• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's cause the swordsmen are the lead characters. The FE developers lately have been introducing secondary leads and shared leads where you have multiple characters with a variety of weapons, not just swords, as the mains, but that wasn't really the case when Roy and Ike were picked. And Marth was of course picked because he was the OG Lord.

Dr. Buni

The main reason people are fed-up with FE getting "over-represented" is because 5 out of 5 characters are swordsmen. I think most people are perfectly fine with Robin even, because he does more than just slash about with his sword, as he has a very distinct playstyle mixing magic into his repertoire.

The rest are just "blokes and lass with cape and sword", and in 3 out of the 4 people they also have blue hair.

It gives are very limited representation of the FE franchise. I understand why people are disgruntled. Whether Roy is a popular vet or not.
I am fed-up because 5 reps are too much for Fire Emblem, but that is just my opinion. Ideally the Fire Emblem reps would be Marth (mascot of sorts), Ike and Robin (unique, plus she is the avatar of the most popular title in the series). But now we are at the 5 reps mark... and I hope it stays this way for the next couple games (it won't).

Yeah it's an understandable complaint. I don't really understand why they keep picking swordspeople. I'm not really a Fire Emblem type of person, but I know there's a lot of other interesting stuff.
They keep picking sword people because that's the weapon of choice for most of the main characters. Most other characters that are known to wield other weapons aren't as iconic or central to the story, so they'd be a little weird to see in Smash, even if they make sense from a gameplay perspective.

edit: beaten.

It would be kind of cool if they could mix up some of the FE characters' moves. Like if Ike could shoot a beam from his sword like he does in his own games. That would make him standout quite a bit more.

I don't think there's much numerical value to be put. Fire Emblem is an ever-evolving series that introduces an entire new cast with each iteration, a lot like Pokemon introduces a whole new set of Pokemon with each iteration.

It makes sense for Fire Emblem to get newcomers that represent the most recent (or a recent) game in the series. That's what Roy, Ike and Robin+Lucina are. Plus Lucina is just an extra anyway - she might be a newcomer, but you can't really count her much. She was supposed to be an alt first and they had some leftover development time so they could add her as unique character.
The only option was Smash 4 with Lucina or Smash 4 without Lucina. There's no "slots" that Lucina took away.

3/5ths of the FE roster are the same moveset interpreted 3 different ways. If FE didn't have clones, it would be

- Quick, graceful sword user based on spacing
- Brute, heavy, unrefined sword user
- Magic and sword using hybrid

Those are very different sword styles. It's like comparing Falcon, Bowser and Little Mac as being "boring hand to hand combat users."

Lucina is still just Marth, but without the spacing aspect (which makes her kind of bland), but Roy is a nice blend between quick and graceful spacing, and powerful heavy sword user.

FE has been in Smash awhile and over time the vets build up, leading to latter games have boatloads of characters for a series that maybe shouldn't have boatloads of characters.

I wouldn't want FE to be like Pokemon and scorch earth 75% of the new comers every time.

Dr. Buni

The other option was Smash 4 with Alph as his own character :p I never said Lucina took anyone's spot, again, I am just saying that I don't like the current representation of Fire Emblem. Especially with DK forever having only two reps
and Rhythm Heaven having no reps.

And I should clarify that I don't hate/dislike the Fire Emblem series. Besides Ike's games, Rekka no Ken and Sacred Stones were enjoyable games.

I'm pretty sure that Alph's inclusion was not stopped by Lucina's. Especially since Lucina was the easiest to make out of the 3 costume clones. She has no unique moves, her model already existed, all they had to do is change the properties of her blade and that's it.
Dark Pit has a whole new final smash and some slightly different properties on his specials, Dr. Mario has a unique DAir and Down Special, and Alph would've had unique Rock Pikmin.

If you want to blame somebody to take Alph's place, blame Doc or Dark Pit.

Frofro

Banned
Remember when Sakurai said making a new game wasn't about just adding new characters before Smash 4? People immediately thought we were only getting a couple of new characters. Then we got the first gematsu leak, and people thought those were the only 6.

Fast forward post release, and we have 17 Newcomers? And still have the potential of more on the way.

Smash 5 does have many solid contenders too.

New Mario Rep: Likely Toad
New DK Rep: Dixie or K Rool
New 7th Gen Pokemon Rep
New FE Lord
Inklings
Chorus Kids
Chibi Robo
Takamaru

Maybe New Kirby Rep, Like Waddle Dee
If W101 gets a sequel by some miracle, then Wonder Red
If F Zero gets a reboot, a new rep is possible (Goroh/ Black Shadow)
Maybe a new KI Rep if it gets a sequel (Medusa or Hades maybe)
Dillon could get a larger game in the future, so maybe him.
Alph promotion?

New 3rd Party Character (Like Rayman or Layton)

And perhaps another new IP created sometime between now and the release.

There really are a lot of possibilities right away for new characters in Smash 5. I wouldn't expect a low number. If the first game had 12, second 14, third 18, and now the 4th has 17+, I'd say theres no reason we can't hope for a number between 12-18.

Dr. Buni

I'm pretty sure that Alph's inclusion was not stopped by Lucina's. Especially since Lucina was the easiest to make out of the 3 costume clones. She has no unique moves, her model already existed, all they had to do is change the properties of her blade and that's it.
Dark Pit has a whole new final smash and some slightly different properties on his specials, Dr. Mario has a unique DAir and Down Special, and Alph would've had unique Rock Pikmin.

If you want to blame somebody to take Alph's place, blame Doc or Dark Pit.
But I want to blame Lucina :p
There really are a lot of possibilities right away for new characters in Smash 5. I wouldn't expect a low number. If the first game had 12, second 14, third 18, and now the 4th has 17+, I'd say theres no reason we can't hope for a number between 12-18.
You mean besides the issue with balancing the game and how much development time the game would take (if it isn't an updated port of Smash 4)? The reason some people (me included) think the newcomer roster in Smash 5 will be smaller than the usual is definitely not because Nintendo doesn't have enough worthy characters for Smash. There is a reason most fighting games don't have over 50 characters in their rosters (and the ones that have, like KOF 2002, are a mess in terms of balance... and in other aspects too, seriously KOF 2002 is really poorly developed compared to 97, 98, etc).

If Smash 5 lacks a Zelda new comer, it will have been two decades since Zelda got a new character, assuming Smash 5 hits in 2020 or so.

Let that sink in.

ZELDA

TWO DECADES

If Smash 5 lacks a Zelda new comer, it will have been two decades since Zelda got a new character, assuming Smash 5 hits in 2020 or so.

Let that sink in.

ZELDA

TWO DECADES

I think Toon Link counted as a new character in Sakurai's mind. Not in a lot of ours (mine included, really), but I think that was good enough for him.

RIP Shovel Knight for Smash
CNbRBI-WIAAD37C.jpg:large

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Always thought the retail angle was suspicious since why would the retail sector know about DLC. Another case of someone learning about one bit of information (Shovel Knight amiibo) and jumping to conclusions.

Still, an Amiibo for an indie game is pretty big.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So we've gone from fighter rumours to Mii costume rumours.

Soon we'll be going from Mii costume rumours to just a trophy.

Frofro

Banned
We should all pick sides like during the Palutena "leak." That was fun.

Well since YCGs has a big live stream announcement with Nintendo tonight, lets wait and see what they say first! And then we can pick sides.

If the rumor is true, then maybe Nintendo will try to trick us with the SK amiibo announcement tonight,,, then in a few months say he was for Smash all along

So this happened
I wasn't going to post about this initially, but I guess it might be worth it now.

An anonymous source reached out to me on Twitter yesterday saying Shovel Knight is absolutely coming to Smash and that I can "quote them on it." Of course I don't believe anything like that sight unseen, and I let them know as much, but they proceeded to give me very, very specific details about Shovel Knight's supposed moveset and stage - too many details for them all to be lucky guesses.

Who knows if any of it is true, but they also said he's getting revealed at PAX... so at least I don't have to wait long to find out if they're full of it or not. I have reached out to them again in light of the amiibo getting leaked, but haven't heard back yet.

I'll keep you guys updated, for anything this little situation is worth.

What a ride this has been.

jph139

Yeah I'm onboard the Shovel Knight train 100% at this point. Knew the amiibo confirmation wasn't the end!

Don't really care about the character - haven't played the game, though all this discussion has piqued my interest! - but he's such a goddamn longshot of a choice that I can't help but get excited about the possibility. Dude seriously had Geno-tier odds until earlier this week.

Yeah I'm onboard the Shovel Knight train 100% at this point. Knew the amiibo confirmation wasn't the end!

Don't really care about the character - haven't played the game, though all this discussion has piqued my interest! - but he's such a goddamn longshot of a choice that I can't help but get excited about the possibility. Dude seriously had Geno-tier odds until earlier this week.

Since Yacht Club Games, the developers of Shovel Knight, are going to release the first (free) DLC expansion soon, now is the best time to grab the game. :)

Also, I'm honestly not all that surprised that he'd be picked. The game is massively popular already (a lot more than most other indie candidates, including Shantae, as much as I would've loved and even preferred her), is on the current Nintendo platforms and perhaps his release in Smash Bros. will coincide with the release of the game over in Japan. It would all make sense.

Zubz

Banned
Source Gaming confirms Unseen 64's sources

It just got real. Source Gaming doesn't mess around.

They're only 80% certain on it, though. It's far more likely than Tamaki possibly teasing folks again, but it's not 100% just yet!

Still, as I said in the SK thread, I really hope there's one more left-field character that doesn't get leaked. All of the surprising characters were leaked at least 2 months in advance this time around, so it'd suck if someone as unexpected as Shovel Knight got leaked. I mean, Duck Hunt was left-field. Shovel Knight is running in from the football stadium across town, breaking into the stadium, and just charging onto the field from behind the batter.

RomanceDawn

Shovel Knight seeming more and more legit huh?

I'm sure I'll be excited when I actually see it in motion.

No Ridley and no Dixie make Romancedawn something something...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still find it odd that a retail source would have info on a non retail release.

The Amiibo makes sense for this. DLC doesn't.

Also the source is confident but not 100% certain. Still room for error even if they are correct about SK coming.

Frofro

Banned
Apparently part of this leak is that the there are only two more characters left, Shovel Knight and one more that's most likely Wolf.

Plus we do have the character slots for only two more in the data (although more can be added).

And the roster can fit only two more characters without getting rescaled again. (it did already happen once though, so its possible).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Apparently part of this leak is that the there are only two more characters left, Shovel Knight and one more that's most likely Wolf.

Well if anything is a death nail to this rumour it's that. Considering logic would say there would be one additional one from the Smash Ballot alone.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I assume Wolf will be billed as the Japanese ballot "winner" as Shovel Knight will be the west's "winner"

Seems to be a bit arbitrary to lump all of the West together. Europe alone is extremely diverse in its taste.

Also odd to call a winner before the ballot's ending date (we have over a month left and I expect a surge of last minute votes) when Nintendo themselves said they'd consider every single suggestion ergo even the very last one sent that asks for 'Young Toad who owns a Geno doll from Super Mario RPG.'

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, it is very likely that no characters will be cut, but that would lead Smash 5 to having a very small number of newcomers. I personally wouldn't mind that, but seeing how people love to bitch about the relatively low number of new Pokémon in Generation VI, it seems to me that quantity is very important for others.[

Hey, I would be okay with that if we are getting like 6 to 10 more newcomers for next Smash.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind myself if the next Smash had only about say, eight newcomers.[/URL]

Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Inkling (Splatoon)
Anyone (Rhythm Heaven)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
????
????
????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom