• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I wouldn't be surprised either - the longevity of their respective franchises aside, it feels very similar to the Mii / Villager's Brawl absence. Though Splatoon's dismal sales might dampen their chances, despite them clearly being set up in the same paradigm as Pikmin and Animal Crossing in terms of prominent IP - hopefully Splatoon's failure will be treated as an extension of the Wii U's, rather than a sign of its lack of viability as a franchise.
Can I use your magic ball?

Seriously though, what makes you so sure Splatoon will bomb?

Ryce

He's the most retro yet recognisable relevant to Nintendo's history character left.
You know, I really question that. He's more of a "right place, right time" character for a lot of us in the 20+ age bracket -- Bomberman was a mid-level series at best, coming from a fairly small publisher, but because of the wealth of Bomberman games in the '90s I feel like hardcore gamers who lived through that period have a biased perception of the series' importance. I don't believe any of the Bomberman games actually sold over a million copies.

Bert409

In all likelihood, Sakurai left out Ridley and other popular characters so that there's something to hype up for the next Smash.

L Thammy

I looked at the character list of Smash Bros Crusade (a fangame) for some stupid reason. Here are the ones that aren't in an official Smash Bros game yet:

Code:
Krystal
Saki Amamiya
Gooey
Geno
Mach Rider
Evil Ryu
Shadow the Hedgehog
Miles "Tails" Prower
Knuckles the Echidna
Rayman
Porky
Ridley
Weegee
Goku
Ristar
Bomberman
Toad
Ryu
Chun-Li
Waluigi

That's ordered by tier, by the way. I think it speaks for itself. I'm just going to pretend that Mach Rider and Saki are actually super popular and ignore most of the rest.

Good news, everyone - we're up to 81 responses for the SmashGAF Character Census!

We're halfway through the response period now, with one more week to go. So if you haven't participated yet, now's as good a time as any!

Click here to find out what this census is all about and how it works, and click here to participate - it only takes a minute!

Alternatively, if you don't have or want a Google account (required to fill out the form), you can participate by sending me a PM that lists (in order) your Smash Wii U/3DS main, secondary, and tertiary character.

I'm hoping we can hit 100 responses before the deadline next Sunday!

For awhile I always though Bomberman was a Nintendo character, it wasn't until around my teenage years that I found out that wasn't the case.

I'm all for Bomberman, I think he can fit right in with the others.

Are people really complaining about out of character in a game where Mario beats up Peach?

You can only rescue a princess so many times before it drives you crazy...

Are people really complaining about out of character in a game where Mario beats up Peach?
After ending of Super Mario 64, Mario got annoyed that
the celebratory dessert product was essentially a fabrication
and Peach tries to explain that
it was Bowser who fabricated it in the first place
and she didn't mind fixing it by
baking the damn thing
. In alternative Super Smash Bros. timeline, Mario was obviously not content with
her rational explanations
, as he really wanted
to eat the celebratory dessert product right now

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of, how would you guys feel about, in the next Metroid game (hopefully by Retro) that there would be a Ridley tunnel-shooter based mini-game? Blowing up galactic fed ships with your fire and slashing your way through steel and space debris? Separate from the main game of course. Either that or weave in TPS/FPS/2D Sidescrolling Samus action with Ridley tunnel-shooting action two have two stories going at once, where they intermittently cross each other for a fight between the two. It would certainly be a great way to introduce the fact that Ridley can talk with sadistic banter with his long time rival.

The final fight would likely be two parts. Probably some super enemy that proved to be a threat to both the Space Pirates and Galactic Federation, and Samus and Ridley decide to attack it at the same time, and once that baddie goes down, you choose either Samus or Ridley to end that final fight as they clash against each other one last time, which influences the ending (With Samus's side likely being canon, of course).

Regardless of your feelings on the game, it reminds me of the dynamic in Ultimate Spiderman, where you alternate between Spiderman and Venom:

Ultimate_Spiderman_wp03_800x6001.jpg

Tregard

Soothsayer
Speaking of, how would you guys feel about, in the next Metroid game (hopefully by Retro) that there would be a Ridley tunnel-shooter based mini-game? Blowing up galactic fed ships with your fire and slashing your way through steel and space debris? Separate from the main game of course. Either that or weave in TPS/FPS/2D Sidescrolling Samus action with Ridley tunnel-shooting action two have two stories going at once, where they intermittently cross each other for a fight between the two. It would certainly be a great way to introduce the fact that Ridley can talk with sadistic banter with his long time rival.

The final fight would likely be two parts. Probably some super enemy that proved to be a threat to both the Space Pirates and Galactic Federation, and Samus and Ridley decide to attack it at the same time, and once that baddie goes down, you choose either Samus or Ridley to end that final fight as they clash against each other one last time, which influences the ending (With Samus's side likely being canon, of course).

Regardless of your feelings on the game, it reminds me of the dynamic in Ultimate Spiderman, where you alternate between Spiderman and Venom:

Sounds a bit like Starfox x Metroid, with Starfox's segments replaced with Ridley.

I'd be on board.

RomanceDawn

Man id love a Ridley action game being the bad guy flying through space and destroying things. Man I'm going to start asking for that now.

Also that's a cute sleeping Ridley they made.

A little over a month until E3

When they announce our boy returns

I really want more Smash content :(

They should do monthly Mii Hats or something, those take no effort.

Ryce

I wonder if they will release Lucas before or after E3. Probably before, get him out of the way.
I'm hoping before E3. I'd like to be able to play as Lucas for a couple of weeks and then get hit with an E3 character reveal to rejuvenate my hype just as I'm starting to get bored of Lucas. (I'll never truly get bored of any Smash Bros. character, but you know what I mean.)

Richie

A little over a month until E3

When they announce our boy returns

I really want more Smash content :(

They should do monthly Mii Hats or something, those take no effort.

Pre-order Splatoon at GameStop and there you have it :p

Incidentally, shouldn't they have already announced the E3 Digital Event?

My guess is they'll release Lucas during the Nintendo direct at E3 (or after the direct w/e), and they'll also announce the next DLC character who will be ready in August. I also assume the Miiverse stage will be out, and hopefully more stages will be announced.

Hoooooooooooope

I wonder if they will release Lucas before or after E3. Probably before, get him out of the way.

Lucas at E3 would be kind of... anticlimactic? I feel like he'd be entirely lost in the blitz of new DLC. Especially if Ryu was announced.

I think maybe we'll see Lucas earlier in June than we might be anticipating

Pre-order Splatoon at GameStop and there you have it :p

Incidentally, shouldn't they have already announced the E3 Digital Event?

The Splatoon DLC doesn't come out until "Summer" not when Splatoon comes out. It'll probably come with Lucas and it seems that it'll be sold from Day 1, as the Gamestop promo seems more like a coupon, rather than anything exclusive. Especially since the Gamestop promo is DLC only for the Wii U, while the costumes were announced for the 3DS as well (obviously, they're not going to have costumes different on the two versions imo).

Tyeforce

If anyone's interested, I've created Mii Fighters for the Link, X, Proto Man, and Dunban DLC outfits using Miis that I've (100% accurately!) modeled after the official screenshots.

I'd like to share them with anyone who wants them, but before I share them I want to give them all a set of special moves that are the most fitting for each character. I've got 2332 set for Link and 3213 for Dunban at the moment, but I may change either if I find reason to do so (especially Dunban's, since I almost never played as him in Xenoblade Chronicles so I'm not too familiar with his Arts). However, my knowledge of X and Proto Man is limited, so I'm not quite sure what their special moves should be. If anyone here could help me out, I'd appreciate it!

I also have Mii Fighters for the default Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner that I'll be sharing at the same time, for anyone interested. They've all got their default 1111 special moves, and I have two variations of each based on their (Alt.) trophies from the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U versions set to 2222 and 3333, respectively.

Zubz

Banned
If anyone's interested, I've created Mii Fighters for the Link, X, Proto Man, and Dunban DLC outfits using Miis that I've (100% accurately!) modeled after the official screenshots.

I'd like to share them with anyone who wants them, but before I share them I want to give them all a set of special moves that are the most fitting for each character. I've got 2332 set for Link and 3213 for Dunban at the moment, but I may change either if I find reason to do so (especially Dunban's, since I almost never played as him in Xenoblade Chronicles so I'm not too familiar with his Arts). However, my knowledge of X and Proto Man is limited, so I'm not quite sure what their special moves should be. If anyone here could help me out, I'd appreciate it!

I also have Mii Fighters for the default Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner that I'll be sharing at the same time, for anyone interested. They've all got their default 1111 special moves, and I have two variations of each based on their (Alt.) trophies from the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U versions set to 2222 and 3333, respectively.

Both have a variety of moves, so you can basically do whatever with Proto Man/X. Just make sure Proto Man has the reflector move (Because of his shield) and you should be golden!

As much as I want Lucas ASAP, I'm hoping they don't reveal him or Roy at E3; I don't think either of them are big enough to garner any hype beyond "Returning Smash character" at such an event. Ryu, on the other hand, is definitely being saved for a big E3 announcement,

Hatchtag

Banned
Both have a variety of moves, so you can basically do whatever with Proto Man/X. Just make sure Proto Man has the reflector move (Because of his shield) and you should be golden!

As much as I want Lucas ASAP, I'm hoping they don't reveal him or Roy at E3; I don't think either of them are big enough to garner any hype beyond "Returning Smash character" at such an event. Ryu, on the other hand, is definitely being saved for a big E3 announcement,

Lucas has already been announced for June, we'll almost certainly learn his release date at E3, if not before then.

Tyeforce

Don't wanna be rude but 1111 Miis are trash.
I don't really care about that... I have my personal Mii Fighter to customize as I want, anyway. These are just supposed to be "default" Mii Fighters to have because...why not? I like them, and I'm sure there are others out there who would, too.

You don't think there's a set of special moves that would be most appropriate?

Gleethor

Lucas has already been announced for June, we'll almost certainly learn his release date at E3, if not before then.

It would be awesome if they pulled a "surprise! He's available right after this presentation!" during their E3 direct.

Edit: along with localized mother 3 on Wii U VC

Drago

So you guys think we'll get Smash news in E3 huh?

Absolutely. I fully expect them to talk about Lucas if he isn't already out by that point, and also announce the next DLC character, maybe the next 2 if they feel like it. Probably some talk about stage DLC and more Mii DLC too.

Lots of DLC.

Zimmy64

You know, I really question that. He's more of a "right place, right time" character for a lot of us in the 20+ age bracket -- Bomberman was a mid-level series at best, coming from a fairly small publisher, but because of the wealth of Bomberman games in the '90s I feel like hardcore gamers who lived through that period have a biased perception of the series' importance. I don't believe any of the Bomberman games actually sold over a million copies.

I'd agree with this. I was born in 1994 and started gaming around 1999. I probably didn't find out who Bomberman was until 08 or 09. I've never really cared about it. I think you said it best Bomberman was a mid-level series at best.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't really care about that... I have my personal Mii Fighter to customize as I want, anyway. These are just supposed to be "default" Mii Fighters to have because...why not? I like them, and I'm sure there are others out there who would, too.
Miis don't have a default set-up anyway, you can use any combination even in non-custom battles.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just wish that stat percentages carry over even in non-custom. Or at least give each three class their own weight and speed.

Tyeforce

Miis don't have a default set-up anyway, you can use any combination even in non-custom battles.
I realize that there's no single set of special moves that the Mii Fighters default to, but I'd still like to use a "default" set for these Miis, and 1111 is the closest there is to that. It also follows the Smash Tour sets for any character, which can be either 1111, 2222, or 3333. That's just the set up I'd like to have for every character in my game. There's still room for further customizable sets if desired, but I want a 1111, 2222, and 3333 for every character.

EDIT: Interesting, I guess Mii Fighters do indeed default to their 1111 set if used in Event Mode with customizations turned off. So there you go, Mii Fighters DO have a default set of moves.

RomanceDawn

This video perfectly shows how Mewtwo could be as big as Bowser and look great:

Https://youtu.be/VpOJqNHIkYM

I'm thinking Mewtwo? Then I look, hahaha of course.

I look at that and all I really see is a Ridley a little smaller than Super Metroid's and bigger than the original Metroid's. Now I know someone is going to jump in and say "but he clips through the stages!" and? So does Bowser and Ganondorf, maybe not as much but with all the constant movement it's no big deal at all. Next someone will say "but his tail clips through other characters!" So does Charizard's, is it really an issue? Even the tips of Charizard's wings clip into the platforms on Lylat. Ridley's wings will probably clip more but is it really an issue when no one cares that Giga Bowser and the Land Master clip through all things known to man and 3 secret things known only to Sakurai?

Just give Ridley a chance! Won't someone please think of the baby!

Jamie OD

Absolutely. I fully expect them to talk about Lucas if he isn't already out by that point, and also announce the next DLC character, maybe the next 2 if they feel like it. Probably some talk about stage DLC and more Mii DLC too.

Lots of DLC.

Do you think they'll go the season pass route?

I'm imagining All-Star mode getting harder the more DLC characters there are...

6 minutes beating All Star with Jigglypuff Challenge will be nearly impossible after a few more characters, and it was already a difficult challenge. Jigglpuff isn't very good at crowd control, unlike Shulk, who also has a 6 minute All Star challenge that took me 2 tries because Shulk can quickly kill everyone with his huge sweeping smash attacks.

My best so far has been 6:20... and this was before Mewtwo.

NeonZ

I'm imagining All-Star mode getting harder the more DLC characters there are...

Mewtwo doesn't seem to add an extra battle. I finished All Star thrice yesterday and it seems like he just has a chance of replacing Lucario in the Pokemon line up, rather than adding one extra fighter to the line up.

Edit: Wait, I only now realized that Lucario shouldn't appear alongside the other Pokemon. But I don't remember facing him anyway.

Mewtwo doesn't seem to add an extra battle. I finished All Star thrice yesterday and it seems like he just has a chance of replacing Lucario in the Pokemon line up, rather than adding one extra fighter to the line up.

Edit: Wait, I only now realized that Lucario shouldn't appear alongside the other Pokemon. But I don't remember facing him anyway.

Both Mewtwo and Lucario appear in All Star at the same time. The 1997 stage is just bigger than the others (having 7 instead of 6 fighters). Lucario is with the 2001-2006 people, like Olimar and Villager.

Incidentally, both Lucas and Roy will also go in 2001-2006, meaning it will be the largest stage in the game with 8 fighters, unless they add Wolf, who would go into 1997 (1994-1998), with Mewtwo and then both would have 8. And they'd be back to back 8 man stages. That's going to make no healing runs really, really hard. At least the stages are decent in those years.

Maybe the Street Fighter stage will make 85-89 tolerable, the stages make that easily the worst year range in the game (Wiley's Castle, Port Town and Wooley World). In hard, if you roll Port Town, the run is basically over. Adding Ryu to the mix certainly won't help make it better though.

Pichu would be funny, because technically a 1999 stage doesn't even exist (the previous one starts at 2001, and the one after it ends in 1998). So I'd like to see which one they'd even put him in. I'd prefer the 2001-2006 one, because it's more in line with his international release and also 1994-98 is full of Pokemon already. Either way, Pichu means they need to update the All Star year graphic to show 1999.

Also guess what? K Rool goes into 1994-1998! Enjoy your 9 man stage of All Star with Mewtwo, Wolf and K Rool. If for some reason Young Link also got in? TEN MAN ALL STAR. They'd pretty much have to split it into two separate stages at that point, it would just be too large for a reasonable run of All Star on Hard.

Breakless

Banned
Since we have evidence of there being 5 DLC slots, Ive been putting a lot of thought as to who is getting in.

We know:

-Lucas
-Roy
-Ryu
-Mystery 1
-Mystery 2

I think its safe to assume one of those slots is going to Wolf. So that leave one mystery character, that could potentially surprise most of us.

The way I see it, there are three possibilities:

1: Ballot rep: I doubt this is reserved for the ballot character. The ballot character(s) probably won't come to be until at least this time next year. I feel these characters are all preplanned.

2: Chorus Kids. They have a new game coming out this summer. Rhythm Heaven is the largest in-house 1st party game without a playable fighter. They were leaked, and theres evidence for a rep in the games coding.

3: Ice Climbers. I'm shocked at how strongly people assume they won't make it in due to "technical limitations." First of all this article is widely taken out of context, as Sakurai has stated in interviews that yes the 3DS hindered them getting in the game, but he also stated they put very little effort into getting them to work since they were low priority. Its been 7 months since the release of the game, and theres plenty of time to figure out a solution. The biggest biggest reason I believe they will get in as DLC.....Sakurai already had they made. They were working on the Wii U, and he had them functioning to some extend on the 3DS. It would not make sense to take a nearly completed character and scrap them, when they could be tweaked for DLC. Especially since most DLC characters are vets, and quickly made.

Some other things to note....based on the fact that Sakurai is giving a presentation at the Fire Emblem Anniversary in July, I feel we will get Roy announced then, rather than E3. That said, I feel we will get the other three announced during E3, just as we got 3 characters the last 2 years. Wolf will be very likely to be announced to tie in with the Starfox unveiling, and Ryu will be the big 3rd party "surprise" Nintendo is saving.
I can easily see us getting an Ice Climbers announcement somewhere in there.

Neoxon

Since we have evidence of there being 5 DLC slots, Ive been putting a lot of thought as to who is getting in.

We know:

-Lucas
-Roy
-Ryu
-Mystery 1
-Mystery 2

I think its safe to assume one of those slots is going to Wolf. So that leave one mystery character, that could potentially surprise most of us.

The way I see it, there are three possibilities:

1: Ballot rep: I doubt this is reserved for the ballot character. The ballot character(s) probably won't come to be until at least this time next year. I feel these characters are all preplanned.

2: Chorus Kids. They have a new game coming out this summer. Rhythm Heaven is the largest in-house 1st party game without a playable fighter. They were leaked, and theres evidence for a rep in the games coding.

3: Ice Climbers. I'm shocked at how strongly people assume they won't make it in due to "technical limitations." First of all this article is widely taken out of context, as Sakurai has stated in interviews that yes the 3DS hindered them getting in the game, but he also stated they put very little effort into getting them to work since they were low priority. Its been 7 months since the release of the game, and theres plenty of time to figure out a solution. The biggest biggest reason I believe they will get in as DLC.....Sakurai already had they made. They were working on the Wii U, and he had them functioning to some extend on the 3DS. It would not make sense to take a nearly completed character and scrap them, when they could be tweaked for DLC. Especially since most DLC characters are vets, and quickly made.

Some other things to note....based on the fact that Sakurai is giving a presentation at the Fire Emblem Anniversary in July, I feel we will get Roy announced then, rather than E3. That said, I feel we will get the other three announced during E3, just as we got 3 characters the last 2 years. Wolf will be very likely to be announced to tie in with the Starfox unveiling, and Ryu will be the big 3rd party "surprise" Nintendo is saving.
I can easily see us getting an Ice Climbers announcement somewhere in there.
You left the Inklings out, who are also within reason to be added outside of the ballot.

Ice Climbers saving grace might be the immense improvements in AI on the 3DS. It's seriously miles better than release. Olimar was nearly unplayable. You could run in a straight line from nose to the top of the fin on Corneria and a Pikmin would manage to get lost. Bots on 9 were awful. Now it's almost on par with the Wii U, meaning they've made significant optimizations to the AI. Even if Nana AI is garbage on the 3DS, ICs would at least exist.

Ice Climbers in 8 man doesn't feel like a real issue. There's no official indication they wouldn't work in it, and either way they can just not allow them in that mode. It would honestly make more sense than Miis not being allowed online. But he said they got them working on the Wii U, so they may already work with 8 player Smash. They worked in 4 player on the GCN with only minor FPS drops on only a handful of stages.

An issue though might be the PR. A lot of people might wrongfully assume ICs were held back specifically to sell as DLC. They already do for Lucas and even for Mewtwo, and he wasn't even in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom