• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too bad the Ridley group don't put their energy behind Dark Samus.

Dark Samus is legitimately probably the only other Metroid character that could be in Smash, and yet she's entirely ignored while people whine that Metroid gets no reps and has no reps to use and why does Sakurai hate the series. And yet Dark Samus remains unmentioned and unsupported.

And I didn't even really see any support before her Assist Trophy was confirmed either. People had themselves convinced Ridley was a lock, that Dark Samus didn't even enter their mind. And then when Smash 5 comes around, they'll yet again forget about Dark Samus and go right back to supporting a character they've already been told isn't happening.

And then you have the group who think Dark Samus couldn't do anything but be a clone of Samus, which is silly because Dark Samus can't even use half of Samus' special moves.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't think Sakurai being the director or not has anything to do with it. I think it's just that Ridley's a hard fucking character to make a balanced, good moveset for. He'd take a lot of effort that might be better spent elsewhere.
I would probably agree with this assertion in the base game, but I imagine a downloadable Ridley fighter would repay its investment many times over.

Zubz

Banned
Why, oh why is the PMBR working on freaking Knuckles instead of Ridley?

I mean, you say Knuckles like it's a bad thing. Ridley was my #1, hands-down, most wanted character for Smash 4 after the reveal trailer showed off Mega Man and the Villager off of the bat as well as the character I would actually end up maining, but Knuckles was still Top 10 for me. Honestly, seeing how Knuckles could reuse some of his animations from Sonic, I'd rather see them make a working Knuckles than a working Ridley, since it wouldn't take them as much time to finish him!

Dark Samus is legitimately probably the only other Metroid character that could be in Smash, and yet she's entirely ignored while people whine that Metroid gets no reps and has no reps to use and why does Sakurai hate the series. And yet Dark Samus remains unmentioned and unsupported.

And I didn't even really see any support before her Assist Trophy was confirmed either. People had themselves convinced Ridley was a lock, that Dark Samus didn't even enter their mind. And then when Smash 5 comes around, they'll yet again forget about Dark Samus and go right back to supporting a character they've already been told isn't happening.

And then you have the group who think Dark Samus couldn't do anything but be a clone of Samus, which is silly because Dark Samus can't even use half of Samus' special moves.

... It pains me to say it, but they pick characters that are less likely to get into an actual Smash game, so that way they don't step on Nintendo's toes. It's why they're working on Sami instead of Advance Wars' face, Andy. It's also why we're seeing a second Sonic character, an Assist Trophy from a series that's bloated in terms of playable characters, and a (Hugely popular, mind you) Zelda one-off instead of, say, Isaac or Takamaru.

I'm still adamant they could make a working Ridley, but Sakurai's made it clear that he doesn't think he could make him work, so he's off the table (For now, I hope). Dark Samus may be an Assist Trophy in Smash 4, but Sakurai didn't flat-out say he couldn't make her in a way that fit his "vision." I know the modding community's not following the same mindset as the PMDT, but that could be part of the mentality behind Ridley being prioritized.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Sadly, Dark Samus' biggest problem in gaining popularity is that she is called Dark Samus. It makes people not familiar with the character believe she would be a clone like Dark Pit. That's partly the reason why I advocate that, were she ever in Smash, she were called Metroid Prime.

Golnei

Dark Samus had a lot of potential; (even Metroid Prime itself could make for a reasonable character if scaled down) but she was far past the point where she was even remotely relevant to make it in as a playable character in SSB4, let alone 5. The Assist Trophy was a fairly painful compromise - enough to show why she'd work perfectly as a fighter, as well as showcasing why it could never happen. Assuming regular Samus is less awful in 5 and custom moves are expanded instead of cut; a modeled Dark Samus alt and entirely new custom moves replicating those of the assist trophy wouldn't necessarily be a bad way to reconcile the two, despite not being the optimal outcome.

I would probably agree with this assertion in the base game, but I imagine a downloadable Ridley fighter would repay its investment many times over.

It wouldn't really sell that well. Probably not enough to bomb, he's a partially well-known character (at least not as niche as Roy and Lucas) and it's Smash DLC; but nowhere near the return offered by Ryu and Mewtwo.

Zubz

Banned
Dark Samus had a lot of potential; (even Metroid Prime itself could make for a reasonable character if scaled down) but she was far past the point where she was even remotely relevant to make it in as a playable character in SSB4, let alone 5. The Assist Trophy was a fairly painful compromise - enough to show why she'd work perfectly as a fighter, as well as showcasing why it could never happen. Assuming regular Samus is less awful in 5 and custom moves are expanded instead of cut; a modeled Dark Samus alt and entirely new custom moves replicating those of the assist trophy wouldn't necessarily be a bad way to reconcile the two, despite not being the optimal outcome.

It wouldn't really sell that well. Probably not enough to bomb, he's a partially well-known character (at least not as niche as Roy and Lucas) and it's Smash DLC; but nowhere near the return offered by Ryu and Mewtwo.

Honestly, I'd be fine with a downscaled Metroid Prime. Just have it move like Shuma Gorath and we'd be golden! At the very least, it'd be a Metroid newcomer, a female character, and a villain all in one, so she'd check off a lot of boxes fans want to see... checked!

I'm with you on how Ridley'd sell, honestly. They'd break even, between Ridley's fans and people just curious as to how he'd work, but it wouldn't be "advertise him on the side of subway cars" tier like Ryu was.

Thought I was editing my other post, guess not. Oh well.

Metroid Prime is a legendary series, it's never not relevant.

Also Trilogy came out in 2009 and was recently re-released again on the Wii U. The Metroid Prime series is still being enjoyed by lots of people.

RomanceDawn

I don't know, Ridley would probably sell more in Smash than all Metroids combined. Well not really but I bet he would be a hot character just because of all the fan bickering alone.

I think DLC new comers need to be downright massive. They take way more work to design and create than vets, so their return of investment is a lot higher.

So far the only new comer DLC we've had was the most well know fighting game character of all time.

But I suppose that theory will be completely destroyed if an indie character that sold 700,000 copies a year ago and never released in Japan becomes DLC. That breaks all trends and my thoughts on how DLC's cost is structured.

Golnei

Most are pretty good, but Toon Link, Robin and Ike's weren't even a fanfare - reusing the Fire Emblem characters' STEAM fanfares might have been better, regardless of the difference in style. And even if the genre of the remixes was an issue, they could always use something like Path of Radiance's second player phase theme for Ike, at least.

Also, the arrival theme would have been a better choice for ZSS, as well as the brass from the beginning of OoT's final battle for Ganondorf.

Metroid Prime is a legendary series, it's never not relevant.

Also Trilogy came out in 2009 and was recently re-released again on the Wii U. The Metroid Prime series is still being enjoyed by lots of people.

Prime is definitely important enough to the Metroid franchise to justify a little more representation than it's currently getting, especially in terms of stages and music; but not so much as to demand a further playable character. And Dark Samus in particular won't benefit even if the Prime series continues beyond spinoffs, seeing as they've confirmed they have no intention of continuing to use her.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One Smash Boards user created this massive book, all about Ridley and why he could and should be in Smash. It was done in English and Japanese and shipped off to Nintendo in both regions just a few weeks ago. I can't imagine Nintendo in any way will acknowledge that they received it.

Nintendo can't acknowledge it because they never received it. The book was too big to fit through the letter box.

Richie

Awesome find, and overall awesome video. As noted, some weren't actually fanfares, and others really need a remix to emphasize the fanfare nature (Toon Link's, Squirtle's) but I think the uploader just wanted to capture the -idea- of what the fanfares would be, and it's a great job all in all. Charizard and Ivysaur's were my favorites.

Incidentally, back when I used to write down Smash ideas, I always thought it'd be cool if Pikachu's victory theme harkened to the Pokémon Yellow intro, so it could be more "Pikachu" and less "Pokémon in general".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When I played around with Brawl mods (for there is more to Brawl mods than just Project M) I replaced some of the victory themes with my own. Using looping points in the sound file I was able to make it so the victory theme never finished ergo the general victory screen theme would never kick it. What this allowed for was a custom victory fanfare followed by a looping victory theme.

For example, for Wario I used Wario Land 2's level complete jingle followed by a loop of Perfect from Wario Land 3. Or for Yoshi you can literally just copy Yoshi Island's goal and score tune.

Also a unique Diddy jingle suggestion should never be anything but the boombox blast.

Dr. Buni

You... So Sakurai got to you too huh?!

Well I just think Sakurai is like any other person, he could have a change of heart, an epiphany, or some Devine intervention at any moment. He did out right say he couldn't imagine Pac Man fighting in Brawl and here we are now.

There are a few Ridley fans that kept on fighting in significant ways though. One Smash Boards user created this massive book, all about Ridley and why he could and should be in Smash. It was done in English and Japanese and shipped off to Nintendo in both regions just a few weeks ago. I can't imagine Nintendo in any way will acknowledge that they received it so I'm trying to rally the Ridley fans to ask them about it through miiverse, Facebook, Twitter and what ever else.

The dreams of men will never die! Zehahaha!!!
He could, after all he changed his mind on Villager, but... What are the odds? Ridley have been requested since pre-Brawl era and Sakurai still refused to make him a playable char. It is nice that you as well as a few other Ridley fans still have hopes, but I moved on.
And really, the reasons Sakurai gave for not including Ridley are more or less valid reasons. A new director isn't magically going to make those issues go away.
I think there are plenty of ways of making Ridley playable in Smash, the only issue is Sakurai not wanting Ridley to be playable, really. Developing Ridley as a playable character can't be harder than developing stuff like Pikmin & Olimar, Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch and other crazy Smash characters.
I would be 100% okay with playable Dark Samus, especially if she could sort of transform into the (Metroid Prime spoilers?)
Metroid Prime
for certain smash attacks/specials or something like that. But even if she couldn't, the character still have plenty of potential to be more than just a Samus clone.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wasn't there something about Eguchi not initially being keen on a Animal Crossing fighter or did I misremember something?

Richie

Dark Samus would have all my support. I think her extreme physical similarity with Samus could be used as an advantage. The notion of a character who looks identical to another yet has an entirely different moveset is very appealing to me.

Like, if there had been -time- for it, I bet Sakurai could have easily given Dark Pit a moveset all his own, even inherited some of Pit's Brawl moves.

Ridley's best chance was this game. He didn't make it. He will not make it into any new Smash unless he is sized down in a future Metroid.

(and for the record I voted for him in the ballot, so I didn't stop wanting him to be included)

RomanceDawn

Spoilers for Smash are treated so differently compared to spoilers for anything else, in my head that is. When I read that Bowser Jr leak the surprise and shock of him making into the game was still fully felt when it was confirmed 100%. Just knowing who makes it always surprises me and for what ever reason it doesn't matter if I find out in a direct, from some leaker, or unlocking them on my own.

Though the biggest surprises were Villager, Mega Man, Rosalina & Luma, Robin, Lucina and Greninja because I just had no idea or hint they'd make it until the directs. I will admit not knowing until it was revealed officially did have more of a positive impact though so I can understand people wanting just that. I can't imagine what it's like going into the game blind, I'm just too passionate about the game to not be talking about it and looking for news every single day.

So getting spoilers for Smash VS being surprised by the game it's self or by Nintendo is more than a fair trade off because reading people's reactions/hopes/dreams/salt is so satisfying. Anticipation is such a wonderful feeling right? Almost better than the real deal in many cases and experiencing the wave of non stop emotions from everyone is just much more satisfying to me than being spoiler free. It's almost impossible to have one without the other in the Smash community so I prefer people's hype, excitement and anticipation than being completely surprised by the game.

Containing Smash spoilers is pointless. The game has no story so there's no "implied" spoiler rules so it's free reign to do whatever. It's a huge game and you can't contain discussion of it. How are you going to avoid spoilers for Smash when people were using leaked characters as avatars on random forums or in unrelated threads?

I remember one of my friends was really mad I spoiled Dr Mario was in Smash 4. But then later he said it was stupid to be worried about spoilers for a fighting game. And he was right.

It's even somewhat more silly on Reddit where spoiler tags don't even work on mobile at all, so mobile users are left reading a secret document from the CIA. I hate when I'm clicking a thread that clearly implies spoilers (ie: WINNER OF THIS TOURNAMENT) and yet they spoiler tag the winner and I have to go to the comments and use context clues to figure out who actually won because someone might accidentally stumble into the thread and get cranky or something so the majority of users need to be inconvenienced.

But what do I know. Part of my research into whether or not I'll like a game is to read a story summary and spoil the entire thing. I pretty much go into every game knowing the full cast and the entire story, at least for the first game in the series.

I'm a dirty scrub who looks up cheats on how to play Phoenix Wright :)

Dr. Buni

But what do I know. Part of my research into whether or not I'll like a game is to read a story summary and spoil the entire thing. I pretty much go into every game knowing the full cast and the entire story, at least for the first game in the series.

I'm a dirty scrub who looks up cheats on how to play Phoenix Wright :)
Oh, I do both of these things as well. Knowing the story of a game beforehand makes it more enjoyable to me, for some reason. And there are certain things I'd rather know about a story before spending over $60 on a game.

And while I didn't cheat on Phoenix Wright, I cheated on quite a few puzzles (mostly the math ones) in Professor Layton. I hate math.

Ahnez

Oh, I do both of these things as well. Knowing the story of a game beforehand makes it more enjoyable to me, for some reason. And there are certain things I'd rather know about a story before spending over $60 on a game.

And while I didn't cheat on Phoenix Wright, I cheated on quite a few puzzles (mostly the math ones) in Professor Layton. I hate math.

Layton puzzles are WAY too hard for E / E10+ games :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But what if there's nothing?

I like leaks, rumors and spoilers, personally.
They would be if the Pokémon fandom didn't exist.

Nah, at the very least you can simply put the worst of Pokemon to ignorance or nostalgia.

Smash fans are on another level, primarily because it has overlapping fanbases.

Going to upload my replays tonight so they do not get erased tomorrow!

Also yeah adding any Metroid character but Ridley would be dumb other than maybe original moveset Dark Samus. People want Ridley and not some wannabe just cuz they have a Metroid logo.

Also yeah adding any Metroid character but Ridley would be dumb other than maybe original moveset Dark Samus. People want Ridley and not some wannabe just cuz they have a Metroid logo.

Well, a lot of people out there do kinda want another Metroid character for the sake of having one, actually. I've seen some people go as far as even suggest Anthony Higgs or one of the MPH hunters, haha.

kirby_fox

Banned
Well, a lot of people out there do kinda want another Metroid character for the sake of having one, actually. I've seen some people go as far as even suggest Anthony Higgs or one of the MPH hunters, haha.

Sylux is likely if they make a Metroid game with him as the villain/rival. It's way down the line, but I guess they really want to open up the Metroid world with more games that don't necessarily have Samus attached.

Which makes sense. Our 2 reps from Metroid are both Samus.

Dr. Buni

Going to upload my replays tonight so they do not get erased tomorrow!

You love to throw the word dumb around, don't you.

I don't know who "people" are, but I am easy to please. I want Ridley, but Dark Samus would be great, too. Hell, give me one of the Metroid Prime 3 hunters and I will gladly buy them.
Sylux is likely if they make a Metroid game with him as the villain/rival. It's way down the line, but I guess they really want to open up the Metroid world with more games that don't necessarily have Samus attached.

Which makes sense. Our 2 reps from Metroid are both Samus.
Sylux was never confirmed to be a he btw. The games refer to Sylux by gender neutral pronouns. :p

Tyeforce

While the maintenance may very well mean nothing, it's worth noting that Nintendo is releasing Vs. Excitebike on the eShop tomorrow, too... That's unusual, because Nintendo almost never releases games on the eShop outside of Thursdays (excluding digital versions of retail games) unless it's right after a Direct or something. Plus there's the aggressive advertising of Smash Bros. DLC all of a sudden... I dunno, it just really feels like something's up. It feels like there should be a Direct tomorrow, and perhaps that would have been Nintendo's plan if it weren't for the loss of Iwata...

Zubz

Banned
I prediction for the next Smash is that all fighters are replaced with Mii costumes.

Well, they already have a Samus Mii costume while Samus herself is being nerfed to oblivion. I'd say you're onto something here, and that we're just one patch away from seeing the first victim!

kirby_fox

Banned
Everyone expecting Wolf to be announced next. Imagine if they announce Pichu instead.

Pichu, Young Link and Shovel Knight.

"We thought about how fans of Melee really enjoyed the game, so we wanted to bring back all the characters that we could from Melee. Now you can once again play as Young Link! He plays a lot like Toon Link, but has some slight changes to his design and moves. For example, his arrows cause fire damage now!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom