closed doors, no cameras allowed press event and then quietly release information to the public the next morning. Make sure it's after a massive, widely advertised tournament watched by millions, for extra effect.

What a better way to announce a huge, important, third party character is there?

Puruzi

Banned
E3 makes a lot more sense, following Mega Man at E3 2013 and Pac-Man at E3 2014. Sakurai is responsible for the reveal schedule, and I doubt he cares much about Evo.
E3 actually does not make more sense. EVO is the biggest fighting game event. Street Fighter is the most popular fighting game and smash is huge there.

An entire minigame in GTA San Andreas wasn't discovered until almost a year after launch.

Two obscure sound files in Smash Bros. are discovered within a day by two different sources.

Smash fans are like piranhas.

Well, if you want to go that route, we didn't figure out that you could play as Master Hand in Melee years after Melee was released.

Fandangox

The best way to reveal Ryu would be at an after E3 closed doors, no cameras allowed press event and then quietly release information to the public the next morning. Make sure it's after a massive, widely advertised tournament watched by millions, for extra effect.

What a better way to announce a huge, important, third party character is there?

R9lfpWd.gif

Hatchtag

Banned
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/71643594

I agree with this. Normally I wouldn't bother linking to GameFAQs, but Snakey is a member of this forum as well.

I think one of the weirder things about Roy is that while he's just as easy to develop as Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit, he's going to be a lot harder to balance. Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit's changes are almost exclusively to move properties, with minimal changes to character movement. Roy's, however, include changes his physics quiet a bit. He's really floaty in comparison. Thus, he's probably gonna take longer to balance than the previous clones, and they might spend a little more time decloning him because of it.

Or maybe I'm wrong and he'll just get fire attacks instead of floaty physics or they won't balance him at all or something. I donno.

Also, I don't see Ryu as neccessarily being good for K. Rool fans but definitely being good for fans of most everyone else. It shows that Sakurai isn't going to just take the top-ranking characters from the polls and that he's still going to do his own thing and put in who he feels like. So characters that aren't topping the polls still have a shot.

batfax

Also, I don't see Ryu as neccessarily being good for K. Rool fans but definitely being good for fans of most everyone else. It shows that Sakurai isn't going to just take the top-ranking characters from the polls and that he's still going to do his own thing and put in who he feels like. So characters that aren't topping the polls still have a shot.

I've honestly been hoping that this was the case and that people just spamming votes would probably be wasting their time. With each character taken at more face value (along with just overall popularity) it feels like there's a better chance for unexpected characters and variety.

Except development on Ryu obviously started before they announced the ballot, so I fail to see how his presence suddenly signifies that the whole thing is a sham and Sakurai is going to surprise us all by adding Birdo instead of more popular alternatives. Ultimately DLC has to sell, and "shock" characters aren't going to cut it. Could you imagine how poorly Wii Fit Trainer would have sold? I don't think the winner of the ballot is guaranteed to be playable (especially if somebody like Goku wins, god forbid), but it's a good way of gauging to see who people would buy.

Hatchtag

Banned
Except development on Ryu obviously started before they announced the ballot, so I fail to see how his presence suddenly signifies that the whole thing is a sham and Sakurai is going to surprise us all by adding Birdo instead of more popular alternatives. Ultimately DLC has to sell, and "shock" characters aren't going to cut it. Could you imagine how poorly Wii Fit Trainer would have sold? I don't think the winner of the ballot is guaranteed to be playable (especially if somebody like Goku wins, god forbid), but it's a good way of gauging to see who people would buy.

I'm not saying the whole thing is a sham, I'm just saying that Sakurai's not going to put in solely the top winners of a poll. It'll be a mix, like Smash 4 was. So characters not winning the poll still have a decent shot of getting in.

Yeah but there's no way in hell Sakurai signed anything to say "We must make the Top 3 characters in the poll playable, no matter who they are". He'll still be judgemental is what I think the guy you replied to was trying to say. If he doesnt think he'll fit into Smash, he won't be in.

Else we'd probably have Goku, Lonk, and Shrek coming soon.

... We wouldn't know about Ryu until he was revealed which we all assume would be sometime around E3 or later this year. Sakurai could legit say that they started making him after the first week's results seeing as I take it that's no real "data" in there other then songs and a empty folder. That's the thing people seem to be forgetting or over-looking ... there's no visibility here so there's no way of telling who really got wut amount of entrees.

People also seem to be under the notion that he's gonna just have to do the most voted. He's gonna pick and choose who he wants and likes from the ballots.

georly

http://www.fe25thevent.com/event/event2.html

Masahiro Sakurai will be a presenter on the Fire Emblem concert

Would be a decent place to reveal him. Sakurai is a huge fire emblem fanboy afterall (which makes it less surprising that roy would be next dlc).

It seems like a Roy announcement would take away from the Fire Emblem event.

That's true, too. Not to mention no other chars have been announced anywhere outside of a direct or E3 thing, right?

It seems like a Roy announcement would take away from the Fire Emblem event

It wouldn't be a celebration of Fire Emblem anymore, it would just be a Smash event.

I expect more that Roy will be announced earlier, and they'll do a version of Together We Ride (probably the most well know FE song in Smash) at the concert and while that's playing, show a video that shows the Fire Emblem series as it's been represented in Smash over the three games it's in, including Roy footage at the Smash 4 part.

Tyeforce

I noticed something interesting about the Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros., and Roy's inclusion actually rounds out the Fire Emblem representation quite well (in terms of franchise history, not exactly diversity, lol).

I'm sure it's probably coincidental, but with Roy's inclusion, you could say that there's representation for every generation of Fire Emblem, by system. More specifically, each Fire Emblem character is Smash Bros. is from the first iteration of Fire Emblem for a new system.

Marth covers the NES representation, and also SNES and DS, since the remake of his game kicked off Fire Emblem for both of those systems, too. Roy's next coming from the first GBA game, and Ike is from the only GameCube and Wii games. Finally, Robin (and Lucina) is from the first 3DS installment.

So yeah, it probably doesn't mean anything and is entirely coincidental, but I thought it was cool how it works out like that.

L Thammy

Roy and Ryu are probably going to monopolize the conversation right now, but I've been looking into Mach Rider. Kind of wishing that I had voted for him.

First off. Like Duck Hunt, Mach Rider is inspired by toys that Nintendo sold before they went into video games. It's actually a bit older: the Mach Rider toy is from 1972, whereas the Duck Hunt toy is from 1976. This is a looser connection, though, because the character rides a motorcycle instead of a car. The toy was also a licensed product rather than an original Nintendo creation.

You know how the original Metroid famously hid the fact that Samus is a woman until the end of the game? The arcade version of Mach Rider did it first! Or maybe it didn't. The arcade game lets you gradually unlock the picture on the right, but it doesn't actually explain who it is. But the interpretation that it's Mach Rider is pretty common.

It's also one of Nintendo's few explicitly post-apocalyptic games, which is pretty cool in itself. It doesn't really show up in gameplay, but the in-game plot blurbs mention that you're looking for survivors after alien attacks. Imagine how a modern day remake could be like!

And he seems to be one of Sakurai's favourite characters, so he might have some good ideas for him buried in a drawer somewhere. I'm wondering if his Melee trophy - which looks almost nothing like the original character - was meant to be a modernization. Like how Brawl's Pit was supposed to look like the character had naturally evolved over 20 years.

Sakurai said:
Character You’d Like in Smash 2: Mach Rider
Reason: His name is the best. Mach. Haha
Sakurai said:
It’s difficult to include characters that are loved as there is a generation gap. But because of that, I enjoy talking about “If there was a Smash 2 what characters would you like to see?”. My generation turns to either “Mach Rider” or “Mystery of Murasame Castle” (I’m old.)

I think the issue is a lot of people are (wrongly) taking it as a sign the ballot is just a formality and the character DLC has already been planned out long in advance. To me it just clears a vet out of the way (and I'm still holding out hope Wolf is already a done deal and is tieing into Star Fox U) and leaves more room for the newcomers I want.

RomanceDawn

Roy and Ryu are probably going to monopolize the conversation right now, but I've been looking into Mach Rider. Kind of wishing that I had voted for him.

First off. Like Duck Hunt, Mach Rider is inspired by toys that Nintendo sold before they went into video games. It's actually a bit older: the Mach Rider toy is from 1972, whereas the Duck Hunt toy is from 1976. This is a looser connection, though, because the character rides a motorcycle instead of a car. The toy was also a licensed product rather than an original Nintendo creation.

You know how the original Metroid famously hid the fact that Samus is a woman until the end of the game? The arcade version of Mach Rider did it first! Or maybe it didn't. The arcade game lets you gradually unlock the picture on the right, but it doesn't actually explain who it is. But the interpretation that it's Mach Rider is pretty common.

It's also one of Nintendo's few explicitly post-apocalyptic games, which is pretty cool in itself. It doesn't really show up in gameplay, but the in-game plot blurbs mention that you're looking for survivors after alien attacks. Imagine how a modern day remake could be like!

And he seems to be one of Sakurai's favourite characters, so he might have some good ideas for him buried in a drawer somewhere. I'm wondering if his Melee trophy - which looks almost nothing like the original character - was meant to be a modernization. Like how Brawl's Pit was supposed to look like the character had naturally evolved over 20 years.

Never once cared for the character until now. You've convinced me that I want him or her in Smash and a brand new game for the series!

The Ryu and Roy stuff getting revealed doesn't concern me one bit regarding the ballot. They must have been working on these guys for a little while now and what ever is going on with them probably won't change with any ballot. I am super duper surprised Dixie Kong wasn't revealed though, I thought for sure if they found anything her name would be attached to it. Her or the Chorus Kids.

All I know is that for the past week I've been thinking nonstop about the possibility of DLC for utilizing music from your SD card for stages and I'll be sorely disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Although I'm also fully expecting Wolf and Dixie down the road so I'll be disappointed if they don't make the cut, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom