• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird to see wobbuffet being gone as well. It suck to see Celebi and Manaphy being gone as well.

Manaphy had an actual cool effect but you only saw it once every 934 times or whatever, so you never got to actually see it enough to care.

I think they wanted to bring Hitmonlee back from Smash 64. Not only does his trophy mention Smash 64, but he's such a random trophy and none of the other non-NPC Pokemon trophies on the 3DS are like Hitmonlee, they're all starters or legendaries or famous Pokemon. And then there's Hitmonlee.

I have the same feeling for Koffing, but he appears in Smash Run. But his trophy being on the Wii U bothers me, as it's one of the few Smash Run enemies that are trophies on both games, plus he's tied to challenge, and the other Smash Run enemy trophies are important enemies like Koopa and Reaper. And not Koffing. He also has a new particle on the trophy. He's the only non-Legend/Starter/Mega trophy on the Wii U other than Sylveon.

Speaking of which, the challenge to get Koffing's trophy is going to get ridiculous as more DLC comes out and they're going to need to figure out how to fix it (Beat All Star in <6 minutes with Jigglypuff)

NeonZ

Besides Ryu, I'd only want to see Snake come back.

This has nothing to do with the matter at hand, but it&#8217;s been bothering me for months: why is Abomasnow the only non-legendary Diamond/Pearl Poké Ball summon? Munchlax, Bonsly, and Weavile were heavily promoted during the early days of gen 4, but they're all gone now. Granted, I&#8217;m not a huge Pokémon fan these days, but is Abomasnow that popular? From what I can see, Abomasnow was never a big part of the anime or anything. It&#8217;s just such a bizarre decision to remove all of Brawl&#8217;s gen 4 Pokémon and put Abomasnow in their place.

There's an npc Abomasnow (with a map model) in a X/Y dungeon. He isn't really important, but that's the only thing I can think about.

Rambi not being an Assist Trophy is an even bigger crime. Unless they're saving him for Dixie's final smash or something.

Rambi has been in just about every mainline DK game bar DKC3, so yeah this is an egregious mistake for sure.

I always thought it would fit DK great as a final smash but ehhhh bongos.

Anyway, about Abomasnow

- He has very unique typing and a unique ability
- The Pokemon Company pushed him in Gen 4, and he managed to stay relevant. Not as much as Lucario, but certainly more than Weavile, who they also pushed and is now pretty much entirely forgotten (along with Mime Jr, Cherrim, Mantyke and Bonsly).
- He's the signature Pokemon of two different leaders across two generations. I don't believe this is the case with any other Pokemon. Edit: I just checked. Jaun and Clair both have Kingdra as signature Pokemon, and despite them being all over the town and him having one, Abomasnow isn't actually the signature Pokemon of Wulfric
- He has a minor part of the story in X/Y.
- Until ORAS, he was with Lucario and Garchomp as the only megas for the fourth gen. Lucario and Garchamp are really popular Pokemon, so to have Abamosnow with them shows they think he's a big time 4th gen Pokemon.

As far as 4th gen goes, Abomasnow is one of the most memorable Pokemon and has managed to endure the years and still remain relevant. The Pokemon Company certainly seems to like him.

And imo, he's just a well designed Pokemon. One of Game Freak's better designs. Even his mega looks nice, and generally they're a little over designed for me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Manaphy had an actual cool effect but you only saw it once every 934 times or whatever, so you never got to actually see it enough to care.

Yeah, I heard that some people don't have the luck to see Manaphy but my friends and I already saw it like more than 30 times by now. I can't keep track of it but I'm pretty sure that it's more than 30.

The Wiki says it has the same chance as Moltres and some other legends, but I saw them way more than I saw Manaphy.

I was playing Project M awhile ago with Pokeballs on and got Manaphy and had to remember she was even in the game.

Richie

I think they wanted to bring Hitmonlee back from Smash 64. Not only does his trophy mention Smash 64, but he's such a random trophy and none of the other non-NPC Pokemon trophies on the 3DS are like Hitmonlee, they're all starters or legendaries or famous Pokemon. And then there's Hitmonlee.

I have the same feeling for Koffing, but he appears in Smash Run. But his trophy being on the Wii U bothers me, as it's one of the few Smash Run enemies that are trophies on both games, plus he's tied to challenge, and the other Smash Run enemy trophies are important enemies like Koopa and Reaper. And not Koffing. He also has a new particle on the trophy. He's the only non-Legend/Starter/Mega trophy on the Wii U other than Sylveon.

Pretty cool observation on Hitmonlee, hadn't noticed that! Would be cool if it was added as a pack with other Smash 64 Pokémon plus Saffron City.

Koffing having a Wii U trophy makes sense, it's a hazard in Smash Tour.

Manaphy had too cool an effect to limit it to a Pokéball Pokémon, and making it incredibly rare on top of that. The concept should be an item of its own.

The real crime is no Resetti trophy coming back. Loved that mole to pieces.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I do think we might see some sort of Nintendo Crossover elements in Splatoon, such as Amiibo-accessed Nintendo-based costumes.

What better way to take all attention and focus away from your new series coming out than to announce DLC for your much larger and more popular older series.

Yeah, the obsession with Smash is starting to become gross. Announcing Inklings during the Splatoon Direct would undermine the rest of the presentation. And then we have the people who expect Sakurai to unveil Roy at the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary event. Urgh.

Ryce

I believe they'll save the Inklings for Smash 5 or an updated version of Smash 4 for NX.
Sakurai has never intentionally withheld a character just so he could include them in a future game. He&#8217;s even said that he doesn&#8217;t think about potential Smash Bros. characters until he begins work on a new installment. If an Inkling isn&#8217;t DLC then it&#8217;ll be because of timing or simply because Sakurai doesn&#8217;t want to include them.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If there's anything Splatoon-related in Smash it is gonna be announced tomorrow. Right now is when they need to start pushing that game to the forefront. Whether that's a character or something as simple as costumes, I dunno.

Promotional Mii Hats or Trophies or Music or whatever can be announced whenever they want, the Direct will focus on the game entirely.

Any Smash announcement will instantly take all the focus and hype away from Splatoon. Even something as simple as an Assist Trophy or Mii Hat.

Golnei

Yeah, the obsession with Smash is starting to become gross. Announcing Inklings during the Splatoon Direct would undermine the rest of the presentation. And then we have the people who expect Sakurai to unveil Roy at the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary event. Urgh.

Barring the Xenoblade 3D / N3DS direct coinciding with Shulk's trailer; I think they've intentionally avoided attaching character reveals to Directs for specific games until now for the same reason - possibly also why the Robin trailer was aired alone last year rather than becoming the sole focus of any other event where Nintendo had a presence. If we ever get a Splatoon character for this version of Smash, I really wouldn't expect to see them revealed here.

So would it be neat if they brought back every Pokemon that have been cut over the years? I demand my Pokemon diversity!

I'd love it if the cut Brawl Pokemon returned, but realistically we'll get Pichu with Squirtle and Ivysaur-themed costumes.

I'd love it if the cut Brawl Pokemon returned, but realistically we'll get Pichu with Squirtle and Ivysaur-themed costumes.

I imagine vet Mii costumes fall under the very same rule that gave us Doc. No costumes of previous vets.

It's either Squirtle returns or he doesn't. They don't do in the middle costume stuff for vets.

Neoxon

I can only see one of 3 scenarios for that 6th slot.

• It's for the ballot character, which will mark the end of character-based DLC for Smash
  • It's for the Chorus Kids, saving the ballot characters for the next wave of DLC
  • It's for the Inklings, also saving the ballot characters for the next wave of DLC

I can only see one of 4 scenarios for that 6th slot.

• It's for the ballot character, which will mark the end of character-based DLC for Smash

It's almost certainly this one.

AKA, the K Rool slot.

The last two slots are probably Wolf and Ballot Pick

That gives us 2 Brawl vets, 2 Melee vets and 2 New Comers. Which IMO is a good balance of characters.

Neoxon

It's almost certainly this one.

AKA, the K Rool slot.

The last two slots are probably Wolf and Ballot Pick

That gives us 2 Brawl vets, 2 Melee vets and 2 New Comers. Which IMO is a good balance of characters.
If this is the case, it would likely come out in February 2016, just enough time to take the ballot into account.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/05/06/what-genre-is-smash-anyway/

An example of a genre that was made is Nintendocore. Nintendocore is a sub-genre of chiptunes, video game music, hardcore rock, heavy metal and more. Nintendocore mixes all of these genres to become it’s own unique thing. Today, I’d like to argue that in its’ purest form Super Smash Brothers is not only a fighting game or an action game. Instead, it should be classified under a new sub-genre: “action fighter” games.

I actually found this article very interesting so how do anyone felt about new sub-genre, Action Fighter?

I could see them adding some free Splatoon related Mii Costumes to promote Splatoon. I guess we'll see Thursday if they have any cross promotional plans for Splatoon.

- Inkling Boy's Hair
- Inkling Girl's Hair
- Squid Hat
- Inkling Attire for Gunner that gives Gunner a water gun looking arm cannon.

Mii hats seem like they're pretty easy for them to make.

Just like to point out I got 100% of the DLC hats and costume correct :)

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, now Inkling won't be a DLC character.

costume_1_2.jpg

Clearly.

Neoxon

Dammit, now Inkling won't be a DLC character.
Link also has a Mii costume. Having a Mii costume doesn't rule you out as a playable character.

I have no doubt we'll see a playable Inkling at some point. If that's DLC for Smash 4 or a newcomer for Smash 5 remains to be seen.

Neoxon

Link was a playable character long before he received a Mii outfit. This is more of a Dunban/Proto Man situation.
The point is that even though you have a Mii costume, it doesn't rule you out as a separate playable character.

Pizza

Man I'm still holding out for Smash DLC wave 2. Supposedly Mario Kart is getting one!

Actually, putting costumes for characters with smaller fanbases in as mii costumes is a pretty straightforward way to gauge interest

Ryce

The point is that even though you have a Mii costume, it doesn't rule you out as a separate playable character.
I didn't say it did. I was just expressing my frustration. A playable Inkling seems much more unlikely to me now.

Here's a pic for those who haven't seen the Mii stuff:

olx7CTn.png

Kouichi

Inklings have the same chance they did prior to the direct which has always been dependent on their votes in the ballot.

Neoxon

I didn't say it did. I was just expressing my frustration. A playable Inkling seems much more unlikely to me now.
Odds are Nintendo wanted immediate synergy with Splatoon & (assuming the Inklings are gonna be character DLC) the Inklings weren't ready for May.

Inklings have the same chance they did prior to the direct which has always been dependent on their votes in the ballot.
That depends on if that 6th slot is delighted to the ballot winner or if ballot winners get their own wave.

Inklings are essentially the new Shulk. A character from a new IP that was surprising popular. Even if they don't get into this game, they probably have a high chance of showing up in the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom