• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stages are definitely the weak area of SSB4, but luckily it's nothing that can't be fixed. They just had a lot of character in Melee.

Still pissed off we didn't get a Pushmo stage on the 3DS version.

EulaCapra

Is anyone else here actually voting for Dixie Kong? It'd be great if they bundled Dixie and King K. Rool with another DK stage.

I just find it terrible that after making so many appearances in the Mario and DK universes, she may not make it to playable state until around the year 2020. They can't just fill up franchises with nothing but male reps especially when there's females available. That's not right.

Azure J

Sugita's such a bro in that interview. Segata Sanshiro, advocating for my man Takamaru, actually hilarious about Goku & Spongebob. It's great. :lol

Ryce

Is anyone else here actually voting for Dixie Kong? It'd be great if they bundled Dixie and King K. Rool with another DK stage.

I just find it terrible that after making so many appearances in the Mario and DK universes, she may not make it to playable state until around the year 2020. They can't just fill up franchises with nothing but male reps especially when there's females available. That's not right.
Between Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Palutena, Robin, Lucina, Wendy, and Mii Fighters, this game did really well on the gender front. Dixie Kong should definitely be included, though, because she’s historically Nintendo’s fourth biggest female character after Peach, Samus, and Zelda.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

3886633-2559988948-37837.gif

What we should really have are the ability to toggle hazards.

Pyrosphere and Kalos Pokemon League can be a lot more fair and unique if they didn't have all those hazards/enemies.

Edit: Beaten, but for the record here's what Sugita had to say on Takamaru.

Popularity decides everything, but we still don't have Toad or Waluigi...

L Thammy

I feel like there's a good chance that this poll will lead to Takamaru. Not necessarily as the ballot character, but maybe as a newcomer for the next game. Sakurai's considered including him in every Smash Bros since the first and it's always popularity and relevancy or things like that which change his mind.

Nazo no Murasame Jo is out on 3DS VC. Takamaru was featured in a Nintendo Land game, and he's an assist trophy. There's been a lot more to expose the character to a new audience now, and I think there may be enough curious people who want would enjoy seeing him as a playable addition.

Azure J

I feel like there's a good chance that this poll will lead to Takamaru. Not necessarily as the ballot character, but maybe as a newcomer for the next game. Sakurai's considered including him in every Smash Bros since the first and it's always popularity and relevancy or things like that which change his mind.

Nazo no Murasame Jo is out on 3DS VC. Takamaru was featured in a Nintendo Land game, and he's an assist trophy. There's been a lot more to expose the character to a new audience now, and I think there may be enough curious people who want would enjoy seeing him as a playable addition.

This is how I've felt for a good while but I don't like assuming things about Smash since Sakurai is a pro at swerving on people. I've said it previously that my votes in this ballot are less about "fixing Takamaru's current predicament" as much as they are trying to sway some folks/Sakurai himself into going all in with a Takamaru newcomer in Smash 5 or whatever else follows this title. At the same time, I would definitely not object to a redo if the team feels like indulging in doing as such.

There are a few people I've spoken to already that are down for such a movement, but hopefully things fall into place for a grander scale curiosity to take place.

jph139

She was my one and only vote. There's a lot of characters I like, and would want to see in, but in my mind Dixie Kong is the last necessary character for Smash - alongside Villager and Little Mac, who finally made their way in. She's a classic, with a distinctive design, that starred/co-starred in some of the best games in Nintendo history.

I'm fine with K. Rool, no complaints if he gets in, but if they ignore Dixie entirely I'll be heartbroken.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Characters Dixie Kong and K. Rool bundled together with the Gangplank Galleon stage with an assortment of ripped and remixed music from DKC 1-3 and DK64, a Cranky Kong assist trophy, and an assortment of collectible trophies from the DK universe.

7.99 for one platform, 11.99 for both. Or something like that.

It's the Donkey Kong Country Pack!

A man can dream, can't he?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This is how I've felt for a good while but I don't like assuming things about Smash since Sakurai is a pro at swerving on people. I've said it previously that my votes in this ballot are less about "fixing Takamaru's current predicament" as much as they are trying to sway some folks/Sakurai himself into going all in with a Takamaru newcomer in Smash 5 or whatever else follows this title. At the same time, I would definitely not object to a redo if the team feels like indulging in doing as such.

There are a few people I've spoken to already that are down for such a movement, but hopefully things fall into place for a grander scale curiosity to take place.

Yeah, I really have a good feeling about Takamaru's chance tho.

TDLink

Characters Dixie Kong and K. Rool bundled together with the Gangplank Galleon stage with an assortment of ripped and remixed music from DKC 1-3 and DK64, a Cranky Kong assist trophy, and an assortment of collectible trophies from the DK universe.

7.99 for one platform, 11.99 for both. Or something like that.

It's the Donkey Kong Country Pack!

A man can dream, can't he?

That would be great, it's just realistically they probably are only going to add one DK character (if any). I'm honestly fine with either, but Dixie is the more boring and probably easier choice since she's another Kong and could be a Diddy clone/luigification. K Rool is more interesting from a character standpoint since he's not a Kong and would more likely have a more original moveset being not a Kong. He's also a villain, which the game needs more of. That's probably why more people are preferring K Rool.

Alongside Samurai Warriors 3, this is why I was a little surprised he wasn't playable this time.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
That would be great, it's just realistically they probably are only going to add one DK character (if any). I'm honestly fine with either, but Dixie is the more boring and probably easier choice since she's another Kong and could be a Diddy clone/luigification. K Rool is more interesting from a character standpoint since he's not a Kong and would more likely have a more original moveset being not a Kong. He's also a villain, which the game needs more of. That's probably why more people are preferring K Rool.

Obviously I would pick K Rool over Dixie any day of the week, but in an ideal world they would both be in. Sadly it's not an ideal world ;_;

I'd be voting for her if K. Rool didn't exist. Both deserve to be playable now. I'd even be fine if they Luigified Diddy so both we got both. Smash 4 would have been a perfect game if it had more DK content, but at least we can raise awareness through the ballot.

My problem with Smash Bros., and that has been developing since Melee and culminated in Smash 4, is that the balance between good and bad stages has been heavily tilting towards the latter.
Where in Smash 64 and Melee, it was more good than bad, or at least around even, Brawl and Smash 4 have more stages that are bad than good.

As an explanation, my definition of "bad" in this case is a stage that shifts the focus on beating the stage, rather than beating the opponent. Intrusive stages that completely disrupt the gameplay.
To me, Smash is supposed to be a fighting game in various arenas, as opposed to a platformer game where you occasionally punch the other players. And that can't happen if most of the stages are bad by my definition.
Stuff like the Pokemon on Spear Pillar, or badly placed ceilings like in Mushroomy Kingdom, or NPC characters like Flying Man and Ridley on their respective stages, or randomly given rewards like WarioWare's, or enormously gigantic stages, like 75m or New Pork City or Great Cave Offensive.
Sadly, Smash 4 has mostly those kinds of stages.

Also, not all good stages have to be tournament legal. I really liked Shadow Moses Island in Brawl, for instance, and that one got banned right away due to its walls. I liked Hanenbow as well, although almost everybody hated that one.

I understand that there have to be crazy stages as well, and I wouldn't mind them, if they weren't the majority as of late.

So yeah. I'd really like some more plain areas in Smash 4, just to give more variety.

Interesting; I could not feel more oppositely. The ratio of stages I enjoy vs. stages I don't is higher than ever in Smash Wii U - higher than it's been since Smash 64 for me, honestly. Jungle Hijinxs, Duck Hunt, Coliseum, Gamer, Mario Circuit, Windy Hill Zone, Pac-Land, Garden of Hope, Pilotwings, Wuhu Island, Orbital Gate Assault, Mario Galaxy, Mushroom Kingdom U, Skyloft, Wii Fit Studio, Gaur Plain, and Woolly World are all as amazingly fun today as they were the day the game came out, whereas I felt that the majority of the stages in Melee and Brawl got somewhat dull rather quickly. For me at least, part of the fun of Smash and part of being good at it is learning how to anticipate, avoid, and use stage hazards to your advantage. Smash is (or at least should be, IMO) just as much about platforming skill and spatial reasoning as it is about the actual fighting, combos, follow-ups, cross-ups, footsies, etc. But I realize most competitive players don't feel that way.

That said, while I do enjoy traveling stages with dynamic landscapes/platform layouts and stage hazards, I've found that I really can't stand stage bosses. Pyrosphere and Wily Castle (argh, why couldn't the Mega Man stage have been better) are almost unplayable for me on anything other than their Omega versions for that reason.

Speaking of Omega versions, if what you're asking for is a large variety of plain areas, I don't see how Smash Wii U isn't a dream come true for you; the Omega stages are literally exactly that. I personally can't stand Omega stages or FD most of the time because they bore me to tears, but they were added to satisfy people exactly like you who prefer those kinds of flat, featureless, no-distractions stages.

Sadly, all three of my favorite Brawl stages - Pirate Ship, Frigate Orpheon, and Spear Pillar - were cut for Smash 4. I'm hoping at least one of them makes a comeback as DLC... preferably Pirate Ship, if I had to choose just one. The fact that The Wind Waker has no stage representation in Smash Wii U/3DS is just criminal. That they chose to bring back boring-ass Bridge of Eldin over Pirate Ship just blows my mind. :(

Since it's looking from the mined data that we're getting at least seven DLC stages, I'll throw out my top seven DLC stage choices for the Wii U version here:

- Pirate Ship
- Frigate Orpheon
- Magicant
- Mute City SNES
- Spear Pillar
- Hyrule Castle
- Saffron City

Gravidee

Since it's looking from the mined data that we're getting at least seven DLC stages, I'll throw out my top seven DLC stage choices for the Wii U version here:

- Pirate Ship
- Frigate Orpheon
- Magicant
- Mute City SNES
- Spear Pillar
- Hyrule Castle
- Saffron City

It would be great to get Frigate Orpheon back, the omega version should be cool. Hopefully, more Metroid Prime tracks can be made available as well.

One thing I'd like to see with stage DLC is for the 3DS Smash to get stages from the Wii U Smash. As with the veterans (and indicated by the rumored return of Dream Land 64), it's likely that the existing stages are being prioritized over brand new ones anyway.

Obviously something like Pyrosphere would be too much, but some of the Melee/Brawl stages (Yoshi's Island, Onett) and maybe Duck Hunt and Pilotwings would be welcome.

Corneria, Brinstar and Yoshi's Island shouldn't have been stuck on the 3DS.

I miss those stages immensely. Especially Corneria, Smash 4 doesn't feel right without it.

The 3DS can keep Mushroomy Kingdom

I'd willingly accept any stage as long as it's not New Pork. Palutena's Temple is a far superior big stage. It provides no purpose but give Earthbound a poor second stage when Four Side would be a better choice to fill that need.

New Pork City was the stage in Brawl that made me go "this stage is too big for 4 players", now we have 8 player smash... but we don't have New Pork City to test my theory on. I'd like to see that stage come back with Lucas on WiiU I think much of it's issues would be fixed with 4 more players.

Azure J

I would not mind this. Would we be able to vote in 3 Ballot characters?

I was actually thinking of just doing a GAF thread poll. I'm thinking:

- 3 - 5 votes total (assuming most of us are multi-voters on the official poll anyways)
- Get the names of the most talked about characters regardless of current standing and put them all up as options; make an other option for the submissions that aren't available
- Insert the final results of each successive thread as one part of the OP post on later DLC character discussion threads.

Would it be possible to combine that with this thread? Assuming this is one of a series of threads until the voting period is over that is.

Removing the walk offs and making it so you can go through platforms has improved that stage significantly.
Sweet jesus no. Play naturally went to the walkoff to the top right because it was the only tolerable place to fight on. The rest of it consists of platforms too small to actually do anything or a long flat area where Donkey Kong can easily kill you. Fighting on the smaller platforms lasts one or two hits at most because any amount of launching will put a character on another platform. Without the walkoff area to make fights mercifully short it consists mostly of trying to jump from platform to platform to catch each other after getting hit any distance. The stage is straight up garbage.

Pizza

Removing the walk offs and making it so you can go through platforms has improved that stage significantly.

I agree! It's playable now, but I'd stil argue that the changes are merely polishing a turd. It's still a groan-inducing stage when happened upon and it's only half fun in 8-player where the hectic-ness of the stage makes the game move really fast.

But if they wanted to do crazy, why not have 8-player brinstar depths, rainbow cruise and Big Blue? Those would be fucking awesome.

stage list is permanently garbage until warioware inc is brought to the wii u version

and while they're at it please remove the invincibility reward pleaseeeee it's so close to being perfect

The only stages I'd really want back for the Wii U version are Fountain of Dreams, Pirate Ship, and Frigate Orpheon. Rainbow Cruise and Big Blue would be nice as well, and maybe Magicant/Mute City if they're willing to break the non-parity for stages.

Problem is that most of their music tracks (barring Fountain of Dreams) play in other stages now and I get the impression they desire cohesion by not allowing music tracks to play on more on one stage. Unless they either switch them over or allow the player to move tracks over between stages of related series, I don't see most of my suggestions happening.

My problem with Smash Bros., and that has been developing since Melee and culminated in Smash 4, is that the balance between good and bad stages has been heavily tilting towards the latter.
Where in Smash 64 and Melee, it was more good than bad, or at least around even, Brawl and Smash 4 have more stages that are bad than good.

As an explanation, my definition of "bad" in this case is a stage that shifts the focus on beating the stage, rather than beating the opponent. Intrusive stages that completely disrupt the gameplay.
To me, Smash is supposed to be a fighting game in various arenas, as opposed to a platformer game where you occasionally punch the other players. And that can't happen if most of the stages are bad by my definition.
Stuff like the Pokemon on Spear Pillar, or badly placed ceilings like in Mushroomy Kingdom, or NPC characters like Flying Man and Ridley on their respective stages, or randomly given rewards like WarioWare's, or enormously gigantic stages, like 75m or New Pork City or Great Cave Offensive.

Also, not all good stages have to be tournament legal. I really liked Shadow Moses Island in Brawl, for instance, and that one got banned right away due to its walls. I liked Hanenbow as well, although almost everybody hated that one.

I understand that there have to be crazy stages as well, and I wouldn't mind them, if they weren't the majority as of late.

So yeah. I'd really like some more plain areas in Smash 4, just to give more variety.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one.

Makes me wish Sakurai would release a Stage Ballot too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Makes me wish Sakurai would release a Stage Ballot too.
Considering the only impact the Fighter Ballot will have is the character chosen and not their moves a stage ballot will not necessarily get you the stage you want since all one can suggest is the inspiration. You could suggest something as flat as flat can be like 'The End of the World in the Sammer's Kingdom from Super Paper Mario' and they still may turn that idea into the most bombastic stage imaginable.

cant you just change them without hazards?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find that a bit hard to believe, especially since some of the game moments are built around that (Like the PIT! HADES! etc. scenes). And that style of humour is ingrained in the rest of the game through the other characters as well. But I'd be pretty interested to see the actual differences. It's pretty disappointing if he isn't as fun as he is for Japanese players.

hearsay has it that it was due to the Monty Python guys doing the localization for the most part.

Bluth54

Corneria, Brinstar and Yoshi's Island shouldn't have been stuck on the 3DS.

I miss those stages immensely. Especially Corneria, Smash 4 doesn't feel right without it.

The 3DS can keep Mushroomy Kingdom

Yeah Corneria is my favorite SSB stage and it's pretty disapointing it's only on the 3DS.

Zubz

Banned
Considering the only impact the Fighter Ballot will have is the character chosen and not their moves a stage ballot will not necessarily get you the stage you want since all one can suggest is the inspiration. You could suggest something as flat as flat can be like 'The End of the World in the Sammer's Kingdom from Super Paper Mario' and they still may turn that idea into the most bombastic stage imaginable.

I'm not going to lie, that'd be interesting to see them pull off, seeing how the level's
nothing but a white void and a thin, black line, with the outlined remains of some rocks and debris showing up every once in awhile

But yeah, I agree; just picking a locale won't give you the stage that you want. For example, I thought N's Castle or Magicant would make for some amazing stages, but I dislike how either were implemented (Granted, remove the dragons/Flying Men and those'd be some pretty good levels, all things considered). However, seeing how a lot of us are discussing what old stages to bring back, maybe a poll of the most popular stages in the series would be nice (With Smash 4 ones included, to see if, say, Duck Hunt or Prism Tower are popular enough to port to the other version). It could look innocuous, but it'd give them an idea of what stages people'd want to see come back as DLC. Maybe add in a vote about a Hazard Toggle so they can be overwhelmed by "Yes" votes for a feature that'd take, like, a day to add in and make sure that Metal Crystal from Smash 64 isn't left out, and I'd argue that'd be the perfect way to pick classic stages.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I was actually thinking of just doing a GAF thread poll. I'm thinking:

- 3 - 5 votes total (assuming most of us are multi-voters on the official poll anyways)
- Get the names of the most talked about characters regardless of current standing and put them all up as options; make an other option for the submissions that aren't available
- Insert the final results of each successive thread as one part of the OP post on later DLC character discussion threads.

Would it be possible to combine that with this thread? Assuming this is one of a series of threads until the voting period is over that is.

1. 3-5 votes sound good.
2. Just let people vote whatever they want so we can gauge which characters were popular on neogaf.
3. I will post it in OP (I assume that you are talking about this thread)

I think we should keep votes separate from this thread and your thread because we don't really want to overlap the votes in a sense.

Also it would make DLC characters discussion even more interesting for neogaf's tastes, like people kept citing some information from our prediction list (hey, it's not that reliable but it's fun to use)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would like to bring it up again. I will revised everything to make it easy for people to read the percents. It will be in order of smash 4 reveals for anyone's conveniences.

Short Story: I decided to host Smash 4 Prediction Contest for people trying their best to predict most accurate roster list that would be in the game. So we got about 121 prediction lists, so I decided to tallied up everything and see what people would think about characters' chances.

Confirmed Characters
Mario - 100%
Bowser - 99.16%
Link - 100%
Samus - 99.16%
Kirby - 99.16%
Fox - 99.16%
Pit - 97.48%
Donkey Kong - 98.32%
Pikachu - 100%
Villager - 0.84%
Mega Man - 58.83%
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%
Captain Olimar - 92.44%
Luigi - 100%
Princess Peach - 100%
Toon Link - 71.43%
Sonic - 89.08%
Marth - 95.80%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Zelda - 99.16%
King Dedede - 92.44%
Lucario - 36.14%
Little Mac - 60.51%
Diddy Kong - 93.28%
Zero Suit Samus - 84.04%
Sheik - 79.83%
Yoshi - 100%
Pokemon Trainer's Charizard - 46.22% & Pokemon Trainer - 89.08%
Greninja (Pokemon X/Y) - 29.42%
Ike - 47.90%
Mii - 20.17%
Palutena - 66.39%
Pac-Man - 57.15%
Lucina - 13.45%
Captain Falcon - 100%
Robin - 5.89%
Shulk - 64.71%
Ness - 99.16%
Falco - 89.92%
Wario - 96.64%
Dr. Mario - 0%
Dark Pit - 9.25%
Ganondorf - 91.60%
R.O.B. - 82.36%
Bowser Jr. - 22.69%
Mr. Game and Watch - 94.12%
Duck Hunt Dog - 3.36%
Jigglypuff - 90.76%

Downloadable Characters
Mewtwo - 70.59% - Newtwo - 47.90%
Lucas - 79%

Rumored Characters
Roy - 15.97%
Street Fighter's Ryu - 4.21%

Cut Characters
Ice Climbers - 94.12%
Pokemon Trainer - 89.08%
Wolf - 74.79%
Snake - 60.51%
Young Link - 2.53%
Pichu - 0%

A stage for this family of playable fighters

500px-Koopalings_Airship_Artwork.jpg

Or Pokéfloats with an airship fleet?

Yes, duking it out in the sky, jumping from fleet to fleet, maybe destroying them to progress through the stage. Bottomless pits abound for high meteor smashing potential.

Poke Floats and Orbital Gate are the closest we have to that, unfortunately.

Sure as hell won't be tourney legal, but it would be so damn fun for 8-players (in my opinion).

jnWake

Sammer's Kingdom before that event is perfect for Smash though. Unrelated, but that part of Super Paper Mario was awesome. By far the best part in the game (story-wise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom