• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
The basic problem is that Inklings would presumably work fairly better when not bound to existing engine possibilities, that is WITH PAINT. (The Mario matchup, oh the Mario matchup...) Adding that to a currently released game sounds problematic. Adding that to a sequel sounds less so.

Ryce

Sakurai's not going to intentionally withhold Inkling just so he has someone to include in Smash 5. He doesn't even think about Smash Bros. characters unless he has to.
Nintendo Dream: When not you are not developing and there is a new title or character released, you are not thinking about "How about that one in the next Smash Bros?", right?

Masahiro Sakurai: Absolutely not! I'm always thinking that doing Smash Bros. again will be impossible. Impossible, impossible...is what I always think, but I ended up making it again (laughs). But once I decide to do it, I'm very fast about creating moves and such.

Zubz

Banned
The demo build from E3 2014 was a few months old at the time. Considering Dark Pit's segment in Palutena's trailer, I think this time last year is right around when the major late roster changes happened, since they didn't seem to have time to edit the trailer to show Dark Pit as a full character like they did for Lucina.

If the build was from March or April, that's 5-6 months of solid QA until release.

I'm with you on all of this; thanks to that mysterious Polar Bear PotD that got removed early last summer, I think they were cut in early 2014. I mean, it shouldn't've taken too long to make the clones, and didn't Sakurai state that they were originally just alts, anyway? Maybe Dark Pit's brief appearance in Palutena's trailer was because they weren't 100% certain if he'd become a character or remain a costume. I mean, Palutena/Dark Pit's trailer came out 15 months prior to launch, whereas Lucina/Robin's was only 2 months away; that's enough time to cut out the Ice Climbers and differentiate the clones enough to become their own characters.

Wasn't that demo the first time we had a sign of Rhythm Heaven representation, too? Maybe there'll be traces of the Chorus Kids in there, too. I'm seriously hoping it leaks somewhere.

Ice Climbers were fully functional on the Wii U. I feel like Sakurai left them untouched on the Wii U once they were done there and tried getting them on the 3DS until he realized it was futile.

I'm with you, but I hope they don't consider it futile. Maybe they can make Nana run at 30 FPS/make them both literal sprites on the 3DS/8-Player Mode (Didn't they say 8-Player Smash was a very late addition? They may not have tested the Ice Climbers with it.) but I'm hoping they can make it back into the roster coming.

Yeah, I subscribe to that theory. Lucina, Doc and Dark Pit thrown into the roster together, Dark Pit only teased to avoid an instant Evil Cole publicity.

I feel so bad for SuperBot about Evil Cole; Sucker Punch lived up to their name, giving a "2 Coles or no Coles/Sly Cooper" proposition to SBE, from what I've heard.

Not the pre-chosen newcomers, but the ballot characters likely have different criteria to complete.
No, I think they're going to be selected somewhat similarly, just with this current ballot used as a suggestion box. I don't see it magically giving characters that wouldn't have had a shot otherwise a chance, not unless there is a far and away favorite on the level of like Sonic in Brawl.

Tyeforce

In all seriousness metroid needs another rep that's not samus or ridley.
I honestly don't think Metroid needs any more representation. Ridley would have been nice if only because he's one of the few prominent, long-standing Nintendo villains that isn't already in Smash Bros. that could actually possibly work as a playable character (with King K. Rool being pretty much the only other, really), though I realize that he's really pushing the boundary between what could work (like King K. Rool) and what couldn't (like, say, Andross or Mother Brain), and I totally understand and respect Sakurai's decision of keeping Ridley's role in Smash Bros. to that of a boss character where he doesn't have to be scaled down.

Anyway, Metroid isn't really the most character driven franchise. It's about Samus and her isolation, primarily. I think Smash Bros. is just fine with only Samus (twice, even) as Metroid representation when it comes to playable characters. It seems like the main reason why most people want more Metroid characters is because they're comparing it to other franchises. "This franchise gets more characters, so Metroid should, too!" But it doesn't really work like that... Some franchises are just better suited to having more characters than others.

I honestly don't think Metroid needs any more representation. Ridley would have been nice if only because he's one of the few prominent, long-standing Nintendo villains that isn't already in Smash Bros. that could actually possibly work as a playable character (with King K. Rool being pretty much the only other, really), though I realize that he's really pushing the boundary between what could work (like King K. Rool) and what couldn't (like, say, Andross or Mother Brain), and I totally understand and respect Sakurai's decision of keeping Ridley's role in Smash Bros. to that of a boss character where he doesn't have to be scaled down.

Anyway, Metroid isn't really the most character driven franchise. It's about Samus and her isolation, primarily. I think Smash Bros. is just fine with only Samus (twice, even) as Metroid representation when it comes to playable characters. It seems like the main reason why most people want more Metroid characters is because they're comparing it to other franchises. "This franchise gets more characters, so Metroid should, too!" But it doesn't really work like that... Some franchises are just better suited to having more characters than others.

Dark samus is the only bet. But that would be in smash 5 since she's a trophy in 4. And nobody knows about the hunters from MP hunters enough.

Ryce

It seems like the main reason why most people want more Metroid characters is because they're comparing it to other franchises. "This franchise gets more characters, so Metroid should, too!" But it doesn't really work like that... Some franchises are just better suited to having more characters than others.
Yeah, it's a strange phenomenon. Animal Crossing is a much bigger franchise than Metroid, for example, but people generally seem to be okay with it having just one playable character. Animal Crossing is all about the main character interacting with his or her environment, and the most prominent elements of the series are condensed into Villager's moveset. Getting to play as Isabelle or K.K. Slider might be interesting, but they really aren't needed. They're just auxiliary NPCs in the source material. I feel the same way about Metroid; Samus is the only character that really feels necessary.

Tyeforce

Dark samus is the only bet. But that would be in smash 5 since she's a trophy in 4. And nobody knows about the hunters from MP hunters enough.
I don't even think Dark Samus is important enough to the Metroid series as a whole to get into Smash Bros. as a playable character, having only been in two games (well, technically three, kinda, but still), and not even main series games at that. It's Ridley or nothing, I think, and Ridley's out. But that's okay.

Tyeforce

Yeah, it's a strange phenomenon. Animal Crossing is a much bigger franchise than Metroid, for example, but people generally seem to be okay with it having just one playable character. Animal Crossing is all about the main character interacting with his or her environment, and the most prominent elements of the series are condensed into Villager's moveset. Getting to play as Isabelle or K.K. Slider might be interesting, but they really aren't needed. They're just auxiliary NPCs in the source material. I feel the same way about Metroid; Samus is the only character that really feels necessary.
Exactly. Not even some character-heavy franchises like Animal Crossing need more than one character in Smash Bros., so Metroid's just fine as it is. The smaller franchises that have more characters than it would seem they may deserve like Star Fox, EarthBound, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus have good reasons for their characters. In Star Fox and Kid Icarus's case, these franchises are full of important characters with fighting potential, and the interaction between these characters is an important part of their games, so having multiple characters in Smash Bros. is fitting. And in Fire Emblem and EarthBound's case, these franchises are also very character-heavy, and they switch main characters with each new game. Having multiple characters is necessary for proper representation of the whole series. Unlike those franchises, Metroid doesn't really need more characters for proper series representation since Samus is the constant (and only, you could say, not counting bosses) main character, and neither does Animal Crossing since Villager already contains pretty much everything necessary to represent the franchise (including other characters like Tom Nook within his own move set).

I dunno, when secondary Kid Icarus characters are the level that Smash Bros. is down to (I'm talking about Palutena here, not Dark Pit) I think Metroid fans have reason to want, especially when it's been a common request since Melee.

But nobody has it worse than Donkey Kong.

Crayolan

I don't think potential newcomers for DLC will have any different screening procedure than a normal newcomer.

Characters that may seem to "have a future" now may not 5 years from now. For example, Chorus Kids are still a realistic choice at the moment, but let's say the new Rhythm Heaven game bombs in Japan, never comes west, and the series is dead. Chorus Kids aren't getting in Smash 5 in that scenario.

Tyeforce

I dunno, when secondary Kid Icarus characters are the level that Smash Bros. is down to (I'm talking about Palutena here, not Dark Pit) I think Metroid fans have reason to want, especially when it's been a common request since Melee.

But nobody has it worse than Donkey Kong.
I'd consider Palutena to be more important than any secondary Metroid character, personally, aside from maybe Ridley. She's the titular character of the series in Japan, after all. She's the Zelda of Kid Icarus. I mean, I understand her being an odd choice pre-Uprising, but Uprising was such a huge game and all, and it has a very important relationship to Smash Bros., too, considering it used Pit and Palutena's designs from Brawl and was directed by Sakurai as well. If it weren't for Smash Bros., Kid Icarus: Uprising wouldn't exist. I think Palutena's inclusion in Smash Bros. is well deserved.

NeonZ

Yeah, I subscribe to that theory. Lucina, Doc and Dark Pit thrown into the roster together, Dark Pit only teased to avoid an instant Evil Cole publicity.

Bowser Jr's trailer included the other Koopalings though, in spite of them being just costumes. In fact, I think the trailers were made before they decided to make them standalone characters. Note how Lucina just gets beaten up in the CG part of her own introductory trailer. The trailer being made for when she was a costume would also explain why she's the only secret character that got unveiled before launch.

I think the enormity of Kid Icarus Uprising is typically overstated (Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D sold better), and while it is connected to Smash Bros., the "Zelda of Kid Icarus" is a pretty low level honor in the grand scheme of Nintendo characters.

But I'm not trying to make a point on specific characters here--I'm just saying, we are pretty far down to the bottom of the barrel, and Metroid fans have been waiting a long while.

Neoxon

I think the enormity of Kid Icarus Uprising is typically overstated (Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D sold better), and while it is connected to Smash Bros., the "Zelda of Kid Icarus" is a pretty low level honor in the grand scheme of Nintendo characters.

But I'm not trying to make a point on specific characters here--I'm just saying, we are pretty far down to the bottom of the barrel, and Metroid fans have been waiting a long while.
But let's be fair, Metroid doesn't have many other options as far as other reps go. Ridley is too big for Smash & he's already a boss, and Dark Samus is already an Assist Trophy.

You could make an argument for the other hunters in Metroid Prime: Hunters, but that's scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Tyeforce

When I said it was a "huge" game I didn't mean in sales (unfortunately), but rather in content and in how it fleshed out the Kid Icarus franchise. You could throw critical acclaim in there, too.

And what I was getting at is that Palutena is more important to her franchise than pretty much any Metroid character is to the Metroid franchise except Samus (unless you want to count the Metroids themselves, but they don't really count as a "character"). Personally, I'd say another Metroid character (except maybe Ridley, if it were possible) would be scraping the bottom of the barrel much more so than Palutena. Metroid just doesn't have enough characters that are significant enough to the entire franchise that could work in Smash Bros.

Neoxon

When I said it was a "huge" game I didn't mean in sales (unfortunately), but rather in content and in how it fleshed out the Kid Icarus franchise. You could throw critical acclaim in there, too.

And what I was getting at is that Palutena is more important to her franchise than pretty much any Metroid character is to the Metroid franchise except Samus (unless you want to count the Metroids themselves, but they don't really count as a "character"). Personally, I'd say another Metroid character (except maybe Ridley, if it were possible) would be scraping the bottom of the barrel much more so than Palutena. Metroid just doesn't have enough characters that are significant enough to the entire franchise that could work in Smash Bros.
Exactly. While yes, Metroid is the bigger franchise, it doesn't have as big of a potential Smash character pool as Kid Icarus.

Bowser Jr's trailer included the other Koopalings though, in spite of them being just costumes. In fact, I think the trailers were made before they decided to make them standalone characters. Note how Lucina just gets beaten up in the CG part of her own introductory trailer. The trailer being made for when she was a costume would also explain why she's the only secret character that got unveiled before launch.

Possible, but an alternate theory would be that they purposefully revealed one clone so that other ones wouldn't be a negative shock. Who knows to be honest.

Bert409

Just thought of a new one while playing NES Remix...

Ice Hockey Fat Guy
BwZzN8BCcAApWne.jpg

One of the most dominating kickass Nintendo characters ever.

Zubz

Banned
In all seriousness metroid needs another rep that's not samus or ridley.

1z66vjt.gif

In all seriousness, Dark Samus was the best choice, but I'd be fine with Higgs making it into the roster.

Just so all the SmashGAF Character Census participants in this thread know, I've begun posting the results - starting with SmashGAF's 20th most-played characters (it was a tie!) - today in the main Smash thread. Results will continue to only be posted there, so please be aware!

Glad to see
Pac-Man
made it! I'm assuming my Main (WFT) & Secondary (DHD) didn't make it, but at least my Tertiary ranked!

Glad to see
Pac-Man
made it! I'm assuming my Main (WFT) & Secondary (DHD) didn't make it, but at least my Tertiary ranked!

Same here! I was pleasantly surprised that
Pac-Man
made the top 20 - I certainly wasn't expecting it!

As for Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt, you'll not get a peep out of me. ;) But wherever they placed, I will of course be posting the full results once I've finished with the countdown so players of every character can see where theirs placed, even if it wasn't in the top 20.

jph139

Honestly, when you think about it... Adam?

WIJhG1Vl.png

He's the only recurring humanoid character in the entire series other than Samus herself (unless you count Dark Samus). Even if one of those games has him as, y'know, a computer. Honestly, he's pretty comparable to Palutena in a way - one minor appearance, one larger, story-central appearance, with a lot of the plot hinging on their relationships to the main character.

I mean, he's not a good character, but if Other M wasn't a complete flop I think he'd have had a shot.
Honestly I think his design is really cool so I'd be on board.

Cryxok

WIJhG1Vl.png

He's the only recurring humanoid character in the entire series other than Samus herself (unless you count Dark Samus). Even if one of those games has him as, y'know, a computer. Honestly, he's pretty comparable to Palutena in a way - one minor appearance, one larger, story-central appearance, with a lot of the plot hinging on their relationships to the main character.

I mean, he's not a good character, but if Other M wasn't a complete flop I think he'd have had a shot.

Last time I suggested Adam I almost got eaten alive, brace yourself.
I also like his design, specially his Commander attire

Gravidee

Aside from the fact that no one really likes Adam especially after Other M, most of his potential moveset might have already been filled out by the Mii Gunner. There isn't really anything unique about him that would warrant as a playable character at this point.

Tyeforce

WIJhG1Vl.png

Although I like Adam, I wouldn't call him all that significant to Metroid. At least not as much as Palutena is to Kid Icarus. Palutena's been in all three Kid Icarus games. Adam's only been in two Metroid games (really only one if you don't count Fusion since he's a computer), which is just a fraction of the Metroid franchise (even omitting the Prime games). Plus he doesn't have being the titular character going for him like Palutena does. He's important in two Metroid games, but overall he's not all that significant to the franchise. And he doesn't exactly have enough unique abilities shown to really make a good move set for him, either (not that it can't be done of course, but it would be largely made up, and that wouldn't be a good representation of anything).

Again, I'm not really trying to make it an argument about one character. Palutena is more important to her series, sure, but her series itself isn't big at all. I mean, you argue necessity--that another Metroid character isn't necessary, but really, was any newcomer in SSB4 outside of Villager really necessary? They're just fun to have. We're long past the point of necessity. It seems to me that Metroid for some reason has to prove that a character addition is necessary, when fans wanting one seems like reason enough.

Now, I don't hold any delusions that a Metroid character is going to be added as DLC. I know Ridley and Dark Samus are the only viable options and they're currently tied up in other functions. But I don't see it as an unusual fan request to see someone else from the series that isn't a TnA version of Samus who's moveset is essentially Smash original.

Zubz

Banned
I have a feeling people would be more open to Dark Samus if she were called Metroid Prime, which is essentially what she is.

I remember reading a moveset for her Prime form during the Brawl days that had me interested in the idea, now that I think about it. The chances of them adding a giant blob is slim-to-none, but if the Duck Hunt Dog can be both a character and a platform, and Samus & Zelda can be two characters at once, Metroid Prime/Dark Samus can be a character, a costume for another character, and an Assist Trophy. Plus, it kind of worked for Shuma-Gorath.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I remember reading a moveset for her Prime form during the Brawl days that had me interested in the idea, now that I think about it. The chances of them adding a giant blob is slim-to-none, but if the Duck Hunt Dog can be both a character and a platform, and Samus & Zelda can be two characters at once, Metroid Prime/Dark Samus can be a character, a costume for another character, and an Assist Trophy. Plus, it kind of worked for Shuma-Gorath.
I think the easiest way you could make a Metroid Prime as a PC would be Dark Samus in regular form with her Assist Trophy moveset, and the actual Metroid as a Final Smash.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Iwata acknowledges that Splatoon is EAD's first new character IP since Pikmin in the latest Iwata Asks. It would be a real shame if Inkling doesn't eventually become a DLC character.

That's good news. I really need to read Iwata Asks very soon! Either way, I would be happy to see them as playable character!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Okay, Sakurai hires you to make a trailer for Anthony Higgs. How would you do it?

Also what would be the tagline?

Anthony Higgs REMEMBERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom