• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the fact that they already worked out a deal to get him in the game in some form means it can't be much harder to get him playable. That's what has him slightly ahead.
I'm not sure how hard it is for Nintendo to make a deal with any third party company to begin with, looking at how many small devs want people to vote for their characters in the ballot.

I don't want to make assumptions on how Nintendo operates, but most third party fighters came to be when Nintendo approached their owners, who readily agreed. Nintendo approached Capcom about Mega Man, SEGA about Sonic, and Miyamoto personally wanted Pacman. They might have even done the same thing with regards to Ryu.

Commander Video has a trophy as well.
tumblr_nelbs2m5Pg1scvb4io1_400.png

I don't think very many people consider him high on Nintendo's list, as cool as that would be.

Neoxon

The winner of the injustice poll did get in. It was zatanna. And while not part of a poll, Martian manhunter was requested a ton pre-release and they made it happen.
We also got the 2nd place winner, Static, in the mobile version recently.

kirby_fox

Banned
Seeing the Sega Miku thread made me laugh that Miku could end up in Smash

Not to disappoint certain Miku fans...but considering it's a character created and being used as a musician mostly and only being featured in games, you'd have about as much of a chance as adding Elvis or Paul McCartney.

What kind of data have we discovered in terms of potential DLC stages? I imagine they'd be keen to bring back some past stages cause of how easy it'd be.

L Thammy

I think people tend to put an undue focus on characters that are recent just because it's on their memory. Not to say that they're bad characters or anything, but it is kind of funny when you have people voting for characters whose games aren't even out yet.

On that note. Does anyone know exactly what dates the Brawl character poll was running through? Brawl happened at nearly the same time as vanilla Street Fighter IV, which was the first new Street Fighter game in about ten years. I think it's possible that Ryu was a popular vote if simply because he was fresh on the memory at the time.

batfax

Why do so many people advocating for another Sega character always default to another Sonic character? :lol

No idea, but it's probably SEGA's fault. I kinda feel that modern SEGA's biggest non-Sonic series are probably Phantasy Star and Yakuza, but it's a bit of a weird situation because they don't really push either series outside Japan. It's been YEARS since PSO2 launched and is still one of Sega of Japan's biggest games but the US still hasn't seen it and probably never will.

I guess Miku too, but I don't think they actually own her.

Oh god, listening to the Star Wolf theme just now makes me really dread the idea that Wolf might not be DLC.

He's such a cool character and his theme is amazing (and in the game 3 times lol). He was robbed in Smash 4 as a stock character, I'd really, really hate for them to do so well with bringing back fan favorites only to screw up and neglect Wolf.

:(

L Thammy

Another Sonic would be pretty lame. I'm not really sure what other Sega character could get an extraordinary reaction though. Sonic's special because he's the face of Sega, and Mario Vs. Sonic is sort of a nineties kid dream matchup. Who else could get that? Alex Kidd was Sega's old mascot, but I don't think anyone cares.

Neiteio

Oh god, listening to the Star Wolf theme just now makes me really dread the idea that Wolf might not be DLC.

He's such a cool character and his theme is amazing (and in the game 3 times lol). He was robbed in Smash 4 as a stock character, I'd really, really hate for them to do so well with bringing back fan favorites only to screw up and neglect Wolf.

Yeah, I'm hopeful they'll bring back Wolf. But I'll also count my blessings and be thankful they brought back Mewtwo, who is AMAZING.

Neiteio

If they include another Starfox character, I would rather it be Krystal. She would at least have a unique moveset while Wolf would just be another clone.
All of Wolf's standards (20 something moves) are different from Fox and Falco. Only his four specials are similar, and only superficially at that.

Wolf is hardly a "clone."

I'm very confident about Wolf. If they're going to the lengths to bring back Roy and Lucas, I think they'll give Wolf a shot. I think everyone is taking this Roy and Ryu data much too gravely. Those two might not even be the next DLC characters revealed, or even the ones with the most work already done on them after Lucas.

I'm guessing we'll have:

Lucas
Roy
Ryu
Wolf
Newcomer (Poll or otherwise) x 2

Personal picks for newcomers for me are Chorus Kids and Inklings.

Also time for my daily Ice Climbers soapbox (indulge me please):

It seems that the question a lot of people have with breaking roster parity for the ICs is "Why would they spend money developing a character for the version that sold the least?" Well, my answer to that would be, they don't have to really spend all that much money (theoretically, admittedly). Sakurai has said that they had the ICs working on Wii U. My guess (a big guess I suppose) would be that Sakurai actually had them complete on Wii U. He completed them for Wii U, had them up and running, and continued to try to get them working on the 3DS. Ultimately, he couldn't, and he had to scrap the (at least partially complete) character from the Wii U version.

So that begs the question: How complete was the character and how much work would it really take to release Ice Climbers for Wii U? I would suppose that the investment would be insubstantial enough that the number of people who purchase the DLC would be an overall gain for Nintendo. I think the demand for the character is there, especially since people are so adamant that they're downright impossible.

I won't make any assertions that the scenario I've described is necessarily likely, but I do think it's within the realm of possibility.

Also dear god I need the Ice Climbers back. They were one of my favorites in Melee and Brawl, and the Smash 4 roster feels so incomplete without them :'( If they came back, any other DLC would be gravy for me.

If they include another Starfox character, I would rather it be Krystal. She would at least have a unique moveset while Wolf would just be another clone.

The Sarcastic Dude

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
If we were to get another Namco Bandai character, I would settle for no less than this:

Nightmare03.png

"Souls...give me strength!"

Soul Calibur got Link as a guest character, I think it's time for Bamco to pay up the tab and give us Nightmare for Smash. Imagine the insane reach and power of his Soul Edge or smacking people around with his giant claw.

I say this because I thought someone mentioned Sophitia a while back. Of all the characters from the Soul series, Nightmare would be the best choice. I mean hell Nightmare is the frickin' logo of Project Soul, the Soul Calibur Devs.

kirby_fox

Banned
How many of you all actually played as Wolf as a main in Brawl? Just curious what the actual use of him was among those who'd like him back.

Though I'd like to see him return, it's kind of a Mewtwo situation. I never really used Mewtwo all that much, but I really hate to see characters cut. No one I played with used Wolf unless we were choosing random and given Wolf.

The character who starred in one game? A game that was multi-platform, no less?

A game that launched exclusively on Nintendo Consoles/handhelds long before other console/handheld platforms. A game that is designed specifically around paying homage to Nintendo.

Does he really stand that much of a chance? Probably not, but don't write it off like it doesn't make sense. Shovel Knight in Smash would make plenty of sense.

Ryce

How many of you all actually played as Wolf as a main in Brawl? Just curious what the actual use of him was among those who'd like him back.

Though I'd like to see him return, it's kind of a Mewtwo situation. I never really used Mewtwo all that much, but I really hate to see characters cut. No one I played with used Wolf unless we were choosing random and given Wolf.
Wolf was my most used character in Brawl (or second to Toon Link, I don't remember the actual statistics).

Village

Wolf Lucario and Wario were my mains

Wolf was my main during my brief stint of Project M, which made me appreciate him more and made me want to use him in Smash 4... but then he never came back.

But for me it doesn't matter whether I used them or not. I'm super obsessed with making sure every vet in the series who has the reasonable ability to return, returns.

Ryce

Does he really stand that much of a chance? Probably not, but don't write it off like it doesn't make sense. Shovel Knight in Smash would make plenty of sense.
This isn't an indictment on the quality of the game, but Shovel Knight is legitimately one of the few commonly requested characters I would say makes zero sense at all. He has one indie game that didn't even release in Japan. Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu... and Shovel Knight — you see how absurd that looks, right?

ffdgh

He's the best space animal for me gameplay wise. Loved that side smash.

This isn't an indictment on the quality of the game, but Shovel Knight is legitimately one of the few characters I would say makes zero sense at all. He has one indie game that didn't even release in Japan. Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu... and Shovel Knight — you see how absurd that looks, right?

I'm not advocating for Shovel Knight, I'm just saying Shovel Knight isn't that strange, especially if you're going to bring up brand new indie characters to have a brand new star alongside all the classic icons. He has more ties to Nintendo than essentially any other indie character. I don't think he deserves a spot yet, but I also don't think he's a ridiculous suggestion.

Quote is probably the only indie that would stand any sort of chance, but nobody mentions him for some reason.

The first console release of Cave Story was on a Nintendo system and it's basically the official system of Cave Story, a game that's fairly well known and iconic as an indie game that turned big time.

And it was released in Japan.

Quote still has no chance at all

kirby_fox

Banned
Wolf was my main during my brief stint of Project M, which made me appreciate him more and made me want to use him in Smash 4... but then he never came back.

But for me it doesn't matter whether I used them or not. I'm super obsessed with making sure every vet in the series who has the reasonable ability to return, returns.

...even Young Link and Pichu?

Because I'm OK with that if they gave Young Link some different weapons.

...even Young Link and Pichu?

Because I'm OK with that if they gave Young Link some different weapons.

Pichu yes

Young Link was never cut from Smash, so why would I want him back? He's my main in Smash 4!

The only characters I have given up on returning are Snake and Ice Climbers. Other than that, if the rest of the DLC is literally nothing but vets, I couldn't be happier.

Wolf was my brother's main in Brawl, so I want him back just to play against his Wolf again.

Pichu yes

Young Link was never cut from Smash, so why would I want him back? He's my main in Smash 4!

The only characters I have given up on returning are Snake and Ice Climbers. Other than that, if the rest of the DLC is literally nothing but vets, I couldn't be happier.

I just can't get into having Pichu back. I think that's literally the only vet I wouldn't want back.

I just can't get into having Pichu back. I think that's literally the only vet I wouldn't want back.

He's easy to bring back, reps a generation of Pokemon not yet repped and reps a level of Pokemon not yet repped (babies).

Also he's adorable. Dawwwww his crouch

The fact that he could have Plusle and Minun as alt skins is also a huge draw for me, as that's yet another generation of Pokemon repped AND an unused character from Brawl making an appearence.

Neoxon

I'm very confident about Wolf. If they're going to the lengths to bring back Roy and Lucas, I think they'll give Wolf a shot. I think everyone is taking this Roy and Ryu data much too gravely. Those two might not even be the next DLC characters revealed, or even the ones with the most work already done on them after Lucas.

I'm guessing we'll have:

Lucas
Roy
Ryu
Wolf
Newcomer (Poll or otherwise) x 2

Personal picks for newcomers for me are Chorus Kids and Inklings.

Also time for my daily Ice Climbers soapbox (indulge me please):

It seems that the question a lot of people have with breaking roster parity for the ICs is "Why would they spend money developing a character for the version that sold the least?" Well, my answer to that would be, they don't have to really spend all that much money (theoretically, admittedly). Sakurai has said that they had the ICs working on Wii U. My guess (a big guess I suppose) would be that Sakurai actually had them complete on Wii U. He completed them for Wii U, had them up and running, and continued to try to get them working on the 3DS. Ultimately, he couldn't, and he had to scrap the (at least partially complete) character from the Wii U version.

So that begs the question: How complete was the character and how much work would it really take to release Ice Climbers for Wii U? I would suppose that the investment would be insubstantial enough that the number of people who purchase the DLC would be an overall gain for Nintendo. I think the demand for the character is there, especially since people are so adamant that they're downright impossible.

I won't make any assertions that the scenario I've described is necessarily likely, but I do think it's within the realm of possibility.

Also dear god I need the Ice Climbers back. They were one of my favorites in Melee and Brawl, and the Smash 4 roster feels so incomplete without them :'( If they came back, any other DLC would be gravy for me.
  • The 5 extra characters thing is counting Lucas, leaving 2 mystery slots. We're both in agreement that one of those slots is probably for Wolf, but the second slot is where it can be debated, leading into my next point.
  • The last slot, like I said before, will depend on if these 6 will include any of the ballot characters. If not, then I'd say either the Chorus Kids or the Inklings (though I'm more on the Chorus Kids' side since they have evidence proving they were previously worked on). If the last slot is reserved for the ballot characters, it'll be for the winner (similar to how NRS added Zatanna to Injustice after she won their respective ballot). My gut is telling me it's for the ballot winner seeing as Sakurai stated that he couldn't add very many characters. 6 is a plausible number for Sakurai to end on before he moves on to his next project (or a vacation).
  • The way the characters are distributed is that they'll be available for both versions, so roster parity will likely be a thing. And to be honest, only the hardcore fans & the competitive scene would buy the Ice Climbers, & them being only on one version doesn't really help. We're better off waiting for the Ice Climbers to return in the next Smash game, because as it stands now they aren't worth the effort from a logical standpoint (unless they were altered to better work on the 3DS). I personally have made peace with this, the rest of you should do the same.

Neiteio

Wolf was my brother's main in Brawl, so I want him back just to play against his Wolf again.
Wolf certainly has a lot going for him.

• Wolf has a future in videogames: Sakurai has said before that he prioritizes characters who have a future, or in other words, characters from series that will remain relevant with new installments. There is a new Star Fox game coming out this year. Of course, Sakurai said this, yet we have Lucas as the next DLC character. ;-)
  • Wolf may be easier to recreate: Sakurai has said that even veterans have to be recreated from scratch. However, some are easier than others, such as those who appeared in Brawl. Sakurai has said that recreating characters from Melee is difficult. Of course, Sakurai said this, yet we now have Mewtwo, and Roy (FE) is in development. ;-)
  • Wolf appeared in Brawl: SSBB is one of the bestselling fighting games in history. Many people who played the Wii game are now familiar with Wolf. Sakurai knows this and he knows the character must have its fans.
  • Wolf is a unique character: Most (if not all) of Wolf's standard attacks are unique, and his four specials are only superficially similar to Fox and Falco. He is less of a Fox clone than Falco. In many ways, he's hardly a clone at all.
  • Wolf is relevant to the 3DS audience: Thanks to his appearance in the remake Star Fox 64 3D, Wolf is a character who would be familiar to many 3DS players.
  • Wolf is relevant to the WiiU audience: Miyamoto himself is overseeing a new Star Fox for WiiU. The prototype demo at E3 even had Wolf. That could change, of course, but the point is, Star Fox is coming to WiiU and could sell Wolf in SSB, and vice-versa. And you know Sakurai knows.
  • Wolf's theme is in SSB4: Multiple times, in fact. If I recall correctly, you can hear the Star Wolf theme in three different forms in SSB4. A small detail, but neat nonetheless.
  • Wolf is a "cool" character: Subjective, of course, but like I've said before: Your average child (one of Nintendo's target demographics) will see him and think he looks cool. He's a goddam werewolf Vegeta. What's not to love?

He's easy to bring back, reps a generation of Pokemon not yet repped and reps a level of Pokemon not yet repped (babies).

Also he's adorable. Dawwwww his crouch

The fact that he could have Plusle and Minun as alt skins is also a huge draw for me, as that's yet another generation of Pokemon repped AND an unused character from Brawl making an appearence.

This is a really weird mental block for me, but having multiple pokemon per evolutionary line would irk me. It's a really arbitrary thing, but I dunno. It was the same for me in melee.

I'd almost just rather have Plusle and Minun as a Pikachu clone (separate, with alts like you suggest) and skip Pichu altogether. It is cute though.

Neiteio

Man, Pichu would be easy money for Nintendo. Especially if it came with Plusle and Minun alts. I imagine that at least The Pokemon Company is rubbing their mitts with $$$ signs in their eyes.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who actually played Pichu second most (Pikachu first and Bowser third, yes I know 2 of 3 of those are garbage tier but I didn't even know about tier lists, competitions, or any of that crap back then, which was when Smash was at its best for me), I don't see Pichu coming back. In fact, if there was any "freebie" character they'd just sneak into the roster for any reason, it would likely be Pichu. I will give the baby pokemon one thing though, he's more likely than Young Link, because we have 2 Links already, and Toon Link will always be Young Link in my eyes. I just don't think Pichu would be a really big sell. Not anywhere near Mewtwo, or even Squirtle and Ivysaur. I'd MUCH rather have Ivysaur back than Pichu, or even Squirtle. Preference to Ivysaur, because we already have a water type in Greninja, and we need our Grass type and it feels weird not having him.

*GASP*

What if those 5 empty spaces (including Lucas as one of them) has the following characters:

Mewtwo
Lucas
Ryu
Roy
Wolf
Ivysaur

As characters that are already being worked on prior to the ballot? I'm only saying that because Ivysaur had a really unique anti-air moveset, and I think he could be changed up quite a bit now being free from Pokemon Trainer. I realize Charizard didn't change up too drastically much to his disservice (he needs more fucking jumps damnit, he has the worst vertical recovery and no Glide to compensate, at least on Dedede level) but who knows for Ivysaur.

Edit: I would not mind Pichu being back at all. Heck, I'd probably play him quite a bit because I mostly play Pikachu these days anyway, and Plusle and Minun alts sound like a no brainer, I just don't think he has much of a shot.

Golnei

They'd probably be one of the few veterans I'd rather didn't return, along with the original Young Link and Roy - though Pichu still would be preferable to those, if only because they'd only represent the second incarnation of their moveset.

I'm picturing a hybrid of Hibiki from Capcom vs. SNK 2, Silver Samurai from MvC2 and Amaterasu and it's glorious.

As amazing as that'd be, it seems more likely that his actual chances in a hypothetical NvC would amount to being a palette swap for either Vergil or Strider Hiryu...

I mostly had the same experience - PM Wolf is probably the only space animal I actually enjoy using.

In a battle between Ridley and Smaug, who would win?

Ridley. He can break physics and fly in space, outfights an entire Galactic civilization, he survives being blown up in the original Metroid (although needing to become a mechanical cyborg by Metroid Prime), gets blown up AGAIN, is fine, gets dissolved into Phazon, and then in the next game he is 100% fine, flying through space and stealing the aforementioned Galactic civilization's most guarded prize, the last Metroid. The only thing to show what he went through? He's purple instead of black. Ridley is only killed by being blown up and then the planet his microscopic pieces are on is blown up as well.

Smaug is limited to the atmosphere, and getting an arrow through the heart will kill him along with anything else "normally lethal". Blowing Smaug to pieces will not result in him just showing up later on perfectly fine.

• The 5 extra characters thing is counting Lucas, leaving 2 mystery slots. We're both in agreement that one of those slots is probably for Wolf, but the second slot is where it can be debated, leading into my next point.
  • The last slot, like I said before, will depend on if these 6 will include any of the ballot characters. If not, then I'd say either the Chorus Kids or the Inklings (though I'm more on the Chorus Kids' side since they have evidence proving they were previously worked on). If the last slot is reserved for the ballot characters, it'll be for the winner (similar to how NRS added Zatanna to Injustice after she won their respective ballot). My gut is telling me it's for the ballot winner seeing as Sakurai stated that he couldn't add very many characters. 6 is a plausible number for Sakurai to end on before he moves on to his next project (or a vacation).
  • The way the characters are distributed is that they'll be available for both versions, so roster parity will likely be a thing. And to be honest, only the hardcore fans & the competitive scene would buy the Ice Climbers, & them being only on one version doesn't really help. We're better off waiting for the Ice Climbers to return in the next Smash game, because as it stands now they aren't worth the effort from a logical standpoint. I personally have made peace with this, the rest of you should do the same.

Oh okay, so yeah I would remove Inkling and just have Chorus Kids or a poll character.

And I'll never give up on Ice Climbers. NEVER. I need them in the game for it to have the best roster ever for me, especially since the chance of the next Smash not having cuts is slim to none.

Neoxon

As someone who actually played Pichu second most (Pikachu first and Bowser third, yes I know 2 of 3 of those are garbage tier but I didn't even know about tier lists, competitions, or any of that crap back then, which was when Smash was at its best for me), I don't see Pichu coming back. In fact, if there was any "freebie" character they'd just sneak into the roster for any reason, it would likely be Pichu. I will give the baby pokemon one thing though, he's more likely than Young Link, because we have 2 Links already, and Toon Link will always be Young Link in my eyes. I just don't think Pichu would be a really big sell. Not anywhere near Mewtwo, or even Squirtle and Ivysaur. I'd MUCH rather have Ivysaur back than Pichu, or even Squirtle. Preference to Ivysaur, because we already have a water type in Greninja, and we need our Grass type and it feels weird not having him.

*GASP*

What if those 5 empty spaces (including Lucas as one of them) has the following characters:

Mewtwo
Lucas
Ryu
Roy
Wolf
Ivysaur

As characters that are already being worked on prior to the ballot? I'm only saying that because Ivysaur had a really unique anti-air moveset, and I think he could be changed up quite a bit now being free from Pokemon Trainer. I realize Charizard didn't change up too drastically much to his disservice (he needs more fucking jumps damnit, he has the worst vertical recovery and no Glide to compensate, at least on Dedede level) but who knows for Ivysaur.
This is just pure speculation on my part, but I'm pretty sure the last slot after Wolf takes his will be for a newcomer. They have such a good pattern going (2 Melee, Hopefully 2 Brawl, & Hopefully 2 Newcomers). If that newcomer will be a result of the ballot remains to be seen.

He was my second most played character in Brawl after Ike.

If he doesn't come back after they chose to bring back Lucas and fucking ROY, I'm going to be livid. I'm normally very accepting of the roster decisions devs make, but this is one case where I just wouldn't understand it. With Lucas coming back and Star Fox Wii U on the horizon, Sakurai can't even use the "He's low priority because his series is dead" excuse.

Pichu, like most vets, is popular in Japan, so it'd probably sell alright.
This is just pure speculation on my part, but I'm pretty sure the last slot after Wolf takes his will be for a newcomer. They have such a good pattern going (2 Melee, Hopefully 2 Brawl, & Hopefully 2 Newcomers). If that newcomer will be a result of the ballot remains to be seen.
This is exactly the pattern I think they're going for. Even in order Melee->Brawl->New,
so
Mewtwo->Lucas->Ryu->Roy->Wolf->Poll Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom