• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

I really do hope we don't get two Fire Emblem characters again. One is a given, but two? Fuck that.

When did people start hating this again? I remember when everyone was hyped out of their ass because "HOLY FUCK TWO OF THEM?!"

Add Azura or Corrin and remove Lucina. Problem solved.
Not really, because people will complain that she got cut.

It'd be the Roy cycle all over again.

We wishlisting for the next smash already? truly the cycle is unbreakable.
I'm just gonna lament the fact that I'll still be putting Dixie on that list of mine.

Dr. Buni

When did people start hating this again? I remember when everyone was hyped out of their ass because "HOLY FUCK TWO OF THEM?!"
It is just my opinion. I think I have the right of not wanting two Fire Emblem characters in the next Smash, the same way some people don't want K. Rool, Ridley and others.

If you like the 400 FE playable characters in Smash and want more, good for you. But I don't.

kirby_fox

Banned
How would you all feel about a bunch of characters getting in as clones of our current roster? They could easily make a bunch of these, with minor changes. Especially considering all of the customs in the game.

Ridley (Charizard clone)
Impa (Sheik clone)
Dixie (Diddy clone)
K Rool (Bowser/Dedede semi-clone-- taking a bit from each and probably adding a crown throw)
Isaac (Robin clone)

Clones can play differently, and in the case of K Rool would likely be very different. They would lose a lot of their uniqueness, but it'd add a bunch of newcomers in people have been wanting.

Golnei

I really do hope we don't get two Fire Emblem characters again. One is a given, but two? Fuck that.

I really don't think it's anywhere near as inevitable as you seem to think. Fire Emblem got one actual newcomer and a clone that was initially an alt for Smash 4's base game; with Roy returning as DLC due only to his veteran status and ease of production. Despite the series' newfound prominence, it wouldn't be that far-fetched for SSB5 to not have any new Fire Emblem characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xkw8OXLr_w

Apparently Etika is doing a live debate on Youtube in two hours between K. Rool and Shovel Knight regarding their DLC chances. This might be entertaining.

Uhh... isn't this a pretty easy debate?

K Rool has popularity across all regions, but is hampered by being an old character that isn't relevant anymore. His Mii costume puts his chances in serious jeopardy, and it's pretty clear he probably isn't happening.

Shovel Knight has popularity as well, but is hampered by being a small title not released in Japan. There's, however, reliable information that points to him being a likely future addition.

What's there to debate about?

Tregard

Soothsayer
Characters I'd like to see as DLC/in Smash 5, ranked in order of likeliness.

1) Inkling (or Callie/Marie)
2) Captain Toad
3) Takamru
4) Skull Kid
5) Dillon (or Harmoknight)
6) Bayonetta
7) Sheriff
8) Captain N

Marth. Buff Marth. Girl Marth. Fire Marth. Magic Marth. Dragon Marth. Girl Marth again with a spear.

Lucina was lucky that Sakurai decided to make her a new character instead of a costume.

NeonZ

In the end, the main advantage of Lucina being a standalone character rather than a costume is actually outside of Smash. Due to getting an Amiibo, she was added to Codename STEAM, Fire Emblem Fates and Mario Maker. She wouldn't have gotten those appearances if she had been just a costume in Smash Bros (Well, Masked Lucina might have been in Fates anyway, but she'd lack even more features compared to the main cast and probably would just reuse skills, rather than having her own, like Minerva).

There probably will be yet another FE out before the next SSB game even starts development though, so if there are 2 new FE characters in the next game, it'd be probably something like Corrin + new FE protagonist or new default avatar. if there's only one new character, it's more likely to be that future new hero.

There are definitely a ton of feasible newcomers for a new Smash Bros.
  • Toad
  • Dixie Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Zelda character (Toon Zelda, Tingle, Impa, or someone else who is relevant by the time of the next Smash)
  • Ridley (Sakurai should try really hard to scale him down to appease Metroid fans after all these years)
  • New Pokémon (or more than one Pokémon newcomer like in Melee and Brawl)
  • New Fire Emblem character
  • Isabelle (has become a massively popular and focal character over the last three years)
  • Excitebiker
  • Takamaru
  • Chorus Kids or another Rhythm Heaven character
  • Inkling
  • New IP character (EAD/SPD is bound to create at least one new IP before the next Smash)
  • New guest character 1
  • New guest character 2
Ah, someone other than me finally mentioned Excitebiker!

Richie

Dang you guys for making me entertain the idea of the Smash maintenance having even the slightest correlation to MGS V releasing that day. Rationally I know it has no chance in hell, but....the hype train ain't rational baby!!

EulaCapra

My two cents for Smash 5 newcomers if they're not Smash 4 DLC:

- Dixie Kong
- Chibi-Robo
- Inklings
- Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
- Captain Toad/Toadette
- King K. Rool
- Krystal
- Impa
- Wonder-Red
- Henry Fleming (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.)
- Azura (Fire Emblem Fates)
- Gen VII Pokemon
- Takamaru
- Medusa

Honestly, my list is stacked with female characters even though I just know they'll add in like 10,000 more men, 3 avatars, and only 2 females.

Those games might have been on Nintendo platforms, but numbered Shin Megami Tensei alone isn't a series anywhere near significant enough to be considered for representation in Smash Bros. over a host of other forgotten mid-tier Sega franchises; while Persona is much closer. Using those games as a pretext for including a Persona-specific character when the latter series has such a weak link to Nintendo hardware would be reaching even further than Snake, without the prior factor of Kojima and Sakurai's relationship and the Metal Gear series' more widespread popularity.
Have Yu use the Jack Frost Persona. Then you get both! :O

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Toad, Bandana Dee, Ridley, Mona, and Vaati are my most desired characters.

On a separate note, I'm attending my first Smash 4 tournament at my university, and there's over 100 entrants. I'm going to be playing Marth or Link, so any tips will be appreciated.

RomanceDawn

1 - Ridley - Would you believe me if I said I dreamed about playing as him since Smash 64? He's just cool and the little wings and lanky limbs always spoke to me. I never liked Retro's big, realistic wings as much. Superficially him and Charizard look similar but really it's like comparing Mario to Donkey Kong in my opinion.

2 - Dixie Kong - A female with a starring role in a huge trilogy! Love that design too!
3 - Sukapon - Nintendo's 1st fighter deserves some love.
4 - King K. Rool - I say I don't care about him much, but I really do.
5 - Toad/Captain Toad
6 - Takamaru
7 - Hades or Medusa(both some day if Kid Icarus keeps up)
8 - Rhythm Heavan rep
9 - Geno
10 - Skull Kid w/ Majoras Mask

I know my 9 and 10 probably aren't worthy but darn it I want them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xkw8OXLr_w

Apparently Etika is doing a live debate on Youtube in two hours between K. Rool and Shovel Knight regarding their DLC chances. This might be entertaining.
I really like both characters but I find it sort of awkward you'd have a live debate for something like this.

Toad, Bandana Dee, Ridley, Mona, and Vaati are my most desired characters.

On a separate note, I'm attending my first Smash 4 tournament at my university, and there's over 100 entrants. I'm going to be playing Marth or Link, so any tips will be appreciated.
Keep hitting your opponents until they fall off, and if you can't handle that then just disconnect their GCN controller when no one's looking.

If they're (somehow) playing with a non-GCN controller than you're screwed, sorry.

Gmma46N.png

"Retro costumes"

Interesting choice of words.

The K. Rool militia in this thread has changed my attitude about him from "sympathetic to the cause" over "indifferent" to "I hope he doesn't make it in out of spite".
Congrats.

Also obviously this also means Flying Man is confirmed playable.

Dr. Buni

K. Rool supporters are definitely some of the worst supporters in the Smash fandom.

That said, I still support K. Rool, because DKC2 is my favorite game and I'd love more DK representation. I just hope we get Dixie before the croc.

Just a funny thought, if Young Link came back, we'd have a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone.

Smash 4 Young Link would be a clone of Toon Link, who was a clone of Melee Young Link, who was a clone of Link.

And people wonder why most people don't really consider Young Link for DLC.

The K. Rool militia in this thread has changed my attitude about him from "sympathetic to the cause" over "indifferent" to "I hope he doesn't make it in out of spite".
Congrats.

"militia"

That's a new one. The K. Rool fans aren't the ones making constant ad hominem attacks.

K. Rool supporters are definitely some of the worst supporters in the Smash fandom.

Tell that to the people in the K. Rool support thread on SmashBoards that you've posted in instead of bashing them behind their backs.

Dr. Buni

Oh, but I have posted about my distaste towards the K. Rool fandom there before, more than once, actually. You can also link my post there if you want to protect their integrity or something :p

Ha ha if I posted nothing the 'delusional' comments would come no matter what, if I take the words out of other people's mouths before they can, they call me part of a militia

Looks like you have gotten your bases covered

I do prefer 'the cult of Rool' out of all of this thread's half baked insults though, that one is at least funny

Yes, obviously the people in this thread have specifically come together to conspire against you, UglyRareCharacter. You got us now. We have nothing better to do than try to insult you. How did you find out our secret?

Either way, my disdain towards you and the character you support is solely your own doing.

Congrats.

If you're complaining about over-zealousness, your comment doesn't do much to distinguish itself.

Regarding the Mii costumes: while ambiguously timed, nobody's been able to connect the costumes with the ballot. If anything, Mii costumes for other characters suggest the importance of the pre-ballot phase, instead. After all, according to SourceGaming, Heihachi and Chrom were considered as additions to the vanilla roster. Whether K. Rool was considered for the vanilla roster is unknown, but even if he wasn't, the developers may have noted his popularity. He was among the most popular character choices for the original game:
SMASHBOARDS POLL 2011 Poll Results (n = 700 Votes)
A Tier
1. Ridley (366)
2. King K. Rool (365)
3. Mewtwo (356)
4. Toad (342)
5. Megaman (338)
6. Isaac (313)

B Tier
7. Krystal (292)
8. Bowser Jr (280)
9. Roy (277)
10. Little Mac (274)
11. Plusle & Minun (253)
12. Dixie (252)

C Tier
13. Zoroark (243)
14. Pichu (239)
15. Samurai Goroh (219)

SMASHBOARDS POLL Early 2012 (n = 400 votes)
A Tier

1. King K. Rool (265)
2. Ridley (260)

B Tier
3. Mewtwo (248)
4. Isaac (232)
5. Little Mac (224)
6. Toad (217)
7. Krystal (206)
8. Megaman (201)

C Tier
9. Medusa (172)
10. Dixie Kong (166)
11. Samurai Goroh (150)
12. Palutena (146)
13. Bandana Dee (145)
14. Roy (142)

D Tier
15. Saki (135)

SMASHBOARDS POLL Late 2012 - Mid 2013 Poll (n= 2000 votes)
1.Megaman [Capcom] 1086
2.Mewtwo [Pokemon] 973
3.Ridley [ Metroid] 705
4.King K. Rool [Donkey Kong] 699
5.Little Mac [Punch Out] 689
6.Waluigi [Super Mario] 588
7.Isaac [Golden Sun] 565
8.Bowser Junior [Super Mario] 551
9.Roy [Fire Emblem] 545
10.Ghirahim [Legend Of Zelda] 506
11.Palutena [Kid Icarus] 499
12.Krom [Fire Emblem] 457
13.Zoroark [Pokemon] 447
14.Krystal [StarFox] 445
15.Shulk [Xenoblade] 428
I don't have data on hand about Smash demand elsewhere, but given that many of the actual newcomers we received (e.g. Palutena, Little Mac, Shulk, any Fire Emblem character) aren't particularly notable outside of hardcore Nintendo fans, any popularity polling that took place probably occurred on the internet in Nintendo fan communities. Anecdotally, the top 10 or so seem largely consistent across communities. But this is based on my memory, so I acknowledge this limitation.

Lloyd's costume seems more believably tied to Namco's role in development than anything else. It seems sloppy to think that demand for the character even approached K. Rool's, especially in the ballot. In fact, community polls suggest that Chrom, Heihachi, and Lloyd are basically non-entities in the ballot. Sourcegaming's preliminary observations of Japanese ballot "outcry" don't even give the characters a mention. Their Februrary observations only mention Chrom. Even then, he does not appear among the top 15. While you may object to the representativeness of these polls, one would actually expect observations in the hardcore community to overestimate Heihachi, Chrom, and Lloyd's popularity given their relative obscurity among "casuals" (especially the latter two). If they barely make a blip in observations of hardcore communities, is it reasonable to believe they received support from casual fans? I don't think so.

You might not agree with my argument that mii costumes were planned based pre-ballot considerations (including popularity and actual consideration for the roster). That's fair; the evidence is shaky. The point, however, is that there are other potential explanations than the consolation prize argument. In fact, my explanation at least has more evidence attached than the consolation prize argument. If the consolation argument were stronger , I think we would have seen more costumes than just K. Rool's. After all, most demanded characters won't be included as DLC. If these costumes are truly meant to act as consolation prizes, one would expect other more notably popular ballot characters to have shown up. Using Heihachi and Chrom as cases supporting the consolation prize arguments seems inappropriate given that the evidence we do have suggests they were bigger considerations before the ballot commenced. We have no information suggestion Lloyd was officially considered before the ballot, but we also have none to suggest he is a popularly demanded ballot character at all.

The consolation argument remains a possibility. At this moment in time, however, I think connecting K. Rool's mii costume (or any Mii costume) to the ballot is premature.

Arremer is also mad that I didn't go back to look up his name one time while I was disproving his comment about Dixie having been a new model for her trophy and called him a guy with a furry avatar instead. So idk

RomanceDawn

Man those polls always gave me such hope! At the very least I'm glad Ridley is popular and always a heavily discussed topic, so much so that Sakurai even acknowledged it himself.

No fans are worse than Ridley fans though. Quitters the lot of them! After Sakurai came out and said why there was no Ridley it just shut everyone up. At the very least I wished his fans stayed loud enough to hopefully influence the ballot or the next game! I guess everyone can't be strong like me. In times of war the vicious sting of defeat changes one forever.

Still Ridley has been consistently popular for so long maybe his fans don't need to be so loud at this very moment. Maybe after all the hooplah, Sakurai has already made up/changed his mind about Ridley if he were to start work on a brand new Smash.

As for costumes as consolation prizes I'm still not entirely sold on that either. I'm not sure exactly what I think but when people throw absolutes around like "if it's a mii costume and a brand new character, then that character can't be a regular fighter" I just roll my eyes. I have a strong feeling that K Rool will be the one to break that rule. Of course the response will be he is the exception and they'll just change the "rules" every time.

Dr. Buni

Man those polls always gave me such hope! At the very least I'm glad Ridley is popular and always a heavily discussed topic, so much so that Sakurai even acknowledged it himself.

No fans are worse than Ridley fans though. Quitters the lot of them! After Sakurai came out and said why there was no Ridley it just shut everyone up. At the very least I wished his fans stayed loud enough to hopefully influence the ballot or the next game! I guess everyone can't be strong like me. In times of war the vicious sting of defeat changes one forever.

Still Ridley has been consistently popular for so long maybe his fans don't need to be so loud at this very moment. Maybe after all the hooplah, Sakurai has already made up/changed his mind about Ridley if he were to start work on a brand new Smash.

As for costumes as consolation prizes I'm still not entirely sold on that either. I'm not sure exactly what I think but when people throw absolutes around like "if it's a mii costume and a brand new character, then that character can't be a regular fighter" I just roll my eyes. I have a strong feeling that K Rool will be the one to break that rule. Of course the response will be he is the exception and they'll just change the "rules" every time.
I think it is pretty clear as long Sakurai is the director, Ridley has no chances whatsoever of being playable. I don't see the point of being loud about him anymore :/

RomanceDawn

I think it is pretty clear as long Sakurai is the director, Ridley has no chances whatsoever of being playable. I don't see the point of being loud about him anymore :/

You... So Sakurai got to you too huh?!

Well I just think Sakurai is like any other person, he could have a change of heart, an epiphany, or some Devine intervention at any moment. He did out right say he couldn't imagine Pac Man fighting in Brawl and here we are now.

There are a few Ridley fans that kept on fighting in significant ways though. One Smash Boards user created this massive book, all about Ridley and why he could and should be in Smash. It was done in English and Japanese and shipped off to Nintendo in both regions just a few weeks ago. I can't imagine Nintendo in any way will acknowledge that they received it so I'm trying to rally the Ridley fans to ask them about it through miiverse, Facebook, Twitter and what ever else.

The dreams of men will never die! Zehahaha!!!

I think even a new director wouldn't put Ridley in either. It'll probably be someone hand picked by Sakurai and team who basically thinks a lot like Sakurai.

And really, the reasons Sakurai gave for not including Ridley are more or less valid reasons. A new director isn't magically going to make those issues go away.

RomanceDawn

I think even a new director wouldn't put Ridley in either. It'll probably be someone hand picked by Sakurai and team who basically thinks a lot like Sakurai.

And really, the reasons Sakurai gave for not including Ridley are more or less valid reasons. A new director isn't magically going to make those issues go away.

You call them issues, I call them excuses.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Golnei

Really, the more likely scenario is that Ridley would be given a smaller role in future games with a different director. Despite not coming from the most notable of franchises and being unworkable as a playable character from Sakurai's perspective; he still finds a way to give him a relatively major NPC role in every game.

That version's a little outdated by now; recent revisions have helped a little in terms of reconciling his proportions (especially the length of the tail) and fixing some of the choppier animations.

Zubz

Banned
Oh man, remember Smash Weekends? The smash threads would descend into anarchy

Good times

Well, we're close to the one-year anniversary of release, and we're discussing Ridley's feasibility right now. I'd say now's as good of a time as ever to bring Smash Weekends back! Who wants to talk about the Fan Fiction?

I wholeheartedly agree! It's just a mod, so it's rough around the edges, but it's great base! Just give it some Sakurai-tier polish, and it could totally work! Oh, to have our favorite pirate space dragon stealing our hearts in Smash...

Hatchtag

Banned
I don't think Sakurai being the director or not has anything to do with it. I think it's just that Ridley's a hard fucking character to make a balanced, good moveset for. He'd take a lot of effort that might be better spent elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom