• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The lack of stage variety hurts the game very, very badly. Like, I'd guess 3 out of 4 stages at evo were Smashville. And even I, who don't mind walkoffs and the occasional hazard, have my random selection at less than half the roster. It's disappointing.

The lack of stage variety hurts the game very, very badly. Like, I'd guess 3 out of 4 stages at evo were Smashville. And even I, who don't mind walkoffs and the occasional hazard, have my random selection at less than half the roster. It's disappointing.

Yeah, like, I don't mind hazards or scrolling stages in general, either, if they're well designed.
In Brawl I liked Hanenbow and Shadow Moses (which is static of course, but does have the walls that heavily benefit chain grabs), I loved Pirate Ship and Norfair, among other things.

Man I would be all over Magicant if it didn't have Flying Man, Pyrosphere without Ridley and the other enemies, and Wily's Castle without the Yellow Devil.

There's plenty of visually distracting stages legal (or semi-legal) in competitive play. Especially in Brawl and Smash 4, the competitive scene is desperate for stages to play on because most of the stage selection is stages with massive intrusions on a gameplay scale.

Many stages have been tried to be used competitively, in the early Brawl rulesets, for instance Hanenbow was legal in team play, and Norfair was legal in 1v1.

I wasn't being too serious.

However, I do remember awhile back that some tourney players didn't want to pick Final Destination because of the bright flash that happens in the background during a transition.

However, I do remember awhile back that some tourney players didn't want to pick Final Destination because of the bright flash that happens in the background during a transition.

It's a legitimate concern, especially for visually impaired players. In Brawl (not sure about his Smash 4 alts atm) Mr. Game & Watch had this really bright cyan alt colour. That alt was banned on stages with a bright blue background because it would make G&W really hard to see on them.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Isn't the omega version of that stage devoid of any background shenanigans?

Zubz

Banned
Isn't the omega version of that stage devoid of any background shenanigans?

I always just assumed that Omega FD was the same as regular FD. I guess that'd make sense, though. The first few times I saw those meteors during that background transition, I genuinely thought they added stage hazards to Final Destination because they seemed to take a "Screw it, here're your balanced stages" approach towards Omega variants whilethey just started cramming hazards into everything. They're distracting enough that I can see someone wanting to turn those transitions off alongside the stage hazards, to be honest.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly think Fountain of Dreams is boring. Dreamland however is magnificent. FoD is really just a reskinned Battlefield and everyone seems to love reskinned Battlefield.

Either you're being really rough on them right here with the semantics or you missed that last sentence.

That's the whole point of the DYK videos, they're just interesting factoids about games and systems which most people aren't aware of. They're not trying to unearth any new information.

Eh, they can also spread misinformation like a bunch of their Pokemon crap or even Star Fox.

Stuff like Magicant and Wily's Castle would be the best non-omega stages in the game if you could just turn off their bosses.

Hatchtag

Banned
I honestly think Fountain of Dreams is boring. Dreamland however is magnificent. FoD is really just a reskinned Battlefield and everyone seems to love reskinned Battlefield.

Yeah, but it's the best reskinned battlefield. Such a great looking stage.

I want these stages brought back for competitive play:
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Fountain of Dreams
-Yoshi's Story
-Yoshi's Island (from 3DS version)
-Prism Tower (from 3DS version)

I also wouldn't mind the Wii U's more competitive stages getting ported to the 3DS version.

And whilst I want all stages brought back for fun play, I'd want Corneria ported from the 3DS version to the Wii U version the most. It's like one of the best party stages in the series, why is it not in the Wii U version?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ehh. The only stages I turned off are the ones with bosses (and even then I'm actually considering Gaur Plains because Metal Face isn't that bad, it's just that the map is too big), very big maps (Big Battlefield, the aforementioned Gaur Plains, Palutena's Temple, Temple, The Great Cave Offensive), two stages with gimmicks that make fighting slower (Jungle Hijinks and Wrecking Crew), and scrolling stages (Pac-Land, and even then I wouldn't mind Pac-Land if it weren't for the "return home" segments of the stage).

Otherwise I actually find fighting in the other stages fine. I just feel like competitive folk like Battlefield map more. Or at least the ones resembling Yoshi's Island in Brawl.

Anyway let's talk about music, unlike some people I actually love 4's selection and feel like it's the best out of all of the Smashes. None of that same-y instruments and offers a plethora of good variety of songs.

With that said I can see the 4-min limit flaw it has, and DK Rap isn't the only victim of it. Gaur Plains is too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Eh, they can also spread misinformation like a bunch of their Pokemon crap or even Star Fox.

Fountain of Dreams isn't really exactly same as Battlefield because of moving platforms.

Zubz

Banned
Actually, if I remember correctly, the stage starts off with the platforms being slightly displaced.

Yeah; I think the lower 2 platforms are closer to the ground. Man, I loved Fountain of Dreams; just imagine how beautiful it'd be in HD! I'm wondering if I should go back to the ballot and nominate it like it was a character...

So there are four vets that don't have Final Smashes. So I thought of a few...

Pichu: Volt Tackle. Clone of Pikachu's except faster, but ends sooner. This is honestly the best move Pichu can have as a FS, it's iconic for Pichu as well as Pikachu.

Young Link: Trifor... err Fierce Deity Link. Turns into Fierce Deity Link. Who is a more powerful clone of Link, just with slightly different specials. But Young Link is Toon Link, I only included him for people who are picky.

Squirtle: Hydrocannon, a Pokeball is sent out with a Blastoise, who immediately Mega-Evolves. Squirtle hops onto his back, and Blastoise starts firing off huge cannon blasts. This is similar to Blastoise's old Pokeball power, except much faster and more powerful, and can be aimed. Blastoise can't move during the attack. When it's over, Blastoise returns to his Pokeball as Squirtle waves goodbye off stage.

Ivysaur: Grass Attack Blitz. Ivysaur shakes her leaves and the top of the screen shows sunbeams (Sunny Day is fire type, but sue me). All characters get a flower on their head (Leech Seed). The player now has to spam the special button (with a prompt) to charge the beam (Solar Beam). Also this button mashing grows the flowers on the enemy's heads. It's fired straight ahead at whatever power was charged. Ivysaur recovers a portion of the damage the flowers did.

None of these characters will come back, sadly

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Stuff like Magicant and Wily's Castle would be the best non-omega stages in the game if you could just turn off their bosses.
Competitive players would ban Magicant anyway because of the random octopi statues and giant tomatoes that would lead to walling. Fucking competitive players.

Tyeforce

Ivysaur: Grass Attack Blitz. Ivysaur shakes her leaves and the top of the screen shows sunbeams (Sunny Day is fire type, but sue me).
I'm curious, where did the whole "Pokémon Trainer's Ivysaur is female" thing come from? I've seen many people refer to Ivysaur as female in Smash Bros., but why? In Smash Bros., none of the Pokémon's genders have ever been officially disclosed, as far as I know. The only ones that we can be sure of are Mewtwo because it's genderless, and Pikachu due to the tail, but even then the game refers to Pikachu as "it" instead of "he," as is the case with all Pokémon. If anything, Ivysaur is more likely to be male since it has a higher rate of being male, along with Squirtle, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja (with only Jigglypuff having a higher rate of being female), so I'm just confused as to why people starting referring to Ivysaur as female.

I'm not sure how it spread into the GAF, or where exactly it came from originally, but during the days of Brawl's competitive peak, several top Pokemon Trainer players (such as Reflex) started calling Ivysaur a she, saying that they like the thought of Ivy being female.
From there, it kinda expanded to the PT forums on Smashboards and from there all over the general forums, where it had become sorta headcanon of the community that Ivysaur is female.

I guess some of it must've bled over into the non-competitive scene.

Tyeforce

I'm not sure how it spread into the GAF, or where exactly it came from originally, but during the days of Brawl's competitive peak, several top Pokemon Trainer players (such as Reflex) started calling Ivysaur a she, saying that they like the thought of Ivy being female.
From there, it kinda expanded to the PT forums on Smashboards and from there all over the general forums, where it had become sorta headcanon of the community that Ivysaur is female.

I guess some of it must've bled over into the non-competitive scene.
Okay, so it's just made up BS, lol. That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if there was some sort of official implication that I might have missed.

NeonZ

I'm curious, where did the whole "Pokémon Trainer's Ivysaur is female" thing come from? I've seen many people refer to Ivysaur as female in Smash Bros., but why? In Smash Bros., none of the Pokémon's genders have ever been officially disclosed, as far as I know. The only ones that we can be sure of are Mewtwo because it's genderless, and Pikachu due to the tail, but even then the game refers to Pikachu as "it" instead of "he," as is the case with all Pokémon. If anything, Ivysaur is more likely to be male since it has a higher rate of being male, along with Squirtle, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja (with only Jigglypuff having a higher rate of being female), so I'm just confused as to why people starting referring to Ivysaur as female.

In the Japanese version, Ivysaur had a female VA (Tomoko Kawakami).

Edit: And...I think that's pretty much it. I had read that she had voiced a female Bulbasaur in the anime too, but it doesn't seem to be true. She voiced a couple of Pokemon, but no Bulbasaurs.

jph139

I remember reading something about there being a seed in Ivysaur's flower (which is evident in female Venusaur but not in males). Not sure if that's BS though.

I remember reading something about there being a seed in Ivysaur's flower (which is evident in female Venusaur but not in males). Not sure if that's BS though.

Yes, only female Venusaur's have the seed and Ivysaur has the seed in her bulb. I've been calling Ivysaur a her since the Brawl days.

Zubz

Banned

Yup. That's what burned it for me. I mean, Starters have roughly a 1/8 chance of being a Female, and since we already had 2 presumably-male starters, those odds were looking better, anyway.

Well to compensate for the DK Rap catastrophe they can give us the Japanese ending theme to the Donkey Kong Country cartoon.

We still don't have the US Pokemon theme in the game; they shouldn't allow any TV show themes into the game until they add the GOAT. The Japanese OST for the Kirby show doesn't count, since it was all recycled for Air Ride, anyway.

Richie

What's funny is that the game itself, through one of the Trivia bits that pop up before matches, says Battlefield's layout has been represented in every game, specifically naming Dreamland for Smash 64.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The N64 stage that should return!

jam2hvq.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly surprised the Table hasn't made it as a stage yet. Could be one helluva unlockable.

Move all the stage features to the background and that should have been Final Destination. It is after all where we first see Masterhand.

It's incredibly comforting to me that as of next month every single Smash Bros game will have a stage based on Mario 64.

I don't know why, but it just feels right to me that Mario 64 gets a stage on every Smash.

Also Mario 3D World will be the only 3D Mario game without a stage in Smash 4 (counting the 3DS, and Mario Galaxy as repping both games).

I was really disappointed the N64 era was entirely ignored for Smash 4, but it seems they're righting that wrong, at least with stages.

Also my first fight on Peach's Castle will be me vs Mario and Luigi as a team. Because Classic Mode nostalgia.

Hatchtag

Banned
It's incredibly comforting to me that as of next month every single Smash Bros game will have a stage based on Mario 64.

I don't know why, but it just feels right to me that Mario 64 gets a stage on every Smash.

Also Mario 3D World will be the only 3D Mario game without a stage in Smash 4 (counting the 3DS, and Mario Galaxy as repping both games).

I was really disappointed the N64 era was entirely ignored for Smash 4, but it seems they're righting that wrong, at least with stages.

I wonder when we'll get a video with updates on next month's content.
There's Devil's Third (in some regions), Splatoon's August Update, Smash's likely August Update. September is when their release schedule gets back on track with Mario Maker and such. Plus, there's likely a new Pokemon game to announce soon.

Thinking about the N64 stages made me realize on the Wii U there will be more N64 stages than Melee stages ._.

Wow...

That's actually kind of bad. The 3DS stole all the Melee stages...

And only Fourside, Jungle Japes, Great Bay* Icicle Mountain*, Mushroom Kingdom I and II don't have their music already used.

*: Default music is used, alt music isn't.

Zubz

Banned
I wonder when we'll get a video with updates on next month's content.
There's Devil's Third (in some regions), Splatoon's August Update, Smash's likely August Update. September is when their release schedule gets back on track with Mario Maker and such. Plus, there's likely a new Pokemon game to announce soon.

Honestly, I feel like they were definitely planning an August Direct for all of this stuff. Maybe with a Star Fox update/announcement that they're adding another Pokken character, too. But now with Iwata gone, I'm not so sure we're going to get one. I mean, I doubt we'll go without a Direct for the rest of the year, but maybe they'll announce everything in small updates ala MK8's DLC and take the month of August off. I wouldn't spurn one if we got one, but I'm not feeling a Direct this August, and I'm fine with that.

Thinking about the N64 stages made me realize on the Wii U there will be more N64 stages than Melee stages ._.

... Huh. I never would have noticed that. I mean, I knew we had Temple, Onett, and Yoshi's Island, but I guess I just kept thinking of some of the Brawl stages as Melee stages. As a Melee fan, this realization kinda sucks. Hopefully they'll add some and be cool with repeating music to play on multiple stages, ala Battlefield & Big Battlefield's My Music. I mean, even with Pokemon Stadium 2, I'm still thirsty for the original. And my desire for Fountain of Dreams in HD is inextinguishable.

So, K. Rool's name has been trademarked for the first time ever. The timing is certainly... fishy. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's interesting to see.)

Oh no...

SaL22.jpg~c200

Hatchtag

Banned
So, K. Rool's name has been trademarked for the first time ever. The timing is certainly... fishy. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's interesting to see.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/Xa0YAXm9S_tEzs80av_qC7c-U5HyY_uQ (new)
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/-L-sytPSngSbZEEkyksX6NLu75c8srJS (old)

Huh. I'd love if they did K Rool before the ballot was over, so that way Ridley could win the ballot.

Honestly, I feel like they were definitely planning an August Direct for all of this stuff. Maybe with a Star Fox update/announcement that they're adding another Pokken character, too. But now with Iwata gone, I'm not so sure we're going to get one. I mean, I doubt we'll go without a Direct for the rest of the year, but maybe they'll announce everything in small updates ala MK8's DLC and take the month of August off. I wouldn't spurn one if we got one, but I'm not feeling one, and I'm fine with that.

I do wonder what they'll do with Iwata gone. Surely they won't have a non-game Direct without a new CEO in place. Sakurai could still do a Smash Bros update video, though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

RomanceDawn

So, K. Rool's name has been trademarked for the first time ever. The timing is certainly... fishy. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's interesting to see.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/Xa0YAXm9S_tEzs80av_qC7c-U5HyY_uQ (new)
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/-L-sytPSngSbZEEkyksX6NLu75c8srJS (old)

It means everything as far as I'm concerned. Nintendo is preparing for him to be in the spot light in a very major way. Smash, Diddy Kong Racing and the inevitable DKCNX&Knuckles. The age of Rool is upon us.

So uh, Balladofwindfishes, am I on your ignore list?

Neoxon

The reason I find this interesting is because trademarks are often done for merchandising reasons, and they could potentially be planning a K. Rool Amiibo right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom