• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchtag

Banned
Are we 100% positive he wasn't trademarked before?

I really do hope this is Smash-related news. I think him, Inkling and Ridley are probably the most likely first party newcomers (maybe Chorus Kids too due to likely already having work done).

Tiny Kong, Chunky Kong, and Lanky Kong are also trademarked. I doubt it means anything.

It could very well mean nothing, but it seems like a waste of time and money to randomly trademark a character unless they have further plans for them. Who knows, maybe the DK64 Kongs will be featured in Diddy Kong Racing 2. Or maybe they were trademarked before. But what I do know is that this is the first time K. Rool has ever been trademarked. I also find it highly suspicious that he's been given prime real estate in the press releases for every Donkey Kong game on the Virtual Console. They could be trying to raise awareness for the character.

Nowhere on the DK64 page do they use the full "King K. Rool" name, though I'm not sure that means anything.

Not that I'm sure this trademark means anything either.

Toon Link only is called Toon Link in the game to differentiate him from adult Link. For all intents and purposes, Toon Link is Link, just with a different visual design.
That's why Toon Link is not trademarked. It's just an interpretation of Link.

There's no trademark for "King K. Rool" according to the Trademarkia.com website.

Is that site updated live? It could take a while (i.e. a few days) for new trademarks to show up in there. That page there was just posted, and the game doesn't go live until tomorrow.

There's no trademark for "King K. Rool" according to the Trademarkia.com website.

There's a difference between a registered trademark and a trademark. Very rarely are trademarks registered unless it pertains to the name of a game. This is why "Diddy Kong" is on here but "Waluigi" isn't.

Is that site updated live? It could take a while (i.e. a few days) for new trademarks to show up in there. That page there was just posted, and the game doesn't go live until tomorrow.

This is also true, though I don't think it matters unless Retro's third Donkey Kong Country game is subtitled "King K. Rool's Revenge".

Neoxon

There's still the issue of Nintendo. I mean, of course Microsoft is down for Banjo in Smash, it's free advertising for their IP. Nintendo isn't gonna simply let Banjo in Smash 4 (along with a Banjo Amiibo) unless they get something big in return (like the next Banjo game on a Nintendo console). Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than okay with Banjo in Smash, it's just a bit unrealistic given the scenario that Banjo is in.

Neoxon

Allowing a full, unaltered Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie on the VC would be enticing.
If it were me, I'd take the deal.
Then again, I'd be kinda biased towards getting an unaltered Diddy Kong Racing on the Virtual Console, but I did enjoy the additions found in the DS version.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Remember the last deal MS offered Nintendo to allow them to have an old Rare game.

'You can have the N64 GoldenEye on VC Nintendo if you let us release a HD remake with online on our system.'

Gee, I wonder why that was rejected.

Hatchtag

Banned
Remember the last deal MS offered Nintendo to allow them to have an old Rare game.

'You can have the N64 GoldenEye on VC Nintendo if you let us release a HD remake with online on our system.'

Well, this time Nintendo could take a deal like that with Banjo Kazooie, since Microsoft seems completely uninterested in every making another game in that franchise.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Sssh let the Rare fanboys think Nintendo is incompetent for being unable to release old Rare games.

If it were me, I'd take the deal.
Then again, I'd be kinda biased towards getting an unaltered Diddy Kong Racing on the Virtual Console, but I did enjoy the additions found in the DS version.
I really didn't like the DS 'remake' and would absolutely take the N64 version being released on VC if it also came with Banjo being in Smash. I wouldn't see Microsoft allowing the original Kazooie and Tooie being on the eShop when the HD remasters are already in Rare Replay and are virtually unchanged beyond the framerate/resolution fix and slightly altering the Mario/DK cameos in Tooie.

He's up there with K. Rool/Dixie for another Smash rep for me, but he has a hell of a lot of hurdles to go through.

BKSmash

Of course Microsoft is happy to have free advertisement for their IP. It is never going to happen.

Perhaps not, but 50% of the acceptance has already happened (Phil saying yes ofc) so it's all up to Nintendo.
But if I know Nintendo, they don't even remember that Banjo Kazooie exists

Crayolan

Neoxon

Well, this time Nintendo could take a deal like that with Banjo Kazooie, since Microsoft seems completely uninterested in every making another game in that franchise.
Believe me, Microsoft would use Banjo in Smash to revive the franchise if given the chance. Look at Mega Man, he's about to get his own cartoon following his inclusion in Smash 4.

Boss Doggie

I always hate seeing Nintendo blamed for the Goldeneye fiasco. They were getting a bad deal and didn't take it, it's that simple.

You should check out that Rare 30 thread.

Rare fanboys are really weird, they have this passive aggressive thing going on with their products.

Illucio

Banned
You should check out that Rare 30 thread.

Rare fanboys are really weird, they have this passive aggressive thing going on with their products.

It's because they love Rare and hate Microsoft for destroying the Studio that we love and then any sort of attempt with the Studio is mediocre or down right terrible.

Simply put fans just want the old Rare back, when the people who we're part of that Rare all left and are now back together to make Yooka Laylee.

If anything Yooka Laylee should be in Smash than Banjo, but people still want to see Banjo in Smash when I'm here like: "As much as I love the duo.. NO."

KingBroly

Banned
Of course Microsoft is happy to have free advertisement for their IP. It is never going to happen.

Or there won't be another Xbox Console, meaning Banjo's comin' home! Long have we lived for this day, friends. It will be a day long remembered, it has seen the dawn of all day breakfast, and will soon see return of Banjo-Kazooie.

Not happening, but I'd love for BK to come home to Nintendo consoles

Boss Doggie

It's because they love Rare and hate Microsoft for destroying the Studio that we love and then any sort of attempt with the Studio is mediocre or down right terrible.

Simply put fans just want the old Rare back, when the people who we're part of that Rare all left and are now back together to make Yooka Laylee.

If anything Yooka Laylee should be in Smash than Banjo, but people still want to see Banjo in Smash when I'm here like: "As much as I love the duo.. NO."

That's why I'm laughing at the reactions in the Rare 30 thread. You even have the usual posters there.

Drago

Viva Pinata is far from mediocre or down right terrible. C'mon now.

I'd also argue the same for N&B. Great game that should have been a new IP and not the first Banjo after an 8 year absence.

I hadn't had a dream about Smash in awhile.

But last night I had a bizarre one.
A kid in Japan was part of the Make a Wish foundation, and part of his wish was to tour the Smash studio. They let him pick one 3DS stage to port to the Wii U and he picked Yoshi's Island Brawl.

They ported it 100% from the 3DS. It didn't even have My Music. It just had two songs that were accessed the same as the 3DS. It was in its own menu on the stage screen as well, and they had put it in so quickly they never shipped the name of the menu, so it was just called stage_menu_3.

It was weird.

kirby_fox

Banned
As we get closer and closer to August, I wonder more and more how we're going to be getting our information about the next update and what all it'll contain. I can see them potentially dropping in a couple more characters since they dropped 3 on last month but at the same time I feel like that calls for a direct.

And I'm just not sure a direct will happen any time soon.

I think we'll only get one character next month. I think the triple update for E3 was not the norm and was just a big content dump because of E3.

I'm also pretty sure it's going to be Wolf. But that's just a hunch.

kirby_fox

Banned
I think we'll only get one character next month. I think the triple update for E3 was not the norm and was just a big content dump because of E3.

I'm also pretty sure it's going to be Wolf. But that's just a hunch.

Could just pull a Lucas though and announce the date of release for everything. Maybe not even a direct, just a trailer.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
(Dream) August Update:
Solid Snake and MGS stage
Wolf
Hyrule Castle 64 and Peach Castle 64
Tournament and(or) Tourney
Youtube Feature

I would think slim to none. We would have already seen them if they were there I would think. They've learned their lesson.

I wonder about that so I would guess we will see if it would happens again next month.

KingBroly

Banned
(Dream) August Update:
Solid Snake and MGS stage
Wolf
Hyrule Castle 64 and Peach Castle 64
Tournament and(or) Tourney
Youtube Feature

I wonder about that so I would guess we will see if it would happens again next month.

The first one won't happen. Konami's CEO has gone off the bend, and Kojima and Nintendo aren't exactly in his good graces anymore.

I was searching K Rool for whatever reason and came across this
tumblr_nr7r3iAnab1upxbs2o1_500.jpg

...uhh ok

I don't even remember K Rool speaking in Baseball

Did... they seriously just move the camera on K Rool's trophy and try and pretend it's a player model?

lol

Is the first image supposed to be implying Balloon Fighter is coming or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom