• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby_fox

Banned
As characters that are already being worked on prior to the ballot? I'm only saying that because Ivysaur had a really unique anti-air moveset, and I think he could be changed up quite a bit now being free from Pokemon Trainer. I realize Charizard didn't change up too drastically much to his disservice (he needs more fucking jumps damnit, he has the worst vertical recovery and no Glide to compensate, at least on Dedede level) but who knows for Ivysaur.

Wouldn't squirtle be the more popular choice? When looking at Pokemon Trainer, it made sense to have Charizard, it made sense to have Squirtle and Ivysaur was the only one left if they wanted to choose one from each of the evolutions. Ivysaur was a very odd pick to include as a player in retrospect.

Neoxon

Oh okay, so yeah I would remove Inkling and just have Chorus Kids or a poll character.

And I'll never give up on Ice Climbers. NEVER. I need them in the game for it to have the best roster ever for me, especially since the chance of the next Smash not having cuts is slim to none.
Every single character in or is coming to Smash 4 has no technological limitations holding them back. And even then, any characters removed due to time constraints could be added back in as DLC. And unless Nintendo's relations go south with either Sega, Namco, or Capcom like they did for Konami, the third party characters are safe. But given the fact that Sega & Nintendo are BFFs right now, the fact that Nintendo works with Capcom on getting the mainline Monster Hunter games over to the States, & Nintendo's development partnership with Namco (Smash 4, Pokkén Tournament, Wii Sports Club, etc.), I think the third party character we have along with the incoming Ryu are safe.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
This is just pure speculation on my part, but I'm pretty sure the last slot after Wolf takes his will be for a newcomer. They have such a good pattern going (2 Melee, Hopefully 2 Brawl, & Hopefully 2 Newcomers). If that newcomer will be a result of the ballot remains to be seen.

Call it wishful thinking on my part. I'd just be stoked to see Ivysaur back. Back in Brawl my mind was blown when I seen the Pokemon Trainer revealed in the Dojo because Charizard in Smash was my dream as a kid. In Brawl, as much as I loved Charizard, I even knew he wasn't all that great, but Ivysaur was neat as hell to use, even if I prefered to skip past Squirtle because I didn't jive with his moveset. I got standalone Charizard in Smash 4 so I really should be set for characters, but I'd campaign for Ivysaur if I didn't already sell my soul to K Rool.

Wouldn't squirtle be the more popular choice? When looking at Pokemon Trainer, it made sense to have Charizard, it made sense to have Squirtle and Ivysaur was the only one left if they wanted to choose one from each of the evolutions. Ivysaur was a very odd pick to include as a player in retrospect.

I know. I just liked Ivysaur for his unique style. In retrospect, no way Ivysaur would ever be in Smash if not for the Pokemon Trainer, same could be said about the other two with maybe Charizard as an exception due to him being part of the super star trio of Gen 1 Pokemon (Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard)

Actually I'd probably refrain from buying Pichu if Plusle and Minun alts weren't included.

jk I'll buy literally any Smash DLC ever

Every single character in or is coming to Smash 4 has no technological limitations holding them back. And even then, any characters removed due to time constraints could be added back in as DLC. And unless Nintendo's relations go south with either Sega, Namco, or Capcom like they did for Konami, the third party characters are safe. But given the fact that Sega & Nintendo are BFFs right now, the fact that Nintendo works with Capcom on getting the mainline Monster Hunter games over to the States, & Nintendo's development partnership with Namco (Smash 4, Pokkén Tournament, Wii Sports Club, etc.), I think the third party character we have along with the incoming Ryu are safe.

I'm mostly concerned with time cuts that go unaddressed in DLC. Each Smash is really a tenuous kind of situation. If I can be sure that this utterly brilliant roster will remain perfectly in tact for Smash 5, then I can wait for Ice Climbers.

But I prefer them now pls

Neoxon

Y'know what character I'd love to be back?

That's right, stages.
I hope to god that Dream Land 64 isn't only on the 3DS. The 3DS version went the way of the dinosaurs competitively, & adding such a popular tournament-legal stage as a 3DS-exclusive would be the textbook definition of a waste.

The only thing with Dreamland returning, Dreamland 64 on the Wii U would mean there would be 3 stages with the same layout with only minor differences, Battlefield, Miiverse and Dreamland 64.

I don't know if they'd want to do that, although Melee had Battlefield, FoD and Dreamland 64 with roughly the same layouts and it was fine.

I hope to god that Dream Land 64 isn't only on the 3DS. The 3DS version went the way of the dinosaurs competitively, & adding such a popular tournament-legal stage as a 3DS-exclusive would be the textbook definition of a waste.

I'm not a competitive player at all, but I'll agree with you just cause I like Dream Land 64. ^_~

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing with Dreamland returning, Dreamland 64 on the Wii U would mean there would be 3 stages with the same layout with only minor differences, Battlefield, Miiverse and Dreamland 64.

I don't know if they'd want to do that, although Melee had Battlefield, FoD and Dreamland 64 with roughly the same layouts and it was fine.

At the very least, there would be another competitively viable stage which people are clamoring for.

Stages I'd like to see return:

Pokémon Stadium
Fourside
Fountain of Dreams
Big Blue (w/MK8 music PLEASE)
Brinstar Depths (might be alone here)
Great Bay

Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
New Pork City (not a great stage but would be better for 8 player smashes, plus more Mother love)
Summit (even if the Ice Climbers don't return :/)

Plus port some stages from 3DS to Wii U like:

Pac Maze
Magicant
Paper Mario
Balloon Fight
N's Castle (not likely but holy shit I want to see this stage in HD)

Making those lists reminded me of how many Brawl stages got reused. Huh.

Stages I'd like to see return:

Pokémon Stadium
Fourside
Fountain of Dreams
Big Blue (w/MK8 music PLEASE)
Brinstar Depths (might be alone here)
Great Bay

Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
New Pork City (not a great stage but would be better for 8 player smashes, plus more Mother love)
Summit (even if the Ice Climbers don't return :/)

Plus port some stages from 3DS to Wii U like:

Pac Maze
Magicant
Paper Mario
Balloon Fight
N's Castle (not likely but holy shit I want to see this stage in HD)

Making those lists reminded me of how many Brawl stages got reused. Huh.

No Smash 64?

Or did you leave it out cause naturally anyone would want every 64 stage by default?

I think Wolf and Inkling are the most likely next 2 characters. It'd be a crime to not give Splatoon healthy free advertising.

But honestly, I'll be happy with any DLC characters that Sakurai chooses. Except for Roy. Like. Why.

Neoxon

You realize the bounding box for Dream Land 64 is completely different from Battlefield, right? It's gigantic, which is why it benefits certain match-ups. Plus there's the wind to factor in, which is easily the best stage hazard in Smash ever (it's significant enough to be game-changing, but not big enough to be intrusive like most other stage hazards).

I think Wolf and Inkling are the most likely next 2 characters. It'd be a crime to not give Splatoon healthy free advertising.

But honestly, I'll be happy with any DLC characters that Sakurai chooses. Except for Roy. Like. Why.
The Inklings depend on a number of factors.

• Is that last slot reserved for a ballot character?
  • If not, there's the Chorus Kids to consider, who have already been worked on. Splatoon would be too new of a franchise by the time of its theoretical DLC release & could be potentially saved for Smash 5.

No Smash 64?

Or did you leave it out cause naturally anyone would want every 64 stage by default?

SHIT

I knew I was forgetting something.

Hyrule Castle
Saffron City
Princess Peach's Castle
Yoshi's Island

I like both 64 and Melee Whispy Woods :/

I would appreciate some touched up backgrounds for 64 stages. Kongo Jungle's looked fine but some others wouldn't fare so well in HD I think.

Do any of you think there's a chance we'll ever get to purchase costumes as DLC for the characters? I'd be perfectly content with a proper Daisy skin for Peach.

Gleethor

It's not really in Nintendo's best interest to make any paid DLC platform exclusive since it limits the sales potential, unless people are buying DLC on one platform way more than the other. 3DS has the numbers advantage but Wii U probably has more hardcore players (that are still playing smash), so I'd guess that the number of people buying DLC is pretty similar on both platforms.

The only exception I could see happening is if they wanted to sell 3DS stages on Wii U and vice versa.

The Inklings depend on a number of factors.

• Is that last slot reserved for a ballot character?
  • If not, there's the Chorus Kids to consider, who have already been worked on. Splatoon would be too new of a franchise by the time of its theoretical DLC release & could be potentially saved for Smash 5.

Eh, they've known about Splatoon's development for long enough to commence work on the character and I think Nintendo would be dropping the ball by not helping their new franchise; Nintendo should understand the advertising power of Smash. It would be a unique addition too.

I'm personally skeptical of the ballot having any impact on the final slot as all the popular vote takers are meh e.g. I think K Rool is a horrible choice with Dixie being preferable in every respect.

(I would vastly prefer Chorus Kids to just about any addition to the game, but I have an inkling they were cancelled for similar reasons to Ice Climbers.)

Pizza

I'd pay $15 without a second thought for the 3ds stages on Wii U. That'd help the stage situation immensely and be a good start to a better a stage selection

Do any of you think there's a chance we'll ever get to purchase costumes as DLC for the characters? I'd be perfectly content with a proper Daisy skin for Peach.

I think that's actually the perfect chance for Daisy to be playable (for now), as a full alt for Peach with new voice clips. Will it happen? Not too sure. It'd be nice if some other characters got some costumes too (Outset Toon Link, Mr L., so on).

Neoxon

Eh, they've known about Splatoon's development for long enough to commence work on the character and I think Nintendo would be dropping the ball by not helping their new franchise; Nintendo should understand the advertising power of Smash. It would be a unique addition too.

I'm personally skeptical of the ballot having any impact on the final slot as all the popular vote takers are meh e.g. I think K Rool is a horrible choice with Dixie being preferable in every respect.

(I would vastly prefer Chorus Kids to just about any addition to the game, but I have an inkling they were cancelled for similar reasons to Ice Climbers.)
Put it this way, they wouldn't have started on them at all if they had the same issues as the Ice Climbers. The Ice Climbers had AI issues more than multiple characters at once issues, & I'm pretty sure the Chorus Kids would have avoided that. Besides, doesn't it seem a tad bit suspicious that there's absolutely zero Rhythm Heaven music given how much the franchise has grown?

Since characters seem like 2/2/2 each, Melee, Brawl, New, I think the stages will probably be similar. In this case I did 3/3/3/3

Sector Z (8 player!)
Saffron City (Also 8 player!)
Dreamland

Big Blue (I never thought I'd miss this stage!)
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium

Yoshi's Island (to Wii U)
Pirate Ship (Why wasn't this in the game by default?)
Distant Planet (to Wii U)

Bowser's Castle (seriously, how does a stage based on this not exist?)
Phendrana Drifts (dat music, dat prime representation)
Sky Tower (in the background you get to watch Groudon and Kyogre battle and the weather changes, extreme sun does a tiny bit of damage every second and extreme rain makes the stage kind of slippery, Rayquaza comes down sometimes to roost, and also flies around the background and roars to scare away Groudon and Kyrogre. The stage also have an excellent view of Hoenn)

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously the "How to Play" stage from 64 is what we all need. That one blank grassy stage with a single platform on the right.

Seriously though, Saffron City was my first match in any Smash game. Pikachu vs. Mario. Never forget.

Neoxon

Obviously the "How to Play" stage from 64 is what we all need. That one blank grassy stage with a single platform on the right.

Seriously though, Saffron City was my first match in any Smash game. Pikachu vs. Mario. Never forget.
My first was Dream Land 64, Mario vs. Link.

These would be my top picks (for either version)

N64 Mushroom Kingdom
GCN Fourside
GCN Mushroom Kingdom II
GCN Poke Floats
NWII Mario Bros.

I second the notion of the Wii U getting Magicant, SNES Mute City and Pac-Maze. Gerudo Valley would also make a lot of sense.

For the 3DS, these would be nice:

Duck Hunt
GCN Yoshi's Island
GCN Onett
Wrecking Crew
Pilotwings
Jungle Hyjinx

I wonder how music on retro stage DLC would work?

If Pirate Ship came back, its music is scattered all over (or cut), and stuff like the Great Sea remix and Full Steam Ahead remix would fit great on it.

I think they will let more than one stage have the same music. They do it for the two Battlefields, but those are just two styles of the same stage.

Never been too crazy about the N64 stages. I'd only want Ancient Kingdom/Peach's Castle and maybe Hyrule Castle/Sector Z if they scale them properly so they're still big.

If Pirate Ship came back, its music is scattered all over (or cut), and stuff like the Great Sea remix and Full Steam Ahead remix would fit great on it.

I think they will let more than one stage have the same music. They do it for the two Battlefields, but those are just two styles of the same stage.

Yeah, I think this is a bigger factor than most people think. Would sure like to see Pirate Ship back, though.

Would it really matter if two stages shared some songs?

It would be so strange to have Pirate Ship and then not have the Great Sea remix that it already in the game be used on it. Along with Full Speed Ahead, because it's a sequel to Wind Waker.

If Mewtwo's customs are anything to go by, I consider hoping for shared music might be being optimistic.

The alternative is a silent stage... or retro stages without their own music. Which has happened only once, with Jungle Japes 3DS, but that song wasn't in any version of Smash 4 on any stage.

If, for example, Big Blue came back, it would have to share music, unless they replaced the music on Port Town just so Big Blue could have its own theme song. Or Big Blue wouldn't have Big Blue's iconic Melee remix...

Would it really matter if two stages shared some songs?

It would be so strange to have Pirate Ship and then not have the Great Sea remix that it already in the game be used on it. Along with Full Speed Ahead, because it's a sequel to Wind Waker.

I definitely agree, but I imagine they're striving for cohesion/uniqueness.

I guess I'd be okay with it especially since I don't care for Skyloft. This is why I want SD Card music to be a thing, though.

They could always just add new original songs. The speculative Kirby DLC stage is using a song from Kirby Air Ride that was neither in Brawl nor the vanilla Smash 4 soundtrack. I can't see it being that difficult to include new tracks bar any weird licensing issues.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
All this stuff is making me anxious.

I said it before, but I was sort of hoping Mewtwo would be it in terms of DLC because I just can't take another year+of Smash Hype.

Now I can't stop speculating, reading through wish list threads, etc. And unlike an actual game release, there's no set date I can expect the speculation to really end. We might be doing this still next year at this time!

All this stuff is making me anxious.

I said it before, but I was sort of hoping Mewtwo would be it in terms of DLC because I just can't take another year+of Smash Hype.

Now I can't stop speculating, reading through wish list threads, etc. And unlike an actual game release, there's no set date I can expect the speculation to really end. We might be doing this still next year at this time!

Why do you people do this to yourselves?

I just know there's ways to turn that stressful level of hype off, you can't fool me into thinking it's a permanent state of being.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Stages are certainly more fun to come up with new ideas for since the possibilities for them are endless whereas fighters are more restrictive in their nature.

Excite Bike

Scrolling stage look side on along a looping Excite Bike track. Elements can be randomly places every match. Excite bikers will zoom past every so often. They can either be driving along the ground or jumping in the air off a ramp. You can knock them off the course.

Streetpass Puzzle Swap
Image the layout a bit like the credits sequence with a basic platform at the bottom with a panel in the background. At the fight progresses a bird swoops in a places a new piece filling up the picture. As the piece slams into the background you can be hit by it, but once it is placed it becomes a new platform so as more pieces are places platforms are born and lost. Once the picture is complete is wipes it and starts again. The background of course would be the four seasons on loop.

Just two random ideas off the top of my head. But of course in a ballot they'd just be read as Excite Bike stage and Streetpass Puzzle Swap stage and the mechanical ideas will likely be ignored.

As for music, it does certainly raise a tricky issue. Would people be annoyed if the associations of tracks moved from an old stage to a DLC stage if you downloaded it i.e. The Great Sea/Fairy Fountain moving from Skyloft to Pirate Ship?

Neiteio

I'm just excited. Ultimately, I can't be disappointed since the base roster + Mewtwo is already INCREDIBLE. Lucas and Roy is drizzling extra fudge on an already delicious sundae. Ryu will be the epic cherry on top.

Whatever ends up happening with the rest of the DLC, I'm just enjoying the ride. The best part of Smash discussion is hearing everyone be passionate about the characters that are meaningful to them, and hearing their ideas for how those characters could be implemented.

Personally, I'd love to see any of the following: Wolf... Squirtle and/or Ivysaur... Snake... Pichu, preferably with Plusle and Minun alts... Inklings, with male and female variants, and maybe an Octoling alt... Dixie Kong, and/or King K. Rool, the latter with a Kaptain alt... The list goes on and on.

But like I said, whatever happens, the roster is amazing. Mewtwo alone makes DLC worth it.

Tyeforce

I'm not advocating for Shovel Knight, I'm just saying Shovel Knight isn't that strange, especially if you're going to bring up brand new indie characters to have a brand new star alongside all the classic icons. He has more ties to Nintendo than essentially any other indie character. I don't think he deserves a spot yet, but I also don't think he's a ridiculous suggestion.
Shovel Knight has more ties to Nintendo than any other indie character? How so? He's had one game that's not even exclusive to Nintendo systems. CommanderVideo or Shantae have more ties to Nintendo than Shovel Knight.

Although I'd never expect an indie character to actually make it into Smash Bros., if there was ever to be one, I think it'd have to be Quote from Cave Story. Not only does Cave Story have great ties to Nintendo with four games across DSi, Wii, and 3DS, but it's also from a Japanese developer, which I think would greatly boost its chances, considering that most other indie characters are from games that aren't even released in Japan.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If they include another Starfox character, I would rather it be Krystal. She would at least have a unique moveset while Wolf would just be another clone.

What make you so sure that they wouldn't pick Star Fox's Krystal (instead of Star Fox Adventure's Krystal)

All we know that Krystal could be a clone of Fox.

I'm picturing a hybrid of Hibiki from Capcom vs. SNK 2, Silver Samurai from MvC2 and Amaterasu and it's glorious.

Hmmm, sooo goooood!

I'm just excited. Ultimately, I can't be disappointed since the base roster + Mewtwo is already INCREDIBLE. Lucas and Roy is drizzling extra fudge on an already delicious sundae. Ryu will be the epic cherry on top.

Whatever ends up happening with the rest of the DLC, I'm just enjoying the ride. The best part of Smash discussion is hearing everyone be passionate about the characters that are meaningful to them, and hearing their ideas for how those characters could be implemented.

Personally, I'd love to see any of the following: Wolf... Squirtle and/or Ivysaur... Snake... Pichu, preferably with Plusle and Minun alts... Inklings, with male and female variants, and maybe an Octoling alt... Dixie Kong, and/or King K. Rool, the latter with a Kaptain alt... The list goes on and on.

But like I said, whatever happens, the roster is amazing. Mewtwo alone makes DLC worth it.

Exactly. Well Said! I welcome anything. Stages, Mii Fighter Costumes, Characters, etc. I just want Wolf coming back then surprise me with anything you throw at us. Actually Ryu and Roy surprised me tho.

No Smash 64?

Hyrule Castle 64, Yoshi Story 64 and Saffron City would be fantastic! :D

They should bring Big Blue into Smash 4. It's not same without Big Blue since it represent F-Zero very well, unlike Aero City. Also they should bring Pirate Ship and PokeFloat in too. Well, I like most of the stages in Smash franchise so I'm not picky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom