• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
K. Rool would be great. I just wonder how relevant he is. I'm trying to think of a "current series" in Smash (i.e. Mario, Zelda, etc) with a similar character who hasn't appeared in a while. Maybe Sheik in the Zelda series?

I guess in a world where Duck Hunt Duo can show up, K'Rool isn't too farfetch'd. Is he really blitzing it in the polls so far?

Neiteio

Ganondorf might share Sheik's situation - showing up fairly regularly in spinoffs and remakes, but no longer appearing in the main series; though Ganon and Zelda still receive focus. Toon Link might befall something similar by the next game, seeing as the last original title he appeared in is 6 years old...

Other than that; the characters chosen from ongoing series are seem to be those which remain continually relevant, and the largely insignificant characters who still take up space on the roster are primarily from franchises that are either long dead or concluded.
It's interesting, because when we look at their source games (not spinoffs), we've technically seen K. Rool more recently than Sheik. Sheik was last seen in Ocarina of Time; K. Rool was last seen in DK64. Again, this is not including spinoffs, VC ports or remakes.

However, Sheik has the edge since she's been in Smash since Melee. At the same time, Sakurai continues to at least be aware of K. Rool's existence, having given him a trophy each generation since trophies were introduced to Smash Bros.

On a side note, my friend is borrowing my 3DS XL (since I have a N3DS XL now) and playing my copy of OoT 3D. He doesn't know Sheik is a girl. Huehuehuehuehue!

Neiteio

I guess in a world where Duck Hunt Duo can show up, K'Rool isn't too farfetch'd. Is he really blitzing it in the polls so far?
Not sure. It's entirely possible that K. Rool support is low but seems high due to a vocal minority and some traction on social media. Whether that increased awareness translates to votes is anyone's guess. It's entirely possible that the people exposed to the K. Rool campaign merely smile and then vote for someone else.

Of course, it's also possible that the top vote-getter (or top 10 vote-getters, or top 100) won't be the ones made into characters.

And of course, it's -also- possible that this is all lip service by Nintendo -- a calculated marketing effort to get people hyped again like they were before the game came out. Debating character selection is the biggest source of buzz for the series.

I'm usually an optimist, but the cynical side of me thinks Nintendo already knows what character(s) they'll make, and they'll merely cherry-pick ballots that line up with this to show in a future Direct and say, "Look, it's what you asked for!" Even if it's No. 300 in the polls, lol. I mean, unless they disclose the numbers, it's not like we would know. (And the numbers are meaningless due to ballot-stuffing and other factors, anyways)

All that being said, I'm loving this shit. I have Mewtwo (SO GOOD), and Lucas is on the way. I'm interested to see Roy again. I'm thrilled about Ryu. I'd like to see Wolf. I'd love to see Snake (but don't expect him). Everything is gravy at this point, really.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
An announcement of a DLC character for a completely different game at a concert made to celebrate the history of Fire Emblem seems like it'd be super tacky and would take away from Fire Emblem because the event would just become a Smash event at that point.
Another company altogether but Shantotto was revealed for the original Dissidia at an event covering Final Fantasy XI news back in the day.

Neiteio

Regarding Roy's reveal, it's possible he could be shown during the talk show portion of the FE event, where Sakurai is scheduled to speak. For the rest of the world, Nintendo would upload a trailer. Perhaps there would be a tease beforehand, too. Wasn't one of the newcomer reveals for SSB4 shown by itself, independent of a Direct? (Lucina and Robin, iirc)

Of course, I'd prefer that Roy be shown alongside Ryu at E3. It'd be nice if they showed three characters, in keeping with E3 2013 and E3 2014.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
The blending of scales by his pectorals is a bit much... and the pectorals are slung a bit low. But all in all, amazing work! Really love the texture there.

K. Rool would be great. I just wonder how relevant he is. I'm trying to think of a "current series" in Smash (i.e. Mario, Zelda, etc) with a similar character who hasn't appeared in a while. Maybe Sheik in the Zelda series?

Retro and Playtonic seem to be in support for K Rool in Smash, and I think his recent release on DK64 (who added a bit of buzz around itself with Jetpac) has got DK fans missing the old croc. It could possibly lead to another DKCR game with K Rool back as the antagonist. Besides, you don't see snowmads or tikis in Smash Run, but Kremlings! With this surge in popularity for K Rool, it might get him noticed in this ballot, especially if he's in the top or even at Number 1! At the very least, it improves his chances to get into Retro DK games.

Also, Shiek's here because Melee vet, and being tied into Zelda's moveset in Melee and Brawl (and became a separate character here because 3DS).

Neiteio

Retro and Playtonic seem to be in support for K Rool in Smash, and I think his recent release on DK64 (who added a bit of buzz around itself with Jetpac) has got DK fans missing the old croc. It could possibly lead to another DKCR game with K Rool back as the antagonist. Besides, you don't see snowmads or tikis in Smash Run, but Kremlings! With this surge in popularity for K Rool, it might get him noticed in this ballot, especially if he's in the top or even at Number 1! At the very least, it improves his chances to get into Retro DK games.

Also, Shiek's here because Melee vet, and being tied into Zelda's moveset in Melee and Brawl (and became a separate character here because 3DS).
The Tiki Buzzes are in Smash Run, alongside the Kritters.

L Thammy

It's far from a sure thing, but I just don't buy the "it'd be the focus of the entire event" angle. At the end of the day it's still a Fire Emblem event for Fire Emblem fans -- the people in attendance aren't going to come unglued for a Roy trailer and then be dead for everything else. Japanese crowds tend to be fairly reserved in general.

I don't think Japanese crowds being reserved means that they're more likely to hold their interest. It's just that they have a different way of showing respect. It's like how burping is a compliment to the chef in some cultures.

The rest of your reasoning sounds about right to me, though. Wouldn't the audience just be more interested in the event if there was an awesome announcement? They're probably just going to cheer louder if Roy show up at the play.

He's up there in the Reddit poll, don't know if any there have been polls for any other sites.

I want a hypothetical DKR trilogy to end with it being revealed all this time that K Rool is the one who awoke the Tikis and told the Snowmads that there was treasure on DK Island and gave them the horn that can summon the ice dragon.

He's been playing the long con, indirectly influencing forces behind the scenes before he can make his grand entrance in DKR3 as the mastermind behind it all, just waiting for DK to let his guard down before KRool could strike again, his forces stronger than ever (and now made up of a mix of tikis, snowmads and kremlings).

I think it would be a great way to end this particular chapter in Donkey Kong's history, and also parallel the original DKC trilogy.

And Gonzo would win his ban bet in the most spectacular way

K Rool is such an ugly character, his design is absolutely atrocious. I'd rather have a snowmad. Isn't there a better Kremlin they can use?

They can improve K Rool so he looks fine. They made Funky look fine and he was odd looking too (although less so).

Or just ignore it and make him a character stuck firmly in the 90s.

It worked so well for Duke Nukem

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
K Rool is such an ugly character, his design is absolutely atrocious. I'd rather have a snowmad. Isn't there a better Kremlin they can use?

Nope, you're stuck with K Rool's glorious girth.

Edit: IF there has to be another Kremling character, the only other logical choice is Krusha. It doesn't hurt he shows up almost anywhere K Rool is, and is actually playable in Donkey Kong 64 (multiplayer)

latest

But Krusha being in over K Rool would be a major kick in the nuts to K Rool fans despite being a Kremling.

L Thammy

What exactly do you mean when you ask about "relevance"? The word comes up a lot, and I've been wanting to ask that for a while.

If you think of Smash Bro as a celebration of Nintendo history, K.Rool is a great representative of the SNES-N64 era even if he only makes rare (ah-hyuck) appearances in spin-off titles now.

The original Donkey Kong Country was the biggest selling game of the SNES aside from the pack-in Super Mario World, if I'm not mistaken. And on the N64, Rare and Nintendo were pretty much holding the fort by themselves. K.Rool's a nice tribute to the Rare that was.

Klump for Smash!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The eyes look too far apart for my likiing. Overall, it's a nice blend of the Rare and Paon designs. I prefer the Paon model personally, but they need to give him his tail back. Taking away a crocodile's tail is... sacrilegious.

The blending of scales by his pectorals is a bit much... and the pectorals are slung a bit low. But all in all, amazing work! Really love the texture there.

That's probably it.

It's the boobs. :p

Batty pls.

I forgot about them. Still, a couple of Kremlings means that Sakurai hasn't forgotten about that large chapter in DK's life. K Rool at least having a trophy in every game helps.

Did they have a trophy of K. Rool in Smash 4?

Also can anyone check if Camelot is in Super Smash Bros Brawl credit?

Neiteio

What exactly do you mean when you ask about "relevance"? The word comes up a lot, and I've been wanting to ask that for a while.
When I say "relevance," I'm asking how well-known K. Rool is to current gamers. DKC1 came out more than 20 years ago. The trilogy and DK64 were recently re-released on the WiiU, but how many of that console's (already small) userbase will actually download those games and be playing them for the first time?

It's important to note that relevance is probably more of a consideration with DLC, since one would think they want very recognizable characters that will sell. Smash veterans will sell to fans of the franchise, but beyond that they would probably want characters who continue to appear in current and long-running franchises.

Trust me, I'd love K. Rool, but he's one of those characters that Nintendo seems to have forgotten. And since we're talking DLC, he doesn't have the "history lesson" benefit of characters like Duck Hunt.

We could see him, but I'm not expecting him.

I forgot about them. Still, a couple of Kremlings means that Sakurai hasn't forgotten about that large chapter in DK's life. K Rool at least having a trophy in every game helps.

Kremlings as a whole are, funny enough, not at all forgotten by Nintendo. It's the weirdest thing, but Kremlings seem to appear in spin offs all the time, without KRool and with no mention of KRool. K Rool is only in baseball, while Kremlings are in baseball, soccer and a couple other places I'm forgetting (I think they were in Power Tennis).

Neiteio

Kremlings as a whole are, funny enough, not at all forgotten by Nintendo. It's the weirdest thing, but Kremlings seem to appear in spin offs all the time, without KRool and with no mention of KRool. K Rool is only in baseball, while Kremlings are in baseball, soccer and a couple other places I'm forgetting (I think they were in Power Tennis).
Goalie Kritter in Mario Strikers was the best

So when looking up what games Kremlings were in, apparently according to trivia on Mario Wiki, they were originally some canceled Battletoads game enemies.

...I think that kind of explains a lot about their design.

L Thammy

(Truncated)

I think the marketability of a character is too complex of a thing for us to really read for our armchairs. Just something to consider:

Who is actually going to buy this DLC? Younger kids who may not know who K.Rool may not have the purchasing power, but kids are given more and more control over a family's money nowadays. Those who have played the DKC games in our younger days may no longer by Nintendo games, moved on to casual games, or stopped gaming altogether. But much of the Nintendo history stuff in Smash Bros is most appreciated by older gamers.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Trust me, I'd love K. Rool, but he's one of those characters that Nintendo seems to have forgotten. And since we're talking DLC, he doesn't have the "history lesson" benefit of characters like Duck Hunt.

We could see him, but I'm not expecting him.

K. Rool is like the Civil Rights Chapter in a Texas History Book to Nintendo, more or less.

Watch Da Birdie

Besides becoming a Fairy-type in X/Y (which Smash doesn't I think even reference?), Jigglypuff really hasn't stood out for years outside of Smash. But Jigglypuff has the luck of belonging to an extremely popular franchise that even regular people know most of the big original members of the 151, whereas I feel K. Rool is pretty much a character loved only by gamers. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that I think he's not really a character people really know in the mainstream.

EDIT: I realize though that considering Sakurai included Greninja because he got a sneak-peak, perhaps he didn't even know about the Fairy-type when designing Jiggly for Smash 4.

Neiteio

I think the marketability of a character is too complex of a thing for us to really read for our armchairs. Just something to consider:

Who is actually going to buy this DLC? Younger kids who may not know who K.Rool may not have the purchasing power, but kids are given more and more control over a family's money nowadays. Those who have played the DKC games in our younger days may no longer by Nintendo games, moved on to casual games, or stopped gaming altogether. But much of the Nintendo history stuff in Smash Bros is most appreciated by older gamers.
Yeah, this may be the case. I'm just speculating possible obstacles to K. Rool's inclusion. As it stands, I can't help but suspect other characters will be given stronger consideration.

K. Rool is like the Civil Rights Chapter in a Texas History Book to Nintendo, more or less.
Damn, lol

Running Z+B all day long.
What a mess of a mode that was.
A glorious mess!

Ryce

I don't think there's ever been an irrelevant (I don't use this word disparagingly) newcomer from an established series before. Rosalina, Greninja, Palutena, Robin, and Bowser Jr. have all been featured in their respective series within the last few years, for example. There's no precedent for a dead/retired/forgotten character from an already featured series to be resurrected through Smash Bros. -- that's only ever happened for standalone retro representatives like Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it hasn't yet.

So I have not grown up with DKC or anything and I have one question regarding K. Rool. Why do people claim he'd not sell to people not exposed to DKC? He's a croc with a cape and a crown, sure that's a little generic at the first glance, but less than Lucas, for example; unless you hate anthro animals or are a fat shamer or something, I genuinely don't see his "dis-appeal".

And I don't mean the fact Nintendo decided to pull Kremlings away from DKC and so K. Rool is improbable. I mean the people who react allergic to him.

imo K Rool stands the best chance of any other potential new comer in the poll. I haven't really seen any other major poll front runner that had any chance of being in Smash. Most of the ones I've seen were either third party, indie, from a dead series that wasn't even popular when it was alive, or an assist trophy.

K Rool lucks out because his series is still very much alive, they just re-released all the DKC games and DK64 on the VC, so he's relevant somewhat again, he still appears infrequently in DK spin offs, and has a legacy behind him to help carry him, even if he's not the most well know right now. He also has an advantage over Dixie, in that he's visually more distinct than she is, as we've seen people already claim Dixie would be nothing buy a Diddy clone. Nobody could even humor an argument that K Rool would clone anyone.

If anything, the fact that K Rool appears to be a front running in this really does show he's still relevant, and I think he's one of the last big holes in the Smash roster. There really aren't that many major characters from major series left to add to Smash, to be honest.

This is, of course, assuming the poll event matters. Sakurai could pull another Ryu type deal out of his magic hat, and K Rool would go right back into the vault. But if he is influenced by the poll, K Rool really does have a nice chance of finally being in Smash.

I don't think there's ever been an irrelevant (I don't use this word disparagingly) newcomer from an established series before. Rosalina, Greninja, Palutena, Robin, and Bowser Jr. have all been featured in their respective series within the last few years, for example. There's no precedent for a dead/retired/forgotten character from an already featured series to be resurrected through Smash Bros. -- that's only ever happened for standalone retro representatives like Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it hasn't yet.

I'd argue Ivysaur. Who only got into Smash Bros because of a switching gimmick that fit Pokemon really well.

Ryce

I'd argue Ivysaur. Who only got into Smash Bros because of a switching gimmick that fit Pokemon really well.
Ivysaur was a starter in FireRed/LeafGreen, which released a year before Brawl's roster was planned. Pokémon are never truly irrelevant anyway since they're always included in future installments, even if they aren't promoted.

Neiteio

In Pokemon X and Y, you get to pick one of the Kanto starters (Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle) early in the game. So in that sense, Squirtle and Ivysaur are topical. (Aside from the fact they're among the most popular and timeless Pokemon ever)

Watch Da Birdie

I said this in the other thread, but I believe Rare designed K. Rool on purpose to be sort of unappealing, and fitting of a villain you want to beat. And I don't think you're "fat shaming" if you don't like him since I'm pretty sure Rare made him fat to fit his villainy, considering in DK64 quite a few characters mock him for being fat and it's used as a way to make him seem villainous.

A really awkward, disproportionate body-shape, an unpleasing color scheme, the bulbous eye, quite frankly he's not aesthetically pleasing, and I think that's by design. Rare as a western developer has different sensibilities than Nintendo Japan, and I think comparing Retro's K. Rool to Bowser shows this quite well. Bowser is far more proportionate and "cute" than K. Rool, and I think that's why he enjoys way more appeal. The redesign of K. Rool actually made him far more cuter, I think, as he's not as disproportionate, has a brighter color scheme, and his eye is toned down. But most people when they think K. Rool don't think of that design since it's only been used in a few minor appearances, they think of the original Rare design which was pretty ugly.

Another great example I think of Rare vs. Nintendo's design aesthetic is look at Rare's Candy Kong vs. Nintendo's Tiny Kong reboot. The former is obviously meant to be over-the-top sexual and mocking the idea of a "hot monkey", while the latter's design seems like the designer literally set out to make a hot monkey without any sense of irony or self-examination.

Neiteio

K. Rool was just designed to look like a corrupt and corpulent ruler. Hence he looks well-fed, given to a life of excess. That's not saying that all heavy-set people come off that way. Of course not. It's just that when combined with the role of an evil king, it evokes the trope of the despot ruler who has everything and wants even more.

The real question is why K. Rool wants a banana horde!

Neiteio

Middle starter evolutions aren't particularly popular though, at least not compared to first and last forms.
The great thing about Ivysaur is he is visually similar to Bulbsaur. He touches on all of the design cues while offering just a bit more detail. So he's a middle evolution with much of the look and feel of the first form.

Watch Da Birdie

Middle starter evolutions aren't particularly popular though, at least not compared to first and last forms.

Except Grovyle. Seriously, I think that's the only Starter where the middle form probably has more popularity than its first or final form. Probably because he was such a great character in Mysterious Dungeon, and people seem to like his design far more than his evolution.

Neiteio

Smash pedigree + the Bulbasaur line's eternal relevance as timeless starters that you could even choose in X and Y = Ivysaur is still relevant.

And as DLC, any and all Pokemon would sell like hotcakes. Nintendo is literally leaving money on the table if they don't repackage Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur for this game.

Not saying it'll happen, but I'm just pointing out it's guaranteed $$$ when it comes to Pokemon characters.

Watch Da Birdie

K. Rool was just designed to look like a corrupt and corpulent ruler. Hence he looks well-fed, given to a life of excess. That's not saying that all heavy-set people come off that way. Of course not. It's just that when combined with the role of an evil king, it evokes the trope of the despot ruler who has everything and wants even more.

The real question is why K. Rool wants a banana horde!

Rare answered this if I recall, he actually hates bananas and just takes them because he's insane.

Smash pedigree + the Bulbasaur line's eternal relevance as timeless starters that you could even choose in X and Y = Ivysaur is still relevant.

And as DLC, any and all Pokemon would sell like hotcakes. Nintendo is literally leaving money on the table if they don't repackage Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur for this game.

Not saying it'll happen, but I'm just pointing out it's guaranteed $$$ when it comes to Pokemon characters.

Yeah, I really don't think Mewtwo will be the only Pokemon DLC we get since the series is so ripe.

Hawlucha is really one I want the most, since it'd go quite well in Smash and seems to be enjoying popularity in the show too. I think this is sort of its chance, because by Smash 5 it won't have the benefit of being a New Pokemon anymore.

brinstar

The interesting thing about Ivysaur is it was the only playable Pokemon that didn't have some sort of major character counterpart on the show. Well, I guess you can argue Pichu as well, but Pichu got a lot of movie promotion and shit.

Now that applies to Greninja too, though it seems Ash will have one on his team soon enough.

Neiteio

Rare answered this if I recall, he actually hates bananas and just takes them because he's insane.

Yeah, I really don't think Mewtwo will be the only Pokemon DLC we get since the series is so ripe.

Hawlucha is really one I want the most, since it'd go quite well in Smash and seems to be enjoying popularity in the show too. I think this is sort of its chance, because by Smash 5 it won't have the benefit of being a New Pokemon anymore.
LOL @ K. Rool's reasons for stealing the banana horde XD

And I would LOVE Hawlucha. Before Greninja was revealed, I thought Greninja and Hawlucha had the most potential as Smash fighters. A flying grappler like Hawlucha would be amazing in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom