• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Inkling (Splatoon)
Anyone (Rhythm Heaven)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
????
????
????

My guesses would be

Hoopa Unbound
Doshin the Giant
The Bionis

I still don't think Ridley has a chance unfortunately due to size issues.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I thought Frofro said in this thread or some other one that the two character thing was tied to the SK leak.
None of the rumours surrounding Shovel Knight have mentioned anything about only having a limited number of DLC spots left. This is conjecture from when Roy and Ryu got their sound files leaked and there were extra pointers in the data concerning unreleased characters.

Dr. Buni

Hey, I would be okay with that if we are getting like 6 to 10 more newcomers for next Smash.
Yeah, to me as long as the newcomers are unique/fun to play, the quantity is irrelevant. Btw Heath... Nice to see you aren't mad at me anymore.
My guesses would be

Hoopa Unbound
Doshin the Giant
The Bionis

I still don't think Ridley has a chance unfortunately due to size issues.
I would add Mongo to that list too.

Hey, I would be okay with that if we are getting like 6 to 10 more newcomers for next Smash.

Inkling (Splatoon)
Anyone (Rhythm Heaven)
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
????
????
????

Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem

I'm okay with this

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, to me as long as the newcomers are unique/fun to play, the quantity is irrelevant. Btw Heath... Nice to see you aren't mad at me anymore.

I would add Mongo to that list too.

I'm not sure if I would say that I'm mad at you but all I remember that I got fed up with anti-completitive comments about Splatoon (?). I actually feel bad afterward but I am truly sorry about that. I didn't meant to be jerk to you like that but I was trying to imply that there are many games that always have a side of competitively.

Masked Man

I said wow

Inkling (Splatoon)
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
Captain Toad / Geno (Mario)
Skull Kid (Zelda)
Masked Man / Porky Minch (Mother)
Prince of Sablé (For the Frog the Bell Tolls)

My top choices for DLC and/or future character additions in no particular order.

Inkling (Splatoon)
Tingle (The Legend of Zelda)
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
Lip (Panel de Pan)
Starfy (The Legendary Starfy) [I like the character but he's pretty much a Kirby that swims instead of flying so I know he has like no chance]
Waluigi (Wario) [According to Sakurai]

I'd be cool with these newcomers. I'd like for Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers to come back as well. I wouldn't mind if we got even less than 8 newcomers if everyone from Smash 3DS/Wii U (including all DLC characters and the 3 above) came back. I would love for Squirtle and Ivysaur to come back but they have like no chance. There's a lot of Pokémon and somebody has to take the fall, I guess. (I personally wish I could cut out Mewtwo for Squirtle but I would get murdered for that decision)

So I was listening to Smash Metal Gear music and I want his trailer to go as the following

This plays while black and white footage plays of Snake in Brawl. And then it fades a battle between Mario, Metaknight, Sonic and Snake in Battlefield into the same fight in Smash 4, but without Snake.

And then after a few seconds, Snake appears through his invisible camouflage. "Kept you waiting, huh?"

Cue montage music. During the montage, Snake explains he was on recon observing the new challengers this time around and is prepared for his biggest mission yet.

I miss Wolf and Snake. I never appreciated them until they were gone :(

Dr. Buni

If I had to pick 8 newcomers for Smash 5, they would be (assuming none of them are DLC):

Inklings
Dixie Kong
Rhythm Heaven rep
The Wonderful 101 rep
Retro character (Takamaru or whoever)
Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)... What, I think it would be a neat addition.
Not a Fire Emblem character
Not a Fire Emblem character
I'm not sure if I would say that I'm mad at you but all I remember that I got fed up with anti-completitive comments about Splatoon (?). I actually feel bad afterward but I am truly sorry about that. I didn't meant to be jerk to you like that but I was trying to imply that there are many games that always have a side of competitively.
I think you misunderstood me, I was never anti-competitive Splatoon (or Smash), I am just against the idea of banning content of the game, like the Smash community does. So admittedly, I was really bothered when the Splatoon community started considering bans as well. But it's okay, I am just glad it's all back to normal!

Are we doing lists now?

Inklings/Octolings (They need to have the franchise Stay Fresh.)
Corrin (New main character from the vitalized FE series, they can use the whole male/female costumes angle, and dragon drills and arm cannons.)
The Shopkeeper from Style Savvy: Trendsetters ("Popular" game and WTF. Also has free BF DLC that never came out in the US.)
Captain Toad/Toadette (Running out of Mario reps. Next thing you know, people will be clambering for Daisy or something.)
Either Dixie or Cranky (K. Rool as it sounds, the croc has no momentum at the moment.)
Some retro/obsure rep (Maybe someone like Mach Rider styled after Mad Max or something. Or maybe Lip with the puzzle blocks.)
Chibi Robo (Only if this guy will catches on. They want this guy to catch on.)
New Pokemon rep (Because you can't ignore Pokemon.)

Enjoy your anime characters in Smash.

Drago

I guess we're doing this now huh. Did 10 because 8 is probably a bit too low a newcomer count IMO.

-Inklings (no shit they're getting in, it's a question of when not if)
-Chibi Robo (my most wanted newcomer by far, I think he has a decent enough chance if the series is still going strong by Smash 5, but definitely not a shoo-in)
-Anyone from Rhythm Heaven (I'll take anything, I have no preferences, I just want to see it represented)
-New DK newcomer (I prefer K. Rool but I would love Dixie too. Just gimme something!)
-Captain Toad (I wouldn't mind seeing Toad in Smash)
-Bandana Dee (lol)
-obligatory retro pick (Takamaru would be awesome)
-obligatory Fire Emblem flavor of the week
-obligatory Pokemon from newest gen
-Guest character (Layton would be my first choice)

Have trouble thinking of other chars I want to see that spring to mind but just these guys would be awesome.

Also, I hope they don't forget to bring back the Ice Climbers.

Hatchtag

Banned
My top 10 would remain damn near entirely unchanged from my Smash 4 want list:
-Ridley
-K. Rool
-Slime/Rocket Slime
-N
-Travis Touchdown
-Hades
-Ray MK II/III
With these three having been added to my list since Smash 4 released:
-Aqua (FE:if)
-Inklings
-Persona Rep (they're on the system now plus Sega owns them)

Inklings is the only one of these that will ever happen lol.

PK Gaming

Smash newcomers huh. Alright, here goes

-Lyn (FE:7)
-Eirika (FE:8)
-Micaiah (FE:10)
-Tharja (FE:Awakening)
-Kamui (FE:Fates)
-King K Rool (FE:DK)

Yeah I know, I played it a little safe

;)

Those new comers feel boring and or placeholder. Like how am I supposed to get excited for New Mario rep, New FE rep, DK rep, Gen 10 Pokemon etc, 5 characters from a grab bag of new series

Ignoring that any of this could be DLC for Smash 4:

- Ridley
- Inkling/ Agent 3
- K. Rool (Play up the different personas instead of just sticking to the 'King' look)
- Dixie Kong
- Takamaru
- Tingle
- Hades (in place of Dark Pit who goes back to being an alt like he already should've been)
- Impa

Though really only Ridley/Inkling/DKC newcomer feels 'must have' to me, but the others are still character picks I'd really be into. Stuff like a proper RH rep, more guest characters and what not is always cool, but I won't be bummed whether they happen or not. Obviously I'd want Ice Climbers/Wolf/Snake back, but that should go without saying for everyone here really.

The following I see as shoe-ins but are't necessarily characters I care about being playable:
- Isabelle
- Captain Toad/Toadette
- New FE Rep
- New Pokemon Rep
- Walugi
- Paper Mario

PK Gaming

Those new comers feel boring and or placeholder. Like how am I supposed to get excited for New Mario rep, New FE rep, DK rep, Gen 10 Pokemon etc, 5 characters from a grab bag of new series

latest

!?!?!?!

!?!?!?!?!?!?!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golnei

It's not entirely what I'd prefer, but I wouldn't be surprised if

*Inkling + Octoling alt
*Captain Toad + Capitan Toadette alt
*Rhythm Heaven Character
*Style Savvy Character
*Paper Mario
*Dixie Kong
*Chibi-Robo
*Obligatory New Pokemon
*Partially Obligatory New Mii Style
*Isabelle
*Increasingly Forced Retro Character
*Jibanyan
*Dragon Quest Representative
*Etrian Odyssey or Persona Representative

end up happening, either.

Which previous game had a set of newcomers you did like?

My top 10 would remain damn near entirely unchanged from my Smash 4 want list:
-Ridley
-K. Rool
-Slime/Rocket Slime
-N
-Travis Touchdown
-Hades
-Ray MK II/III
With these three having been added to my list since Smash 4 released:
-Aqua (FE:if)
-Inklings
-Persona Rep (they're on the system now plus Sega owns them)

Inklings is the only one of these that will ever happen lol.
If you thought people bitching about shovel knight potentially being in smash was loud...

Gleethor

Because I am a crazy person, I'm going to list some reasons why I think Snake might be coming Monday.

1. Maintenance is happening mere hours before MGS5 releases. If Snake makes it to Smash 4 at all, there is no time more opportune than now. Also, its something that I imagine Konami would have mandated. The hype is real and releasing Snake now would be a win-win for Nintendo and Konami.

2. Pretty much everyone agrees that the update at the end of July was a little sparse, especially coming off of the massive June update. Here we are exactly a month later with another potential DLC update on the horizon and its happening much sooner than expected. Why have two updates so close together if you could've had one larger one if only you had waited? Well, if Konami was hypothetically adamant about Snake releasing right on MGSV-eve even if he was completed a month prior, its possible that Nintendo would just go ahead and release everything not-MGS related once it was done, hence the most recent (somewhat light) update.

3. "Kept you waiting, huh?"

4. Man, I miss Snake

PK Gaming

Because I am a crazy person, I'm going to list some reasons why I think Snake might be coming Monday.

1. Maintenance is happening mere hours before MGS5 releases. If Snake makes it to Smash 4 at all, there is no time more opportune than now. Also, its something that I imagine Konami would have mandated. The hype is real and releasing Snake now would be a win-win for Nintendo and Konami.

2. Pretty much everyone agrees that the update at the end of July was a little sparse, especially coming off of the massive June update. Here we are exactly a month later with another potential DLC update on the horizon and its happening much sooner than expected. Why have two updates so close together if you could've had one larger one if only you had waited? Well, if Konami was hypothetically adamant about Snake releasing right on MGSV-eve even if he was completed a month prior, its possible that Nintendo would just go ahead and release everything not-MGS related once it was done, hence the most recent (somewhat light) update.

3. "Kept you waiting, huh?"

4. Man, I miss Snake

otacon(1).jpg

Snake...had a hard life. He needs some time to rest.

Maengun1

I'm a broken record with this, but Smash needs more DK series reps now. K.Rool and Dixie are the first 2 obvious choices, but you've also got Cranky, Funky, other enemies....etc. We need somebody.

At this point, Zelda needs another rep too. Sorry, but Fire Emblem having the same amount of characters as Legend of Zelda is crazy to me in terms of widespread franchise appeal. Skull Kid are Impa both make sense, are long established and popular characters, could have interesting movesets, etc.

Metroid deserves a third rep (cue Ridley. No really, I'm a delusional Ridley supporter for life).

Idk maybe this is weird, but I kind of feel like they should save Inklings for the next game? They may want to capitalize on Splatoon's popularity ASAP, and of course the next Smash game is probably 5+ years in the future, but I feel like if there's GOING to be another Smash game they have to save SOME big guns for it.

I feel like there needs to be a female DLC character before it's all said and done for sure.

Golnei

Oh god. It'd be terrible. At least the Shovel Knight fans know they want Shovel Knight in. The Persona fans would tear themselves apart deciding who they'd want in.

It's a representative of the entire Persona series, so I think most people would be okay with it just being Yu or Jack Frost, considering their prominence as mascots. Though there'd probably be a few fairly ugly arguments depending on the girl chosen as an assist trophy...

tumblr_inline_ncbh026a9U1t1zb1n.gif

Golnei

I don't think Raiden ever appeared on a Nintendo console, unless I'm missing something.

Aside from his Brawl sticker, he technically did show up in Ghost Babel, as the player character for the VR missions. It's still not exactly the most notable history...

Jack Frost is more of SMT in general than just Persona.

Atlus in general, really. Representing them in Smash is sort of difficult, because while Persona is by far their most notable and iconic franchise and their only series even partially worthy of Smash representation, realistically speaking, but the spinoffs and side series are what have any sort of presence on Nintendo consoles - Jack Bros. on the Virtual Boy even being the first from the wider franchise to see localisation. Jack Frost might be a way to bridge that gap, but his lack of significance to the Persona games in particular might also complicate things.

Representing them in Smash is sort of difficult, because while Persona is by far their most notable and iconic franchise and their only series even partially worthy of Smash representation, realistically speaking, the spinoffs and side series are what have any sort of presence on Nintendo consoles - Jack Bros. on the Virtual Boy even being the first from the wider franchise to see localisation. Jack Frost might be a way to bridge that gap, but his lack of significance to the Persona games in particular might also complicate things.

Most of the main, numbered Shin Megami Tensei games are on Nintendo consoles. The series even started on the NES.

Golnei

Most of the main, numbered Shin Megami Tensei games are on Nintendo consoles. The series even started on the NES.

Those games might have been on Nintendo platforms, but numbered Shin Megami Tensei alone isn't a series anywhere near significant enough to be considered for representation in Smash Bros. over a host of other forgotten mid-tier Sega franchises; while Persona is much closer. Using those games as a pretext for including a Persona-specific character when the latter series has such a weak link to Nintendo hardware would be reaching even further than Snake, without the prior factor of Kojima and Sakurai's relationship and the Metal Gear series' more widespread popularity.

Oooooo, top ten lists. Let me take a crack at this.

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Tingle (The Legend of Zelda)
Azura (Fire Emblem)
Ashley (WarioWare Inc.)
Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
Mr. Sandman (Punch-Out!!)
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
Inkling (Splatoon)

Waluigi will never be playable unless he appears in a Wario game first, and Ridley is... probably not going to happen. Bless his soul.

JCX

SMT/Persona's best chance to get into Smash is via SMTxFE, since we'll probably get at least 2 more FE swordsmen in the next Smash.

Ryce

There are definitely a ton of feasible newcomers for a new Smash Bros.
  • Toad
  • Dixie Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Zelda character (Toon Zelda, Tingle, Impa, or someone else who is relevant by the time of the next Smash)
  • Ridley (Sakurai should try really hard to scale him down to appease Metroid fans after all these years)
  • New Pokémon (or more than one Pokémon newcomer like in Melee and Brawl)
  • New Fire Emblem character
  • Isabelle (has become a massively popular and focal character over the last three years)
  • Excitebiker
  • Takamaru
  • Chorus Kids or another Rhythm Heaven character
  • Inkling
  • New IP character (EAD/SPD is bound to create at least one new IP before the next Smash)
  • New guest character 1
  • New guest character 2

Azure J

Inkling (Splatoon)
Anyone (Rhythm Heaven)
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
????
????
????

I wanna play this game:

Inkling (Splatoon)
Anyone (Rhythm Heaven)
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
Lip (Panel de Pon/rebranded as a Nintendo Puzzle League mascot with Dr. Mario)
Azura (Fire Emblem)
Chrono/Sora/Hero/Slime (Chrono Trigger/Kingdom Hearts/Dragon Quest)

This is all assuming heavy hitters like K. Rool are happening in DLC ballot stuff. Also, I mesed up. Needs more Impa. :lol

Edit: Gonna work off of Ryce's template:

Toad
Dixie
K.Rool
Impa
Ridley
Pokken's Blaziken pls
New Pokemon
Azura
Isabelle
Excitebiker
Takamaru