• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

mP6D8R.gif

s71JFzn.jpg

Gartooth

To be honest I'd rather just get a third Capcom character instead. There's a reason Capcom always does Vs games...they have a huge roster of iconic characters. Probably the largest after Nintendo. SEGA and Namco can't really compete with that.

You could go with someone who has become a mainstay on Nintendo platforms like Phoenix Wright, or someone more old school iconic in the vein of Mega Man and Ryu like Strider or Arthur, or someone more modern but popular like Frank West, Dante, Leon Kennedy, or Amaterasu. There are plenty of characters from other Capcom franchises that could be used as well.

This should be saved for Nintendo vs. Capcom. They are (IMO) the two publishers in gaming with the best IP catalogs. Even if the Nintendo cast in that game was the same characters already in Smash it would be incredible to see how they play in a Vs. game.

TDLink

Re: Shadow:

Barring the fact that I think Shadow is where the Sonic franchise started to drastically go downhill (his entire character is really trying too hard to be cool), Shadow just isn't going to happen.

Tails and/or Knuckles come first, that's just how it is. They've been around longer and been in more games and are seen as more iconic of the franchise. I don't think a second character is even necessary, but if one happens...then it should be one of them. Or for a third option, Robotnik/Eggman.

Shadow is just Dark Sonic, except with a pretty lame late-90s extreme attitude. They would never give him his guns either.

TDLink

Exactly why we need a Nintendo vs. Capcom game.

This should be saved for Nintendo vs. Capcom. They are (IMO) the two publishers in gaming with the best IP catalogs. Even if the Nintendo cast in that game was the same characters already in Smash it would be incredible to see how they play in a Vs. game.

Oh yeah absolutely, I would love a Nintendo Vs Capcom. But if we're getting third party characters beyond Ryu, and it's limited to the 3 companies we already have in the game...I don't see the reasoning in make it fair and equal among the companies. It should be what works best for the game and which characters are just flat out better and more popular. Capcom has the IP that fulfills those requirements. I don't think anyone needs to be "saved" for a potential NvC. One doesn't mean the other can't happen.

Pizza

Re: Shadow:

Barring the fact that I think Shadow is where the Sonic franchise started to drastically go downhill (his entire character is really trying too hard to be cool), Shadow just isn't going to happen.

Tails and/or Knuckles come first, that's just how it is. They've been around longer and been in more games and are seen as more iconic of the franchise. I don't think a second character is even necessary, but if one happens...then it should be one of them. Or for a third option, Robotnik/Eggman.

Shadow is just Dark Sonic, except with a pretty lame late-90s extreme attitude. They would never give him his guns either.

No but he's the best kind of 90's edge. And Shadow the Hedgehog would be the best game to pull not-sonic moves from. Giving him "blasters" and a motorcycle alone super diffrentiates him from sonic!

He'd also need "this is WHO I AM" and "I'm the coolest" Taunts.

No but he's the best kind of 90's edge. And Shadow the Hedgehog would be the best game to pull not-sonic moves from. Giving him "blasters" and a motorcycle alone super diffrentiates him from sonic!

He'd also need "this is WHO I AM" and "I'm the coolest" Taunts.

While I'm all for Shadow being playable (he pretty much was made for combat), let's try to avoid giving him weapons, please.

Village

Being around longer don't mean jackus , shitus. Epically when it comes to smash, as far as popularity goes, as I as said before, egg-man will sing you a song about it. . Is your name sonic? No? you aren't as popular.

Not in attitude or in move set. They had a dark sonic, he was the "greatest" sonic character ever, but sadly he was taken away in the comic reboot. I shall make about his " gloriousness" at some other point.

Now I know I've overthought Shadow with guns suddenly, so hear me out.

How shadow should play

See wesker and Virgil from marvel 3.

Were done.

Interesting; I could not feel more oppositely. The ratio of stages I enjoy vs. stages I don't is higher than ever in Smash Wii U - higher than it's been since Smash 64 for me, honestly. Jungle Hijinxs, Duck Hunt, Coliseum, Gamer, Mario Circuit, Windy Hill Zone, Pac-Land, Garden of Hope, Pilotwings, Wuhu Island, Orbital Gate Assault, Mario Galaxy, Mushroom Kingdom U, Skyloft, Wii Fit Studio, Gaur Plain, and Woolly World are all as amazingly fun today as they were the day the game came out, whereas I felt that the majority of the stages in Melee and Brawl got somewhat dull rather quickly. For me at least, part of the fun of Smash and part of being good at it is learning how to anticipate, avoid, and use stage hazards to your advantage. Smash is (or at least should be, IMO) just as much about platforming skill and spatial reasoning as it is about the actual fighting, combos, follow-ups, cross-ups, footsies, etc. But I realize most competitive players don't feel that way.

I haven't played the Wii U version, so I can't talk about the Wii U stages a lot, only from what I've seen.
There's a difference between stage hazards like, say, Halberd's cannons and lift-off/landing sequences, and Magicant's Flying Man, or the Game & Wario stage.

The Wrecking Crew, Duck Hunt or Mario Galaxy stages look good to me, but Orbital Gate Assault looks absolutely awful to me, it's like PokeFloats, but actually terrible.

Maybe you and I have different expectations from Smash Bros., and its stages, but again: In a game where the goal is to beat the opposing player(s) - Smash is after all a fighting game - I feel like a stage that is so incredibly intrusive that the main goal on that stage it to beat the stage, not the other player(s) is completely destructive to that concept.

That said, while I do enjoy traveling stages with dynamic landscapes/platform layouts and stage hazards, I've found that I really can't stand stage bosses. Pyrosphere and Wily Castle (argh, why couldn't the Mega Man stage have been better) are almost unplayable for me on anything other than their Omega versions for that reason.

I can agree with that. Stage bosses, just like random rewards or very specific platforming or "minigames" within the stages are, in my opinion, very unpleasant.

Speaking of Omega versions, if what you're asking for is a large variety of plain areas, I don't see how Smash Wii U isn't a dream come true for you; the Omega stages are literally exactly that. I personally can't stand Omega stages or FD most of the time because they bore me to tears, but they were added to satisfy people exactly like you who prefer those kinds of flat, featureless, no-distractions stages.

Have you even READ what I said? Because if you did, you would realize that I, literally, said that I not only like "flat" stages, but also stages like Shadow Moses Island, Hanenbow - I specifically mentioned those because they're not "flat" or "featureless", and are in fact banned in tournament play. To bring up more examples, I also really like all of the F-Zero stages across the series, Delfino Plaza, Hyrule Castle from 64, the Pokemon Stadiums, all of the Metroid stages across the series (sans Pyrosphere), and many more. Some of those are tournament legal, some of them aren't, but I still like playing on them, and they're everything but featureless. I also don't mind scrolling stages like Rainbow Cruise or the 3DS Kirby's Dream Land stage, either.

There can be more than 2 extremes you know. There can be stages that fall in between crazy bullshit like making a 1v1 into a team fight, or having the stage suddenly flip controls for everybody (or worse, only one person), or the stage suddenly forcing you to stop all movement, etc., and "flat, featureless stages".
Planet Zebes/Brinstar is a perfect example of that. It's an interactive stage, the acid is rising and you can destroy parts of it, changing the landscape of the stage. Pirate Ship is another one - the stage remains unchanged, but various hazards appear, like the cannons in the background. Rainbow Cruise is a scrolling stage where you do have to platform, but the difference is that you actually also have time to hit people, and KO them (where in Mushroomy Kingdom, people will constantly hit the blocks at the top and generally are super hard to kill).

Sadly, all three of my favorite Brawl stages - Pirate Ship, Frigate Orpheon, and Spear Pillar - were cut for Smash 4. I'm hoping at least one of them makes a comeback as DLC... preferably Pirate Ship, if I had to choose just one. The fact that The Wind Waker has no stage representation in Smash Wii U/3DS is just criminal. That they chose to bring back boring-ass Bridge of Eldin over Pirate Ship just blows my mind. :(

Aside from Spear Pillar (I really hate controller inversion and upside down flipping, in any game), I actually agree here. Pirate Ship and Frigate Orhpeon are also MY favorite stages in Brawl.

Gartooth

Oh yeah absolutely, I would love a Nintendo Vs Capcom. But if we're getting third party characters beyond Ryu, and it's limited to the 3 companies we already have in the game...I don't see the reasoning in make it fair and equal among the companies. It should be what works best for the game and which characters are just flat out better and more popular. Capcom has the IP that fulfills those requirements. I don't think anyone needs to be "saved" for a potential NvC. One doesn't mean the other can't happen.

Makes sense, I don't really like to subscribe to the theory that the games have "slots" anyway. Thought it would be interesting though to see others throw out some Namco or Sega character ideas regardless.

Nintendo vs. Capcom would be great although I would hope that there wouldn't be a conflict of interest over the game's roster. Mostly with more violent content from something like Resident Evil, or if the Pokemon Company (who seems to be extremely protective of their image even by Nintendo standards) would prevent Pikachu or Lucario from joining from the start.

Pizza

How shadow should play

See wesker and Virgil from marvel 3.

Were done.

Aw hell yes, sakurai already made Wario "funny" I'd love to see a moveset made from Shadow's own game.

If he was just dripping with edge he'd be perfect! Make him as silly as humanly possibly and I'll be so satisfied.

ffdgh

Aw hell yes, sakurai already made Wario "funny" I'd love to see a moveset made from Shadow's own game.

If he was just dripping with edge he'd be perfect! Make him as silly as humanly possibly and I'll be so satisfied.

Getting hit by a strong attack: damn!
Getting star ko'd: damn! Not here!
Getting blast zoned. Damn It!
victory: This is like taking candy from a baby

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Namco are currently celebrating Taiko's 15th anniversary so it's quite obvious that Namco see this as one of their big names. It was also represented with Pacman's taunt despite the rest of the games represented being older arcade titles.

Coincidently, it's also the 10th anniversary of one of their other big brands and so they are crossing over the two as a celebration, that series being
The iDOLM@STER
. Of course both suffer from being basically Japan only (yes, I am aware of Drum Master on the PS2).

I'd personally love The Prince from Katamari, but with only a DSiWare puzzler as its Nintendo presence it's not exactly a series that shares much history with Nintendo, that and I think Namco has milked that cow to death now so a new Katamari game is unlikely.

Neoxon

Since it's a pretty safe bet that one of the two mystery slots is for Wolf, the last one depends on if they're saving the ballot characters for a second wave or not.

What if Wolf is a ballot character?

I mean, it's obvious he isn't technically, but I imagine they might try and claim he was the most requested vet to return and "look, we used the ballot, we care about your opinion!"

I could see them doing that, and then adding a new comer from the poll and claiming they added two characters from the poll, thanks for your money, no more characters will be added.

Clov

Apart from how awful Shadow is as a character (leading me to believe that anyone seriously suggesting him is celebrating today a little too much), he's already an assist trophy. Before we start rescuing third party reps from assist trophies, there are less silly Nintendo reps to make playable first.

Like Waluigi, and Tingle.

Zombine

Banned
What if Wolf is a ballot character?

I mean, it's obvious he isn't technically, but I imagine they might try and claim he was the most requested vet to return and "look, we used the ballot, we care about your opinion!"

I could see them doing that, and then adding a new comer from the poll and claiming they added two characters from the poll, thanks for your money, no more characters will be added.

Isn't that how all these things go? Something similar happened with Injustice and none of the winning characters got in. We're just going to get previously planned characters and I can see Ryu or whoever the surprise character that they already had planned as the Ballot character.

Village

It's not going to happen. They're Assist Trophies for a reason and to replace their effect with some clone AT would be more work than just picking a non-AT character to make.
Not really in some cases.

The shadow assist trophy are now shadow androids

Done

Asheley assist is just the demon she hang with or a clone she made of herself.

I wouldn't put arbitrary rules bases on shit you dont know anymore. Since sakurai has just been breaking them

Azure J

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on characters who are already Assist Trophies, GAF?

Support them if that's who you want. No one (of note) has said anything to make it not worth showing support and Sakurai is Sakurai. If he wills it, it will happen.

That said, also consider that AT characters probably have their own fair share of considerations/conventions that would have to be shaken up to get a promotion within one gen of Smash. If you throw down votes on them, consider them long term visibility investments versus a short term character inclusion ROI attempt unless Sakurai™ happens.

Edit: Village gets it.

Not really in some cases.

The shadow assist trophy are now shadow androids

Done

Asheley assist is just the demon she hang with or a clone she made of herself.

I wouldn't put arbitrary rules bases on shit you dont know anymore. Since sakurai has just been breaking them

The only assist trophy I think would have a shot is Dark Samus, and maybe Midna, and I can't really think of any way to cleanly clone those ATs. Rundas I guess? That might be kind of odd. And Midna could be Zant I guess? Note that these Assist Trophies now need to come with new trophies that require descriptions explaining what they do and the old trophies for those ATs now need to be re-written to not mention their AT function. Extra work.

That's more work than it seems they'd want to do with DLC. Mewtwo is buggy as hell and has no customs, you think they'd want to basically make an entire new Assist Trophy just to add a C Tier Nintendo character as DLC? It's more work than grabbing from the large poll of not AT characters at not really much benefit.

Now I know I've overthought Shadow with guns suddenly, so hear me out.

What if shadow was sonic-fast, with Mii Gunner projectile-ish attacks (guns) and his side+b would be busting out his cool motorcycle (wario) while smugly exclaming "I'm the coolest"

What if him and sonic had unique intro "ILL SHOW YOU WHO'S THE REAL FAKE " "HA, you're not even good enough to be MY fake"

oh God I need this.

He'll fly into the background and either yell "Damn" or sadly mumble "Maria..."

CMON SAKURAI GIVE THE SONIC FANS WHAT THEY WANT

Edit: he'd have a down+b chaos control counter too obviously

mother_of_god__knuckles__by_3xtrapony-d58mohy.gif

If we are getting another sonic rep, it better be KNUCKLES.

PaintFight.gif

Why do so many people advocating for another Sega character always default to another Sonic character? :lol

We wouldn't see a Shenmue Rep, no Nights, or Ristar... I'd mention classic sega characters but they are owned by other companies (Vector Man, Gunstar Heroes)... I doubt we would see a Phantasy Star rep.... maybe PSZero if we did...

Sonic has the best kinds of characters for a sega game.

Could you recommend some other realistic sega chracters then? I'd like to know some.

Why do so many people advocating for another Sega character always default to another Sonic character? :lol

mainly because it's the smallest step down when it comes to worldwide popularity, outside of their licensed properties. being frank, there aren't many sega characters who are recognized on the same level as pac-man, ryu, or even mega man.

if we're talking hopes isolated from reason, because lots of people like sonic characters

Zalman

I wish more wishlists had actual Nintendo characters. Most of the buzz I'm seeing is of third-party stuff with no chance of appearing in Smash.

Azure J

Thats the one that alot of people actually only care about.

Like I wish , people gave more of a shit about jet set radio.

My question was probably half genuine curiosity, half wondering if Sega really only has Sonic as a "superstar" level franchise. The replies here kinda answered that much for me though.

Also, Jet Set Radio is the best franchise no one does stuff with. :(

I wish more wishlists had actual Nintendo characters. Most of the buzz I'm seeing is of third-party stuff with no chance of appearing in Smash.

Well when people consider interesting but non-titan franchise leading Nintendo characters C tier in their heads and no one denies the allure of my favorite video game character ever vs. Nintendo, it's no wonder this is a thing. :p

Village

My question was probably half genuine curiosity, half wondering if Sega really only has Sonic as a "superstar" level franchise. The replies here kinda answered that much for me though.

Also, Jet Set Radio is the best franchise no one does stuff with. :(

They have other popular franchises but do you honestly want the total war and foot ball manager guy in smash?

They don't really have anything on consoles that is sonic level, there are plenty of things I wish got that big. Valkyria chronicles, JSR, Billy Hatcher, Space Channel 5, Pretty much everyone in sonic and sega all stars games, who aren't pc specific, but none of them hit really.

Thats why sonic and friends get top billing, thats why a lot of people are buying that game

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on characters who are already Assist Trophies, GAF?

Basically, I would let people vote for whatever they want to vote. It's plausible that they could use the datas for next generation Smash.

They could simply disable the code if one of those assist trophy become playable character but the chance is still unlikely tho. However if you really want to see one of those assist trophy become playable character, then VOTE FOR THAT CHARACTER because it might increase their chance in the future.

There's a reason Ray and Isaac weren't Assist Trophies this time #believe.

What if they are not worthy to be in Smash franchise so that's why they are gone. Also there is no signs of them as trophies or anything. OR they are doing Assist Trophies DLC.

Well when people consider interesting but non-titan franchise leading Nintendo characters C tier in their heads and no one denies the allure of my favorite video game character ever vs. Nintendo, it's no wonder this is a thing. :p

When I'm thinking about it. I think Takamaru would be very interesting character in Nintendo Vs. Capcom. Imagine how his moveset would be in the game.

I know, right? All I want is some more DK representation and I'll be happy. If I was forced to vote for a third party character, I'd go with Rayman. His trophy is already in the game. That automatically puts him ahead of other "candidates" like Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc.

Oberon

Banned
KOS-MOS is pretty lewd tho

kosmostelos5npze.gif

That's a really inconvenient way to arm yourself.

edit: was there 1 frame animation of her butt? How did she turn around that fast?

I know, right? All I want is some more DK representation and I'll be happy. If I was forced to vote for a third party character, I'd go with Rayman. His trophy is already in the game. That automatically puts him ahead of other "candidates" like Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc.

I thought Shantae orginated on the gameboy colour, so there's a conntection with nintendo in some way ( since she existed before she was known as an indie tite)
I thought it was kind of weird that they put a 3D model of Rayman instead of a 2D like in recent games.

Edit: OT, but how did you get that tag if I may ask?

"Puts him ahead" in what sense? Granted, I don't think Shovel Knight or especially Shantae are likely choices at all but it's not as if being featured in the game in some way is considered being a step closer to an actual playable character, especially when there's the distinct possibility that Ryu could be our next third party fighter.

I also don't think it somehow makes him more fitting, either.

TDLink

Isn't that how all these things go? Something similar happened with Injustice and none of the winning characters got in. We're just going to get previously planned characters and I can see Ryu or whoever the surprise character that they already had planned as the Ballot character.

The winner of the injustice poll did get in. It was zatanna. And while not part of a poll, Martian manhunter was requested a ton pre-release and they made it happen.

Javier

"Puts him ahead" in what sense? Granted, I don't think Shovel Knight or especially Shantae are likely choices at all but it's not as if being featured in the game in some way is considered being a step closer to an actual playable character, especially when there's the distinct possibility that Ryu could be our next third party fighter.

I seriously wonder if making a Rayman amiibo is what's keeping him out of Smash.

I'm sure it's not the only reason, but it sure as hell doesn't help.

Sponge

Banned

Well, the fact that they already worked out a deal to get him in the game in some form means it can't be much harder to get him playable. That's what has him slightly ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom