• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

For me, the most amazing thing about the Villager reveal was the name "Villager." It was such a simple and elegant solution to what people on the Internet had been calling "Animal Crossing Male" or "Animal Crossing Townsperson." The name "Villager" was one of those solutions that is so obvious, yet I hadn't seen anyone use it. Good work, localization team!

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
For me, the most amazing thing about the Villager reveal was the name "Villager." It was such a simple and elegant solution to what people on the Internet had been calling "Animal Crossing Male" or "Animal Crossing Townsperson." The name "Villager" was one of those solutions that is so obvious, yet I hadn't seen anyone use it. Good work, localization team!

I still remember the "Killager" and "Murderbito" nicknames during 3DS launch hype when the tournaments still acknowledged the 3DS version.

woopWOOP

OK. Let's talk about Villager and Wii Fit Trainer instead...

Speaking of WFT, her announcement was the first bit of salt in regards to Smash 4. Geoff was well annoyed at E3. The series just seems to bring out that side to people.
I remember the Kotaku article writer being pretty pissed about it too. Everybody has their own wishlist for remaining characters so seeing a rather unexpected character "take up a slot" first gets people pretty riled up. I think initial reactions would be more positive if characters like Little Mac and Shulk were revealed first.

Likewise for DLC, if Wolf got leaked before Roy I don't think that many people would be so upset about it. (you know, aside from those rather having unique newcomers)

Okay, not that anyone has any reason to belive me, but I was totally referring to him/her as Villager pre-reveal when everyone else was calling him/her those silly things. I mean, I have the .txt roster speculation files I typed up to prove it. I even had both the male and female playable via alts in my head.

*hipster hair flips and steps onto a buried pitfall seed*

Fandangox

cwagnk.gif

I just made the gif last night

This will get a lot of use I am sure.

I've said this somewhere before, but I think Villager didn't make the cut in Brawl because Sakurai didn't think he'd fit in with the Subspace Emissary. I know Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff were included with no role in the story, so who knows?

I've said this somewhere before, but I think Villager didn't make the cut in Brawl because Sakurai didn't think he'd fit in with the Subspace Emissary. I know Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff were included with no role in the story, so who knows?

I'm pretty sure the reason was he couldn't come up with a viable moveset for him. He used him and Nintendog as two examples.

h3u0buO.jpg

Neiteio

Yeah, I was mind blown that Villager finally got in as playable character. I gave up on few characters because Sakurai said so. Boom, the opposite just happened.

cwagnk.gif

I just made the gif last night
Man, that gif... Mewtwo's Final Smash is so much fun. I did an all-Mewtwo match in 8-Player Smash, with Smash Balls on, and seeing multiple people trapped in Psystrike and blasted offscreen is just SO GOOD.

Man, that gif... Mewtwo's Final Smash is so much fun. I did an all-Mewtwo match in 8-Player Smash, with Smash Balls on, and seeing multiple people trapped in Psystrike and blasted offscreen is just SO GOOD.

It's nice they managed to get his Mega Evolution AND his signature move together. I was a little concerned they were going to just go with a boring mega evolution transformation that both Lucario and Charizard have.

Ryce

It's nice they managed to get his Mega Evolution AND his signature move together. I was a little concerned they were going to just go with a boring mega evolution transformation that both Lucario and Charizard have.
I thought it was going to be a slightly more involved version of what Sakurai actually went with -- you would get to float around as Mega Mewtwo Y and press a button to trigger Psystrike (which I thought would be an expanding forcefield, not a projectile).

Zubz

Banned

I was adamant it'd be "Animal Crosser," for whatever reason. It's still the longest name by far, so I'm glad they shortened it to Villager, myself.

But what happens when they add a villager from Animal Crossing as a character!?

How am I going to play as Punchy!?

But seriously, a fighter that was 8 costumes with 4 different villager types, 2 styles each, would be a cool character. Dogs, Pigs, Frogs and Cats all have roughly the same body type, it could totally work.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder if they'll update Villager's proportions in the next game to match the current look. They made a bit of a mistake not doing it from the get go seeing as New Leaf was already out when Smash 4 was announced (I mean Isabelle is in the trailer and promo art).

L Thammy

I was adamant it'd be "Animal Crosser," for whatever reason. It's still the longest name by far, so I'm glad they shortened it to Villager, myself.

Animal Crosser doesn't cross any animals, does s/he? Unless there's some kind of wedding planner subquest in the newer games.

Ryce

I wonder if they'll update Villager's proportions in the next game to match the current look. They made a bit of a mistake not doing it from the get go seeing as New Leaf was already out when Smash 4 was announced (I mean Isabelle is in the trailer and promo art).
I wouldn't call it a "mistake" -- Smash Villager is the default in both Wild World and City Folk, and his/her body proportions date back to the original Animal Crossing. It seems like a deliberate decision on Sakurai's part since, as you said, New Leaf was revealed long before development even began on this game. Maybe he figured the shorter Villager was more iconic and representative of the series as a whole.

Speaking of Villager, there is something really dumb that bothers me, and now that I've noticed it I can't stop seeing it: his mouth was updated late in development to be thicker, but the character render of his first costume still uses the original thin mouth. The other seven costumes correctly show the updated mouth -- it's just the first costume that hasn't been fixed.

If we really needed any more proof of Stage DLC
Here's an interesting code snippet I found in dlc.js on http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/

if(!underIE8) {
var $dlcBlockStage = $('.dlc-block-stage');
var $pageLength1 = $dlcBlockStage.find('.dlc-page').length;
var li1 = "";

if ($pageLength1 > 1) {
$dlcBlockStage.find('.pager-custom').css('display','block');
for (var j = 0; j < $pageLength1; j++) {
var pageNo = j+1;
li1 += '<li><a data-slide-index="' + j +'" href="">' + pageNo + '</a></li>';
}
$dlcBlockStage.find('.bx-pager1').append($('<ul />').append(li1));
}

For anyone not familiar with jQuery, this is basically selecting an element on the page with the "dlc-block-stage" class. There are already elements on the page with the "dlc-block-fighter", "dlc-block-costume", and "dlc-block-pack" classes.

Neoxon

Good. Good good good.
I imagine Ryu will be bundled with a Street Fighter stage. Hopefully Dreamland 64 is bundled with more 64 stages. Or more Melee stages. Hell, make a Kirby bundle and throw Fountain of Dreams in.
That would make sense.

jnWake

DLC stages make me excited. I'd like:

- Stage for Toon Link (new would be cool but I don't mind Pirate Ship returning).
- HD new stage for Ness/Lucas and Falcon.
- Stage for Dr. Mario.
- Bowser Castle stage (seriously, how hasn't this happened yet).
- Stage for R.O.B.
- Returning: Sector Z and Yoshi's Island from 64, Fountain of Dreams and PokéFloats from Melee, Rumble Falls and New Pork City from Brawl (
nah, can't think of anything from Brawl besides from maybe Pirate Ship
).

DLC characters from new franchises deserve stages too by the way.

Zubz

Banned
Good. Good good good.
I imagine Ryu will be bundled with a Street Fighter stage. Hopefully Dreamland 64 is bundled with more 64 stages. Or more Melee stages. Hell, make a Kirby bundle and throw Fountain of Dreams in.

I'm kinda wondering if they'll bundle stages with characters, or just bundle stages with one another/individually. Although theycould go the MK route where they add new content with a patch so players who lack the new stuff have a reason to download it (I like how this applies to both Mortal Kombat and Mario Kart now). Maybe they could add 1-2 stages to each version for free with an update, then add 3-4 stages with a new character/new characters.

- Bowser Castle stage (seriously, how hasn't this happened yet).

Well, we technically have that part from the Paper Mario stage...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Now that I think about it, Ryu's Japan stage in SF2 is pretty Smash-safe. Rather than make it a walk-off they can actually show the castle's edges. Then again it would look like a boring FD-style stage.

Neiteio

Now that I think about it, Ryu's Japan stage in SF2 is pretty Smash-safe. Rather than make it a walk-off they can actually show the castle's edges. Then again it would look like a boring FD-style stage.
It would be amazing if a completely out-of-place Blanka was the stage hazard, cannonballing back and forth across the stage and zapping people he hits, all while saying "MAMA"

So now I'm reading on some forums that Sakurai is making a Smash announcement at the Fire Emblem concert.

Ok, so this is how the cycle starts. No where has it been confirmed he's making a Smash announcement. It's not even said anywhere he's making an announcement at all. He's just on the list of guest speakers...

And yet people are getting hyped that somehow a Smash related announcement will be made. And when it doesn't happen, they'll be disappointed and blame Sakurai.

Sigh...

JoeM86

So now I'm reading on some forums that Sakurai is making a Smash announcement at the Fire Emblem concert.

Ok, so this is how the cycle starts. No where has it been confirmed he's making a Smash announcement. It's not even said anywhere he's making an announcement at all. He's just on the list of guest speakers...

And yet people are getting hyped that somehow a Smash related announcement will be made. And when it doesn't happen, they'll be disappointed and blame Sakurai.

Sigh...

Reminds me of the Pokémon fandom.

In the run-up to a game...whenever there was an episode of Pokémon Smash/Get TV, everyone was saying "Oh my god, they're going to reveal things", even when there was no indication otherwise, and then would loudly complain and say that we got "trolled" when it turned out there was nothing.

Boss Doggie

In the run-up to a game...whenever there was an episode of Pokémon Smash/Get TV, everyone was saying "Oh my god, they're going to reveal things", even when there was no indication otherwise, and then would loudly complain and say that we got "trolled" when it turned out there was nothing.

Hilariously enough everything that is going to be announced in that variety show has always been announced elsewhere anyway. I think the only announcement they have that haven't been revealed in magazines or promos is Mewtwo Y, but then someone posted a movie flier before Pokemon Smash aired lol

I'm almost positive both Ryu and Roy (and DLC stages) will be announced at E3.

Stranger announcements have been made, but I think E3 is the best venue to announce these things to get the most hype out of them.

JoeM86

Hilariously enough everything that is going to be announced in that variety show has always been announced elsewhere anyway. I think the only announcement they have that haven't been revealed in magazines or promos is Mewtwo Y, but then someone posted a movie flier before Pokemon Smash aired lol

Na, there have been a few cases.

Pansage was revealed in it. Zoroark's silhouette. BW Starter Silhouettes. Yellow Forest HGSS course. First footage of ORAS. Various minor things, but you're right...seldom the huge major stuff people expect

JoeM86

I remember this. 15 seconds of the opening of the game.

That was... worth the hour of watching a show in a language I didn't understand lol

People shouldn't have wasted their time. They should know by now that if anything pertinent came out of it, sites would post it instantly. I mean hell, TPCi put out this trailer literally 5 minutes after it was shown on Get TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00DyEDmQ83s

People just get overhyped

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"And before we play the first piece of this concert, a couple of words from Mr. Sakurai."
"Fire Emblem."
"Thank you Mr. Sakurai."

An announcement of a DLC character for a completely different game at a concert made to celebrate the history of Fire Emblem seems like it'd be super tacky and would take away from Fire Emblem because the event would just become a Smash event at that point.

Which is why I doubt they announce Roy there. I think more likely they'll announce Roy at E3 and then during the concert, Sakurai's bit will be discussing Fire Emblem's history and importance in Smash and the next song would be Together We Ride, which is basically the theme of Fire Emblem in Smash, they'd show a montage of Fire Emblem in Smash on a projector, with the three games, and the Smash 4 footage would show Roy in it (but not as a special announcement, just having him in the footage as he's part of Smash's Fire Emblem history). That would tastefully celebrate Fire Emblem in Smash while also teasing some of Roy without it being a huge deal and the focus of the event.

Other than that, a Smash announcement would just be the focus of the concert, and I doubt they'd want that to happen. People going "oh yea, music is cool, whatever, GIVE ME SMASH"

Boss Doggie

Na, there have been a few cases.

Pansage was revealed in it. Zoroark's silhouette. BW Starter Silhouettes. Yellow Forest HGSS course. First footage of ORAS. Various minor things, but you're right...seldom the huge major stuff people expect

Ahh right, forgot about BW stuff. I remember the guessing games the silhouettes had lol

They made his tummy attach to his flesh better but then made it shiny and gold like armor?

They seem confused whether they want it to be part of his flesh or a piece of armor. Otherwise it ends up looking kind of disturbing.

Nintendo so far seems to want it to just be flesh and not some odd body shaped plate of gold armor.

I like him more as a more realistic croc, though, being hunched over with a more defined and powerful looking jaw.

They made his tummy attach to his flesh better but then made it shiny and gold like armor?

They seem confused whether they want it to be part of his flesh or a piece of armor. Otherwise it ends up looking kind of disturbing.

Nintendo so far seems to want it to just be flesh and not some odd body shaped plate of gold armor.

I like him more as a more realistic croc, though, being hunched over with a more defined and powerful looking jaw.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if K. Rool is DLC, they're going to use the Paon design (which means no gold belly). All of the Retro's character designs were simply updated versions of the Paon models, which were fine for the most part. I like the idea of K. Rool having rusted armor and holes in his cape in order to signify that he hasn't been around for awhile. Though that what probably go against Sakurai's "accurate portrayals" mantra. Either way, seeing him with actual scales for a change would be delightful.

Ryce

Other than that, a Smash announcement would just be the focus of the concert, and I doubt they'd want that to happen. People going "oh yea, music is cool, whatever, GIVE ME SMASH"
To be fair, it's not just a concert. It's a three part event: concert, talk show, and stage play. Sakurai is appearing during the talk show portion. It wouldn't be that out of place for him to show a Roy trailer amidst new Fire Emblem if and SMT X Fire Emblem footage, nor would it really take away from anything else.

It's far from a sure thing, but I just don't buy the "it'd be the focus of the entire event" angle. At the end of the day it's still a Fire Emblem event for Fire Emblem fans -- the people in attendance aren't going to come unglued for a Roy trailer and then be dead for everything else. Japanese crowds tend to be fairly reserved in general.

I felt that there is something about him that felt off. I'm not sure what it is.

The eyes look too far apart for my likiing. Overall, it's a nice blend of the Rare and Paon designs. I prefer the Paon model personally, but they need to give him his tail back. Taking away a crocodile's tail is... sacrilegious.

I almost would want them to put an X bandage on his belly button or give him a robe or something. I always thought the seriously outey belly button was really... ugly and kind of gross.

That model's cape is also far too thin, it should be thicker, especially around his neck.

Has anyone at Rare ever mentioned if his stomach is supposed to be armor or just janky coloring of the limited textures of the DKC models?

Japanese crowds tend to be fairly reserved in general.
True. I'm just so used to American Smash fanatics that tune out anything that isn't a Smash announcement when they sense blood in the water.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody on DeviantArt created a hypothetical K. Rool redesign that I really like. The proportions are more realistic.

http://dreamingbaku.deviantart.com/art/King-K-Rool-Textured-3D-Render-527945819

I like how he actually has visible scales here. Personally though I'd make the tail longer so it could have combat applications. I always disliked how the newer Rool lacked a tail for some strange reason. Maybe the original designers thought he didn't have one because you could barely ever see his tail from the front?

Neiteio

I felt that there is something about him that felt off. I'm not sure what it is.
The blending of scales by his pectorals is a bit much... and the pectorals are slung a bit low. But all in all, amazing work! Really love the texture there.

K. Rool would be great. I just wonder how relevant he is. I'm trying to think of a "current series" in Smash (i.e. Mario, Zelda, etc) with a similar character who hasn't appeared in a while. Maybe Sheik in the Zelda series?

Azure J

Sigh...

This sounds like some portions of GAF after a Nintendo Direct too.

- *cool thing x, y, z happens; Direct ends*

- WHERE THE FUCK WAS MY [COOL THING A, B, C]? IT WAS WRITTEN IN THE STARS BEFORE I WENT TO SLEEP

THIS FUCKING COMPANY.

Golnei

K. Rool would be great. I just wonder how relevant he is. I'm trying to think of a "current series" in Smash (i.e. Mario, Zelda, etc) with a similar character who hasn't appeared in a while. Maybe Sheik in the Zelda series?

Ganondorf might share Sheik's situation - showing up fairly regularly in spinoffs and remakes, but no longer appearing in the main series; though Ganon and Zelda still receive focus. Toon Link might befall something similar by the next game, seeing as the last original title he appeared in is 6 years old...

Other than that; the characters chosen from ongoing series seem to be those which remain continually relevant, and the largely insignificant characters who still take up space on the roster are primarily from franchises that are either long dead or concluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom