• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
mqdefault.jpg

Who?

Which Mother game is he from?

Looks official, definitely. Still loving K. Rool's Smashified.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
From Mother 4, a fan game.

If sakurai cut off Ridley's tail and made him bowser/charizard sized everyone would have been excited! He was too stuck on wanting him to be EXACTLY like Ridley: huge, a boss, straight out of metroid.
Why would anyone be happy with a butchered (literally) character? You know what Ridley uses to attack? His tail. Well good job getting rid of that(!) Might as well chop Link's arm off so he can't use his sword.

ALM5252

I'd agree with this. I was born in 1994 and started gaming around 1999. I probably didn't find out who Bomberman was until 08 or 09. I've never really cared about it. I think you said it best Bomberman was a mid-level series at best.

I was born and gamed around the same time, but Super Bomberman 2, Bomberman 64, and Wario Blast were my favorites around my begining years of gaming. I've also played plenty of other Bomberman games since then too.

I discovered him from Blockbuster after renting Super Bomberman 2. Loved him since. :)

Coincidentally, there's a new video showing a newer version of the Ridley Brawl Mod

Still as janky and broken looking as ever. Although I like his side throw having him drag enemies on the ground, so that's a good idea.

He looks so compacted and uncomfortable, like he's holding himself back. DK's weight, Meta Knight's recovery. What could possibly go wrong?

I've seen and downloaded a lot of mods from BrawlVault, and compared to many of the character mods, this is very impressive.

If a random modder can create that, I'm pretty certain someone like Sakurai could make a good-looking, fully-functional Ridley.

If sakurai cut off Ridley's tail and made him bowser/charizard sized everyone would have been excited! He was too stuck on wanting him to be EXACTLY like Ridley: huge, a boss, straight out of metroid.

That's morbid...

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
From Mother 4, a fan game.

Ah, I see. Looks pretty good to me, though I can't imagine it would be too hard taking Lucas, changing his hair, and the colors of his clothes. At least compared to other Smashifieds like the fur/feathers on Banjo and Kazooie or god forbid the scales on K. Rool.

Edit: I'm all for Ridley having his own Smash design, but the tail is pretty damn essential to even be Ridley. That's one of his primary weapons of attack. Also, while that mod looks great, if they used Super Metroid wings then it wouldn't take up so much space and not make Ridley look nearly as big as he is. They already took out the Other M blade tail and replaced it with a shorter Super Metroid spade tail. A lot of people jump to say that "Look how huge, ackward, and OP he is, clearly he can't be in Smash", sure he does look like that now but it's a great proof of concept, it just needs to be touched up which the modder is diligently doing. You have to give him mad props for trying and doing very well at the same time, it's one of the best mods I seen for the game, regardless of your stance on Ridley.

Edit 2: Still don't know why people didn't just take Ridley's melee trophy model and made a better looking version of it.

RomanceDawn

Coincidentally, there's a new video showing a newer version of the Ridley Brawl Mod

Still as janky and broken looking as ever. Although I like his side throw having him drag enemies on the ground, so that's a good idea.

He looks so compacted and uncomfortable, like he's holding himself back. DK's weight, Meta Knight's recovery. What could possibly go wrong?

Every time you bring up this mod you talk about it like this is EXACTLY how Ridley would work in a real Smash title. Crappy animations and over powered move set all included as is. The size of this Ridley is actually pretty decent for a Smash bros title and the fact that he is hunched stays true to most of his in game depictions. Answer me, have you ever really looked at the Ridley Sprite from Zero Mission, Super Metroid or Fusion? He is rolled up and hunched like an old man, that is how he caries himself. You always always always bring up that fact like its so out of character. Even Prime had him standing hunched backed like little dinosaur. Other M was when he gained more human proportions with his body more elongated, even then that body type is much more fit for Smash according to folks like you who always complain about the neck and arms.

There are plenty of ways to depict Ridley and that mod originating from a single 14 year old teenager isn't the end all be all. It's more like a proof of concept and I applaud him for what he was able to do despite not liking the move set much at all.

Now you mention DK's weight and Meta Knights recovery as an issue. You do this often and every time I point to a similar concept already in the game that works just fine and is NOT over powered. King Dedede, 3rd heaviest after Bowser and DK with 6 jumps like Meta Knight. Dedede rarely dies if you don't knock him through the blast zone and being as heavy as he is almost seems like its unfair but he is balanced around that. Why can't Ridley be the same?

Why do you hate Ridley so? Why must you campaign against him? Is it the obnoxious fans and the semi cult that used to exist on Smash Boards? Sakurai doesn't think Ridley would work well but does that mean it is the absolute truth that must be written in stone and never changed for all eternity? I want know Balladofwindfishes. Without the existence of Ridley you and I would be the best of friends but I can sit idly by while you bad mouth my president!

But we already know they tried and couldn't...
We know that Sakurai considered it, we have no idea if he got the Ice Climbers treatment or anything of that nature. Kind of like Chrom, we know he was considered but we don't know if full on move set had began. Though I wouldn't be surprised considering how fleshed out his boss is.

Still, what does that mean for characters that were cut in the past? They tried and couldn't do what they intended in time or whatever, so that's it? Can't be done ever? The Dixie Diddy combo comes to mind.

If a random modder can create that, I'm pretty certain someone like Sakurai could make a good-looking, fully-functional Ridley.

Now you mention DK's weight and Meta Knights recovery as an issue. You do this often and every time I point to a similar concept already in the game that works just fine and is NOT over powered. King Dedede, 3rd heaviest after Bowser and DK with 6 jumps like Meta Knight. Dedede rarely dies if you don't knock him through the blast zone and being as heavy as he is almost seems like its unfair but he is balanced around that. Why can't Ridley be the same?
Dedede pays for this with attacks that are laggy and easy to predict.
iirc, Dedede only has 3 jumps and MK has 5.

Why do you hate Ridley so? Why must you campaign against him? Is it the obnoxious fans and the semi cult that used to exist on Smash Boards? Sakurai doesn't think Ridley would work well but does that mean it is the absolute truth that must be written in stone and never changed for all eternity? I want know Balladofwindfishes. Without the existence of Ridley you and I would be the best of friends but I can sit idly by while you bad mouth my president!
I actually want Ridley in Smash. I just don't think it would work.

I more don't like that people believe they know better and are more experienced at making Smash characters than the people who are professionals at it and have years of experience. We know they tried doing it, and it just didn't work. Ridley's probably not going to have any substantial changes to his design to make it work.

Ridley is also so often used on the "sakurai suks fire him" bandwagon that I've almost grown resentful about it.

It's because I've wanted Dark Samus since Brawl

Based on what information? Because Sakurai said so?

Sakurai said Villager would never happen. Yet here we are.

Not even similar at all. He said that some series aren't really appropriate for fighting while showing a slide with Villager (and Nintendog) on it.

That's a lot different than his discussions on Ridley. His talks on Ice Climbers are closer to Ridley because Ridley's issues are more tech based rather than because his character is from a game where 90% of the time you spend fishing.

Where was it ever said that Sakruai actually created a Ridley character model of the size in the video, with smooth animations and a functioning moveset? That never happened. I doubt Sakurai even got beyond just thinking about Ridley as a character, let alone testing to see if he would work as a character. That would be a waste of time and resources if he wasn't sure that he'd make the roster.

I really doubt Ridley was ever actually attempted as a character. Sakurai's reasoning sounded more like he didn't consider it a possibility to begin with. More that he had his mind made up about the character, not that it was an actually tested idea.

His words were
I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer, it’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.

Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to, if I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.

Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence, there are other icons, too, like Metal Face and the Yellow Devil, which help effectively portray each of their world settings. They go a long way toward deepening the game world, and I think it’s been fun to experiment with.

He was a little more hopeful with Brawl, although still stating is would be impossible.
I think that would probably be impossible. If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right?

PSqueak

Banned
Doesn't Sakurai have a thing against realistic guns (which is supposedly why we don't have an AW rep yet)? Now that I think about it, realistic guns may be a problem for Elma in the next Smash game.

An AW character doesn't have to have realistic *guns*, explosives (snake) and tanks (starfox) are in the game, you could have Sammy or Max carrying a bazooka (Sammy's speciality) or riding a mini tank for some moves (Max's speciality, think clown cart), their final smash could involve either cover fire from artilery/rockets or a single silo missile (im imagining it similar to Rocket's lvl 3 in UMVC3).

Basing a militar character around a bazooka would be easy, B is bazooka fire, up B is a rocket jump, B down could be cycling thru different ammo and side B could be just a random melee attack (if Max, you could put some sort of explosive punch like a falcon punch or more like Ralph from KoF).

It's not impossible to come up with an AW character that doesn't uses realistic guns.

When in doubt, Sakurai could just add Kanbei as yet another sword character.

Ryce

Sakurai said Villager would never happen. Yet here we are.
In the Brawl days, Sakurai joked about making Villager fight with a net and shovel. He just didn't think Animal Crossing was a good fit for Smash Bros. at the time. Ridley is almost in the exact opposite position; Villager could've worked on a technical level but didn't make sense thematically, whereas Ridley makes perfect sense thematically but just isn't technically feasible.

I could only ever see Ridley being playable if the next Smash Bros. was to include a mode to play as "giant" characters, similar to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. They wouldn't be able to use certain items or be grabbed, but they'd be extremely powerful and durable. Ridley, Ganon, Porky, certain legendary Pokémon, and even a proper DKC/DK64 K. Rool would fit in this category.

I could only ever see Ridley being playable if the next Smash Bros. was to include a mode to play as "giant" characters, similar to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. They wouldn't be able to use certain items or be grabbed, but they'd be extremely powerful and durable.

Well, I heard there were going to be new modes for DLC, maybe there will be a playable boss mode?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That's a lot different than his discussions on Ridley. His talks on Ice Climbers are closer to Ridley because Ridley's issues are more tech based rather than because his character is from a game where 90% of the time you spend fishing.

As far as IC go they wouldn't work on 3ds.

And he made 8 player smash to ensure they couldn't be supported on that platform either.

Also Ridley ruined a good stage that had platforms.

If we had Dark Samus as a unique character I would be more forgiving.

But lolnope have an assist trophy you'll never use anyway.

In the Brawl days, Sakurai joked about making Villager fight with a net and shovel. He just didn't think Animal Crossing was a good fit for Smash Bros. at the time. Ridley is almost in the exact opposite position; Villager could've worked on a technical level but didn't make sense thematically, whereas Ridley makes perfect sense thematically but just isn't technically feasible.

I could only ever see Ridley being playable if the next Smash Bros. was to include a mode to play as "giant" characters, similar to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. They wouldn't be able to use certain items or be grabbed, but they'd be extremely powerful and durable. Ridley, Ganon, Porky, certain legendary Pokémon, and even a proper DKC/DK64 K. Rool would fit in this category.

I don't necessarily think Ganon and K Rool would need to be separated into a "giant" mode. Both would scale fine down to playable size (would K Rool even need to be scaled at all?)

Sakurai's reasoning that playable Ridley wouldn't be able to fly freely is an odd one, considering Bowser Jr. is in a vehicle that has never been depicted as not flying.

Ryce

Sakurai's reasoning that playable Ridley wouldn't be able to fly freely is an odd one, considering Bowser Jr. is in a vehicle that has never been depicted as not flying.
Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car is constantly hovering in Smash Bros. It only touches the ground during his side special or when he's knocked over.

I don't necessarily think Ganon and K Rool would need to be separated into a "giant" mode. Both would scale fine down to playable size (would K Rool even need to be scaled at all?)

I don't think so. The following picture is slightly misleading because DK's hair should extent above the dark red line, but overall, it's a good visual representation of what K. Rool would look like in-game.

7R7MjIH.png

nyWJMxN.png

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

And Clone Ridley tends to want to be on the ground most of the time anyway so uh yeah.

I did like the idea's Zemraj on Smashboards had with Ridley having a flight meter that worked like Peach's hover except you could move in any direction.

Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car is constantly hovering in Smash Bros. It only touches the ground during his side special or when he's knocked over.
And yet he still needs to jump to get vertical and is incapable of flying as he does in his actual games. The Junior Clown Car is not tethered to the ground in any of its appearances outside of Smash. On the other hand, Ridley actually does fight on land in like half of his appearances.

I do feel Ridley's obstacle is due to Sakurai making up his mind about what he 'should be,' and not necessarily technical issues.

Neiteio

And yet he still needs to jump to get vertical and is incapable of flying as he does in his actual games. The Junior Clown Car is not tethered to the ground in any of its appearances outside of Smash. On the other hand, Ridley actually does fight on land in like half of his appearances.

I do feel Ridley's obstacle is due to Sakurai making up his mind about what he 'should be,' and not necessarily technical issues.
Gotta agree with Green Mamba on this one. I think Sakurai just has a specific idea of how to depict Ridley. And I'm not saying he's right or he's wrong on something so subjective. I'm just saying I'm sure he could make the proportions work if he really tried, and that tying Ridley to the ground wouldn't be any more detrimental than the limited flight of Charizard or the "nearly grounded" take on the Clown Car.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just a shame all this energy doesn't go into complaining about the absence of a cool Nintendo character, like Jimmy T.

What is Nintendo announcing tomorrow?

A lot of people seem to believe it'll be a huge blowout (specifically, Lucas' announcement and Roy/Ryu), but I thought it was just listing out the schedule and not really being specific on announcements?

Neiteio

A lot of people seem to believe it'll be a huge blowout (specifically, Lucas' announcement and Roy/Ryu), but I thought it was just listing out the schedule and not really being specific on announcements?
- A silly skit like the Mega64 one last year
- Digital event date and time announced
- Treehouse Live coverage announced
- Maybe a tournament

Basically what they did last year, is what I'm expecting here

- A silly skit like the Mega64 one last year
- Digital event date and time announced
- Treehouse Live coverage announced
- Maybe a tournament

Basically what they did last year, is what I'm expecting here

But some people are expecting actual announcements, but I don't think that's what planned for tomorrow, is it?

Zubz

Banned

I'm with you. Based on what's been quoted here, it's clear that he emphasized Ridley's size as being key, and he didn't want to scale him out of fear it'd look weird. He and his co-workers have stated that he has a "vision" of a character going into them; it's a large part of the reason we still have Falcondorf. Regardless of noted personal bias, it seems like his vision of Ridley was that he had to be significantly larger than the other characters. Thus, he probably went into Ridley expecting to make a TvC-styled giant character, and recycled everything into a stage boss when he couldn't translate it to Smash.

I mean, hell, he called his appearance in Pyrosphere to be "the correct way" despite the widespread distaste towards stage bosses. It really sounds to me like he wanted to literally go big or go home.

Last year, it wasn't anything major, just a Mega64 sketch. They announced the nation-wide Smash Demo during it, as well as the time of the E3 Direct and the Treehouse stream. My money's on something not unlike that.

2 years ago, we had a Best Buy demo for Mario Kart 8 and a few other games, too, so my guess is that they'll demo, like, Zelda U and/or Star Fox during E3 at some Best Buys nationwide again, and this video will announce that. Maybe Splatoon'll be there too, because although it'll be a few weeks old, there's still content coming post-release they can test at these events, and they're banking on that game doing well.

My guess is that this video will announce this demo, and the time of the Direct. I doubt we're getting anything as large as a Smash character, but it should be entertaining. The tweet was Punch-Out!! related, so it might be based on Little Mac training, and hint at a new Punch-Out!! at E3. But that's just me hypothesizing over nothing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
FTFY

Had to account for the potential unrealistic requests
like Banjo
. Plus Street Fighter is an EVO staple. With Nintendo sponsoring Smash 4 & Melee at EVO this year, it wouldn't be surprising if they saved Ryu for a reveal before either Smash 4 or USF4 Grand Finals.

FTFY, but I'm not sure about Chrono. I'd say Simon Belmont would be better, but Konami.

Can you bold the words when you are doing FTFY because I have to looking for any changes.

There are only a few days left to get your entries in for the SmashGAF Character Census 2015! If you haven't sent in your response yet, now's the time to do it!

For more information on what this is, click here and to participate, click here!

I've received 99 entries so far, which is great - we'll definitely break 100 entries, and the data is turning out to be pretty interesting! Of course, more data is always better, so definitely respond if you haven't yet. It only takes a minute!

Alternatively, if you don't have or want a Google account, you can participate by sending me a PM listing (in order) your main, secondary, and tertiary characters in Smash Wii U / 3DS (three characters total).

Thanks to all of you who have participated already! Hope to see some more entries rolling in soon!

Neiteio

I recommend everyone votes in Ash's census.

The part where he asks for your SSN and bank PIN is a lil' fishy, but other than it seems perfectly legit!

Wow, I didn't realize E3 was so close, feels like time is just flying by.

I'm with you. Based on what's been quoted here, it's clear that he emphasized Ridley's size as being key, and he didn't want to scale him out of fear it'd look weird. He and his co-workers have stated that he has a "vision" of a character going into them; it's a large part of the reason we still have Falcondorf.

God that name just fills me with disappointment.

MagnesD3

Im not one to have sakurai's word held up high at all, I know for a fact that ridley is doable this is easy to see when you have a 14 year old come up with a design for the character who doesnt have a ton of resources at all make up something that is relatively close to what a good ridley design could be like. Yes animations and balancing would definitely need to be toned quite a bit but that's honestly shouldnt be a problem if sakurai and his team were all that great. The truth is sakurai thinks ridley should be bigger than other characters and likes him in his boss role and thats that just like how he wants ganon to remain a clone because he likes ganon that way regardless of the fact ganon has a plethora of source material to create a new moveset from...

Sakurai does what sakurai wants, his opinion is sadly all that matters. Its one of the main reasons Id love to have a new director for smash 5 and see smash head into a new direction.

Diffense

Probably smash 5 can have a Boss Battle mode where huge characters like Ridley, Kraid and Metal Face can battle each other and destroy the environment.

He doesn't change Ganondorf because doing so would disappoint fans of his playstyle. It would basically be like cutting him for those people.

I like Ganondorf as he is, although I think a few of his more athletic moves (flip kicks and stuff) need more weight behind the animation. He needs the Falco treatment, just gut everything and recreate him with all new animations except three of his specials.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Had the game since release and my biggest complaint is that there's no online 1 vs 1 outside of Glory Mode. I want to play all the levels with items not just the final destination versions and 4 players For Fun is too damn laggy most of the time. Why they left it out I don't know.

leroidys

Had the game since release and my biggest complaint is that there's no online 1 vs 1 outside of Glory Mode. I want to play all the levels with items not just the final destination versions and 4 players For Fun is too damn laggy most of the time. Why they left it out I don't know.

Agree 100%. Final destination is so goddamn boring and unbalanced.

Neoxon

My complaint is that they don't allow for the likes of Smashville or Battlefield in For Glory. Keep the crazy stages out, sure, but at least allow the 2 stages mentioned.

Also, let us use Custom Moves in For Glory. I haven't touched the mode in months for that reason.

My complaint is that they don't allow for the likes of Smashville or Battlefield in For Glory. Keep the crazy stages out, sure, but at least allow the 2 stages mentioned.

Also, let us use Custom Moves in For Glory. I haven't touched the mode in months for that reason.

How would this even work? How would they reach a conscientious on what's allowed or not?

Stages allowed is probably one of the biggest differences between regions for Smash. Finding what stages work well for competitive worldwide would be challenging, other than Battlefield.

The Japanese ban Town and City for example and would faint if they knew Americans played on Halberd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom