• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Anyway, worst-case scenario, there's only room for 1 ballot character. Better make your votes count & rally up support for your character.

As for me, my avatar is doing the work for me.

The six "planned" characters probably having nothing to do with the ballot. I'd like the final DLC roster to look something like this:

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Wolf
Ryu
Chorus Kids/Inkling

+

King K. Rool
Isaac
Wonder Red

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I hope further collabs with Bandai-Namco won't be in jeopardy for future Smash titles after this incident. They did a great job with the game and got it out on time.

Edit: Holy shit that Roy/Ryu thread ending...

Did they remove the thread? I'm having trouble finding it. What happened?

Yeah I have a hard time picturing a scenario where the smash ballot dlc character/s are included in these 6 dlc characters. After all the Smash Ballot won't close until October and said character probably won't be ready until Spring 2016.

We need tournament-legal stages more. We need Dream Land 64 on the Wii U, we need Fountain of Dreams, we need Pokémon Stadium 1, & we need Yoshi's Story.

What we need are fun stages, not variants of Battlefield over and over again. Stages like Silph Co or Pokefloats or Pirate Ship

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
The six "planned" characters probably having nothing to do with the ballot. I'd like the final DLC roster to look something like this:

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Wolf
Ryu
Chorus Kids/Inkling

+

King K. Rool
Isaac
Wonder Red

Seems like best case scenario right here. We'd all be in dream land. Even more so if Dreamland 64 comes back! I have a feeling Wolf and Chorus Kids are going to be the last two "Pre-Ballot" characters. I have a hunch that Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Wolf were all considered but couldn't make the roster in time, same with Chorus Kids which we know of from Gematsu. Ryu though is a curve ball I never saw coming. But I hope you're right, these 6 (including Mewtwo and Lucas) pre-ballot characters and 1-3 ballot winners.

What we need are fun stages, not variants of Battlefield over and over again. Stages like Silph Co or Pokefloats or Pirate Ship

To be fair, I mainly want Fountain of Dreams back because I thought it was a beautiful stage with beautiful music. Imagine that stage in glorious HD on the Wii U.

Neoxon

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Wolf
Ryu
Chorus Kids

+

King K. Rool
Inkling
Wonder Red
FTFY

If we do get the Inklings, it'll most likely be a result of the ballot on account of their recency. Plus it kinda makes sense given that the 3 in the edited ballot section are the estimated Top 3 in America (however, said estimate doesn't account for those who don't shout the character they voted for to the heavens, so keep that in mind). Again, I say this as someone who has them as their 3rd biggest request. Though right now I'm gonna assume the worst-case scenario & that the 2 unknowns are Wolf & only 1 slot for whoever wins the ballot.

To be fair, I mainly want Fountain of Dreams back because I thought it was a beautiful stage with beautiful music. Imagine that stage in glorious HD on the Wii U.

Yeah, but at the same time, not many of the past stages brought back have been visually updated. Not even Kongo Jungle 64.

Of course, Fountain of Dreams could be an exception like Temple and Onett if we're lucky.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but at the same time, not many of the past stages brought back have been visually updated. Not even Kongo Jungle 64.

Of course, Fountain of Dreams could be an exception like Temple and Onett if we're lucky.

Kongo Jungle 64 I can accept because, well, it's from the Nintendo 64. Temple and Onett were beloved Melee stages and got a higher res coat of paint, I don't see why Fountain of Dreams would be different from those two, but I imagine Dreamland 64 would not be altered like its DK counterpart.

Are there any other Melee stages in Smash Wii U that I'm forgetting besides Temple and Onett? Because if there aren't any others, and Temple and Onett got better textures, Fountain could reasonably get one too.

Edit: And to be frank, even if the stage was ripped straight from Melee in all of its lower quality goodness, I'd be no less happy to see it return.

Yoshi's Island, but that's it for the Wii U.

I clean forgot about Yoshi's Island. Thanks for reminding me.

Kongo Jungle 64 I can accept because, well, it's from the Nintendo 64. Temple and Onett were beloved Melee stages and got a higher res coat of paint, I don't see why Fountain of Dreams would be different from those two, but I imagine Dreamland 64 would not be altered like its DK counterpart.

Are there any other Melee stages in Smash Wii U that I'm forgetting besides Temple and Onett? Because if there aren't any others, and Temple and Onett got better textures, Fountain could reasonably get one too.

Edit: And to be frank, even if the stage was ripped straight from Melee in all of its lower quality goodness, I'd be no less happy to see it return.

Yoshi's Island, but that's it for the Wii U.

Unless you count Flat Zone X, but there wouldn't really be anyway to visually update it anyway.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd willingly accept any stage as long as it's not New Pork. Palutena's Temple is a far superior big stage. It provides no purpose but give Earthbound a poor second stage when Four Side would be a better choice to fill that need.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Maybe, just maybe, they changed the drop rates of stuff. I had stopped getting new trophies in most modes for a long time and today I got a couple new ones. I also got more new custom moves than usual.
As far as I'm aware, just the Mewtwo related ones.

Yeah I just realized the trophies I got are old, but since the update unobtained stuff became more prominent.

woopWOOP

Yeah, I think a lot of the Roy complaints are bullshit, but holy lol at the last page of that thread.

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Wolf
Ryu
Chorus Kids/Inkling

+

King K. Rool
Isaac
Wonder Red
That's what I'm thinking. Also I'm 100% behind these results.

Golnei

Indeed the drop rate of new customs and chance of new trophies in the shop feels much higher after the update

The drop rate for custom moves doesn't seem that different for me, but I've noticed the rare trophies showing up more often as well.

tumblr_nlffkhQAOm1u6btgqo1_400.gif

In addition to Temple and Onett's changes, the Brawl past stages were also revised considerably - Castle Siege's first stage got a new model, Port Town Aero Dive and Halberd's main platform received higher quality textures, and Norfair was given a few new lighting effects, among other changes. If Fountain of Dreams returned on Wii U, I'd imagine it'd receive a few updates in that vein - it wouldn't be a complete remodel, but updated textures and lighting would seem reasonable. The original version still looks great aside from the reflections, so I'd be fine with it being brought over mostly unchanged.
Though they should definitely keep the Jigglypuff glitch even if the reflection effect is overhauled completely.

Pizza

I'd love to see

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Ryu
Wolf
Inkling

And then

Wonder Red
K. Rool
Starman
Mallo

Also, I'd love to see stage dlc that includes all of 64 (not even in hd, people would still love it) fan favorites from melee (big blue/brinstar depths plz) brawl (idk, New pork city? Warioware?) And a smaller set of like five or ten beautiful new (legal plz) hd stages. Oh! And a dlc pack that lets each version of the game buy the other's stages. At least 3ds -> Wii U. I need hd tomodochi life and magicant

Clov

I'd love to see

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Ryu
Wolf
Inkling

And then

Wonder Red
K. Rool
Starman
Mallo

Also, I'd love to see stage dlc that includes all of 64 (not even in hd, people would still love it) fan favorites from melee (big blue/brinstar depths plz) brawl (idk, New pork city? Warioware?) And a smaller set of like five or ten beautiful new (legal plz) hd stages. Oh! And a dlc pack that lets each version of the game buy the other's stages. At least 3ds -> Wii U. I need hd tomodochi life and magicant

Starman as in... just a regular enemy Starman? They already have one as an assist trophy! If you want a villain from Mother, Masked Man would probably be the better choice.

I can't really call New Pork City a fan favorite, but maybe it would work better in 8 player mode.

For additional downloadable characters, I'd love to see Wolf, Inkling, and K. Rool. Not sure what last character I'd want, now that Roy and Ryu are pretty much confirmed. My dream characters would probably be Hades and Masked Man, but I doubt either of those ones will get in.

Pizza

Starman as in... just a regular enemy Starman? They already have one as an assist trophy! If you want a villain from Mother, Masked Man would probably be the better choice.

I can't really call New Pork City a fan favorite, but maybe it would work better[...]

Sorry, this starman from pro wrestling!

Pro_Wrestling_Star_Man.png

And new pork blew in brawl, but I think it'd be a lot of fun for 8-player. I feel the same about palutenas temple

Clov

Sorry, this starman from pro wrestling!

Pro_Wrestling_Star_Man.png

And new pork blew in brawl, but I think it'd be a lot of fun for 8-player. I feel the same about palutenas temple

Oh, that makes more sense! That's a choice I wouldn't have thought of. A rep from something like that could be pretty neat. If I had to pick a rep from an old NES title, personally I'd go with Mach Rider. That would be pretty interesting.

Ryce

Unfortunately, the incredibly bland Fighter Hayabusa is the protagonist of Pro Wrestling, so in the event that we were to get a character from that game it would most likely be him.

Pizza

Oh, that makes more sense! That's a choice I wouldn't have thought of. A rep from something like that could be pretty neat. If I had to pick a rep from an old NES title, personally I'd go with Mach Rider. That would be pretty interesting.

Mach Rider would be rad too! I love that smash pulls out old forgotten characters

Unfortunately, the incredibly bland Fighter Hayabusa is the protagonist of Pro Wrestling, so in the event that we were to get a character from that game it would most likely be him.

An argument *could* be made for fighter and Ryu being too similar, and even though fighter is the "main" character I'm pretty sure the game let's you play with everyone from the start!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You guys and your obsession with Fountain of Dreams.

I just want my Poke Floats back.

PokeFloat would be amazing if it came back.

We need tournament-legal stages more. We need Dream Land 64 on the Wii U, we need Fountain of Dreams, we need Pokémon Stadium 1, & we need Yoshi's Story.

I believe in balance of categories rather than fully on one sided category tho. I just want more neutral stages for tournament-wise, and I want more chaos stages for my friends to play with.

But tournament-legal stages are fun. You don't die to random bullshit.

Yes, it's a lot of fun but other people found chaos/random stages more fun.

TDLink

Here's what I'm feeling at the moment.

DLC Characters
1. Lucas
2. Ryu
3. Our Boy Roy
4. Wolf
5. Smash Ballot Pick That Does Well

DLC Stages
1. Dreamland 64
2. New Pork City
3. Street Fighter Stage
4. Pokemon Stadium 1
5. Hyrule Castle 64
6. Saffron City 64
7. Pirate Ship

In my ideal world (considering what we know) it would be this:

Pre-Planned Characters (2015)
Mewtwo
Lucas
Ryu
Roy
Wolf
Inkling (Splatoon)

Ballot Characters (2016)
Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
Hades (Kid Icarus Uprising)
Isaac (Golden Sun)

If the 6th DLC is really the last one and not a pre-planned character, then I want it to be Wonder Red.

Other characters I would be really happy to see (but don't find incredibly likely):

Banjo & Kazooie
King K Rool
Dunban or Reyn (Xenoblade)
Bayonetta
Ridley (Not Other M style)
Toon Ganondorf (with swords) or Classic Ganon

For stages I would like to see a few brand new ones, especially to represent any new characters (rather than vets) that we might be getting. There are plenty of 64, Melee, and Brawl stages I want to see come back as well though. And 3DS stages that aren't on Wii U (and to a lesser extent vice versa). There's too many options to even pick an optimal 7 personally, although I like all of your wants minus New Pork. I'd rather get Magicant onto Wii U for another Mother stage. I really hope there's a lot of stage DLC, it doesn't feel like it would be that hard to do.

backlot

In my ideal world (considering what we know) it would be this:

Pre-Planned Characters (2015)
Mewtwo
Lucas
Ryu
Roy
Wolf
Inkling (Splatoon)

Ballot Characters (2016)
Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
Hades (Kid Icarus Uprising)
Isaac (Golden Sun)

If the 6th DLC is really the last one and not a pre-planned character, then I want it to be Wonder Red.

Other characters I would be really happy to see (but don't find incredibly likely):

Banjo & Kazooie
King K Rool
Dunban or Reyn (Xenoblade)
Bayonetta
Ridley (Not Other M style)
Toon Ganondorf (with swords) or Classic Ganon

For stages I would like to see a few brand new ones, especially to represent any new characters (rather than vets) that we might be getting. There are plenty of 64, Melee, and Brawl stages I want to see come back as well though. And 3DS stages that aren't on Wii U (and to a lesser extent vice versa). There's too many options to even pick an optimal 7 personally, although I like all of your wants minus New Pork. I'd rather get Magicant onto Wii U for another Mother stage. I really hope there's a lot of stage DLC, it doesn't feel like it would be that hard to do.
Nobody is voting for Hades though.

My problem with Smash Bros., and that has been developing since Melee and culminated in Smash 4, is that the balance between good and bad stages has been heavily tilting towards the latter.
Where in Smash 64 and Melee, it was more good than bad, or at least around even, Brawl and Smash 4 have more stages that are bad than good.

As an explanation, my definition of "bad" in this case is a stage that shifts the focus on beating the stage, rather than beating the opponent. Intrusive stages that completely disrupt the gameplay.
To me, Smash is supposed to be a fighting game in various arenas, as opposed to a platformer game where you occasionally punch the other players. And that can't happen if most of the stages are bad by my definition.
Stuff like the Pokemon on Spear Pillar, or badly placed ceilings like in Mushroomy Kingdom, or NPC characters like Flying Man and Ridley on their respective stages, or randomly given rewards like WarioWare's, or enormously gigantic stages, like 75m or New Pork City or Great Cave Offensive.
Sadly, Smash 4 has mostly those kinds of stages.

Also, not all good stages have to be tournament legal. I really liked Shadow Moses Island in Brawl, for instance, and that one got banned right away due to its walls. I liked Hanenbow as well, although almost everybody hated that one.

I understand that there have to be crazy stages as well, and I wouldn't mind them, if they weren't the majority as of late.

So yeah. I'd really like some more plain areas in Smash 4, just to give more variety.

Pizza

I doubt NPC has a single fan in the entire universe.

Yeah, that was poorly worded. I don't even like new pork city! only reason I included it was that it's equally as bad as palutena's temple and there is a need for more 8-player stages.

Why'd sakurai bring 75m back again?

I'd willingly accept any stage as long as it's not New Pork. Palutena's Temple is a far superior big stage. It provides no purpose but give Earthbound a poor second stage when Four Side would be a better choice to fill that need.
The only thing Palutena's Temple has over New Pork City is that it's not hideous. Palutena's Temple's platform arrangement is far, far worse than New Pork City, and New Pork City sucks.

TDLink

Nobody is voting for Hades though.

I know :( That's why it's my "ideal" list. Even though he isn't getting many votes, he's still a Sakurai created character. In my mind that makes him slightly more likely than others that may be getting more votes (like K Rool or Ridley). Hades is the best antagonist a Nintendo game has had in my opinion. I really think he should be in the game, and would be fun to play.

I'd still take any of those others I listed though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hades is different in Japan from what I gathered

Green Mamba comparing Goku to Roy in the bad choices department on top of the Roy defense force lol? Good thing that thread was closed.

the point is that popular characters sometimes isn't a good idea

I can't think of a single stage in Smash I've ever hated. There's certainly ones I've found boring (Kongo Jungle 64, Icicle Mountain, Melee Yoshi's Story, Melee Battlefield), but nothing that's ever made me go "arrgghhhghghghgh this is unplayable."

Then again, I'm more lenient with most of Smash's flaws than most so *shrugs*

Not to mention Sakurai actually acknowledged the Goku requests on Miiverse, LOL

L Thammy

A popular low-investment character is a great choice, taking the perspective of a developer who is trying to satisfy as many people as possible while staying practical.

A popular low-investment character can be a disappointment from the perspective of heavily invested players who want new content to add as much quality as possible and to add ad much value as possible for its price.

Considering how the previous thread ended, I think it's best to leave it there.
(People who talk about lots are still ridiculous though."

TDLink

apparently his personality and catchy dialogue is western only?

I find that a bit hard to believe, especially since some of the game moments are built around that (Like the PIT! HADES! etc. scenes). And that style of humour is ingrained in the rest of the game through the other characters as well. But I'd be pretty interested to see the actual differences. It's pretty disappointing if he isn't as fun as he is for Japanese players.

Not to mention Sakurai actually acknowledged the Goku requests on Miiverse, LOL

What did he say?

L Thammy

I find that a bit hard to believe, especially since some of the game moments are built around that (Like the PIT! HADES! etc. scenes). And that style of humour is ingrained in the rest of the game through the other characters as well. But I'd be pretty interested to see the actual differences. It's pretty disappointing if he isn't as fun as he is for Japanese players.

Don't have the time to find it at the moment, but it's been mentioned by Tomato (Clyde Mandelin) on Legends of Localization that some of the humour is quite different. He specifically notes that Pit is played straight in Japan whereas the English translation has him being pretty snarky. I don't know what that means for Hades, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was different.

Regarding Goku, Sakurai just said that he was a ridiculous request or something like that. Do you not remember when he mentioned Goku or Spongebob?

Azure J

What did he say?

Sakurai: But, you know I get requests like, “Please put Goku in”
Sugita: GOKU!?
Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible.
Sugita: Spongebob’s games are only sold abroad!
Sakurai: That’s right
Sugita: The really energetic, yellow square right?
Sakurai: Yes.
Sugita: Even Spongebob…
Sakurai: Well, those kinds of requests are pretty common.
Sugita: What about Yukawasen*, or Segata Sanshiro?
Sakurai: (laughs)
Sugita: …well I’m glad Sonic’s in.
Sakurai: That’s the point of Mii Fighters

See here. Also has a voice clip of Sakurai saying their names and Tomokazu Sugita (Gintoki from Gintama; Takamaru and Chrom's JPN VA) cracking up over it.

Edit: Beaten, but for the record here's what Sugita had to say on Takamaru.

Sugita: I was really happy to play Takamaru.
Sakurai: I thought about having Takamaru as a player character for a second…but it’s was probably impossible.
Sugita: Takamaru….
Sakurai: Due to lack of popularity….
Sugita: Popularity, huh….I made an appearance! I made an appearance! For popularity abroad…: (In Takamaru’s voice) I won’t give up.

The only change I want to see to the stages in Smash Wii U is eventually making all playable via 8 player smash (omega and normal) even if it means changing how they function like taking Ridley out of Pyrosphere. I think the patches so far are doing a good job but I'm still mad that my favourite stage Coliseum is still not playable in 8 player smash. Surely by keeping the shifting platforms in a fixed position that stage would be fine? Not even the Omega version is available for whatever reason...

I can't think of a single stage in Smash I've ever hated. There's certainly ones I've found boring (Kongo Jungle 64, Icicle Mountain, Melee Yoshi's Story, Melee Battlefield), but nothing that's ever made me go "arrgghhhghghghgh this is unplayable."

Then again, I'm more lenient with most of Smash's flaws than most so *shrugs*

I feel the same way kinda. In Smash Wii U, the only stage I outright despise is 75m and its damn springs. Sure there are those kind of stages where I'm like "urgh not this stage" aka Great Cave Offensive, Temple, Skyworld but I have no problems with the overall selection. In fact I wouldn't even care if there was no Stage DLC (I'm not expecting any anyway.)

Pizza

My problem with Smash Bros., and that has been developing since Melee and culminated in Smash 4, is that the balance between good and bad stages has been heavily tilting towards the latter.
Where in Smash 64 and Melee, it was more good than bad, or at least around even, Brawl and Smash 4 have more stages that are bad than good.

As an explanation, my definition of "bad" in this case is a stage that shifts the focus on beating the stage, rather than beating the opponent. Intrusive stages that completely disrupt the gameplay.
To me, Smash is supposed to be a fighting game in various arenas, as opposed to a platformer game where you occasionally punch the other players. And that can't happen if most of the stages are bad by my definition.
Stuff like the Pokemon on Spear Pillar, or badly placed ceilings like in Mushroomy Kingdom, or NPC characters like Flying Man and Ridley on their respective stages, or randomly given rewards like WarioWare's, or enormously gigantic stages, like 75m or New Pork City or Great Cave Offensive.
Sadly, Smash 4 has mostly those kinds of stages.

Also, not all good stages have to be tournament legal. I really liked Shadow Moses Island in Brawl, for instance, and that one got banned right away due to its walls. I liked Hanenbow as well, although almost everybody hated that one.

I understand that there have to be crazy stages as well, and I wouldn't mind them, if they weren't the majority as of late.

So yeah. I'd really like some more plain areas in Smash 4, just to give more variety.

I agree comepletely! Even tame stages like pilotwings and lylat cruise *have* to do something like tilt.

Norfair is a metroid lava stage with a cool setup. BUT since previously metroid stages had rising lava, this one will have that, and sideways lava, and lava plumes from the background, and also a giant wave of lava that you have to hide from.

Skyloft is a delfino-isle-like travelling stage, except often the stage will lower into a place where you can not realize it's lowering until you're too far between two pillars to recover.

Magicant is perfect. Unless you'd like to do a 1v1. Because then it's "let's fight until you get the flying man and now I have to fight both of you since he doesn't ever despawn" and flying man spawns a total of FIVE times a match!!

Pyrosphere is a boring design made unplayable by constant monsters and that one character everyone people wanted but eh sakurai would rather him be a fightable boss. (Who joins your side, same issue. as flying man)

Why did 75m come back.

Why is palutenas temple even BIGGER than new pork city. it's only ever cool for 8-player.

Find Mii has the MAJORITY of the stage fall at various times.

Why did castle siege come back? Not Mario castle, not hyrule castle.

Why did bridge of Eldin come back? In a game where "play the flat stages" Is the answer to no hazards, you bring in a flat stage WITH HAZARDS as an option?

Why is the Mario Galaxy stage curved pyrosphere without Ridley? Is that the best thing for all of Mario galaxy?

Why are there two Mario circuits. Cloudtop cruise would have worked equally as well imo, sure it's not as iconic as the figure 8, but then don't bring back the smelly brawl stage.

Port Town Aero Drive and Big Blue were both in brawl, yet someone sat down and said "yeah not big blue, let's use aero drive, no don't change that awful brown floor texture that's everywhere"

And we really needed skyworld back? For real?

I'm also super stoked we got an HD great Fox stage. It's even better that youre on the tiny mothership for about a minute until you're platforming on arwings, fighting on top of a missile that totally has platforms on the back if you know where to look, then back on arwings, onto another missile, onto arwings AGAIN before resting on the great Fox for a minute. Nah, bringing back venom or corneria was way too hard.

Why not bring back Jungle Japes, Congo Jungle, Dream Land, Green Greens, fountain of dreams, fourside, mute city, big blue, pokemon stadium (the real one without the fun wind gusts and conveyor belts) poke floats (it's fun but not awful) brinstar depths (it rotates, but kraid only serves to create huge tells as to what direction it'll rotate) rainbow cruise, peach's castle, pictochat, both mushroom kingdoms, great bay, yoshi's story or the brawl yoshi stage, idk why they chose the fun melee one, actually, just don't bring back very many more from brawl.

I hate how the only answer to the stage issue is "make them flat" and the only other stage we have to definitely look forward to is a second (third) battlefield. Also it's green, which is the default color for smash 4 stages. I'm happy the character roster is getting crazy attention, but my interest in the game is starting to wane since I really dislike most the stages. The game is mechanically sublime but I'm afraid that there will be minimal additional stages, and even cool new ones will be too fun to play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom