• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a huge chunk of Nintendo's E3 conference is nothing but Smash DLC related. Between Roy and Ryu's reveal, Lucas' release date, plus new DLC stages, tournament mode, Miiverse stage, Mii Costumes and more, it could easily fill 10-15 minutes on nothing but Smash DLC.

Yep, Yep. I wasn't even hype for Nintendo E3 until they announced Smash DLC on April Direct.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ryu is probably the biggest Japanese 3rd Party reveal that has not been in Smash. Of course it will be at E3, after the Nintendo vs Capcom announcement.

The latest installment of Smashified is finally here, hehe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDyzwTCNU2I

1HD7pme.jpg

Village

Mention one.

Final fantasy character
My vote would be on the warrior of light

A tekken character, for those that don't know for the longest and still in many places tekken is WAY more popular than street fighter. Not saying that makes automatically nintendo related, hell even harada said they wouldn't be the best fit. What I am saying is, if jin was in tekken people would get pretty hype.

Yeahs street fighter is the end all be all of fighting game and isn't even the most popular one, yes it blows your mind I know

Resident evil, its WAY more popular that street fighter, and is just a bigger franchise.

Same with a monster hunter guy at this point.

I could make this argument with bunches and bunches of franchises.

I like ryu, I like street fighter I play it like everyday on pc, not going to pretend sf is the most popular thing out of japan, because it isn't

I'm still baffled at how people got the Lucario is a Mewtwo clone thing. I mean, that's literally just pressing B button without the direction!

I find it funny Mewtwo Kirby and Lucario Kirby use exactly the same animation, except Mewtwo Kirby has angry eyes.

Speaking of which, they probably brought his voice actress in to record "PK FWEEZE" and "HAH DOO KAN" and "HIYAA" for Lucas, Ryu and Roy.

Ryce

Final fantasy character
My vote would be on the warrior of light

A tekken character, for those that don't know for the longest and still in many places tekken is WAY more popular than street fighter. Not saying that makes automatically nintendo related, hell even harada said they wouldn't be the best fit. What I am saying is, if jin was in tekken people would get pretty hype.

Yeahs street fighter is the end all be all of fighting game and isn't even the most popular one, yes it blows your mind I know

Resident evil, its WAY more popular that street fighter, and is just a bigger franchise.

Same with a monster hunter guy at this point.

I could make this argument with bunches and bunches of franchises.

I like ryu, I like street fighter I play it like everyday on pc, not going to pretend sf is the most popular thing out of japan, because it isn't
He's talking about characters, not series.

"Warrior of Light" and "Monster Hunter guy" are not bigger deals than Ryu. Resident Evil, Tekken, and Final Fantasy cycle through main characters, and so nobody stands out as being singularly important. Ryu is the face of Street Fighter (and by extension the fighting genre as a whole), and I would argue that he is more popular and iconic to gaming history than any single Resident Evil, Tekken, or Final Fantasy character.

Village

He's talking about characters, not series.

My argument still stands, even more so if we talking about RE. the series with a movie series going on.

That shit reads like " I played sf so nothing can be as popular" there are and then some, SF isn't the most popular, times have changed and there are people now and characters now that for a great many people are just as if not more identifiable and iconic than street fighter characters, as much as I like street fighter characters.

These are things you have to come to terms with

Random dude from Tekken is not comparable at all to the father of all fighting game characters.

That's absurd.

In what market is Tekken more popular than Street Fighter and Jin more popular than Ryu?

Village

Random dude from Tekken is not comparable at all to the father of all fighting game characters.

That's absurd.

In what market is Tekken more popular than Street Fighter and Jin more popular than Ryu?

You remember that time from about tekken 3 untill Street fighter 4 decided to be a thing, yeah tekken and mortal kombat were all fighting games were for A HOT ASS minute. Turns out those fanbses don't desolve.

Also I believe tekken is a heck of a lot more popular than street fighter in, europe, the Philippines , a lot of south america. And there is the long period where street fighter was just absent from the public eyes where people epically casuals just played tekken. Like a lot of casuals.

Like Tekken 3 is the highest selling fighting game of all time to this day because of it.

Tekken is real, seniority don't really mean much. And if it wasn't for ono pushing for sf4, it would probably still be that way.

Peeps can point out Tekken characters out of a line up, or at least identify where they are from. The same can be said for street fighter.

Edit: For a great number of people , tekken WAS their street fighter.

Ryce

My argument still stands, even more so if we talking about RE. the series with a movie series going on.
The protagonist of the Resident Evil films isn't even a video game character. You seem to be missing my point: Resident Evil is more popular than Street Fighter, but no individual Resident Evil character is more popular than Ryu. They are two distinct comparisons.

That shit reads like " I played sf so nothing can be as popular" there are and then some, SF isn't the most popular, times have changed and there are people now and characters now that for a great many people are just as if not more identifiable and iconic than street fighter characters, as much as I like street fighter characters.

These are things you have to come to terms with
I've played more Tekken than I have Street Fighter. I don't even own Street Fighter IV. But I can still recognize that Ryu is an incredibly iconic, enduring character who trumps Jin/Kazuya/Heihachi/Lars (or whichever character Harada feels like pushing) in the popularity department.

Like Tekken 3 is the highest selling fighting game of all time to this day because of it.
*second highest. Brawl is #1 and probably will be for a very long time.

When fighting games are parodied in the media, it's pretty much always a macho dude in a gi launching fire balls (Ryu) or a ninja impaling someone on a spike (Scorpion). I can't really think of any media that parodied Tekken.

Village

The protagonist of the Resident Evil films isn't even a video game character. You seem to be missing my point: Resident Evil is more popular than Street Fighter, but no individual Resident Evil character is more popular than Ryu. They are two distinct comparisons.
No, but if you have watched any of the more recent ones, they shoe horn every single video game character into those things, whether they need it or not. To the degree in which, in a kano style fashon a lot of the stuff in the games seem to be movie and television inspired in how they are created.

I've played more Tekken than I have Street Fighter. I don't even own Street Fighter IV. But I can still recognize that Ryu is an incredibly iconic, enduring character who trumps Jin/Kazuya/Heihachi/Lars (or whichever character Harada feels like pushing) in the popularity department.

I don't think so, as I mentioned before, there are a great deal of people who grew up around my age range where street fighter didn't exist. And they played tekken they played tekken so much to the point where, as I mentioned before Tekken 3 is the highest selling fighting game of like all time a thing. While yes, tekken at the moment seems to be going through its street fighter 3 phase. It isn't doing as hot, might be getting a wee bit complicated. That said Tekken 3 was street fighter 2 for a lot of people, so many people that its been put on record. as much as you say " more enduring " there are problably a great number of people who can name ryu and ken and jin heiahchi and kazuya out of a line up.

Or at least tekken or street fighter guys because they don't know the name.

*second highest. Brawl is #1 and probably will be for a very long time.

Smash bros isn't fight games, don't you know that , its a party game. s/

I honest forgot about smash.

When fighting games are parodied in the media, it's pretty much always a macho dude in a gi launching fire balls (Ryu) or a ninja impaling someone on a spike (Scorpion). I can't really think of any media that parodied Tekken.

As far as tekken goes, tekken hit for a lot of people the very late 90's and early 2000's . People are still making Donkey Kong references as apposed to much else. I think as younger animators and content creators get older they will reference more "recent" suff. Also I have heard and seen tekken refences here and there, like in the venture bros. Whey they strait up say " hey they have tekken 3 in the lobby "

I saw the first guitaroo man reference, and probably only one on steven universe. And that game is old as hell, give it a sec.

Ryce

I don't think so, as I mentioned before, there are a great deal of people who grew up around my age range where street fighter didn't exist. And they played tekken they played tekken so much to the point where, as I mentioned before Tekken 3 is the highest selling fighting game of like all time a thing. While yes, tekken at the moment seems to be going through its street fighter 3 phase. It isn't doing as hot, might be getting a wee bit complicated. That said Tekken 3 was street fighter 2 for a lot of people, so many people that its been put on record. as much as you say " more enduring " there are problably a great number of people who can name ryu and ken and jin heiahchi and kazuya out of a line up.
Tekken is definitely popular, and I'm not arguing otherwise, but again, as far as individual characters are concerned, Tekken just doesn't have someone like Ryu. Kazuya was the most important character in Tekken and Tekken 2, Jin debuted in Tekken 3, and Heihachi is used to represent the series in crossovers. Ryu covers all of those roles by himself. There's no ambiguity. Ryu stands tall with Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man as the recurring face of his series. I just don't think a Tekken character in Smash Bros. would be as exciting or as suitable as Ryu.

Kouichi

Village, you're focusing too much on the series instead of Ryu himself. Not only is Ryu featured prominently in all of the Street Fighters (none of the series you listed has a singular character to that degree like Ryce pointed out) but Ryu also appears in a bunch of other crossover games where he is also front and center. No Tekken or RE character comes close to Ryu in that regard.

I can only see Heihachi coming a bit close to that but you'd be crazy to think more people recognize Heihachi over Ryu.

Village

Tekken is definitely popular, and I'm not arguing otherwise, but again, as far as individual characters are concerned, Tekken just doesn't have someone like Ryu. Kazuya was the most important character in Tekken and Tekken 2, Jin debuted in Tekken 3, and Heihachi is used to represent the series in crossovers. Ryu covers all of those roles by himself. There's no ambiguity. Ryu stands tall with Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man as the recurring face of his series. I just don't think a Tekken character in Smash Bros. would be as exciting or as suitable as Ryu.

Again I would argue that for a lot of people it would be.

But i'm verring way off topic and I have to walk to catch a train soon. My point was I thin there are characters that could and have surpassed ryu in the public eye in popularity. And and would get more hype coming to this game. As an young adult I learned that things aren't I liked as a kid aren't the hottest under the sun anymore. Hell i feel that way about mario, zelda, and now pokemon with yokai watch out selling it in japan. I can accept and like that my things aren't as popular any more. It means my favorite medium is moving on.

Thats just me, anyways I'm going to leave this argument alone,its sort of indeterminate anyway

pretend I said something about wanted shadow the hedgehog in the game or whatever

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
King K. Rool has never looked this cool.
Which is why despite having the features like a crown, bulging eye and belly it doesn't look like Rool. Rool was always a bumbling idiot. He should be more like King Dedede than King Koopa.

Which is why despite having the features like a crown, bulging eye and belly it doesn't look like Rool. Rool was always a bumbling idiot. He should be more like King Dedede than King Koopa.

I'd LOVE for them to go full on Dedede with him.

Give him an ornate, long, puffy cape, all royal like, with jewel encrusted bracers and a shiny crown, plus maybe give him some kind of roman gladiator skirt and go full on royal with him like they did with Dedede.

Mizerman

I'd LOVE for them to go full on Dedede with him.

Give him an ornate, long, puffy cape, all royal like, with jewel encrusted bracers and a shiny crown, plus maybe give him some kind of roman gladiator skirt and go full on royal with him like they did with Dedede.

Or hell, seeing as he liked to dress up from time to time, make him some crazed cosplay type villain who's still capable of whooping some ass.

Hey all! More and more of you have been participating in the census, and I appreciate it - some interesting trends are starting to emerge!

That said, I still only have 41 responses total and more is always better in this case! So if you haven't yet, participate in the census and let me know which three characters you play the most! I'll be sharing the results toward the end of the month so we can all have a picture of which characters are the most- and least-played among SmashGAF.

Alternatively, if you don't have or want a Google account (sign-in is required to prevent multiple same-person entries), you can PM me your top three characters (in descending order)!

I always considered him faux "badass" trying to hide his bumbling idiocy behind various personas or putting on an act DK64 style.
As such I think that picture is fine, looks like he's going to mess you up on the character select screen, façade is revealed through bits and pieces of his moveset, taunts, getting hit animation and so on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Am I the only one who thinks Kaptain K. Rool would be more interesting than his King persona? Just thinking back to his boss fight from DKC and all he did was chuck his crown and run around, whereas his bazooka alone had more variety than that and there's nothing stopping them from keeping his running around and belly flop moves. Also a pirate would be a cooler addition to the cast. Of course that's not his main look which is a major negative. Yes, I know I'm falling into the Captain Falcon had no moves but that didn't stop them trap.

I don't think Baron K. Roolenstein would ever be considered despite KAOS being an easy idea for a final smash.

I just naturally assume they wouldn't be silly enough to ignore the versatile blunderbuss for a big chunk of his moveset, you could make up an entire move list for the Kaptain K.Rool gimmick alone as a projectile and trap geared heavyweight.

Am I the only one who thinks Kaptain K. Rool would be more interesting than his King persona? Just thinking back to his boss fight from DKC and all he did was chuck his crown and run around, whereas his bazooka alone had more variety than that and there's nothing stopping them from keeping his running around and belly flop moves. Also a pirate would be a cooler addition to the cast. Of course that's not his main look which is a major negative.

I don't think Baron K. Roolenstein would ever be considered despite KAOS being an easy idea for a final smash.

Most K. Rool movesets I've seen have him juggling between his different personas mid-battle. The pirate costume is infinitely more charming, I agree, but it wouldn't be that far fetched see the King carrying around a blunderbuss. In the time lapse video, Omni suggested that Retro should give K. Rool a cowboy costume. You can even hear some western influences in the version of the video that doesn't have commentary. Michael Kelbaugh is following the Kremling Kampaign on Twitter, so I hope he's been lurking these threads!

Here's an example:

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You should probably rehost that so people without a smashboards account can see whatever that is meant to be.

I'm listening to Castlevania music at the moment so now I really, really want a Castlevania character.
With the rumours surrounding Ryu's files I doubt Capcom will get a third character in.

I'm listening to Castlevania music at the moment so now I really, really want a Castlevania character.

The problem with Castlevania is that there doesn't seem to be a single character for people to rally behind. There's Simon Belmont, I guess. Dracula is public domain, so that's who I'd like to see. #DraculaForSmash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom