• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayolan

Wolf shares 0 move animations with Fox.
There, better?

The "wolf is a clone" line of thinking comes from him being the third character with an up-b in which you pause then spin to the direction you want, a side b in which you pause then teleport a bit to the side, a down b which is a reflector, a neutral b which is a laser gun, and a landmaster.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The "wolf is a clone" line of thinking comes from him being the third character with an up-b in which you pause then spin to the direction you want, a side b in which you pause then teleport a bit to the side, a down b which is a reflector, a neutral b which is a laser gun, and a landmaster.

Man, Wolf should get new final smash if he's coming back. Unfortunately it might not happens.

Alright, if you literally dumb down characters to the very basic functions of their specials, then Link is a Samus clone.

The Up B is a multi-hit spinning attack in which you can mildly steer.
The Side B is a projectile with various trajectories based on your input.
The B is a chargable projectile that grows stronger/faster and goes further the more you charge.
The Down B is an explosive which you can use to give yourself extra height in mid-air.

To top it off, both have a tether grab, and both have the same Back Air (at least they used to, not sure if that's still the case). They also both are in the upper range of weight classes.

So, in conclusion, Link shares more moves with Samus than Wolf does with Fox, since beyond specials, Wolf and Fox share none, but Link and Samus do. What now?

You will probably consider this analogy stupid, but so is calling Wolf a clone of Fox just because they have similar specials.

Fandangox

someone needs to edit the Mr. Burns "dont forget you're here forever" with sakurais face

CCI04202015.jpg

If anyone is willing to finish it/fix it/color it be my guess, I only have paint and I am at work anyway.

I can't draw.

Saying Wolf's up special is a clone of Fox's up special is kind of stretching. In Japan, Wolf's up special isn't even called "Fire Wolf", it's called "Wolf Shoot" with no relation at all to Fire Fox and Fire Bird. Wolf doesn't charge up, it's a kick style move, a multi-hit move. But saying it's the same as Fox's is like saying Ike and Marth are clones because they both have counter and their neutral special is more or less identical with different animations.

Fox's custom move meant to emulate this ability also doesn't work at all like Wolf's did, just being vaguely similar.

But Mario and Wario are totally clones. Both share a jump kick, both slam their heads with their up smash, both spin their opponents around with their back throw. Totally clones.

Neiteio

I want to play as Lucas, Roy and Ryu right now. Release the hostages, Sakurai!

Mewtwo opened my eyes to what a difference one extra character can make.

Took an awesome roster and made it even more so.

So are we acting as if Roy and Ryu are 100% confirmed? I hate to be the boring voice of reason here, but they aren't yet. As interesting as those files are, they don't outright confirm anything. There's going to be a lot of disappointment around here if E3 comes to pass and neither one of them is revealed. :p

Neiteio

So are we acting as if Roy and Ryu are 100% confirmed? I hate to be the boring voice of reason here, but they aren't yet. As interesting as those files are, they don't outright confirm anything. There's going to be a lot of disappointment around here if E3 comes to pass and neither one of them is revealed. :p
Well, let's look at the situation:

The update data hits, and the 3DS version is data-mined. Leftover files in a new folder show content not found in the base game. Namely, sound files for the stage theme and victory jingle for Ryu, as well as victory jingles for Lucas and Roy (FE). You can hear some of the content HERE.

So multiple trusted data-miners have found these files. It's fact that these files are in the game. They're on your 3DS right now if you downloaded the balance patch. So the question is, why would Sakurai put Ryu's victory jingle and stage theme, labeled as such, in the update data? The only sensible answer is that they're being developed as post-launch DLC.

At any rate, it's possible that nothing may be shown at E3. Ryu could be saved to coincide with EVO the next month. Roy could be saved to coincide with the FE 25th anniversary event, also in July.

Although the last two E3s each had a third-party guest character unveiled, so I suspect Ryu will be shown there.

kirby_fox

Banned

Yep. Why else would those files exist?

Unless this is some huge collaborative hoax or a huge troll by a developer who knew we'd be data mining the game.

FSLink

Banned

It's basically 100% unless it's a Kojima level troll. It's highly unlikely it'll end up being unused data in the end since it only showed up in a recent patch, it'd be a bit different if the files were there since the beginning and we still haven't heard anything about it. There's always the chance the idea gets scrapped later on, but we can't really guess that.

So yes it's not confirmed if you want to be anal about it. :p

Neiteio

Yeah, if the Ryu and Roy files were in the base game, then I'd think, "Well, maybe they were planned but then canceled due to time or other variables." But these files were found in the update data. That means they went into development after the base game. In other words, they're post-launch DLC.

It's exciting to think that right now in Japan, Sakurai has a build of the game where Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and who knows what else are running around and punching the stuffing out of each other. All being balanced together, in anticipation of a future DLC release.

Neiteio

For shits and giggles, Sakurai will probably reveal Ryu in a special Direct around the FE 25th anniversary, and Roy in a special Direct around EVO.

And then at E3 he'll unveil Master Chief.

Honestly if Ryu is getting in I'd really like to see Rayman. I was tepid on him before his fake leak but now I just keep thinking about a potential Origins or Legends stage and I'm crying because that would be amazing.

sonto340

Alright, if you literally dumb down characters to the very basic functions of their specials, then Link is a Samus clone.

The B is a chargable projectile that grows stronger/faster and goes further the more you charge.
The Down B is an explosive which you can use to give yourself extra height in mid-air.

To top it off, both have a tether grab, and both have the same Back Air (at least they used to, not sure if that's still the case). They also both are in the upper range of weight classes.

So, in conclusion, Link shares more moves with Samus than Wolf does with Fox, since beyond specials, Wolf and Fox share none, but Link and Samus do. What now?

You will probably consider this analogy stupid, but so is calling Wolf a clone of Fox just because they have similar specials.
If you can't see why people would say wolf is a fox clone and the differences between that and what you said then I'm not sure what to say.
It's obvious he's more of a luigi than a toon link but he's very clearly based on fox and falco.

Hatchtag

Banned

They aren't confirmed, but unless another Ice Climbers/Chorus Kids situation happens, they're gonna be in. And considering neither of them have any technical reasons to not be in, I think it's pretty safe they'll be in.

I wouldn't be too shocked if Ryu it too early in development for them to show though.

Zubz

Banned
What's with all this hope for Roy/Ryu? Have we all forgotten the choir kids fiasco?

Yeah, but we found data for these 2 in an update; they had to have been worked on post-launch as a result, and the fact that we have stage and victory music as opposed to a mere icon with the other fighters' has a lot of us thinking that they're at least partially finished.

Neiteio

Chorus Kids never had data found suggesting they were in development. Just the Gematsu rumor. Ryu has full-blown files for his stage and victory jingle on your patched game right now, even listing him among the other fighters. All of this in the recent update data, suggesting it's DLC being worked on as we speak.

It's clear Ryu is being worked on. The only thing that can stop him now is Nintendo or Capcom backing out of the deal. Which frankly I don't see happening when work is already underway and Ryu is guaranteed $$$ for all stakeholders. Not to mention Capcom has never been one to shy away from crossover collaborations.

Why would they want to encourage people to data mine their game? By leaving little easter eggs in there intentionally, you just make people want to hack into your game even more, and Nintendo absolutely hates data mining.

Also they wouldn't use copy written music they wouldn't own the rights to if Ryu wasn't going to be added. They could get sued for shipping that music, even accidentally in a patch, so they pretty much confirmed themselves that Ryu is coming, or at least, they have some rights to use Street Fighter music in Smash.

People like to say "trolololo Sakurai"... but I've never really seen it. Sure he likes to tease and joke around, but I've never actually see him outright trick people for malicious purposes as some people like to pretend he does. Saying "Aww... ZSS is cut" and then 2 seconds later confirming her, or showing off a Mii hat of Metaknight and then Metaknight himself the next day, those are more like Sakurai. It's not really mean spirited or even "trolly" it's just joking around and teasing fans and then immediately letting them in on the "joke" before they it gets to the point of people feeling angry.

...and stuff like showing off Ridley's shadow during the part specifically dedicated to Boss characters apparently confirming Ridley as playable being a troll move... is just people with unrealistic expectations warping a fairly obvious piece of the trailer into something it never was and was never meant to be. And that's generally what I think most people consider as Sakurai "trolling."

People misinterpreted an innocent bit of news, or going all crazy and over analyzing every little detail. They've gotten themselves into a loop where they think Sakurai is some mustache twirling troll and so every innocent announcement must have an angle and then when it doesn't it reaffirms to them that Sakurai is some kind of crazy person who messes with everyone for laughs... when it's just not like that at all.

So no, I doubt, highly, that those files are put their specifically to mess with dataminers. Because it doesn't just mess with dataminers, those miners tell people and news spreads and suddenly everyone gets excited for a "trap" set to target one group specifically and then get devastated when it wasn't true. That's not something Sakurai or his team, or really any major game company would do, because it's just flat out mean.

This isn't to say that Ryu and Roy are guaranteed... but the evidence is pretty good and we can basically just sit and wait now for more news or for the intern they stuck to make the 3DS patch forgets to remove more dev code because he seems pretty bad at cleaning his code up for production.

All of his special moves are pretty much the same. His neutral B is the gun, Down B is reflector, side B is the dash similar to the fox illusion, an his up B is like Fox's. Slow start up and can be aimed in any direction.
This is silly.

All of her normal moves are pretty much the same. Her forward smash is a Fighter Kick. Her down smash is a spin kick, her back slow is a reverse somersault, her back air is a quick two legged kick, her down air is a spin kick. Her forward air is a one legged kick.

Oh wait, that's Jigglypuff and Kirby. Must be clones too, since they share more moves than Wolf does with Fox lol

Or how about Wario and Mario, also clones?
Share a back throw. Share an up smash. Wario's forward air is identical to Mario's neutral air. Both break dance for their down smash. Almost as many as Wolf and Fox.

Or Ike and Marth?
Have the same neutral and down specials. Have the same grab pummel animation. Almost as many specials shared as Fox and Wolf.

Neiteio

To get into the spirit this E3, I'll wear a white gi and black belt and bandana and red gloves while watching the Digital Event.

And if Ryu's not shown I'll kick my computer:

ryu-hcfk.gif

Neoxon

Chorus Kids never had data found suggesting they were in development. Just the Gematsu rumor. Ryu has full-blown files for his stage and victory jingle on your patched game right now, even listing him among the other fighters. All of this in the recent update data, suggesting it's DLC being worked on as we speak.

It's clear Ryu is being worked on. The only thing that can stop him now is Nintendo or Capcom backing out of the deal. Which frankly I don't see happening when work is already underway and Ryu is guaranteed $$$ for all stakeholders. Not to mention Capcom has never been one to shy away from crossover collaborations.
Actually data for a playable Rhythm Heaven character was in fact found on the Wii U version.

If Ryu gets in, do you guys think his moves will be more complex to pull off like in most traditional fighters to make him feel more unique? Or do you think he will have the same simple controls that everyone else has? Maybe he will have heavy emphasis on combos?

Neoxon

Well... a reference to a series icon placed with the other playable series was found. Not exactly character data.
The series icon was coded like the other franchises with playable characters, thus suggesting that there was a playable RH rep at some point. Given that the Gematsu leak was correct, albeit with outdated information, the reference was most likely for the Chorus Kids.

If Ryu gets in, do you guys think his moves will be more complex to pull off like in most traditional fighters to make him feel more unique? Or do you think he will have the same simple controls that everyone else has? Maybe he will have heavy emphasis on combos?

He won't have QC motions.

What others and I have thought of is that he'll have a meter bar in which he can do EX moves/Cancels making him a lot more unique.

Or what somebody has said, that he could be like Lucario in Project M. Where you can cancel his jabs into tilts/specials.

Maybe he'll just be straight forward. Who knows?

He won't have QC motions.

What others and I have thought of is that he'll have a meter bar in which he can do EX moves/Cancels making him a lot more unique.

Or what somebody has said, that he could be like Lucario in Project M. Where you can cancel his jabs into tilts/specials.

Maybe he'll just be straight forward. Who knows?

Sounds good to me. Having a combo monster like that will be fun.

Neoxon

I don't doubt that the Chorus Kids were in the works at some point (I'm inclined to believe the Gematsu leak was at least an accurate reflection of the game in its earliest planning stages), but the proof in your link seems far more tenuous than what we have going for Ryu at the moment.
That's why I'm not putting the Chorus Kids on the same regard as Ryu, who has more hard evidence than the former.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not to disappoint certain Miku fans...but considering it's a character created and being used as a musician mostly and only being featured in games, you'd have about as much of a chance as adding Elvis or Paul McCartney.

Elvis would be rad.

How many of you all actually played as Wolf as a main in Brawl? Just curious what the actual use of him was among those who'd like him back.

Though I'd like to see him return, it's kind of a Mewtwo situation. I never really used Mewtwo all that much, but I really hate to see characters cut. No one I played with used Wolf unless we were choosing random and given Wolf.

He's my favorite character to play as, really loved his style.

Why is her top coming undone? Is she about to shoot lasers/missiles from her chest?
yes

Ridley. He can break physics and fly in space, outfights an entire Galactic civilization, he survives being blown up in the original Metroid (although needing to become a mechanical cyborg by Metroid Prime), gets blown up AGAIN, is fine, gets dissolved into Phazon, and then in the next game he is 100% fine, flying through space and stealing the aforementioned Galactic civilization's most guarded prize, the last Metroid. The only thing to show what he went through? He's purple instead of black. Ridley is only killed by being blown up and then the planet his microscopic pieces are on is blown up as well.

Smaug is limited to the atmosphere, and getting an arrow through the heart will kill him along with anything else "normally lethal". Blowing Smaug to pieces will not result in him just showing up later on perfectly fine.

oh right I forgot smaug's weakness

what a lame dragon

How many of you all actually played as Wolf as a main in Brawl? Just curious what the actual use of him was among those who'd like him back.

Though I'd like to see him return, it's kind of a Mewtwo situation. I never really used Mewtwo all that much, but I really hate to see characters cut. No one I played with used Wolf unless we were choosing random and given Wolf.

I didn't main him, but I loved playing him.

If you can't see why people would say wolf is a fox clone and the differences between that and what you said then I'm not sure what to say.
It's obvious he's more of a luigi than a toon link but he's very clearly based on fox and falco.

He's thematically based on the other 2 Star Fox characters, yes. He shares the same final smash (albeit the tank is a bit different in terms of stats iirc), he has similarly themed specials, although they are vastly different in how they work, yes. He also has various attributes that are similar to how Fox's are, like being a fast-faller.
However, you are wrong. Luigi and Toon Link both still share attack animations with Mario and Link. Toon Link's Up B, B and Down B work identically to Link's, only with different looks, and in the Up B's case, size.

Wolf's specials work vastly different from Fox's. Going here with Brawl because Wolf doesn't exist in Smash 4, so we don't know if there's any changes - for instance, with the B, Fox's laser has unlimited range, he can fire it incredibly rapidly (to the point that skilled players easily can fire 2, very skilled players even 3 in a single short hop), they do not flinch and only inflict very minor damage. The gun itself has no hitbox.
Wolf's gun has a melee hitbox - the knife on it does actually do damage up close. The projectile moves very slowly and has very limited range to the point of being more of a mid-range than a long-range projectile, and cannot be fired in a short hop unless you know how to work around Wolf's landing lag. It's one of the highest damage non-charging projectiles in the game and does not only flinch, it also pushes enemies a tad backward.

And that's just one special. These 2 special moves are about as different as they can get, and they only share one thing: They're thematically similar. So yes, both Fox and Wolf use guns, but they're vastly different from each other in just about every aspect, and the same can be said about the other specials.

The entirety of Wolf's normal moves are completely unique. He doesn't even use the same limbs as Fox in almost every single move - only his Up Smash and one of the aerials (I think it was the Back Air) for both use their legs, but they do it in an entirely different way (e.g. in the Up Smash, Fox does a back flip, while Wolf does a handstand-esque kick directly upwards).

It's very clear that Sakurai's intention was for Wolf to resemble Fox and Falco. He was supposed to be thematically similar, yes. But he's not a clone. A clone is literally a copy-paste job of moves, with perhaps some alterations on stats or a couple of moves being different. Dark Pit is a clone. Lucina is a clone. Doctor Mario, Young Link, Pichu, Ganondorf, Roy and Falco used to be clones (with Doc still being one). Falco, Ganon and Toon Link still share more moves with their base characters than Wolf and Fox do.

And as I mentioned, if you completely eradicate any differences between characters but count only special moves, and dumb them down specifically to their theme, then my example of Link being a Samus clone comes in. Again, I know the comparison is ridiculous, but so is considering Wolf a low effort copypaste job.

All of his special moves are pretty much the same. His neutral B is the gun, Down B is reflector, side B is the dash similar to the fox illusion, an his up B is like Fox's. Slow start up and can be aimed in any direction.

See:

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People like to say "trolololo Sakurai"... but I've never really seen it. Sure he likes to tease and joke around, but I've never actually see him outright trick people for malicious purposes as some people like to pretend he does.
It was more a Japan Time joke for things like the infamous "until now" when talking about Ness during the Lucas reveal coupled with all the (laughs) in the Iwata Asks interview (although these are common in every interview, for some reason people started associating it with Sakurai specifically). So during the post Brawl release years the image of Sakurai being this crazy mastermind troll was born based on a few incidents and a lot of imagination. Roll on the Smash 4 run-up and Sakurai being a troll has turned from joke to fact for some people and coloured their whole perception so anything jokey posted by Sakurai was read by them as trolly.

Boss Doggie

Being based on someone doesn't make them a clone, otherwise Sagat is a Ryu clone.

It was more a Japan Time joke for things like the infamous "until now" when talking about Ness during the Lucas reveal coupled with all the {laughs} in the Iwata Asks (although these are common in ever interview, for some reason people started associating it with Sakurai specifically). So during the post Brawl release years the image of Sakurai being this crazy mastermind troll was born based on a few incidents and a lot of imagine. Roll on the Smash 4 run-up and Sakurai being a troll has turned from joke to fact for some people and coloured their whole perception so anything jokey posted by Sakurai was read by them as trolly.

Yep this. Essentially people took a lot of what Sakurai said personally, and a lot of those are also false interpretations.

Speaking of which, whenever people make Ryu moveset, a lot of people forget this move (Joudan Sokutogeri, a.k.a. Donkey Kick, a.k.a. CHESUTOOOOO!) exist. I mean sure it came to be during SF3 so it's not iconic as his other three moves, but still.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Probably didn't help that some people who were on the Smash 4 hype train never experienced the Brawl one so their image of Sakurai only came from the jokes. Like most meme mutation people learn the punchline without knowing the original joke and thus take it in the wrong direction. Heck, the infamous "anti tourny" phrase of 'Real men use items' isn't even by Sakurai, but NoA's Nate.

Boss Doggie

Wait, people attributed the Items meme on him? That's weird.

I still believe people take him a little too seriously and misinterpret a lot of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom