• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it bad that I think there's a better-than-negligible chance of this happening? Because I do, despite it encroaching on Smash's/Street Fighter V's turf.

Capcom can't even afford to fund Street Fighter V themselves. Do you really think Nintendo wants another crossover fighting game on their platform?

Is it bad that I think there's a better-than-negligible chance of this happening? Because I do, despite it encroaching on Smash's/Street Fighter V's turf.

After thinking so much on it, I can't help but think it'll happen some day. Ryu will be opening the doors!

I'd love to play as Dante and Morrigan with Smash controls/physics.

Eww. We need a traditional fighter. :p I want to play as Link, knowing he'll have so much to his moveset. *0*

A VS game would attract a different audience than the one Nintendo usually markets to.

^ Exactly.

But I could see it happening on whatever NX is.

Zubz

Banned
Capcom can't even afford to fund Street Fighter V themselves. Do you really think Nintendo wants another crossover fighting game on their platform?

I mean, no matter which Capcom Vs. game you look at, none play like Smash. Plus, other than SFxT, which bombed, none of the prior ones can currently be replicated, and Nintendo & Capcom are close.

As I said, it's only slightly more-than-negligible, but it's possible Capcom might crossover with Nintendo. I mean, Nintendo might be replacing Marvel at Universal... Why not replace them in MvC, too?

Admittedly, I'm biased because of the possibility of a Falcon/Gene Pummel Duel in the trailer.

Neoxon

I mean, no matter which Capcom Vs. game you look at, none play like Smash. Plus, other than SFxT, which bombed, none of the prior ones can currently be replicated, and Nintendo & Capcom are close.

As I said, it's only slightly more-than-negligible, but it's possible Capcom might crossover with Nintendo. I mean, Nintendo might be replacing Marvel at Universal... Why not replace them in MvC, too?

Admittedly, I'm biased because of the possibility of a Falcon/Gene Pummel Duel in the trailer.
Because the last time a Vs. game was exclusive to a Nintendo console (TvC), it died a slow painful death after one year at EVO (as awesome as the game itself was).

Cryxok

Because the last time a Vs. game was exclusive to a Nintendo console (TvC), it died a slow painful death after one year at EVO (as awesome as the game itself was).

I think that has to do with Tatsunoko not being well known outside of Japan (I think? at least I wasn't familiar with them). a Nintendo Vs. title would have Nintendo characters in the cover, enough to make it enjoy decent sales I'd guess (not saying it will happen tho)

Uh...yes?

Why wouldn't they if it's possible?

I don't think it's the smartest investment given the Wii U install base + potential genre overlap with Smash. Yeah, they appeal to different audiences, but I don't know if Nintendo wants two crossover fighting games in their portfolio.

A Wii U version of Pokkén Tournament is most likely in the works as well, and even though it's not a traditional fighter by any stretch of the imagination, I can't see Nintendo greenlighting a THIRD fighting game that features their characters. There's always next console.

Javier

Considering Nintendo has expressed they want to be more open with 3rd parties using their IPs for new takes on games (Hyrule Warriors) or crossover projects (SMT x FE), I don't know why Nintendo Vs. Capcom wouldn't be on the realm of possibility. Heck, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already, given how obvious of a crossover it feels.

I think it's also very likely that the Smash crowd will be all over Nintendo Vs. Capcom, since it has the same crossover/fanservice appeal that the Smash audience loves.

Dr. Buni

I would rather have a Capcom vs SEGA instead, honestly. But if a Nintendo vs Capcom becomes a thing, I hope they don't go overboard with Street Fighter characters and give attention to characters like Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, which are more Nintendo-ish.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would rather have a Capcom vs SEGA instead, honestly. But if a Nintendo vs Capcom becomes a thing, I hope they don't go overboard with Street Fighter characters and give attention to characters like Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, which are more Nintendo-ish.

You shouldn't worry about that. They have been better with the roster balance between franchises.

UMVC - only 4 out of 25 characters came from street fighter

TvC - 3 out of 13 characters.

Both of the games' rosters are way better than mvc2. 12 characters out of 28 characters are street fighter. Almost 50%!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You shouldn't worry about that. They have been better with the roster balance between franchises.

Both of the games' rosters are way better than mvc2. 12 characters out of 28 characters are street fighter. Almost 50%!

mvc2 is literally just copypaste anyway

Hey all, you only have about two days left to get your entries in for the SmashGAF Character Census! If you haven't done so yet, now's the time to do it!

All you need to do is fill out the form (link is here, quote the post to see it) or if you don't have/want a Google account, send me a PM listing your main, secondary, and tertiary character (in that order, three characters total).

We're up to around 310 entries now - much more than I expected! Whoohoo!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hey all, you only have about two days left to get your entries in for the SmashGAF Character Census! If you haven't done so yet, now's the time to do it!

All you need to do is fill out the form (link is here, quote the post to see it) or if you don't have/want a Google account, send me a PM listing your main, secondary, and tertiary character (in that order, three characters total).

We're up to around 310 entries now - much more than I expected! Whoohoo!

That's awesome! :D I can't wait for your results!

trutrutru

I don't think it's the smartest investment given the Wii U install base + potential genre overlap with Smash. Yeah, they appeal to different audiences, but I don't know if Nintendo wants two crossover fighting games in their portfolio.

A Wii U version of Pokkén Tournament is most likely in the works as well, and even though it's not a traditional fighter by any stretch of the imagination, I can't see Nintendo greenlighting a THIRD fighting game that features their characters. There's always next console.

The only thing that makes this for the wiiu maybe not the best option is the potential to release it on the NX for launch. Although i get the feeling the nx will have quite a few remasters. This could just be one of them

As far as install base. Not an issue. Nintendo needs to earn a lot of good will with wiiu owners. A title like this would help with that, and they could always re-release on nx. Capcom is no stranger to updating fighters.

Genre overlap wouldnt be an issue. I feel like the fighting game audience can sustain multiple games at once more easily than audiences of some other genres out there. Also, despite it being a fighting game, it would offer a completely different experience than smash or pokken. I see no reason why they cant all co-exist. Just nintendo's name and characters attached to the title ensure it will have no problem at retail, and if it follows the VS formula, it will get easy acceptance by the fighting community. Its really only a matter of when something like this should be release.

So looking at cut music, I kind of having a good feeling about Fountain of Dreams as DLC.

FoDs itself was cut, along with Checker Knights.

CKs obviously works amazingly well on FoDs and there really wasn't a reason to cut it... FoDs remains one of the most requested DLC stages and was immensely popular in Melee.

And it's not like there's a lack of games to rip music from for FoDs, 2 of which could just be the music used for the 3DS DLC of Dreamland 64

Fountain of Dreams
Checker Knights
Dream Land 64
Forest Area (Air Ride)
Dedede's Theme (Kirby the Fighters)
Pop Star (Kirby 64)
Green Greens (Rainbow Curse)
Ridley's Theme (Epic Yarn) #kappa
Rest Area (Melee) Because why not? It's a Kirby Song anyway.

Would be a decent selection of music to turn off because there's no reason to never have the original FoDs on all the time :p

I know Sakurai said DLC was produced after the game was done and nothing was cut for DLC. But I just have a hard time believing that with Orbital being set up for Wolf and FoDs music (and another appropriate song for the stage) being cut. FoDs is the crown jewel of the Melee soundtrack, and the Smash soundtrack in general. It's not a song you'd ever expect cut. I believe the DLC was actually made after the game, but I think some stuff was clearly planned as DLC early on.

How is Orbital Gate set up for Wolf? Star Wolf doesn't appear there at all. Unless that's the point you're getting at, but Krystal isn't there either.

Azure J

@Heath: That was never in question honestly and I say this as someone who plays it fairly often.

Hmm, let's assume a 25/25 split of 50 characters total with characters that have made appearances on Nintendo consoles taking priority:

Capcom

Ryu (SF)
Chun (SF)
Guile (SF)
Bison (SF)
Haggar (Final Fight)
Maki (Final Fight)
Megaman X
Zero (MMZ)
Roll (Classic)
Bass.EXE (MMBN)
Tron (MML)
Nina (BoF2)
Leon (RE4)
Rathalthos/Something MonHun (if Capcom gets the MonHun team to relent on their cross over stances)
Dante (DMC popularity, but trojan horse'd in due to Project x Zone)
Vergil (see above)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Q-Bee (Darkstalkers)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Viewtiful Joe
Arthur (Ghosts n Ghouls)
Firebrand (Gargoyle's Crest)
Strider Hiryu
Phoenix Wright
Nathan "Rad" Spencer (Bionic Commando)

Nintendo

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Rosalina
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
K. Rool
Samus
Ridley
(I think Capcom would actually play up the "too big" thing)
Fox
Falco
Kirby
Metaknight
Dedede
Pit
*Palutena (probably swappable with Ness)
Marth
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Blastoise
Charizard
Venusaur

Assumptions:

- Mega Man fanbase is far larger on the Nintendo side of things than anywhere else
- Most of the Capcom selections have iconic moments with Nintendo. Others get in on technicality or just for being immensely popular Capcom characters themselves.
- Nintendo side is basically going to be the S+ through A- faces of Smash. No oddballs or really cool one-offs, at least not in the first revision without DLC or without a joint "SAKURAI/ONO!"
- Nintendo side is also going to be immediately full of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. Kirby will be the next biggest thing guaranteed.
- I feel like Ness would be in over Palutena, but also feel like KI is experiencing enough of a second childhood so to speak that it might warrant getting someone else in. As this is all conjecture and the depths of my boredom giving birth to something horrible, don't take any suggestion here as gospel. :lol
- I honest to God don't have good ideas for who the last two Capcom characters should be. I have favorites and I have the ability to look up stuff Capcom's done with Nintendo, but I am drawing a terrible blank for folks that would both work well and could possibly have strong ties to Nintendo in the past.
- Edit: Fixed some Final Fight, Bionic Commando and Phoenix Wright stuff into the mix. Also, I totally forgot the new marketing muscle behind Rosalina and added her there. She replaces Palu if anyone.

Azure J

I imagine Ridley and Rathalos/Rathian would play like Gold Lightan and the other giant robot in Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Also I would keep Pokemon out of the game in order to not steal any thunder from Pokkeb.

It was actually the existence of the giants (and to a lesser extent things like Sentinel and Nemesis in Marvel) that makes me think a Capcom fighter would probably have them anyway while taking into consideration "too big". :lol

Pokemon are too big not to be in (at least imo), but I see your point.

- I honest to God don't have good ideas for who the last two Capcom characters should be. I have favorites and I have the ability to look up stuff Capcom's done with Nintendo, but I am drawing a terrible blank for folks that would both work well and could possibly have strong ties to Nintendo in the past.

i consider ace attorney, final fight, and bionic commando to also be franchises with pretty decent ties to nintendo. and then if you want some deeper cuts, there's stuff like ghost trick and zack & wiki

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It was actually the existence of the giants (and to a lesser extent things like Sentinel and Nemesis in Marvel) that makes me think a Capcom fighter would probably have them anyway while taking into consideration "too big". :lol

Pokemon are too big not to be in (at least imo), but I see your point.
I wonder what's TPC's opinion of crossovers. Smash they seem fine, but there was nothing Pokemon in Nintendoland.

Edit: also yeah the list needs more Phoenix Wright

Azure J

i consider ace attorney, final fight, and bionic commando to also be franchises with pretty decent ties to nintendo. and then if you want some deeper cuts, there's stuff like ghost trick and zack & wiki

Shieeeet, I knew I was overlooking something. That I'd remember the chick from PN03 before Phoenix shows that I have some fucked priorities. :lol

Funny thing is, before I actually posted that, I had Poison/Maki and Guy in the list right under the SF four, but thought in a post SF4 world, people would associate them more with SF than Final Fight. Might go back and fix this now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Shieeeet, I knew I was overlooking something. That I'd remember the chick from PN03 before Phoenix shows that I have some fucked priorities. :lol

Funny thing is, before I actually posted that, I had Poison/Maki and Guy in the list right under the SF four, but thought in a post SF4 world, people would associate them more with SF than Final Fight. Might go back and fix this now.
I don't think Nintendo would be Okay with Poison tbh. :p

honestly maki is probably a lot better anyways, because not only did she debut in the snes-exclusive final fight 2, but CvS2 is one of the few capcom fighting games to appear on a nintendo home console post-snes era, and her first appearance in the street fighter series was in the GBA port of alpha 3.

i also think that maaaybe resident evil is being a bit undervalued? maybe it's because you're targeting a more smash bros like audience, but resident evil has had a pretty huge presence on nintendo platforms. leon would be my top pick too, because RE4 was a really big deal (and there was RE2 N64 too) and his vs series debut is long overdue, but i think that adding chris or jill might not hurt either, due to REmake and revelations (or maybe even rebecca for 0?)

sorry for going a bit OT, hoping that perhaps NvC may be real someday so we can continue to speculate on it, lol

Azure J

honestly maki is probably a lot better anyways, because not only did she debut in the snes-exclusive final fight 2, but CvS2 is one of the few capcom fighting games to appear on a nintendo home console post-snes era, and her first appearance in the street fighter series was in the GBA port of alpha 3.

i also think that maaaybe resident evil is being a bit undervalued? maybe it's because you're targeting a more smash bros like audience, but resident evil has had a pretty huge presence on nintendo platforms. leon would be my top pick too, because RE4 was a really big deal (and there was RE2 N64 too) and his vs series debut is long overdue, but i think that adding chris or jill might not hurt either, due to REmake and revelations (or maybe even rebecca for 0?)

sorry for going a bit OT, hoping that perhaps NvC may be real someday so we can continue to speculate on it, lol

I'm really not well versed enough on RE to comment on things, but Chris, Jill and Leon as a trio makes sense to me too.

Also yeah, sorry for getting things off track. So, anyone else started voting up the Inklings fervently after the test fire?

Ryce

Ryota Niitsuma said that Resident Evil characters were intentionally excluded from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom because they didn’t fit the game thematically. Capcom wanted their characters to fit in with the exaggerated, over-the-top Tatsunoko heroes, and Resident Evil was considered too dark and realistic. I suspect the same would hold true in the unlikely event that Nintendo vs. Capcom is ever made. 75% of Chris Redfield’s MvC3 moveset involves the use of a knife, pistol, revolver, rifle, and shotgun, and that’s not going to fly with Nintendo.

Like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, the Capcom half of a Nintendo vs. Capcom roster would probably include a few Street Fighter characters, a few Mega Man characters, and assorted characters from Capcom’s more colorful, Nintendo-friendly series.

If Nintendo vs Capcom becomes a real thing and we dont get a Breath of Fire rep (Breath of Fire 2 Nina to be exact)...I might just cry.

Ryce

Dream Land 64 is practically confirmed, and I doubt there's going to be a second downloadable Kirby stage. I also don't think we're ever going to get a Melee stage that didn't appear in Brawl.

Yes, that's what I mean. It's set up so they can drop in Wolf and it wouldn't be weird
I don't really understand how that means it was designed around Wolf being DLC though. You could just as easily say that Star Wolf was left out so as to not draw attention to Wolf being gone. Or to simplify the already fairly intense graphics of the stage. I think you're looking for a conspiracy that isn't necessarily there.

Dream Land 64 is practically confirmed, and I doubt there's going to be a second downloadable Kirby stage. I also don't think we're ever going to get a Melee stage that didn't appear in Brawl.
DreamLand 64 is only known to be coming to the 3DS version, we don't know how they're going to be handling Stage DLC for both versions.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I don't know about that yet since we got Kongo Jungle 64 for Smash Bros. for Wii U. There is a chance that we could get more returning stages that haven't appeared on Brawl.

FoD for the Wii U, Dreamland 64 for the Wii U, would be the guess.

For the latter point, we already did with Kongo 64.

SaikyoBro

Ryota Niitsuma said that Resident Evil characters were intentionally excluded from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom because they didn’t fit the game thematically. Capcom wanted their characters to fit in with the exaggerated, over-the-top Tatsunoko heroes, and Resident Evil was considered too dark and realistic. I suspect the same would hold true in the unlikely event that Nintendo vs. Capcom is ever made. 75% of Chris Redfield’s MvC3 moveset involves the use of a knife, pistol, revolver, rifle, and shotgun, and that’s not going to fly with Nintendo.

Like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, the Capcom half of a Nintendo vs. Capcom roster would probably include a few Street Fighter characters, a few Mega Man characters, and assorted characters from Capcom’s more colorful, Nintendo-friendly series.

Ehhhh, I think in the context of a traditional fighting game Nintendo's policies would be a little different (depending on who was in charge I guess). Excluding any characters from dark/realistic series wouldn't just mean no Resident Evil characters, but other huge fan-favorites like Dante, Frank West, or possibly even the Darkstalkers cast wouldn't be allowed either. I think restricting a Nintendo vs. Capcom game to strictly kid-friendly series would almost be kind of counter-intuitive since a lot of Capcom's biggest series would have to sit out.

L Thammy

Is it weird that I want Tatsunoko Vs Capcom 2 more than Nintendo Vs Capcom? I don't even know any other Tatsunoko characters.

Either way, I'd like Niitsuma to add giants back in and improve on the concept. I like how one of the character considerations he listed was the Zero Akuma from Cyberbots. Having that and Rathalos would be the best. Certainly makes having a second shoto more appealing when the second one is Giant Robo.

What Nintendo giants can you have? Stuff from Chosujo Mecha MG, maybe Saki's monster form from Sin and Punishment, the Falcon or Garam from Battle Clash...

Ryce

Ehhhh, I think in the context of a traditional fighting game Nintendo's policies would be a little different (depending on who was in charge I guess). Excluding any characters from dark/realistic series wouldn't just mean no Resident Evil characters, but other huge fan-favorites like Dante, Frank West, or possibly even the Darkstalkers cast wouldn't be allowed either. I think restricting a Nintendo vs. Capcom game to strictly kid-friendly series would almost be kind of counter-intuitive since a lot of Capcom's biggest series would have to sit out.
It's happened before with TvC. The featured series don't necessarily have to be "kid-friendly," just compatible with Nintendo's characters. Really, only Resident Evil and Devil May Cry would have to sit out. They rely too heavily on realistic firearms. Frank West and the Darkstalkers cast are fantastical enough to be included; they were in TvC without issue.

SaikyoBro

It's happened before with TvC. The featured series don't necessarily have to be "kid-friendly," just compatible with Nintendo's characters. Really, only Resident Evil and Devil May Cry would have to sit out. They rely too heavily on realistic firearms. Frank West and the Darkstalkers cast are fantastical enough to be included; they were in TvC without issue.

I guess I can imagine Resident Evil not being included (as much as I would love to see Wesker and Mewtwo team up) but I have trouble picturing Dante being left out, he's been pushed really heavily in just about every crossover they've done the last few years. Seeing him cross swords with Link and Marth is such a cool concept, I'd hate for his pistols to disqualify him from such a big game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom