• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Inklings are essentially the new Shulk. A character from a new IP that was surprising popular. Even if they don't get into this game, they probably have a high chance of showing up in the next one.
This. While the Inklings haven't proven themselves yet, Nintendo's gonna do everything in their power to make sure they catch on.

Tsunamo

Just came to give my salutes to the people here repping Inkings, maybe next game guys :(

I'm glad they're putting a good effort into the costumes though.

Neoxon

Just came to give my salutes to the people here repping Inkings, maybe next game guys :(

I'm glad they're putting a good effort into the costumes though.
The Inklings' Mii costumes doesn't mean they won't be DLC. Nintendo likely wanted immediate Splatoon promotion.

This doesn't really change anything. Again, I don't expect to see the Inklings until Smash 5, but I could be wrong. They're probably "testing the waters", so to speak.

Inklings are essentially the new Shulk. A character from a new IP that was surprising popular. Even if they don't get into this game, they probably have a high chance of showing up in the next one.

Xenoblade was critically acclaimed. Splatoon is an unproven new IP. Not every character needs to be shoehorned into Smash right away. Look at how long Little Mac had to wait. Jeez.

Also

Xenoblade Chronicles - June 10, 2010 (JP)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - September 13, 2014 (JP)

Responses for the SmashGAF Character Census have really slowed down - I only have about 60 now - so I'm posting another reminder!

If you haven't participated in the census, now's the perfect time! It only takes a minute, and you'll be an important of
SmashGAF
history!

Check out this post to find out more about the census, or just go right ahead and participate by filling out this form!

If you don't have and/or don't want a Google account, you can also just send me a PM with your three most-used Smash Wii U/3DS characters (your main, secondary, and tertiary characters, listed in order) instead.

I'll be accepting submissions until Sunday, May 17th, after which point I'll tally up all the points and reveal who the most- and least-used characters are among SmashGAF... so the more responses I get, the better! Thanks all!

Neoxon

This doesn't really change anything. Again, I don't expect to see the Inklings until Smash 5, but I could be wrong. They're probably "testing the waters", so to speak.

Xenoblade was critically acclaimed. Splatoon is an unproven new IP. Not every character needs to be shoehorned into Smash right away. Look at how long Little Mac had to wait. Jeez.

Also

Xenoblade Chronicles - June 10, 2010 (JP)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - September 13, 2014 (JP)
To be fair, while Xenoblade was a critically acclaimed game that ended up being a break-out hit, it came out well after Brawl.

woopWOOP

Hmmyeah, even tho it doesn't prove anything yet, it checks off Splatoon for Smash in a way so I don't really feel they will be fighter DLC for this game anymore. I'd like to be proven wrong though! But it's alright, I can wait until the next Smash. Or the next one. Or somewhere beyond.

The watergun outfit looks pretty nice by the way. Still ain't buying any until Mii's are playable in online vs anyone. Just turn enemy Mii's into Helper Hares or something. Yeah, I know it ain't happening...

Alright, off to watch the Splatoon Direct now then!

Too bad they won't go the extra mile and change some of Mii Gunner's attacks to use paint particles.

Like his forward smash could shoot paint drops, his up smash could do small paint explosions, etc. No changes to the actual attack, just new particles and maybe sound effects.

Because Mii Gunner's moveset will look silly using a water gun.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch on people excited to see Splatoon DLC characters! Sure, it doesn't mean they are for sure outright excluded from this game, but this does hurt their chances I feel. Might be a way to "technically" have them playable without having to deal with a tricky paint mechanic on the 3DS.

Obviously this promotion isn't really appropriate for it, but what's with the lack of Mii Brawler costumes?

The most used Mii Fighter... gets a cat suit (and the generic Smash shirt every class got). While Gunner is just outright spoiled and Sword Fighter gets cool stuff like the Dunban costume.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Obviously this promotion isn't really appropriate for it, but what's with the lack of Mii Brawler costumes?

The most used Mii Fighter... gets a cat suit (and the generic Smash shirt every class got). While Gunner is just outright spoiled and Sword Fighter gets cool stuff like the Dunban costume.
I wanna bet we will get Ken and Chun Li costumes whenever Ryu gets announced.

Hatchtag

Banned

Some of Punch-Out's foes or the Pokemon in Pokken would make really good picks for Mii Brawler costumes.

Golnei

The fact there are still no W101 costumes must mean Wonder Red is already planned as DLC, surely.

It'd be a tragedy if we don't even get a Wonder Mask for the Miis, despite them finding it necessary to add the cat and monkey suits. Though even that small gesture would probably be a waste of resources when you consider the limited appeal of anything related to that game - even modelling all of those W101 trophies in the first place was probably more than we should have expected.

Might be a way to "technically" have them playable without having to deal with a tricky paint mechanic on the 3DS.

If it means we'll see them incorporated to the fullest extent of their potential in a future game, I'm fine with the Inklings just being costumes here rather than playable characters neutered to be 3DS compatible.

Some of Punch-Out's foes or the Pokemon in Pokken would make really good picks for Mii Brawler costumes.

King Hippo's manhole cover would be a cute outfit for the Brawlers; it'd also be a lot less generic when put on a Mii compared to a few of the other characters' costumes. If they really wanted to stick with the animal-themed onesies, maybe Pangoro would be a good fit?

I don't see Inklings as pre-planned characters anymore. They might get in as ballot characters if they're very highly requested but that's the only way I see them having a chance for Smash DLC. I definitely think they're likely for a proper next Smash game thought.

Neoxon

I don't see Inklings as pre-planned characters anymore. They might get in as ballot characters if they're very highly requested but that's the only way I see them having a chance for Smash DLC. I definitely think they're likely for a proper next Smash game thought.
What makes you say that? If anything, the Inklings are the up there for the most likely pre-planned DLC behind Wolf (the Inklings & the Chorus Kids, unless Sakurai has a left-field character he wants to add).

Of course, if that last DLC slot is the ballot winner, then that's it.

I made this post on Reddit, but it was useful enough to post here imo

I only counted actual stage songs, not events or boss fights. I included rips from other games though.

-Peach's Castle
-Hyrule Castle
-Brinstar
-Dreamland
-Sector Z
-Super Mario Bros

Melee
-Battlefield
-Balloon Trip
-Saria's Song
-Fourside
-Super Mario Bros
-Super Mario Bros 2
-Fountain of Dreams
-Jungle Japes

Brawl
-Main Theme (Vocal Version)
-Ground Theme 2 (Super Mario Bros.)
-Underground Theme (Super Mario Bros.)
-Gritzy Desert
-The Map Page / Bonus Level
-DK Jungle 1 Theme (Barrel Blast)
-Termina Field
-The Great Sea (Original version)
-Molgera Battle
-Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime)
-Checker Knights
-Forest / Nature Area (Original version)
-Wild Pokemon Battle! (Diamond / Pearl) (Brawl version)
-Humoresque of a Little Dog
-You Call This a Utopia?!
-Mike's Song (Japanese and English)
-Mona Pizza's Song (Japanese and English)
-Ai no Uta (Japanese and French)
-Tane no Uta
-Balloon Trip (Brawl version)
-Power-Up Music (Wrecking Crew)
-Douchuumen (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
-Mii Channel
-Wii Shop Channel
-Charge! (Wii Play)
-Shaberu! DS Cooking Navi
-Everything from Metal Gear
-Scrap Brain Zone
-Emerald Hill Zone
-Sonic Boom
-Super Sonic Racing

3DS (new songs added not on Wii U)
-Green Greens (Original)
-Castle Lololo (Original)
-Float Islands (Original)
-Bubble Clouds (Original)
-Mt Dedede (Original)
-Dark Pit (Mission Version)
-Reset Bomb (Mission Version)
-Lumiose City (Original)
I didn't include the 3DS songs that are planned for Miiverse (Tomadachi and Find Mii songs).
The English game is also missing Ashley's Song V2 and the Japanese version is missing Ashley's Song (English)

It's a list of the songs that are not in Smash 4.

There's enough there pretty much to support whatever stages they wanted to add, if they didn't want to re-use music between levels.

What makes you say that? If anything, the Inklings are the up there for the most likely pre-planned DLC behind Wolf (the Inklings & the Chorus Kids, unless Sakurai has a left-field character he wants to add).

Of course, if that last DLC slot is the ballot winner, then that's it.
Because of the fact that Inklings are going to be Mii Costume DLC for this game. I felt as if they were working on Inklings as a playable character now we would have seen that announced instead of the costumes at the Direct. It's not over for them yet as they could still be ballot characters but I really don't think they're working on Inklings as characters now.

Neoxon

Because of the fact that Inklings are going to be Mii Costume DLC for this game. I felt as if they were working on Inklings as a playable character now we would have seen that announced instead of the costumes at the Direct. It's not over for them yet as they could still be ballot characters but I really don't think they're working on Inklings as characters now.
Why would they announce playable Inklings in a direct for the Splatoon game, more so since Sakurai likely has his hands full with Lucas, Roy, & Ryu? It'd steal quite literally all of the hype from Splatoon. Plus the Mii costumes were announced as a pre-order bonus.

Why would they announce playable Inklings in a direct for the Splatoon game, more so since Sakurai likely has his hands full with Lucas, Roy, & Ryu? It'd steal quite literally all of the hype from Splatoon. Plus the Mii costumes were announced as a pre-order bonus.
Because if Nintendo felt it was worth the effort to start working on Inklings as characters before their game even got released this was the best opportunity to do so. Given that we got the Mii costumes instead (and detailed at it) is look as Nintendo is waiting and see how Splatoon does commercially and critically as well as how wanted they become for Smash characters before they decide whenever or not to put in a large amount of resource into making them a newcomer.

Neoxon

Because if Nintendo felt it was worth the effort to start working on Inklings as characters before their game even got released this was the best opportunity to do so. Given that we got the Mii costumes instead (and detailed at it) is look as Nintendo is waiting and see how Splatoon does commercially and critically as well as how wanted they become for Smash characters before they decide whenever or not to put in a large amount of resource into making them a newcomer.
The DLC is looking to be released on a bi-monthly basis with Mewtwo last month & Lucas next month. As stated earlier, Sakurai can only make so many character at once.

Yeaaahhhh at this point I don't think Inklings will happen, but it's really cool they implemented Mii Costumes for them! I know I'll definitely use Inkling Girl.

I made this post on Reddit, but it was useful enough to post here imo

It's a list of the songs that are not in Smash 4.

There's enough there pretty much to support whatever stages they wanted to add, if they didn't want to re-use music between levels.

Out of these, I sure would like the following to come back somehow.

-Brinstar
-Dream Land

Melee
-Battlefield (though I prefer the Brawl touch-up)
-Fourside
-Fountain of Dreams (They have to be saving this for FOD stage DLC...or so I've convinced myself)

Brawl
-Main Theme (Vocal Version)
-Underground Theme (Super Mario Bros.)
-Gritzy Desert
-The Map Page / Bonus Level
-Molgera Battle
-Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime)
-Checker Knights
-Wild Pokemon Battle! (Diamond / Pearl) (Brawl version)
-Humoresque of a Little Dog
-You Call This a Utopia?!
-Mike's Song (Japanese and English)
-Mona Pizza's Song (Japanese and English)
-Ai no Uta (Japanese)
-Tane no Uta
-Balloon Trip (Brawl version)
-Shaberu! DS Cooking Navi
-Everything from Metal Gear
-Sonic Boom
-Super Sonic Racing

3DS (new songs added not on Wii U)
-Float Islands (Original)
-Bubble Clouds (Original)
-Dark Pit (Mission Version)
-Reset Bomb (Mission Version)
-Lumiose City (Original)

The Inklings would make a lot of sense for the Holiday/Christmas season . In the (probable) absence of a new AAA game, it would remind people that Splatoon and Smash exist, and they could even do a cross-promotion.

Or at least, I think it would make sense.

Neoxon

Yeaaahhhh at this point I don't think Inklings will happen, but it's really cool they implemented Mii Costumes for them! I know I'll definitely use Inkling Girl.

Out of these, I sure would like the following to come back somehow.
Let's be honest, if the 6th slot isn't for the ballot winner, there aren't a lot of other options that are within reason besides the Chorus Kids.

Ryce

The Inklings would make a lot of sense for the Holiday/Christmas season . In the (probable) absence of a new AAA game, it would remind people that Splatoon and Smash exist, and they could even do a cross-promotion.

Star Fox U is looking to be Nintendo's big game for the end of the year.

But is Star Fox really as high-profile as Smash, or as Splatoon will likely be by the holidays?

Nintendo is going to be leaning on those two (and Mario Kart) during the holidays anyway. Inkling DLC would make sense, given that. They could even do, say, a modified Mewtwo model where you could get the Inklings free by buying both.

Neoxon

Anything could happen, I just doubt it.
And I think they're still among the most plausible besides the ballot winner (if they aren't in their own separate wave) & the Chorus Kids, the Mii costumes changes nothing. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Neoxon

This is assuming they have the new Club Nintendo replacement ready for the holidays.

I finally got a chance to re-watch the Splatoon Direct

...the costume promo is literally only for the Wii U, all 3DS copies will need to buy the costumes.

It doesn't even look like it will be available early for those who pre-order, either, since the TBA release for sale and the TBA release for codes is exactly the same (Summer)

That's... not quite as much of a good deal or even as much of a promotion as I had assumed. For people who buy costumes for both versions, it hardly seems worth the effort to get the GS code.

Tyeforce

I had a feeling we'd get Inkling outfits for Mii Gunner. It's great to see that Mii Gunner costumes aren't going to be limited to just characters with arm cannons! And while this doesn't mean that Inklings can't also be DLC characters...I really don't think it's going to happen. I think the mechanics that would have to be introduced to properly represent Inkling would be far too much work for a DLC character, so to compromise we get Mii Gunner outfits. It's kinda what I feared and expected all along, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

However, it's extremely disappointing that we're going to continue to get cool outfits exclusively for Mii Fighters, and because of the limitations of Mii Fighters, it really doesn't feel worth it to spend the money on these outfits, as cool as they are. I'll buy them all anyway, but it really sucks that I'm pretty much never going to actually see them in use. Even if they don't want to make Mii Fighters usable online With Anyone, they could at least include them in the Random character selection, ensuring that they'll pop up in game from time to time. But as it is, you have to specifically make and choose a Mii Fighter to play as one.

Ryce

Wild World, City Folk, and New Leaf were all revealed a year-plus in advance, so I doubt the next Animal Crossing is coming anytime soon. That’s probably why Happy Home Designer exists.

Animal Crossing is a franchise that does better on handhelds. Wild World and New Leaf are by far the biggest hits of the series.

The bread and butter of Nintendo consoles have been the big mulitplayer party brouhahas. That's why I said that they're going to keep pushing Smash and Splatoon this holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom