• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Going to link some TvC articles about scrapped / considered characters just because.
http://kotaku.com/5454192/the-lost-characters-of-tatsunoko-vs-capcom
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/20/capcom-tried-to-get-samurai-pizza-cats-for-tatsunoko-vs-capcom/
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wolfoxokamichan/media/wwwdotuporg601657.jpg.html

Of the list, Date Masamune seems like another character that could be a good fit in a Nintendo Vs Capcom. Bright colours, kind of like Dante in personality and style, no realistic guns. Plus all of the Sengoku Basara 2 and 3 games are available on the Wii (although mostly Japan exclusive and they sell better on PlayStation).

Azure J

It's happened before with TvC. The featured series don't necessarily have to be "kid-friendly," just compatible with Nintendo's characters. Really, only Resident Evil and Devil May Cry would have to sit out. They rely too heavily on realistic firearms. Frank West and the Darkstalkers cast are fantastical enough to be included; they were in TvC without issue.

Simplest solution ever, they shoot cartoony smoke blasts/"lasers" or are de-emphasized for his crazier devil arms like Artemis, Pandora and the like.

I was doing a stage DLC wishlist on my blog the other day and I think I gave Fountain of Dreams a little too much love with music suggestions. I figured that if Port Town Aero Dive could have 16 tracks...

Rainbow Resort (Kirby Air Ride, but either NES/GBA could work)
Vs. Nightmare (NES/GBA)
Cloudy Park (Kirby's Dream Land 2)
Vs. Marx (Original Kirby Super Star Rip)
World Map (Kirby 64)
Nebula Belt (Kirby Air Ride)
The Beginner's Room (Kirby Air Ride)
Candy Constellation (Kirby and the Rainbow Curse)
Masked Dedede (Kirby Super Star Ultra)
Vs. Yin-Yarn (Kirby's Epic Yarn)
Aurora Area (Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
C-R-O-W-N-E-D (Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
Kirby's History (Kirby Dream Collection/Kirby Triple Deluxe)
Moonstruck Blossom (Kirby Triple Deluxe)
Revenge of the Enemy (Kirby Triple Deluxe)

Man, I can't believe I didn't consider All-Star Rest Area...good call, balladofwindfishes

TDLink

Is it weird that I want Tatsunoko Vs Capcom 2 more than Nintendo Vs Capcom? I don't even know any other Tatsunoko characters.

Either way, I'd like Niitsuma to add giants back in and improve on the concept. I like how one of the character considerations he listed was the Zero Akuma from Cyberbots. Having that and Rathalos would be the best. Certainly makes having a second shoto more appealing when the second one is Giant Robo.

What Nintendo giants can you have? Stuff from Chosujo Mecha MG, maybe Saki's monster form from Sin and Punishment, the Falcon or Garam from Battle Clash...

I want TvC 2 more also. Just because I really do love Tatsunoko. I'd still be happy with a Nintendo vs Capcom though.

Zubz

Banned
Man, all of these Fountain of Dreams songs are fantastic! Assuming that it's on the 3DS version, the second song has to be
Moonlit Blossom/F-L-O-W-E-R
from Triple Deluxe, but honestly, each of these songs fits it in some way.But I have a feeling that, if Dream Land 64 isn't there to be the 3DS equivalent of Miiverse, it'll be the 3DS version of FoD.

And oh man... My Nintendo Vs. Capcom dream roster would eat up this entire page, so I won't post it. Just know that it makes MvC2 look underwhelming in comparison. ...And breaks some of the aforementioned "rules," like having Resident Evil characters/Morrigan as a Darkstalkers rep, as well as the "No Monster Hunter" rule apparently given during MvC3's production.

MrBadger

I was doing a stage DLC wishlist on my blog the other day and I think I gave Fountain of Dreams a little too much love with music suggestions. I figured that if Port Town Aero Dive could have 16 tracks...

Man, I can't believe I didn't consider All-Star Rest Area...good call, balladofwindfishes

It could be a good place to use all the Rainbow Curse remixes that are currently doing nothing except sitting in the game's sound test. Two examples from your list- Revenge of the Enemy and C-R-O-W-N-E-D

Really, only Resident Evil and Devil May Cry would have to sit out. They rely too heavily on realistic firearms.

I think they could fit someone like MvC2 Jill in, she only had a single move that used a gun. Everything else was an explosive, zombie summoning, or physical attacks. Plus, recent RE games have a much larger focus on close combat, so there's a bunch of moves they could draw from there. I think it could work!

But I mean, in the end, it's all speculation about a game that probably doesn't exist, lol.

Call me crazy but....I get the strong feeling stages are going to be free DLC.

Well, there's a reserved spot for DLC Stages on the DLC Page of the official site. Free stage DLC gets rid of the awkwardness of using them online, especially since they can't be segregated into packs for matchmaking like Mario Kart. Piecemeal DLC would be hard to really work right in Matchmaking imo.

On that note, I wonder if Miiverse is going to be considered as a free DLC stage or added to the vanilla stage roster. There's a spot for it on the Stage Screen, but I could see them adding it to the DLC menu as well, even though it's free.

Crocodile

The Mii-verse stage will probably be free (they advertized it so long ago and with features we know are going to be free like Tournament Mode). Why would any additional stages be free though? Why turn down an opportunity to make good money?

Azure J

Holy shit Kirby's History is SO good. I definitely missed out not getting that collection. :(

I want a new Donkey Kong stage as DLC just so we can get some actual songs that aren't just remixes of DK Island Swing.

Give me a Gangplank Galleon stage with:

Gang-Plank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country)
K. Rool's Acid Punk (Donkey Kong Land)
Lockjaw's Saga (Donkey Kong Country 2)
Crocodile Cacophony (Donkey Kong Country 2)
Big Boss Blues (Donkey Kong Country 3)
Hideout Helm (Donkey Kong 64)
Salty Sea (Donkey Kong Barrel Blast)
Mast Blast (Donkey Kong Country Returns)
Fear Factory Returns (Donkey Kong Country Returns)
Seashore War (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)

Holy shit Kirby's History is SO good. I definitely missed out not getting that collection. :(

Don't worry, you can still hear it in Triple Deluxe's Continue theme! I guess they knew it and the Bubbly Clouds menu theme were too good to fall into obscurity, so they had to include them into Triple Deluxe.

It actually has a shorter loop for the Castle Lololo poriton, so if my unlikely request ever gets fulfilled, they'll probably use that version since Smash 4 is all about abridging ported tracks lol.

the way it transitions into Cloudy Park is just hhnnNNGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Although Nebula Belt already has Smash 4's theme in it...

wait

really

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The Mii-verse stage will probably be free (they advertized it so long ago and with features we know are going to be free like Tournament Mode). Why would any additional stages be free though? Why turn down an opportunity to make good money?

Is it possible that we wouldnt able to get Miiverse stage until we get all dlc characters announced or being available?

tim1138

I remember seeing a few weeks ago that some dude said he data mined the 3DS update and found stuff for Ryu from Street Fighter and random blue haired Fire Emblem sword guy #4. Was that ever confirmed as true or was it just some dude BSing like the Rayman thing?

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
I remember seeing a few weeks ago that some dude said he data mined the 3DS update and found stuff for Ryu from Street Fighter and random blue haired Fire Emblem sword guy #4. Was that ever confirmed as true or was it just some dude BSing like the Rayman thing?

Ryu and Roy, actually. Supposed sound files for a Ryu stage and victory theme, plus indications of a return for the red-haired swordsman. People got really divided on seeing Roy again, and then the whole thing just sort of fizzled away into the ether.

Sakurai,

Special Smash needs a makeover.

-Stamina should be its own game mode, with Time, Stock, and Coin. Stocks can be toggled, and the handicap setting adjusts how much HP characters start with (the default is 150).

-As for the actual Special Smash, the effects should be selected individually for each character on the character select screen, instead of applying them to each character like it does now. That way, you can have matches like giant Wii Fit Trainer vs. tiny Mario (the size levels go: Tiny, Small, Normal, Big, Giant), or three light characters vs. a heavy permanently metal character. It'd possibly make for some completely unfair fights (especially the tiny Mario vs. the giant WFT; she'd literally stomp him into the ground), but they'd all be pretty fun as well.

Azure J

I want a new Donkey Kong stage as DLC just so we can get some actual songs that aren't just remixes of DK Island Swing.

I'd actually say that Lockjaw's Saga is greatly succeeded by Irate Eight (Tension) from Tropical Freeze. If we're going to stick purely ominous music on the stage, I also feel like Treetop Tumble has to be there somehow. Also that stage absolutely has to have Aqueduct Assault.

Crayolan

I'd like stages for the characters that were screwed over stage-wise first. The Wii U still needs a new Mother and F-Zero stage, as well as a ROB stage. I'd be happy with them porting Mute City and Magicant from the 3DS though.

I'd throw in Big Top Bop and Punch Bowl from Tropical Freeze. Not ominous, but I can't imagine a better setting for those two tracks than the final boss arena of DKC1.

I'd like stages for the characters that were screwed over stage-wise first. The Wii U still needs a new Mother and F-Zero stage, as well as a ROB stage. I'd be happy with them porting Mute City and Magicant from the 3DS though.

But DK was screwed over stage-wise... in the 3DS version. Couldn't they have at least made a Tropical Freeze stage? "Too new" is a poor excuse when Woolly World exists.

Gloomy Galleon rom DK64 would also make a fine choice. It was fun in that game, and I get the feeling that we're going to go back to it someday.

Good suggestion. I'm not sure why I overlooked it, considering that Gloomy Galleon is supposed to be a sunken version of K. Rool's vessel from DKC and DKC2. Maybe because it's a bit too gloomy for a fighting game.

I'd throw in Big Top Bop and Punch Bowl from Tropical Freeze. Not ominous, but I can't imagine a better setting for those two tracks than the final boss arena of DKC1.

Tropical Freeze has so many good songs that it's impossible to choose. Just port the entire soundtrack over, Sakurai.

The 3DS version should at the very least have a DKCR stage. But stage representation is all sorts of fucked in SSB4 in both versions. Easily my most disappointing aspect of it.

The 3DS version should at the very least have a DKCR stage. But stage representation is all sorts of fucked in SSB4 in both versions. Easily my most disappointing aspect of it.

I remember when they announced that stages in the 3DS version would be derived primarily from handheld games. I immediately assumed that we would be getting stages based on Donkey Kong Land, Metroid Fusion, and Star Fox Command. Yikes.

I remember when they announced that stages in the 3DS version would be derived primarily from handheld games. I immediately assumed that we would be getting stages based on Donkey Kong Land, Metroid Fusion, and Star Fox Command. Yikes.
The more precise announcement would have been "3DS stages are mostly based on DS and 3DS games that we could pull assets from the easiest." So there are a million Mario stages, one for seemingly every Mario game released on the 3DS. But Star Fox 64 3D, the only major release in the franchise since Brawl, is completely skipped over? Kirby gets the luck of the draw, with a stage that's actually based on a legacy handheld game, surprise surprise.

And then the console based Mother and F-Zero stages are 3DS exclusive for seemingly no reason other than to make sure neither version has a full set of new stages for established franchises.

And I still can't get over the fact that Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem get a new stage in both versions but Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox don't. At the very least the 3DS version could have gotten stripped down versions of Jungle Hijinxs and Pyrosphere.

javadoze

Some stage DLC ideas

-Gameboy(Gameboy): No, seriously, just use the same basic layout as the Kirby's Dreamland(3DS) stage and substitute it with different Gameboy games.

-Forsaken Fortress(Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker): Maybe have it take place on Tetra's ship and then feature searchlights and the Helmaroc King as hazards.

-Push/Crash/Stretchmo: Start the stage on a barren field, but then have various pushmo be brought in that are then manipulated by Mallo and friends (creating and destroying platforms in the process).

-NintendoLand: Practically a no-brainer. The fighters just board the train and visit the various attractions.

-Remix stage(Rhythm Heaven): another no-brainer. Something similar to the Warioware stage could work.

Hatchtag

Banned

To be fair, I'd rather get one of the top 5 stages in the entire Smash Bros series (Corneria) than a new Star Fox stage.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
>People listing DLC stages
>Shitloads of hazards.

Please. Please. For the love of God no more hazards unless there's a toggle included.

God I hope there's a Nintendo Land stage. That game is gorgeous and amazing and needs stuff in Smash. The music especially. Also a Monita AT. And trophies.

I really like Nintendo Land.

NeonZ

I don't know if I'd consider Kirby "lucky". Yes, he got a retro stage, but that's Kirby's only stage representation in Smash 3ds, which feels lacking considering how it isn't a dead retro franchise. Even just slapping Dreamland 64 there would have been enough...

And then the console based Mother and F-Zero stages are 3DS exclusive for seemingly no reason other than to make sure neither version has a full set of new stages for established franchises.

Mother 1 + 2 was a handheld game, so it's similar to the OoT situation, for example. I don't know if there's any excuse for F-Zero though.

Something we had discussed awhile ago is if Miiverse was going to dynamically pull in content or if they're going to ship it with pre-curated posts.

I noticed with Splatoon it was the latter. The billboards in the game take posts from Miiverse, but they're pre-selected and repeat every so often.

God I hope there's a Nintendo Land stage. That game is gorgeous and amazing and needs stuff in Smash. The music especially. Also a Monita AT. And trophies.

I really like Nintendo Land.

Miiverse has a rip from Nintendo Land and a remix.

Mother 1 + 2 was a handheld game, so it's similar to the OoT situation, for example. I don't know if there's any excuse for F-Zero though.

SNES Mute City 1 (which the stage is based on) was unlockable in GBA GP Legend.

I'm still puzzled that that Pilotwings is Wii U exclusive in spite of being half-based on a 3DS game.

Hey all!

Since I got really busy last night and wasn't able to post a proper warning of the census closing in all relevant threads, I'm extending the participation period to tonight at 11:59pm. So if you haven't participated in the SmashGAF Character Census yet, you have less than a day to do so!

Click here for the link (quote the post to see it), or send me a PM listing your main, secondary, and tertiary character (three in total).

We're up to about 330 responses now, which will make for some very comprehensive results! It's almost time to start organizing all the data and revealing the top characters! I'm still trying to decide how many characters I should count down from...

Probably nothing but worth posting considering E3 hype

490.jpg

Is it weird that I want Tatsunoko Vs Capcom 2 more than Nintendo Vs Capcom? I don't even know any other Tatsunoko characters.

Either way, I'd like Niitsuma to add giants back in and improve on the concept. I like how one of the character considerations he listed was the Zero Akuma from Cyberbots. Having that and Rathalos would be the best. Certainly makes having a second shoto more appealing when the second one is Giant Robo.

What Nintendo giants can you have? Stuff from Chosujo Mecha MG, maybe Saki's monster form from Sin and Punishment, the Falcon or Garam from Battle Clash...

Same. I want that really bad.. Or an HD version of T vs C.

Who here thinks we could be getting Sector Z as a DLC stage? Would make an awesome 8 player map to boot:

Sector_z.JPG

One of my most wanted stages.

Not having a Great Fox stage on the Wii U is a sin against Smash Bros. It's a series staple.

This stage is massive, iconic and would make sure there weren't any duplicate retro stages between the two versions, while still giving us a Great Fox level.

We also don't have any stages repping the N64 at all on the Wii U. Kongo Jungle is a literal stage from the N64, but reps a SNES game. All of Melee's 64 rep stages were cut for Smash 4 or are on the 3DS! Without Big Blue or Rainbow Cruise, the N64 has nothing! And no, Pokemon Stadium 2 doesn't count as an N64 stage.

NeonZ

We also don't have any stages repping the N64 at all on the Wii U. Kongo Jungle is a literal stage from the N64, but reps a SNES game. All of Melee's 64 rep stages were cut for Smash 4 or are on the 3DS! Without Big Blue or Rainbow Cruise, the N64 has nothing!

Pokemon Stadium 2? I mean, Pokemon Stadium is a reference to the Stadium games, right? There are no battle stadiums in the mainline games, only in the Stadium games and its successors, alongside the anime.

Pokemon Stadium 2? I mean, Pokemon Stadium is a reference to the Stadium games, right? There are no battle stadiums in the mainline games, only in the Stadium games and its successors, alongside the anime.

Pokemon Stadium 2 is Stadium 2 in name only. If it had Johto Pokemon in the background and took place on an actual stadium that actually appeared in the game, then it would work.

As it stands it has fourth gen Pokemon in the background and is just a generic stadium. Its name is meaningless, they could have called it whatever they wanted. It has exactly one song from Johto on it, a medley not even labeled as being from Gold and Silver and that used to be on Pokemon Stadium 1.

Hey guys! After going through and double-checking all of the results, I've determined that the following NeoGAF users do not exist, and therefore their census entries will be invalidated. If I've made a mistake with any of the following and anyone here knows of these users (or you're one of them), please let me know so their/your entries don't get falsely invalidated:

- timrtabor123
- DJKirsch
- Valahart
- IamthebigG
- DerpyBeetle
- forta
- Mazzoman
- yomama69dw/me (obvious, but hey)
- Big_Noze

Special thanks to those few lurkers/non-account holders who actually identified themselves as such, making it very easy for me to weed you out! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom