• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

I still think it would be fitting for K. Rool to have his various disguises instead of alternate colours. I mean, they did it with the Koopalings, and I don't think this would be as extensive since it's just clothes placed on what is otherwise the same model. If you take his costumes from DKC1-3, 64, and Mario Sluggers, you've got almost a full set right there. Add in Klump and Krusha costumes to reference the show and maybe one other one and there you go.

The problem with Castlevania is that there doesn't seem to be a single character for people to rally behind. There's Simon Belmont, I guess. Dracula is public domain, so that's who I'd like to see. #DraculaForSmash

Simon Belmont is the one that I normally see people voting for, maybe because of NES nostalgia.

I still think it would be fitting for K. Rool to have his various disguises instead of alternate colours. I mean, they did it with the Koopalings, and I don't think this would be as extensive since it's just clothes placed on what is otherwise the same model. If you take his costumes from DKC1-3, 64, and Mario Sluggers, you've got almost a full set right there. Add in Klump and Krusha costumes to reference the show and maybe one other one and there you go.

There are many ways to handle this.

Option #1

King K. Rool
Kaptain K. Rool
Baron Von Roolenstein
King Krusha K. Rool
Pharaoh K. Rool (Mario Sluggers)
Aviator K. Rool (Diddy Kong Pilot)
Something from a hypothetical new DKC made by Retro Studios
Something from a hypothetical new DKC made by Retro Studios

Option #2

Two King colors
Two Kaptain colors
Two Baron colors
Two Krusha colors

Or...

Option #3

a5IljJM.png

Neoxon

You should probably rehost that so people without a smashboards account can see whatever that is meant to be.

With the rumours surrounding Ryu's files I doubt Capcom will get a third character in.
Castlevania is Konami, & they're kinda dealing with their own shit right now.

woopWOOP

Simon Belmont is the one that I normally see people voting for, maybe because of NES nostalgia.
NES nostalgia plus being the series' first main character and starring in the most Castlevania games, that usually counts for a lot too. They included him for that Dream TV World Fighters game and I believe he was the main character for that Castlevania Judgement Wii game. I'd say he's the face of Castlevania.
The problem is Belmont's design in those games are garbage, so they'd better go the Pacman route and go oldschool.

Also I happen to watch a DKC2 TAS playthrough yesterday and there's a lot of moves they can get from that final boss fight alone. That slide-while-firing-gun-at-floor move would make a nice dash A attack for example.

Neiteio

I just naturally assume they wouldn't be silly enough to ignore the versatile blunderbuss for a big chunk of his moveset, you could make up an entire move list for the Kaptain K.Rool gimmick alone as a projectile and trap geared heavyweight.
Yep. Blunderbuss would be great. Both King and Kaptain could use it. Although I'd prefer the Kaptain outfit be the default, similar to how Wario has his WarioWare costume by default.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder though taking in account the 3DS, how easy would it be and practical to include instant move-based transformations like that?

I mean his basic body shape stays the same more or less, but it seems like it'd be a bit clunky to have him suddenly go from naked kroc to frankenstein kroc right in mid-air.

Also I just beat K. Rool in Dk64 the other night. Not gonna lie, I used Save States because I didn't want to have to re-do Lanky's stupid segment because of those goddamn toes in Tiny's part.

Somehow the whole hype around K Rool has made me go from thinking he's stupid and dated and not really a good fit to Smash to seeing him as a charming and interesting addition and I'm really rooting for him to go all the way. We need more villains and we need more 90s representation. The fact that they can make him basically do anything and either play him off as straight evil or go the goofy awkward "stuck in the 90s" style makes him seem really unique. If not as DLC, than definitely in Smash 5.

Maybe it's all the 90s Rare nostalgia going around recently or something.

Zubz

Banned
If we get K Rool, I'd be surprised if they didn't get Grant Kirkhope/David Wise to create some new tracks for the game. They know what the K Rool fanbase would want.

I would be; we haven't seen any of the DLC levels so far, but unless we get one, we definitely aren't getting any new music. Heck, even if we did, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. I'd love to see my expectations shattered, though!

Given the recent Suicide Squad hype, I thought a Nintendo themed version would be cool.

Joker - Wario
Harley Quinn - Captain Syrup
Rick Flagg - Bowser
Slipknot - Ganondorf
Boomerang - King Dedede
Enchantress - Medusa
Deadshot - Wolf
Killer Croc - King K. Rool
El Diablo - Ridley
Katana - Mewtwo

Discuss.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
The latest installment of Smashified is finally here, hehe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDyzwTCNU2I

That's amazing!

For costumes, can you think of 8?

-King K. Rool (Iconic Crown and Cape from DKC1)
-Kaptain K. Rool (Pirate Outfit from DKC2)
-Baron K. Roolenstein (Mad Scientist outfit from DKC3)
-Krusha K. Rool (Boxing outfit from DK64)
-Pilot K. Rool (Pilot outfit from cancelled Diddy Kong flying game)
-Pharaoh K. Rool (Aztec/Egyptian like outfit from Super Mario Sluggers)
-Tiki K. Rool (A Tiki outfit resembling the Tiki enemies from DKC Returns)
-Lord K. Rool (A Viking outfit resembling Lord Fredrick from DKC Tropical Freeze)

Done. Or you could just keep it to two versions of King, Kaptain, Baron, and Krusha. Or just four versions of King and Kaptain (most likely, to mirror Wario's classic plumber and biker outfits), or just have 8 different colors of King. So if you pull from existing outfits and referencing the enemies from the two Retro DKC games, you can have 8 outfits easily. You can make up practically anything for him. So in my list, you could pull off King, Pirate, Mad Scientist, Boxer, Aviator, Aztec King, African Tiki Mask, and Viking outfits.

I could see them adding some free Splatoon related Mii Costumes to promote Splatoon. I guess we'll see Thursday if they have any cross promotional plans for Splatoon.

- Inkling Boy's Hair
- Inkling Girl's Hair
- Squid Hat
- Inkling Attire for Gunner that gives Gunner a water gun looking arm cannon.

Mii hats seem like they're pretty easy for them to make.

Neoxon

I could see them adding some free Splatoon related Mii Costumes to promote Splatoon. I guess we'll see Thursday if they have any cross promotional plans for Splatoon.

- Inkling Boy's Hair
- Inkling Girl's Hair
- Squid Hat
- Inkling Attire for Gunner that gives Gunner a water gun looking arm cannon.

Mii hats seem like they're pretty easy for them to make.
I feel like Nintendo's still gonna want a playable Inkling. But Mii costumes are easy to add on short notice.

I feel like Nintendo's still gonna want a playable Inkling. But Mii costumes are easy to add on short notice.

The only promotional things we've had in Smash were either trophies of model rips, a clone or a stage. A whole new character to promote a game is quite an undertaking, the ROI might not be worth it.

Actually looking back, Melee really was quite a sellout game lol.

An entire character with Roy.
Mario Bros 2 promotion of Super Mario Advance
Trophies from Animal Crossing, Cubivore and Doshin the Giant
Trophies for having games on your memory card (and it being the only way to get them).

Neoxon

The only promotional things we've had in Smash were either trophies of model rips, a clone or a stage. A whole new character to promote a game is quite an undertaking, the ROI might not be worth it.

Actually looking back, Melee really was quite a sellout game lol.

An entire character with Roy.
Mario Bros 2 promotion of Super Mario Advance
Trophies from Animal Crossing, Cubivore and Doshin the Giant
Trophies for having games on your memory card (and it being the only way to get them).
It's not just promotion, it's the fact that it's the first new IP from EAD since Pikmin. That's huge.

Ryce

It's not just promotion, it's the fact that it's the first new IP from EAD since Pikmin. That's huge.
EAD has made plenty of new IPs since Pikmin (Nintendogs, Big Brain Academy, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Music, Steel Diver, Nintendo Land), but Splatoon is the first one that feels like an obvious fit for Smash Bros.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Final fantasy character
My vote would be on the warrior of light

A tekken character, for those that don't know for the longest and still in many places tekken is WAY more popular than street fighter. Not saying that makes automatically nintendo related, hell even harada said they wouldn't be the best fit. What I am saying is, if jin was in tekken people would get pretty hype.

Yeahs street fighter is the end all be all of fighting game and isn't even the most popular one, yes it blows your mind I know

Resident evil, its WAY more popular that street fighter, and is just a bigger franchise.

Same with a monster hunter guy at this point.

I could make this argument with bunches and bunches of franchises.

I like ryu, I like street fighter I play it like everyday on pc, not going to pretend sf is the most popular thing out of japan, because it isn't
I don't wanna revive an old discussion at this point, but I'd actually be for a Resident Evil character if that meant reviving Snake's moveset.

Tyeforce

I'm curious, has anyone put together an Inkling move set? I haven't seen one yet. Then again, Splatoon's not even out yet, but I imagine we've seen enough from the game to work out some kind of Smash Bros. move set for Inkling.

I'm curious, has anyone put together an Inkling move set? I haven't seen one yet. Then again, Splatoon's not even out yet, but I imagine we've seen enough from the game to work out some kind of Smash Bros. move set for Inkling.

The potential's there for sure. Between the weapon types and sub-weapon types they're essentially Snake without the issue of sakurai not wanting realistic guns in smash.

Between the main weapons, sub weapons and special weapons we've got around 15 unique weapons known so far:

http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Weapon
http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Sub_Weapon
http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Weapon

It's relatively simple to set up a moveset where the specials consist of, say, the squid transformation + a couple of sub weapons like the bounce bombs & the inkling's smashes, tilts and regular attacks utilize the various main weapons from the game.

(splattershot for basic attacks like megaman's buster, paintroller & brush could be utilized for tilts/dash and maybe certain smashes.)

We don't know about every weapon and trick in the game yet but Inklings easily fall in the list of characters where the question's easily what to pick more so than if there's anything to pick from.

I've been trying to come up with something for mental exercise, but I found a roadblock of sorts. I have no idea how much paint can the game (Smash) handle. If it can handle "much enough", then the specials pretty much write themselves. If it can't, well you still can come up with everything, even if it's not as obvious, but it goes into more or less different direction.

Tyeforce

See, the part where I struggle visualizing a move set for Inkling isn't really in the moves themselves (there are enough weapons and such from Splatoon that they can pull from), but rather the mechanics of the character, specifically the ink. How would the ink work? I'm not so sure Inkling would translate to Smash Bros. as well as most people seem to think (not that I don't want them in Smash Bros., of course!).

Hatchtag

Banned
See, the part where I struggle visualizing a move set for Inkling isn't really in the moves themselves (there are enough weapons and such from Splatoon that they can pull from), but rather the mechanics of the character, specifically the ink. How would the ink work? I'm not so sure Inkling would translate to Smash Bros. as well as most people seem to think (not that I don't want them in Smash Bros., of course!).

Spacing mechanic. I mean, shit, this game's full of spacing mechanics. I would guess most their moves would have a by product of ink splatter. The Inklings would be relatively slow with a poor dodge wherever there isn't ink, but would be quicker when traversing in Ink and would have a much better dodge by diving into the ink. Conversely, enemies would move slower while in Ink. Ink could probably be removed by opponents by using down smashes/down tilts. They could also probably gain a wall jump by inking walls (since Inklings can travel up walls in squid form). The Inkling's side special could be a quick travel through the Ink, but that wouldn't work well in the air so maybe not.

From a technical standpoint, I donno if that'd be too much for the game or not, especially on the 3DS. But that's how I'd imagine it going, and I would be surprised if an Inkling moveset didn't end up using ink as a type of spacing mechanic.

Tyeforce

Spacing mechanic. I mean, shit, this game's full of spacing mechanics. I would guess most their moves would have a by product of ink splatter. The Inklings would be relatively slow with a poor dodge wherever there isn't ink, but would be quicker when traversing in Ink and would have a much better dodge by diving into the ink. Conversely, enemies would move slower while in Ink. Ink could probably be removed by opponents by using down smashes/down tilts. They could also probably gain a wall jump by inking walls (since Inklings can travel up walls in squid form). The Inkling's side special could be a quick travel through the Ink, but that wouldn't work well in the air so maybe not.

From a technical standpoint, I donno if that'd be too much for the game or not, especially on the 3DS. But that's how I'd imagine it going, and I would be surprised if an Inkling moveset didn't end up using ink as a type of spacing mechanic.
See, that's kinda how I'd assume it'd work, too, but is that really feasible? If it's even possible to implement, it would surely take a lot of work, and I'm afraid Sakurai may pass up on the character for that reason.

Also, if the ink were to work like that, I'd assume it would also be non-damaging much like how water is treated in Smash Bros., so that's something to think about, too... Outside of weapons that make contact like the ink roller weapon, how will the Inkling deal damage?

Hatchtag

Banned
See, that's kinda how I'd assume it'd work, too, but is that really feasible? If it's even possible to implement, it would surely take a lot of work, and I'm afraid Sakurai may pass up on the character for that reason.

Also, if the ink were to work like that, I'd assume it would also be non-damaging much like how water is treated in Smash Bros., so that's something to think about, too... Outside of weapons that make contact like the ink roller weapon, how will the Inkling deal damage?

I'd assume it'd be easy to implement in a future game but could be difficult to implement in the current one due to having to redesign the game around it and having to deal with the limitations of the 3DS. They have less staff working on the DLC iirc, so that could really deter them from taking on a character with an ambitious new feature.

As for the damage issue, easy fix. Just make it damaging until it hits the ground. I assume their knockback on most attacks would be kinda low, but most the projectile heavy characters usually have a hard time killing characters anyways.

Javier

I'm not expecting the Inkling to have a moveset as complex as it is in Splatoon, with all the ink covering the stage and Inkling using it to travel and such. The ink probably won't remain on the stage for long (if at all) and Inkling won't get to interact with it. Inkling's moveset will likely be heavily simplified, but the ink-merging mechanic can still be in. For example, Side+B could work like Greninja's Shadow Sneak, with Inkling traveling underground in a puddle of ink and popping out next to the opponent. Down+B could be hiding in a puddle of ink while leaving behind a bomb behind, with Inkling resurfacing after it explodes. Side Smash could be like Mii Gunner's; and Down Smash like Shulk's, but using the Paintbrush.

I don't think there's a need to overthink a potential Inkling moveset. It can certainly work within the limitations of Smash while still keeping the features that make the Inkling unique.

beta_fuse

I'm not expecting the Inkling to have a moveset as complex as it is in Splatoon, with all the ink covering the stage and Inkling using it to travel and such. The ink probably won't remain on the stage for long (if at all) and Inkling won't get to interact with it. Inkling's moveset will likely be heavily simplified, but the ink-merging mechanic can still be in. For example, Side+B could work like Greninja's Shadow Sneak, with Inkling traveling underground in a puddle of ink and popping out next to the opponent. Down+B could be hiding in a puddle of ink while leaving behind a bomb behind, with Inkling resurfacing after it explodes. Side Smash could be like Mii Gunner's; and Down Smash like Shulk's, but using the Paintbrush.

I don't think there's a need to overthink a potential Inkling moveset. It can certainly work within the limitations of Smash while still keeping the features that make the Inkling unique.

Yeah this is what I think would happen if Inkling makes it in. The only time I think that ink will remain on stage is during a final smash.

Ryce

I don't wanna revive an old discussion at this point, but I'd actually be for a Resident Evil character if that meant reviving Snake's moveset.
It would be weird for Sakurai to willingly design a "neutered" Chris Redfield while Marvel vs. Capcom 3 features a more faithful and complete version of the character.

Golnei

It would be weird for Sakurai to willingly design a "neutered" Chris Redfield while Marvel vs. Capcom 3 features a more faithful and complete version of the character.

A Resident Evil character wouldn't necessarily feel neutered if firearms were off the table - at this point; knives, stun rods, incendiary and flash grenades, laser cannons, grenade launchers with ice, acid and electric rounds, proximity mines, remote bombs, longbows and eggs wouldn't be out of place for a RE character - and that disregards the character-specific melee moves which have only increased in prominence since 4. A character like Wesker may not even need weapons at all for a complete moveset.

But the logistics of a Resident Evil character are ultimately completely irrelevant, because Amaterasu's inclusion alongside Ryu doesn't leave any space for further Capcom representation.

Ryce

Really hope there are no more third party characters
Besides Ryu, I'd only want to see Snake come back.

This has nothing to do with the matter at hand, but it’s been bothering me for months: why is Abomasnow the only non-legendary Diamond/Pearl Poké Ball summon? Munchlax, Bonsly, and Weavile were heavily promoted during the early days of gen 4, but they're all gone now. Granted, I’m not a huge Pokémon fan these days, but is Abomasnow that popular? From what I can see, Abomasnow was never a big part of the anime or anything. It’s just such a bizarre decision to remove all of Brawl’s gen 4 Pokémon and put Abomasnow in their place.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This has nothing to do with the matter at hand, but it’s been bothering me for months: why is Abomasnow the only non-legendary Diamond/Pearl Poké Ball summon? Munchlax, Bonsly, and Weavile were heavily promoted during the early days of gen 4, but they're all gone now. Granted, I’m not a huge Pokémon fan these days, but is Abomasnow that popular? From what I can see, Abomasnow was never a big part of the anime or anything. It’s just such a bizarre decision to remove all of Brawl’s gen 4 Pokémon and put Abomasnow in their place.

Well, I assume that Abomasnow is a quite popular pokemon based on his appearance on Smash and one of first pokemon group that got their own Mega form.

Watch Da Birdie

I believe Abomasnow is fairly well-received by the competitive community since he went good with Hail Teams (despite having a horrid, yet unique, type-combination), and I personally like him, but I agree that he never screamed "popular!" to me except for the Barack Abomasnow meme. He never had a huge role in the show outside of being used by a Gym Leader and some filler appearances either, so there's no Anime-induced popularity.

Hell, people were surprised when he got a Mega in Pokemon X/Y alongside insanely popular Pokemon like Lucario and Garchomp. Then again I guess Gen IV doesn't lend itself well to Mega Evolutions since a large majority of its Pokemon are Cross-Gen evolutions already, and it doesn't seem Game Freak wants to introduce additional evolutions for Pokemon who already "additionally evolved" yet, Gallade being the close example, but not the same as say Electivire or Mamoswine.

Ryce

I believe Abomasnow is fairly well-received by the competitive community since he went good with Hail Teams (despite having a horrid, yet unique, type-combination), and I personally like him, but I agree that he never screamed "popular!" to me except for the Barack Abomasnow meme. He never had a huge role in the show outside of being used by a Gym Leader and some filler appearances either, so there's no Anime-induced popularity.
The rest of the new summons are all popular “mainstream” Pokémon: Eevee, Zoroark, some starters, a bunch of legendaries, and the new X/Y crew. And then there’s Abomasnow. Granted, I rarely play with items and it doesn’t affect me in any real way, but it’s such a random Pokémon to include.

Watch Da Birdie

The only other Pokemon I feel is really out of place is Spewpa, I guess it ties into X/Y but it's one of the more forgettable cocoon Pokemon.

TI82

Banned
If we had to get a new Pokemon Hawlucha seems like the best bet to me. Very unique fighting style, colorful and exciting Pokemon. Just makes sense.

The rest of the new summons are all popular “mainstream” Pokémon: Eevee, Zoroark, some starters, a bunch of legendaries, and the new X/Y crew. And then there’s Abomasnow. Granted, I rarely play with items and it doesn’t affect me in any real way, but it’s such a random Pokémon to include.

Abomasnow is my favourite pokemon to pop out a pokeball in the series thus far, one of my faves had to make the cut eventually so if nothing else I'm happy.

Speaking of Pokemon, why do they keep removing the "move forward constantly and hit stuff" water type every single game with a clone?

Marril in Melee, Piplup in Brawl and now Oshawott in 4.

Ditto for cutting two game vet Chikorita. Why did they cut all the starters, why not have at least one starter a generation be in a Pokeball...

Blastoise, Chikorita, Torchic, Piplup, who cares, Fennekin, that would be perfect versus just using whatever the new shiny starters are and ignoring the legacy summons..,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom