• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to any SF or Ryu fans but I am in severe denial about him. I'm praying that that data is meant for an AT or a track for the Mega Man stage (I am aware that the music data is in the format usually reserved for victory themes).

It's just... why? I mean, I really do get that SF is a huge series, but are we really about to open the door for more than one rep from a given third party? [Opinion Incoming] Ryu isn't even that great of a character. Cool, another fist fighter. I do play SF and I do know what makes him distinct, it's just... I mean, it's such a weird choice and sticks out like a sore thumb on the roster. Plus, then why not allow a second Sega character, and a second Namco character? Ryu just does not seem to belong on a Smash Bros. roster to me.

Roy is awesome, bring him back. I was hoping that they'd really Luigify him (thinking Captain Falcon -> Ganondorf), but seeing as how they kept Mewtwo pretty much exactly the same, I don't have too much hope for that now. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll overhaul his moveset. I think as much would be necessary, especially with Lucina being here. I would love an Awakening-art looking Roy, so so so so much. Please.

But Ryu... just, no thank you. I actually guess I'm a purist in the sense of third parties, and I feel that 1) they should be kept to a minimum in general, and 2) there shouldn't be more than one per publisher. The idea of Ryu is just very odd to me. I dunno, I guess it'll grow on me in concept. And I know Sakurai would do the character justice as he always does, it just does not sit well with me right now.

Pizza

I'm all for Ryu, he'll be less out of place than Snake was.

He'll probably pretty similar to captain falcon and little Mac at a distance: a very colorful flashy human character. I think he'll weirdly fit right in! All his SF staple attacks would be pretty at home in smash and who doesn't want to up throw someone into some spin kicks and a shoryuken?

Gartooth

I'll take Ryu over pretty much any other vet (sans Snake and maybe IC) at this point just to be hyped by the DLC. Love Street Fighter and hopefully he can bring some unique mechanics with him. (EX attacks, parry, focus attack?) But yeah he is a complete out of left field choice for 3rd party characters. If you told me to write a list of 3rd party characters that would make natural fits in Smash he wouldn't be near the top at all, but regardless he will probably be a great addition once we see him.

Can we please get a Vs. styled Nintendo vs. Capcom at this point? lol

Ryce

But Ryu... just, no thank you. I actually guess I'm a purist in the sense of third parties, and I feel that 1) they should be kept to a minimum in general, and 2) there shouldn't be more than one per publisher. The idea of Ryu is just very odd to me. I dunno, I guess it'll grow on me in concept. And I know Sakurai would do the character justice as he always does, it just does not sit well with me right now.
Prior to Brawl I adamantly thought Smash Bros. should stay Nintendo exclusive, but then Snake and Sonic showed up and changed my opinion. They were fun to use, and they were big enough names to justify being included. Third-parties were also an exciting breath of fresh air for the franchise. Ryu takes me back to those Brawl days; I'm sure I can go through my post history and find some comment I made about each third-party company deserving only one character, but now that Ryu is all but confirmed I really think he's a deserving, exciting inclusion. It's not like he's some minor indie character that weakens the integrity of the roster -- he's even more famous than Mega Man, and Street Fighter II on SNES is the best-selling third-party game in Nintendo history. It shouldn't matter that his games are published by the same company as another guest character.

Merc_

It's because Ryu is a well known and popular character that represents a whole genre of games that even Smash is a part of. It's also because third party characters are a guaranteed DLC seller. It also lets Nintendo save more of their own characters for Smash 5. I also wouldn't count out Sega and Namco getting a second character in the game either.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Maybe if they smashified him, and made him look shorter and cuter.

restraining the urge to laugh

It's already happened.

3Lei3L4.gif

bRHxINI.gif

Prior to Brawl I adamantly thought Smash Bros. should stay Nintendo exclusive, but then Snake and Sonic showed up and changed my opinion. They were fun to use, and they were big enough names to justify being included. Third-parties were also an exciting breath of fresh air for the franchise. Ryu takes me back to those Brawl days; I'm sure I can go through my post history and find some comment I made about each third-party company deserving only one character, but now that Ryu is all but confirmed I really think he's a deserving, exciting inclusion. It's not like he's some minor indie character that weakens the integrity of the roster -- he's even more famous than Mega Man, and Street Fighter II on SNES is the best-selling third-party game in Nintendo history. It shouldn't matter that his games are published by the same company as another guest character.

I think there's just so many more Nintendo characters that I'd prefer. I'll get over the whole "two Capcom characters" thing, but I really just don't care for the character, and I think if we're going to go adding more third parties, there are just better choices. Sure, he's not obscure or from a shitty series, but it's just out of left field for me, and not really in a good way.

Ultimately it's whatever. Sakurai will make it work well, and that's all that really matters.

Unrealted, I so so badly wish PotD would start back up for DLC development. I know it wouldn't really work the same as before the game came out, but I'd take silly Sakurai pics every weekday morning over none at all.

Sponge

Banned
Why did so many people believe Lucario wasn't returning? 36%?

I remember clearly. It's because Mewtwo was replaced and people thought the same would happen to Lucario. People assumed he'd be replaced by a Pokemon from Gen 6. No one expected we'd get Greninja, Lucario, and Mewtwo.

I remember I was convinced before Smash 4 was announced that Lucario would be replaced with Zoroark. Boy, I was never happier to be wrong before in my life.

Village

There are a great deal of people who do not acknowledge the popularity of any Pokemon after gen one. And when confronted with that notion it astounds them.

" there is thing popular past the point, i stopped interacting with it?"

Dem shadow the hedgehog isms.

You can offer the same explanation for to a lot of rosalina reactions BTW.

Gartooth

It's because Ryu is a well known and popular character that represents a whole genre of games that even Smash is a part of. It's also because third party characters are a guaranteed DLC seller. It also lets Nintendo save more of their own characters for Smash 5. I also wouldn't count out Sega and Namco getting a second character in the game either.

That would make for an interesting discussion. If you guys had to pick 1 more character from both Sega and Namco for DLC, who would you choose? Honestly, I have no idea who would make a good Sega pick. lol

For Namco I'd probably go with Nightmare because of Link's association in SC2.

Village

That would make for an interesting discussion. If you guys could pick 1 more character from both Sega and Namco, who would you choose? Honestly, I have no idea who would make a good Sega pick. lol

Sega, you already know.

Namco, since harada was like no tekken dudes. I dunno, Dig Dug guy?

Azure J

1. 3-5 votes sound good.
2. Just let people vote whatever they want so we can gauge which characters were popular on neogaf.
3. I will post it in OP (I assume that you are talking about this thread)

I think we should keep votes separate from this thread and your thread because we don't really want to overlap the votes in a sense.

Also it would make DLC characters discussion even more interesting for neogaf's tastes, like people kept citing some information from our prediction list (hey, it's not that reliable but it's fun to use)

Oh, I wasn't thinking of doing a new thread at all, I was thinking of just asking a mod to add a "GAF Poll" to the first post so the data would all be there and anyone posting in the thread could just drop a few votes on who they picked/supported and the forum would handle the rest.

I'm not against your suggestion though. Either way, we should really collect some GAF info.

Crayolan

Lucario is the Pikachu of an entire new generation of kids who grew up with Diamond and Pearl.

It's not like Mewtwo, or gen 1 pokemon in general, fell out of popularity at the time of Brawl. I think it's a fair assumption to see one popular character axed for another and expect that to happen a second time.

TDLink

That would make for an interesting discussion. If you guys had to pick 1 more character from both Sega and Namco for DLC, who would you choose? Honestly, I have no idea who would make a good Sega pick. lol

I don't feel any secondary Namco character would really be iconic enough. That said the 4 likely candidates would be:

Heihachi (Tekken)
Sophitia (Soul Calibur)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of)
Kos-Mos (Xenosaga...only because of Monolithsoft)

For SEGA there are a lot of characters they could choose, though none approaching Sonic's level of notoriety. I would like to see Bayonetta though, especially considering the entire Bayo 2 deal.

Gartooth

Sega, you already know.

Namco, since harada was like no tekken dudes. I dunno, Dig Dug guy?

Oh shit Bayonetta. lol

I dunno about her, personal preference would be to have a more "classic" Sega character even though there isn't as strong of a Nintendo association with a lot of them.

Edit: KOS-MOS would be cool.

Ryce

I don't think I'd pick anyone, actually. Sega's only truly major series is Sonic; none of their other characters are even remotely in the same realm as Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Ryu. The same goes for Namco. Tekken is popular, but I'd prefer if Ryu was the sole representative of the fighting genre. There's a steep decline after Pac-Man and Tekken with series like Tales and Soulcalibur, and I'd rather not see them included either.

Azure J

Honestly, there are a bunch of crazy things in that tally like certain franchise main characters & big 12 members that don't have 100% consensus. Seriously, Kirby, Samus, Fox and Pit weren't locks among however many voters and some subset of people thought Bowser was going to miss this one. :lol

Sega is tough since I can name cool characters, but none of them have a history with Nintendo as strong as Sonic's. I'd probably default to Nights on account of it having a title on Wii and also because another Sonic Team brethren to compliment Sonic himself. Then again, nominating Beat/Gum from Jet Set Radio means the game gets Hideki Naganuma the god himself to compose for the game...

Namco I mentioned before as having a harder time to figure out unless you go for maximum Gamecube/JRPG nostalgia and get Lloyd Irving or one of the more classic (SNES era) Tales protagonists involved.

Most likely another Sonic character.

Likely candidates would be; Tails, Knuckles, Shadow or Dr. Eggman

If there had to be someone other than a Sonic character, I'd think NiGHTS or Bayonetta would have the biggest chance...I think.

Despite not being remotely within the range of Pac-Man's relevancy, my mass bias/love for Tales of Symphonia would compel me to pick Lloyd as another Namco rep if Dawn of the New World/TOS2 didn't exist.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's not like Mewtwo, or gen 1 pokemon in general, fell out of popularity at the time of Brawl. I think it's a fair assumption to see one popular character axed for another and expect that to happen a second time.

Starters no, but Mewtwo didn't really returned to popular consciousness until lately and even then gets overshadowed by a certain lizard.

Pizza

I think if we're keeping with the theme of "each newcomer gets their most iconic incarnation of themselves" then I think it's fair to say we'll be seeing a certain edgy hedgehog shooting guns and riding on motorcycles, just as God intended.

Azure J

I think if we're keeping with the theme of "each newcomer gets their most iconic incarnation of themselves" then I think it's fair to say we'll be seeing a certain edgy hedgehog shooting guns and riding on motorcycles, just as God intended.

I could only imagine the number of "jumped the shark eating the other shark" type posts/threads/youtube videos/articles being written in the event of something like this.

Bayonetta would be a cool pick from SEGA but I get the feeling her entire persona would receive a hard nerf almost to the point of not being Bayo just to meet the rating standard of the game currently.

TDLink

I could only imagine the number of "jumped the shark eating the other shark" type posts/threads/youtube videos/articles being written in the event of something like this.

Bayonetta would be a cool pick from SEGA but I get the feeling her entire persona would receive a hard nerf almost to the point of not being Bayo just to meet the rating standard of the game currently.

If they were to try to make Bayo work they would probably focus on her witch time and shapeshifting abilities, along with non-firearm weapons like the whips, swords, gauntlets, fire/ice throwers, etc. They could keep her spoken dialogue to a minimum or just keep the tongue in cheek stuff that will go over kids' heads like "So you want to play with Bayonetta?"

batfax

Additional SEGA and Namco character? I'm leaning towards PSO for SEGA since it was the only reason to even have the Gamecube's adapter and PSO2 is one of SEGA's biggest games right now, with the series itself going for 25 years. Rico would be good, since she could use each class's abilities, and even if you never formally meet her she provides the entire first episode''s plot.

For Namco it's a bit iffier... a Soul Calibur character, Valkyrie (she seems to always be in Namco's crossovers), or maybe KOS-MOS ('cause heck, Monolith Soft may as well get another character and she DID appear on the DS...) all sound great. Tales is another natural pick, but that just gives an even bigger pool to pick from.

Pizza

I'd be so happy, tbh. Even if wonder red got in, if the gun-toting potty-mouth hedgehog gets in I'll have no choice but to main him.

I'd love to see bayonette get in!! If she is too weirdly proportioned/out of place they could decide to use her Wonderful 101 appearance and play up how silly sexual she is Without it being NC-17

TDLink

Additional SEGA and Namco character? I'm leaning towards PSO for SEGA since it was the only reason to even have the Gamecube's adapter and PSO2 is one of SEGA's biggest games right now, with the series itself going for 25 years. Rico would be good, since she could use each class's abilities, and even if you never formally meet her she provides the entire first episode''s plot.

For Namco it's a bit iffier... a Soul Calibur character, Valkyrie (she seems to always be in Namco's crossovers), or maybe KOS-MOS ('cause heck, Monolith Soft may as well get another character and she DID appear on the DS...) all sound great. Tales is another natural pick, but that just gives an even bigger pool to pick from.

If a Tales of Character got in, then it would definitely be Lloyd. Symphonia is one of the most popular entries in the series and definitely the most popular on Nintendo systems. He wouldn't really be my choice, but I think realistically that is what would happen if that series got a character.

Gartooth

Screw it, gun to my head to say the name of a character for each I'd go with Nightmare or KOS-MOS for Namco and Nights or Joe Musashi for Sega.

Azure J

Oh shit, never thought of KOS-MOS. I'm sure Monolith would be pretty plussed seeing two of their babies playing in Smash as well. :lol

Pizza

Now I know I've overthought Shadow with guns suddenly, so hear me out.

What if shadow was sonic-fast, with Mii Gunner projectile-ish attacks (guns) and his side+b would be busting out his cool motorcycle (wario) while smugly exclaming "I'm the coolest"

What if him and sonic had unique intro "ILL SHOW YOU WHO'S THE REAL FAKE " "HA, you're not even good enough to be MY fake"

oh God I need this.

He'll fly into the background and either yell "Damn" or sadly mumble "Maria..."

CMON SAKURAI GIVE THE SONIC FANS WHAT THEY WANT

Edit: he'd have a down+b chaos control counter too obviously

Gartooth

If a Tales of Character got in, then it would definitely be Lloyd. Symphonia is one of the most popular entries in the series and definitely the most popular on Nintendo systems. He wouldn't really be my choice, but I think realistically that is what would happen if that series got a character.

I should've played the Symphonia port, it sounds like I missed out. I really enjoyed a couple of the Tales games I've played and Yuri Lowell is one of my favorite JRPG protagonists.

TDLink

To be honest I'd rather just get a third Capcom character instead. There's a reason Capcom always does Vs games...they have a huge roster of iconic characters. Probably the largest after Nintendo. SEGA and Namco can't really compete with that.

You could go with someone who has become a mainstay on Nintendo platforms like Phoenix Wright, or someone more old school iconic in the vein of Mega Man and Ryu like Strider or Arthur, or someone more modern but popular like Frank West, Dante, Leon Kennedy, or Amaterasu. There are plenty of characters from other Capcom franchises that could be used as well.

If we start delving into companies that don't have reps in the game yet then we open up the possibility of FF1 characters like Black Mage/White Mage/Red Mage (or Chocobo or Moogle) or Crono for Square. Or Bomberman or Simon Belmont...or yes even bringing Snake back again.

That's all pie in the sky sort of thinking of course, but I'd gladly take any of these characters over the limited and less iconic selection we have from Namco and Sega.

Crayolan

Isn't that Forest Area music from Kirby in the data mine from Amazing Mirror and not Air Ride?

Sounds like it to me. And you know it's in the game right? Plays on the Great Cave Offensive.

To be honest I'd rather just get a third Capcom character instead. There's a reason Capcom always does Vs games...they have a huge roster of iconic characters. Probably the largest after Nintendo. SEGA and Namco can't really compete with that.

Exactly why we need a Nintendo vs. Capcom game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sounds like it to me. And you know it's in the game right? Plays on the Great Cave Offensive.

As part of the medley, yeah. Maybe it has its own song, now?

EDIT: Oh it's the Air Ride version of the song, I thought it was a remix specifically made for Smash 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom