• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Oh come on, you're being silly. Brawl sold 12 million to an audience of 100 million people, Melee sold like 7 million to an audience of 22 million. That's more than 1/7 of the Wii audience, while Melee sold to more than 1/4 of the GameCube audience - and Brawl only sold 5 million more, despite the Wii selling approximately 4 1/2 more than the GameCube. Melee was a profoundly successful game.

I don't think that argument works. The reason why the Wii sold to an audience of 100 million was because it attracted people who don't buy things like Smash Bros. Meanwhile, the Gamecube was totally overshadowed by the PS2 and the Xbox, so the core Nintendo audience was a bigger part of it following. It's kind of in the Wii U situation.

Anyway, we're pretty far off topic. Those downloadable characters, right?

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Making a Smash game that appeals more to the Melee faithful would not hurt the franchise. People that don't play competitively would still enjoy it if it was quality, just like the people that bought Melee and enjoyed it without ever learning the metagame. I like Smash 4 more than Melee by the way.

So, with all this talk about Ryu, I decided to learn more about Street Fighter. I had tried Street Fighters in the past, but disliked them due to being kind of complicated and too many things to remember.

But I decided to get the 3DS version of Street Fighter IV. I really liked the idea that specials were on the touch screen, and what a change that was. I actually enjoy Street Fighter now, since the major hurdle I had with the series was fixed with the SF.

But anyway, this got me researching the series and it turns out most of the Expansion characters for IV were vets, mostly from III...

...so why are people freaking out that most of Smash's DLC will be vets?

So, with all this talk about Ryu, I decided to learn more about Street Fighter. I had tried Street Fighters in the past, but disliked them due to being kind of complicated and too many things to remember.

But I decided to get the 3DS version of Street Fighter IV. I really liked the idea that specials were on the touch screen, and what a change that was. I actually enjoy Street Fighter now, since the major hurdle I had with the series was fixed with the SF.

But anyway, this got me researching the series and it turns out most of the Expansion characters for IV were vets, mostly from III...

Because the only thing Smash Bros. fans hate more than people who disagree with them is Smash Bros.

I think Sakurai could take steps with respect to pleasing Melee fans, and it wouldn't be that hard. How about edgeguard switch? Or hazard switch? Or L Cancel switch? One of these things is already doable in a roundabout way.

Anyway Tingle 4 Smash

Golnei

I do hope that Paper Mario can get in. It would also be funny to see Paper Boy.

Paper Kirby would be incredible.

Well Dixie was intended for Brawl, so as far as prediction rosters go it's only natural people would include her now.

On the other hand when it comes to wish list rosters it's obvious that Dixie is just popular.

In addition, the hypothetical Rhythm Heaven addition most people are considering is a group character - the Ice Climbers' cut may have led to fewer people expecting them to make an appearance as DLC.

I know plenty of people, people that wouldn't post in a video game forum type of people, that would be disappointed if anyone got cut. I know non-enthusiasts that are still upset about the Ice Climbers being gone.

People would definitely be disappointed, but I'm not entirely certain if the outcry that'd come from cutting less significant characters would have that much of an effect on the game's overall appeal - I'm not sure that you'll find anyone actually boycotting the game over the loss of the Ice Climbers or Ivysaur, for example.

In any case, such massive cuts go against anything that's happened in the series so far and likely will never occur as long as Sakurai directs it - if he does continue on with the next game, we'll likely see something that uses Smash 4 as a base to retain as much of the roster as possible. After that, maintaining such a huge cast might become too much trouble, especially when the vast majority would be largely irrelevant.

Ryce

Apples and oranges.

Street Fighter is an original series, so getting a newcomer means getting a newly invented character that nobody has an emotional attachment to. People would rather see a returning favorite than take their chances with Dimps' character designers.

On the other hand, a Smash Bros. newcomer is an existing Nintendo character. Smash Bros. fans tend to be very receptive towards newcomers since it means getting a fresh character with an established history and fan base. It's less of a gamble.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just realized, since DLC characters seem to have minimal effort in their inclusion (that is, new character + the three character trophies + ending pictures + ending movie), maybe Wolf, assuming he is returning as DLC (;_;), will actually keep his Brawl VA! Mewtwo and Lucas seemed to keep theirs despite being open for a VA change.

Granted, that means no new comm link in Orbital Gate, but that's kinda expected given the lack of Palutena's Guidance or custom moves.

jnWake

Oh come on, you're being silly. Brawl sold 12 million to an audience of 100 million people, Melee sold like 7 million to an audience of 22 million. That's more than 1/7 of the Wii audience, while Melee sold to more than 1/4 of the GameCube audience - and Brawl only sold 5 million more, despite the Wii selling approximately 4 1/2 more than the GameCube. Melee was a profoundly successful game.

Smash 4 has sold like 3-4 million to the less than 10 million Wii U audience and was definitely not carrying the hype from Brawl (going by this thread), so that would make it the best and most succesful game in the franchise.

In any case, I do not agree with the statement that the best Smash needs to have Melee's mechanics. I strongly enjoy that you can be competitive in Smash 4 without having to learn the input heavy mechanics of wave dashing and L-cancelling. I'm not saying Smash 4's mechanics are perfect since I'd definitely nerf the defensive options if given the chance, but I feel it's a damn good engine. They could also add new mobility options but I can't think of any to be honest.

Note: I loved Melee back in the day and I love watching competitive matches. I just prefer playing Smash 4.

I think Sakurai could take steps with respect to pleasing Melee fans, and it wouldn't be that hard. How about edgeguard switch? Or hazard switch? Or L Cancel switch? One of these things is already doable in a roundabout way.
  • Edgeguarding is there, and I'm not even going to consider the fact I know what you were probably thinking, because the whole fact you refer to it as edgeguarding shows how degenerate Melee gameplay has become over the years.
  • Hazard switch is an interesting thing to be honest, because while arguments are to be said in favor of not having one, Sakurai/TEAM throws them out of the window by disabling 90% of hazards in All-Star Mode. I don't even know anymore what is he/TEAM thinking.
  • L-cancelling is a whole different can of worms. Let me just say there's a completely different B budget game I played a lot with a suspiciously similar mechanic and everybody said it was a load of bullshit because there is no reason to not "L-cancel" in it and it was insanely easy to pull off. Pretty much everybody agrees there is no reason to not L-cancel in Melee and that most people that can learn it at all do it consistently, yet the same consensus isn't there. I think Sakurai/TEAM tried to address that in another roundabout way, but it obviously didn't work (in the competitive community).

Pizza

I like that Smash 4 is "how good are you at smash 'basics'" like, you can watch the tutorial, read the manual, and practise to get good.

No wavedashing, L-cancelling or chaingrabbing required. Growing up with Melee, those mechanics always seemed forced by the community to legitimize the game to themselves.

Silly mechanics make smash have tiers of fans, and people in the casual crowd look at the competetive scene as something pretty out of reach, where I can pick up tricks by watching high level smash 4 play.

I think smash 4 not having mechanics that the developers never intended to implement is a silly thing to argue about. Especially considering sakurai made the characters trip and fall on their faces to discourage playing like that.

This is a cool idea. Even though I don't post much in here, I'll lend my vote. Ness mains assemble!

Thanks! I thought so too. Looking forward to the results!

Voted, tho I actually had a hard time picking since I got a number of mains, secondary and screw-around characters.
In fact I haven't played my main guy Dedede in awhile since I always goof around with random characters in For Fun :V

Yeah, I had a hard time deciding on how many characters to let people pick. I myself mess around with a lot of characters in the roster - much more than just three - but when I had originally settled on five, I got feedback from people saying they'd have trouble picking that many characters, so I thought three was a good compromise.

Crocodile

I mean I generally understand the sentiment of "the more is merrier" but there are real costs and there are limits to adding more characters. I know part of its is because the characters don't tend to be implemented super well but Mugen and its 12434153 character rosters are often a source of derision and are mocked. It's going to be interesting to see where Smash settles once the DLC is done as well as what happens with Smash 5. Paralysis due to too many options may soon be a real thing.

Though unless they plan to iterate on the current game forever, at some point the bloat has to be cut in order for any substantial overhauls to be made. And while it's true that a large part of Smash's appeal comes from its iconic cast; a significant amount of the roster don't really have widespread popularity - if ROB, Mr. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Duo, Palutena, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Olimar, Falco, Shulk, Dr. Mario, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Toon Link, Lucas, Meta Knight, Little Mac and Zero Suit Samus were cut; nobody would be particularly bothered outside of a few bitter internet mouth-breathers who'd buy the game anyway.

LOL by this criteria (merely being bothered), I'd figure you, most of GAF, most of the internet and most of the people who have and ever will buy Smash are "mouth-breathers". Like I'm sure not many people would call themselves Dark Pit fans but you still have a large number of high profile Nintendo characters in there. I really can't believe you typed this with a straight face.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Remind me, is the first time we've had Melee vs. Brawl/4 in this thread?

If that's the case, I'm surprised it took this long LOL

I'm grateful with the fact that it actually took that long. Smash 4 vs. Melee is so tiresome.

Bingo, It took 3 expansions to get a lot of SF3 characters in Ultra Street Fighter 4. I'm pleased with the roster as it is, along with several new characters like Hakan, Juri and Poison.

Neoxon

I just realized, since DLC characters seem to have minimal effort in their inclusion (that is, new character + the three character trophies + ending pictures + ending movie), maybe Wolf, assuming he is returning as DLC (;_;), will actually keep his Brawl VA! Mewtwo and Lucas seemed to keep theirs despite being open for a VA change.

Granted, that means no new comm link in Orbital Gate, but that's kinda expected given the lack of Palutena's Guidance or custom moves.
I think Mewtwo has a new voice actor. Likewise, the only reason Ness got a new voice was because his VA also does Kirby & JP Viridi (so it was a case of "she's here anyway, why not re-record her lines"). Given the nature of the Star Fox VAs, Wolf will most likely get a new VA.

Pompadour

Apples and oranges.

Street Fighter is an original series, so getting a newcomer means getting a newly invented character that nobody has an emotional attachment to. People would rather see a returning favorite than take their chances with Dimps' character designers.

On the other hand, a Smash Bros. newcomer is an existing Nintendo character. Smash Bros. fans tend to be very receptive towards newcomers since it means getting a fresh character with an established history and fan base. It's less of a gamble.

This is it completely. The only thing I'd add is that there is interest seeing these vets from 2D Street Fighters realized in 3D.

I think Mewtwo has a new voice actor. Likewise, the only reason Ness got a new voice was because his VA also does Kirby & JP Viridi (so it was a case of "she's here anyway, why not re-record her lines"). Given the nature of the Star Fox VAs, Wolf will most likely get a new VA.

Fox and Falco got new VAs probably because of the Orbital Gate Assault dialogue. Wolf doesn't have any new dialogue anywhere in the game, so I could see them sticking with his Brawl voice clips.

Yeah, Mewtwo's new voice is Keiji Fujiwara. I have no idea why they couldn't get back the old one or keep the lines from Melee.

The problem with Wolf is that his voice acting isn't just an aesthetic difference, it's a different portrayal of the character.

Wolf 64, with his British accent and cool condescension, is the kind of calmly sarcastic antagonist with an inflated ego and sense of superiority.

Wolf in Brawl is far more feral. He doesn't stand up straight, he is cocky and competitive, and aggressively antagonizing in a self-indulgent way.

Wolf 64's VA, and interpretation of the character, is totally different from Brawl's Wolf.

Can you imagine Wolf 64 saying "We're gonna have fun with this thang?" It just doesn't work.

Can you imagine Wolf 64 slashing and scratching like an alpha predator?

I don't know how they can possibly reconcile the decision to make Fox and Falco their 64 personas with Wolf's character design in Brawl. He would either have to be out pattern, which is fine with me, or be redesigned to reflect his different personality.

Question though: were the Lylat Cruise lines recorded with Fox and Falco's new actors?

Neoxon

The problem with Wolf is that his voice acting isn't just an aesthetic difference, it's a different portrayal of the character.

Wolf 64, with his British accent and cool condescension, is the kind of calmly sarcastic antagonist with an inflated ego and sense of superiority.

Wolf in Brawl is far more feral. He doesn't stand up straight, he is cocky and competitive, and aggressively antagonizing in a self-indulgent way.

Wolf 64's VA, and interpretation of the character, is totally different from Brawl's Wolf.

Can you imagine Wolf 64 saying "We're gonna have fun with this thang?" It just doesn't work.

I don't know how they can possibly reconcile the decision to make Fox and Falco their 64 personas with Wolf's character design in Brawl. He would either have to be out pattern, which is fine with me, or be redesigned to reflect his different personality.

Question though: were the Lylat Cruise lines recorded with Fox and Falco's new actors?
No, it's still the Brawl voices.

Ryce

You're really reaching for an issue where there isn't one. A different accent would fit Brawl Wolf just fine. I'm not having a tough time picturing it. It's also worth keeping in mind that Brawl Wolf was created with his Japanese voice in mind -- going from a Texan accent to a British one in the English localization doesn't concern Sakurai, and he's not going to change Wolf's design because of it.

You're really reaching for an issue where there isn't one. A different accent would fit Brawl Wolf just fine. I'm not having a tough time picturing it. It's also worth keeping in mind that Brawl Wolf was created with his Japanese voice in mind -- going from a Texan accent to a British one in the English localization doesn't concern Sakurai, and he's not going to change Wolf's design because of it.

For me, the tough-guy Wolf portrayal is inextricable from his Brawl character design, which is completely different from his Wolf 64 portrayal.

I don't know how that's reaching. The two Wolfs are depicted very differently in their respective games. I hate when people say someone is "reaching" just because they don't see it the same way.

I'm not saying that Wolf DLC has to be a Texan. I'm just saying Brawl Wolf has a different personality from Star Fox 64 Wolf and I'm curious what sort of localization decision they would make if he returns.

While sure, I'd buy Smash 5 regardless, cutting Diddy would be a major blow to the roster. And seeing as Smash 4 has mostly failed to attract the Melee base for a gigantic competitive scene (yes, its scene is pretty good, but it's playing second-fiddle to Melee for a reason), I'll probably hope for a more Melee-esque game from Smash 5.

And why is everyone calling the next Smash game Smash 6?
If a proper next Smash game gets made, I'm actually hoping it goes in a significantly different direction. As much as I enjoy playing Super Smash Bros., the core of the game play being similar throughout four installments gets tiring and as I said before, I'm pretty much satisfied with the series outside of King K. Rool (who's the last newcomer I want that I feel has a realistic chance).
I can't imagine there will be massive cuts in this series ever. Unless there is just some strange transition in the minds of Sakurai or whoever commands Smash going in the future.

Back in the Melee days it seemed like people were willing and happy to cut people like Ice Climbers and G&W. Now though only the lowest of low lifes actually want that as every fan now has voice they can use to riot in the internet streets.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHj3a06C7A

Ride the waves of hype! Vote Dixie Kong!
This Miiverse post is awesome. I liked it just for that.
Well Dixie was intended for Brawl, so as far as prediction rosters go it's only natural people would include her now.

On the other hand when it comes to wish list rosters it's obvious that Dixie is just popular.
Was Dixie Kong ever proven to be considered as her own character? All I know is that she was considered as a duo to Diddy in Brawl but disappeared after the duo concept was cut due to time constraints. Neither is she playable in Smash 3DS & Wii U.

I think people forget that veterans are much easier to make than fully unique newcomers. Even if we do get more than six characters as DLC, I would not expect more than three or four newcomers when all is said and done, that is including Ryu. What few newcomers we get thought I expect to be of very high quality.

RomanceDawn

As far as Dixie in Brawl goes no one knows for sure but it's assumed that over time Sakurai was just going to make Dixie her own character. The main reason being from the way the characters are listed in the code. Nana comes right after Popo in the list of characters, same with Zelda and Shiek, one would think that Dixie would come right after Diddy if they were to have a similar function but she is way down the list on her own.

What ever the case Dixie was to be playable one way or another and that's all that matters to me.

I just started playing The Wonderful 101 yesterday.

I voted for Wonder Red just now because this game is just so much fun. He would be a pretty interesting smash character for sure!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FYI Brawl Wolf is his Assault persona.

Mewtwo has a new voice actor.

Wait, Mewtwo's voice is different? I didn't notice.

As for Lucas I am making an assumption based on the PK Fire clip in the trailer.

I like that Smash 4 is "how good are you at smash 'basics'" like, you can watch the tutorial, read the manual, and practise to get good.

No wavedashing, L-cancelling or chaingrabbing required. Growing up with Melee, those mechanics always seemed forced by the community to legitimize the game to themselves.

Silly mechanics make smash have tiers of fans, and people in the casual crowd look at the competetive scene as something pretty out of reach, where I can pick up tricks by watching high level smash 4 play.

I think smash 4 not having mechanics that the developers never intended to implement is a silly thing to argue about. Especially considering sakurai made the characters trip and fall on their faces to discourage playing like that.
L-canceling was in by design. It is even in the manual.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The discussions in SmashGAF IRC really reminded me of this article.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

What's more difficult than adding a character, Sakurai says, is the removal of characters from Nintendo's fighting game series and the distress that causes its players.

"The amount of stress I feel, it's almost to the brink of death," Sakurai says of designing Smash Bros.'s character roster. "Because it's not just a matter of me personally thinking this character or that character is going to be in the game; it's that we also have the game balance, animation, graphics and sound to think about in order to make that character fully fleshed out in that universe. I have to think about all of that when I go through this decision-making process."

Sakurai said that a Smash Bros. game is defined by the characters on its roster. Without the inclusion of Mario, Kirby, Samus or Link, some would say, "it might not be Smash Bros." What defines the core of Smash Bros., he says, varies from player to player.

"Whether it's a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played," Sakurai said, "if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.

"I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we're making these decisions."

"TAKING A CHARACTER OUT [OF SUPER SMASH BROS.] IS WHAT REALLY HURTS A LOT."

Battlechili

Banned
I voted for Krystal, although if they weren't against multiple votes I would've gone for Quote (Cave Story) and Isaac as well.

I hope Star Fox gets more representation.

Crocodile

I feel confident that whatever version of Wolf gets in this game will be very similar if not based on the version of Wolf that appears in the Star Fox Wii U game. Not much point debating Wolf characterization until we learn more about that game IMO.

Tyeforce

I feel confident that whatever version of Wolf gets in this game will be very similar if not based on the version of Wolf that appears in the Star Fox Wii U game. Not much point debating Wolf characterization until we learn more about that game IMO.
I doubt that Wolf wouldn't be based on his Brawl appearance like Fox and Falco are, assuming he's added as DLC. That'd be like having Skyward Sword Zelda while all the other Zelda characters are based on Twilight Princess. It would be inconsistent and weird.

Speaking of Wolf, I find it funny Orbital Gate is more or less set up for Wolf. They specifically made it so he didn't show up at all, so they could easily just plop him into the game and not have two Wolves on the stage at the same time. It's future proofed for Wolf DLC.

It's also set up for Krystal

Orbital Gate is probably the only element of the game I can see that shows they wanted to make room for DLC. It's also one of the proofs that exist that Wolf will be DLC eventually. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they already recorded Wolf victory rival lines for Fox and Falco as well.

Roy and Ryu sound better to me, announcement wise.

Americans will be more receptive to Roy returning if there's a new comer attached to his release, as he's more popular in Japan and many westerners see him as just another Marth and a "waste" even if he totally isn't.

Wolf can be released whenever and everyone would be happy and receptive to him returning.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a huge chunk of Nintendo's E3 conference is nothing but Smash DLC related. Between Roy and Ryu's reveal, Lucas' release date, plus new DLC stages, tournament mode, Miiverse stage, Mii Costumes and more, it could easily fill 10-15 minutes on nothing but Smash DLC.

Kouichi

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a huge chunk of Nintendo's E3 conference is nothing but Smash DLC related. Between Roy and Ryu's reveal, Lucas' release date, plus new DLC stages, tournament mode, Miiverse stage, Mii Costumes and more, it could easily fill 10-15 minutes on nothing but Smash DLC.

Yeah I'm expecting a lot of Smash news this E3. So exciting!

Yeah I'm expecting a lot of Smash news this E3. So exciting!

Yea, until they announce "ROY IS OUT IN SEPTEMBER" and we have to sit and patiently wait for the content to arrive like we are for Lucas.

I hope they announce new DLC being released either that day or within a week or two like when they announced Mewtwo and the Mii Hats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom