• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
He doesn't change Ganondorf because doing so would disappoint fans of his playstyle. It would basically be like cutting him for those people.

Sakurai didn't seem to care about pissing off Falco or Pit fans. Just give the heavy Captain Falcon moveset to a more fitting character and give one of the biggest villains in video games a proper moveset already.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sakurai didn't seem to care about pissing off Falco or Pit fans. Just give the heavy Captain Falcon moveset to a more fitting character and give one of the biggest villains in video games a proper moveset already.
Why does Smash chat always end up with Ridley being brought up?

What many people want for Ganondorf is not a Falco or Pit remake. A Falco or Pit styled Ganondorf would still fight with punches and kicks but still have Warlock Punch. He'd still be slow. He wouldn't use a sword. The fundamentals of Pit and Falco didn't change. Their animations and moves changed, but the fundamentals of them stayed the same. Pit has the most aggressive special move changes ever and Falco has the most aggressive normal move changes ever (Falco actually has more animation changes than Luigi), and yet even if we combined those changes Ganondorf would still have Falcon in him.

We've never had a total scrapping of a character to have them be redone with a completely new move set. Pit and Falco are the closest things and yet both retain the same "flavor" they originally had.

Hatchtag

Banned

I love Ganondorf's moveset, but I'd trade it to Hades any day of the week. Hades could pull it off perfectly. Plus I mean it gives Kid Icarus Uprising more love and shows off the best villain Nintendo's had in the past decade.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Aren't the fans that don't want Dorf to quit driving F-Zero racers the Melee fans that would find something to complain about anyway? It is still a huge waste of potential any way you warlock punch it.

Hatchtag

Banned
Aren't the fans that don't want Dorf to quit driving F-Zero racers the Melee fans that would find something to complain about anyway? It is still a huge waste of potential any way you warlock punch it.

Nah, I love Ganondorf in Melee and Smash 4. In Brawl's he's just terrible (though so is Falcon), but he feels right in Melee and Smash 4, for different reasons. I'd maybe like him to be a little faster, but with the overall slower pace of Smash 4, it isn't a big issue. I also wouldn't mind him getting his down b regain jump trick back, but again, not a big issue because recovering is easier in Smash 4.

Brawl just felt like a misfire where they made him slower but didn't give him anywhere near enough power to make up for it.

When Melee came out, all Ganondorf had done prior to that was be mentioned in the instruction manual for LttP, play an organ, fire a beam of darkness (which Melee Warlock Punch gets its voice clip from) and shoot orbs.

It wasn't until Wind Waker that Ganondorf became a badass with swords. Where he's flipping around and flowing with two large swords. I really like this Ganondorf, but his style is also somewhat specific of his "Toon" design.

Then with Twilight Princess he somewhat adopted more of a Smash style, with more brutal, powerful motions to his attacks. He also gets his forward tilt, down tilt and side special (all added in Brawl) from Twilight Princess. So his improvements since Melee were adopted into his moveset.

Is there really a need for him to get a total redo if the redo would more or less be full of made up Smash original moves anyway? Especially considering his side special isn't going anywhere.

The only improvement I think they could make would be to give Ganondorf some orbs that he fires with throws (like Mewtwo), give him some kind of unique up special because that move is still very much Falcon's, and make sure he has 100% unique normals. Keep Warlock Punch, Choke and Wizard's Foot.

I'M FINISHED!

I agree with the idea that some Smash fans have floated around the internet since the days of Brawl hype. Make Black Shadow the new heavy Falcon and make something new for Dorf and be done with it.

I'M FINISHED!

Or put F-Zero vehicles in Zelda.

NeonZ

I'd be satisfied if Ganondorf just got a projectile. Replace his Down-B with one. His Up B could be more fitting too. A grab move just doesn't fit Ganondorf well - even the custom move where it just becomes an uppercut would be an improvement.

Neoxon

How would this even work? How would they reach a conscientious on what's allowed or not?

Stages allowed is probably one of the biggest differences between regions for Smash. Finding what stages work well for competitive worldwide would be challenging, other than Battlefield.

The Japanese ban Town and City for example and would faint if they knew Americans played on Halberd.
That's why I just said Battlefield & Smashville on top of FD, so nobody gets angry about the stage choices.

Zubz

Banned
I love Ganondorf's moveset, but I'd trade it to Hades any day of the week. Hades could pull it off perfectly. Plus I mean it gives Kid Icarus Uprising more love and shows off the best villain Nintendo's had in the past decade.

I was always a proponent of giving Ganondorf a proper moveset and giving the Falcondorf build to Black Shadow, but I think you just found a way to get Hades in the game that I can get behind... Seriously, he's only around for half of one game, and he's already one of my favorite Nintendo characters; I'd love to see him take over that moveset for the next game!

... However, seeing how we've had this moveset for 3 games, I think Ganondorf is staying as he is.

Richie

I enjoyed the game plenty, but if there's a title in Smash 4 that doesn't need an iota of further love that is Kid Icarus Uprising.

woopWOOP

I'd be satisfied if Ganondorf just got a projectile. Replace his Down-B with one. His Up B could be more fitting too. A grab move just doesn't fit Ganondorf well - even the custom move where it just becomes an uppercut would be an improvement.
That orb attack from OoT really seems like an obvious missing B-move, but I guess it doesn't really fit into the fighter type Ganondorf is anyway.

There's a pretty cool Brawl moveset mod for Ganondorf out there, where instead of running he floats over the ground and his smash attacks/tilts are changed to him throwing around orbs of dark magic. Something like that could work, tho it makes him look a little too much like Mewtwo.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ganondorf's weirdest move is his Warlock Kick by far, it feels too over-the-top...

Why they didn't borrow what they did with Zelda, and have his Down-B become a summon Phantom Ganon, I don't know. That would've been perfect. PERFECT!

Hatchtag

Banned
Ganondorf's weirdest move is his Warlock Kick by far, it feels too over-the-top...

Why they didn't borrow what they did with Zelda, and have his Down-B become a summon Phantom Ganon, I don't know. That would've been perfect. PERFECT!

His Warlock Kick doesn't feel too over the top given his down aerial, plus its a good option for traversal. It's an attack that would change the whole moveset if changed.

Golnei

His Warlock Kick doesn't feel too over the top given his down aerial, plus its a good option for traversal. It's an attack that would change the whole moveset if changed.

It might actually be tolerable if the move retained the same functionality, but used an animation of him charging forwards with OoT Phantom Ganon / Ganon's trident instead of doing a completely incongruous flying kick. His up-tilt would also feel much more in-character if the long windup was due to summoning a weapon rather than having his hip seize up - completely reconceptualising some of those moves, even if just from a visual standpoint, should have been done in Brawl instead of reworking nearly all of his animations only to create ones still similar to Captain Falcon. If Sakurai really didn't want to alienate fans of the moveset, the least that could have been done was to make that moveset feel like it fit Ganondorf - the Brawl revision was more of a half-measure that ended up seeming less appropriate in some respects; that run in particular.

I'm alright with Ganondorf's basic attacks, but my problem is his lack of magic use.

Warlock Punch? That's ok. Flame Choke? That's fine. Wizard's Foot & Dark Dive are my biggest dislikes. Why not have him levitate/fly/teleport? Or give him a projectile for long-ranged combat?

Don't really care about his sword, though it would give him some deadly range.

Also his run looks ridiculous.

It might actually be tolerable if the move retained the same functionality, but used an animation of him charging forwards with OoT Phantom Ganon / Ganon's trident instead of doing a completely incongruous flying kick. His up-tilt would also feel much more in-character if the long windup was due to summoning a weapon rather than having his hip seize up - completely reconceptualising some of those moves, even if just from a visual standpoint, should have been done in Brawl instead of reworking nearly all of his animations only to create ones still similar to Captain Falcon. If Sakurai really didn't want to alienate fans of the moveset, the least that could have been done was to make that moveset feel like it fit Ganondorf - the Brawl revision was more of a half-measure that ended up seeming less appropriate in some respects; that run in particular.

That could work too.

I'm really not asking for much, but a couple of changes for Ganondorf could really help.

Zubz

Banned
When's Ryu?

I'm hoping they reveal him at EVO. Like, after the Smash 4 finals, just have a smoke machine go off as Daigo comes out on stage with Reggie as a Hype Man, saying that the victor has not yet won until he's defeated Nintendo's new Champion, Mr. Umehara. He then snatches a controller, puts in a code, and reveals that the copy of Smash being used had Ryu and a Street Fighter stage on it all along. Daigo stoically plugs in a fight stick, sits down, picks Ryu with a skin based on Ken's outfit from Moment #37, and then Reggie declares this fight to be the true "Final Destination."

... And then Daigo gets wrecked because he has no Smash experience.
Fantasizing aside, I think that EVO's the best place to reveal the fighting game character, and Smash is 2/9 of the line-up this year, anyway. After waiting until a closed press-conference after the publicized Smash Fest for the Pac-Man reveal last year, though, I can see Nintendo passing on revealing a character at an event they aren't even running.

I'm more concerned about a release for Lucas.

Part of me thinks they'll release him before E3 so they can start E3 with a clean DLC slate.

I think that's a good idea, too; I think Lucas'll be released during E3 at the latest.

Evo is not the best time at all to announce the largest DLC character Smash will probably ever get.

I think people think "it makes sense" and ignore that it makes far more sense to announce Ryu at E3 and maybe just have an exclusive demo of him at Evo.

Neoxon

Evo is not the best time at all to announce the largest DLC character Smash will probably ever get.

I think people think "it makes sense" and ignore that it makes far more sense to announce Ryu at E3 and maybe just have an exclusive demo of him at Evo.
Don't underestimate EVO. Character reveals over there aren't uncommon from other companies. Seeing as Smash has been more accepted into the FGC, it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Don't underestimate EVO. Character reveals over there aren't uncommon from other companies. Seeing as Smash has been more accepted into the FGC, it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

But EVO isn't a specific audiences that Nintendo are looking for to sell Smash DLC. They would rather to have worldwide audiences which is pretty much E3 and Direct.

Don't overestimate EVO.

It's E3. If not Ryu than who? Roy? Pfft. No, they'll announce the biggest new comer DLC Smash is getting at the biggest video game press event of the year.

Sonic is the only third party character in the history of Smash to not be announced at E3, and that makes sense considering there was no E3 between when he was created to when Brawl came out. Had there been one, he'd have been announced at it.

Hatchtag

Banned

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but Smash also appeals more to the non-FGC than other fighting games. I definitely think announcing Ryu would reach a wider audience at E3 than at EVO.

Neoxon

But EVO isn't a specific audiences that Nintendo are looking for to sell Smash DLC. They would rather to have worldwide audiences which is pretty much E3 and Direct.
Don't overestimate EVO.

It's E3. If not Ryu than who? Roy? Pfft. No, they'll announce the biggest new comer DLC Smash is getting at the biggest video game press event of the year.

Sonic is the only third party character in the history of Smash to not be announced at E3, and that makes sense considering there was no E3 between when he was created to when Brawl came out. Had there been one, he'd have been announced at it.
It's not out of the realm of possibility, but Smash also appeals more to the non-FGC than other fighting games. I definitely think announcing Ryu would reach a wider audience at E3 than at EVO.
But others will pay attention. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, I'm saying it's a possibility that we should consider if Ryu &/or Roy is/are absent at E3. While yes, I do agree that E3 is more likely, the fact that Ryu is an EVO staple does make it a remote possibility that Ryu could be saved for EVO. Not a likely possibility, but one nonetheless.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Part of me thinks they'll release him before E3 so they can start E3 with a clean DLC slate.

I have a weird feeling that they might hold Lucas back. They could announce other few characters with him so they can discuss about seasons pass or prices with the audiences. I found it weird that they don't have any price set up for Lucas when they already have a price for Mewtwo.

If not Ryu than who? Roy? Pfft. No, they'll announce the biggest new comer DLC Smash is getting at the biggest video game press event of the year.

I don't know Street Fighter too well, but isn't Ryu, like, Samus sized? Sure, Ridley is a no-go, but I wouldn't exactly rule out something bigger happening.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
At EVO they'll announce a new stage is available to download for Super Smash Bros
for 3DS

I have a weird feeling that they might hold Lucas back. They could announce other few characters with him so they can discuss about seasons pass or prices with the audiences. I found it weird that they don't have any price set up for Lucas when they already have a price for Mewtwo.

I think they wanted to see if Mewtwo sold at that price before pricing Lucas

They may also price Lucas and Roy cheaper than Mewtwo or Ryu since they're based on other characters and might seem "less valuable" to consumers than full characters (even if that's bologna).

I honestly agree with this. E3 is a perfect moment to announce some sort of season pass.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they won't experiment with pricing though.

Zubz

Banned

Yeah; this'd be far from the first time a developer revealed a new fighting game character at EVO. Heck, PSASBR revealed it's "Originated-in-a-fighting-game" character there, too (Heihachi). Granted, we don't have a hazard toggle because Sakurai wanted to distance himself from that game, so...

Anyway, it can go either way. E3 has the wider audience, but EVO might endear them to the competitive scene. I'm hoping Ryu's saved for EVO, and feel it'd be thematically appropriate, but I'm aware E3 makes more sense from a business perspective and, assuming Roy's the only fighter far enough along the pipeline at the moment, it'd be weird to leave everything on him. I just tried to describe an ideal reveal for me, honestly, hence the whole "Reggie himself as a hype man for Daigo" scenario.

As much as I respect Evo and other various developers seem too (including Nintendo) I think they'd show off Ryu and Roy at E3 if they were gonna reveal them. They want the mass market to see them and more eyes are on E3 than Evo.

zlatko

Banned
Too many pages to read, but I voted for Neku from The World Ends With You.

I mean... Sega, Konami, and Namco all got a character in the roster... why not Square too?

This was THE best use of DS hardware when it came out, and people still want a sequel on Wii U for it.

His play style could be interpreted in so many ways in Smash. Super stylish character as well.

I expect Lucas to be out by mid/end of June.

I'm still wondering about their plans for Smash in the future, the have the opportunity to go pretty damn far with DLC.

That's too perfect, that it'll never happen. Goddamn you, Zubz. It would honestly be one of the most exciting moments for me if that was to become a reality. I can only imagine the hype that would come from that. Also, as much as I would love that all... I couldn't possibly wait another month just to finally see Ryu in Smash. The wait is already unbearable!

I want to see my boy Roy as well. Shit! My mind is going to be all on this for a good while... I got myself excited.

NINTENDO VS CAPCOM ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ

edit - Wrong thread. My B..

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom