• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

Pichu, Young Link and Shovel Knight.

"We thought about how fans of Melee really enjoyed the game, so we wanted to bring back all the characters that we could from Melee. Now you can once again play as Young Link! He plays a lot like Toon Link, but has some slight changes to his design and moves. For example, his arrows cause fire damage now!"
Lol! That would be the best day. Hopefully not on a Friday so I could stick all day reading salty messages on the internet.
It would be glorious lol
I'm going to get me a good bucket of popcorns. It would be so glorious for sure.
Indeed it would! But I kinda want Pichu back, before or after Wolf. In fact, why not bring all veterans (other than Snake and IC) back?

Zubz

Banned
I'm going to get me a good bucket of popcorns. It would be so glorious for sure.

You wouldn't even need to look for the salt; you could just scoop it up off the ground!

I'd rather have Wolf, and would much rather have Ivysaur, Snake, or the Ice Climbers, but I'd love to see Pichu back, myself.

After reading why Sakurai didn't put in Takamaru as a fighter in Sm4sh, I hope he gets more than consideration in Sm4sh DLC / Smash NX fighter selection from this ballot.
sourcegaming.info said:
Then Tomokazu Sugita makes a comment about how happy he was to see Takamaru. Sakurai reveals that Takamaru was briefly considered for a playable character. However, since his popularity was too low, Sakurai felt it was impossible to add him.
I know that high amount of votes in the ballot =/= guarantee fighter in smash, but it should be enough for Sakurai to see that Takamaru isn't that obscure.
Everyone expecting Wolf to be announced next. Imagine if they announce Pichu instead.
After what they did to Roy, I wouldn't mind, Pichu would be a better fighter than Mewtwo, even if Pichu were to be nerfed from Melee to Sm4sh.

What did they do to Roy?

Turned a poorly balanced full clone into a well balanced semi-clone that plays distinct from his base, but still familiar to his old Melee self. He was also given a design update that pleased fans of his two different visual designs and brought him in line with the rest of the FE cast. They also lovingly brought back his original voice actor with pitch perfect sound design to make Roy sound older and more mature while still sounding like the same person as he used to be. Bringing an actor back after 15 years is no small feat, and to perform exactly the same voice, but matured in a way that fit his new design is something of a miracle.

Roy could have been Doc and just got ported right from Marth with a slight tweak to his neutral special animation. But they didn't. They went above and beyond what most people were expecting.

kirby_fox

Banned
Everyone brought back is my dream.

Snake returns, played by Hayter again. Getting Hayter in the studio was really hard to do since he's union. Timing didn't work out until DLC came into play. Plays exactly the same.

Squirtle returns. His moves have been buffed-- he now uses Hydro Pump instead of Water Gun (charges and causes damage). His side special is now Surf that moves more horizontally. His up special is now Waterfall that moves more vertically. His down special is withdraw, which works more as a counter as it builds up. Final Smash is Water Spout, where the stage has randomized water spouts erupting out of it.

Ivysaur returns. Moves have been buffed-- bullet seed is now leech seed, shoots directly upwards. Razor leaf is now leaf storm, and works more like Megaman's attack. Recovery is now Seed Bomb, and is used to explode upwards. While on the ground you can aim it. Down special is now vine whip and is a grab move that targets enemies. Final Smash is solar beam.

Pichu returns. Plays exactly the same, with more power, more speed, but the same amount of damage. Headbutt move can be turned into Iron Tail, where he finishes the move with a hard tail slap. Minor differences can be tweeked.

Ice Climbers return, exclusive DLC to the New 3DS and Wii U. Play exactly as they used to with minor buffs/changes.

Young Link returns. Fire arrows, bigger blast for bombs, no charging hero spin, faster more damaging boomerang, mix of Toon and Link's regular moves. Final Smash is Fierce Diety mask or Biggoron Sword.

Wolf returns. Final Smash is a clone of Zero Suit's.

Pokemon Trainer returns. Fights himself. Uses Pokeballs that work like Yoshi's eggs, bicycle similar to Wario's bike, Pidgeot recover similar to Megaman's, fishing pole used as a grab. Final Smash sends out Blaziken to go Mega and attack- is named Pokemon Battle (because you get caught in this Final Smash by looking at him)

Everyone returns. Everyone!

I think Pokemon Trainer should be connected with Ivysaur. I think that makes Ivysaur a more plausible addition and attaches it to a character that can actually carry themselves in Smash instead of being in Smash because they already had Squirtle and Charizard and Ivysaur was the default.

Dr. Buni

Snake is not coming back :p Wolf's FS should be his Wolfen. It is weird how none of the Star Fox have the Airwings or Wolfen as their FS.
Turned a poorly balanced full clone into a well balanced semi-clone that plays distinct from his base, but still familiar to his old Melee self. He was also given a design update that pleased fans of his two different visual designs and brought him in line with the rest of the FE cast. They also lovingly brought back his original voice actor with pitch perfect sound design to make Roy sound older and more mature while still sounding like the same person as he used to be. Bringing an actor back after 15 years is no small feat, and to perform exactly the same voice, but matured in a way that fit his new design is something of a miracle.

Roy could have been Doc and just got ported right from Marth with a slight tweak to his neutral special animation. But they didn't. They went above and beyond what most people were expecting.
Besides the character design change, I wouldn't know that without someone telling me. I never gave Roy much attention back in the day and I haven't bought his DLC yet.

But that sounds pretty nice, I wonder if we should expect changes on other returning veterans as well.

kirby_fox

Banned
I think Pokemon Trainer should be connected with Ivysaur. I think that makes Ivysaur a more plausible addition and attaches it to a character that can actually carry themselves in Smash instead of being in Smash because they already had Squirtle and Charizard and Ivysaur was the default.

I just really want to play as Pokemon Trainer fighting because I think it'd be hilarious and awesome all at the same time.

jph139

I've always been sort of disappointed they never used an evolution mechanic for a Pokemon. For example: start with Bulbasaur, after dealing a certain amount of damage/number of KOs he evolves into Ivysaur, then Venusaur. Same moveset for each, same animations for most moves, trading speed for power (or, honestly, just increasing in power). Doesn't reset between stocks or anything, permanent change per battle.

I dunno, just seems like a really obvious things to implement. Though I guess they've never really had a chance - outside of Pokemon Trainer (where evolution would obviously be incredibly cumbersome on top of the switching), every Pokemon in Smash is either a final evolution or evolves via an alternative method.

I've always been sort of disappointed they never used an evolution mechanic for a Pokemon. Start with Bulbasaur, after dealing a certain amount of damage/number of KOs he evolves into Ivysaur, then Venusaur. Same moveset for each, same animations for most moves, but speed decreases and power increases (though ultimately getting stronger overall). Doesn't reset between stocks or anything.

I dunno, just seems like a really obvious things to implement. Though I guess they've never really had a chance - outside of Pokemon Trainer (where evolution would obviously be incredibly cumbersome on top of the switching), every Pokemon in Smash is either a final evolution or evolves via an alternative method.

Wow, never really realized Squirtle and Ivysaur were the only Pokemon in Smash that evolved in a "normal" way...

Pikachu: Thunder Stone
Jigglypuff: Moon Stone
Mewtwo: Doesn't evolve
Pichu: Friendship
Squirtle: Normal
Ivysaur: Normal
Charizard: Final form
Lucario: Final form
Greninja: Final form

This appeared on 4Chan. At first glance, can't find any errors, but it's probably fake. Be kind of cool though.

Seems like a weird thing to fake given I assumed the Boss Vs. mode was cut from Smash 4 due to there being so few bosses. I'd dig it at least.

I wish it was Duck Hunt Duo in the NA version too. Maybe people would stop calling the character by "he" if that was the case :p
What about Captain Toad? A character that can't jump would be a neat addition.

But NoE is just outright wrong. Duck Hunt is three characters. That's the official explanation for them. Duck Hunt Duo is a poor name.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wish it was Duck Hunt Duo in the NA version too. Maybe people would stop calling the character by "he" if that was the case :p
What about Captain Toad? A character that can't jump would be a neat addition.

I always imagine that they would use platform that would appear under Cap Toad every time he jump. XD

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's Jun Fukuyama. The guy is a legend in the seiyuu industry.

But NoE is just outright wrong. Duck Hunt is three characters. That's the official explanation for them. Duck Hunt Duo is a poor name.

Yeah, I -hate- the Duck Hunt Duo name. I seriously do not understand why NoE had to rename the character. This is even directly going against the reveal trailer since it has the zapper player as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nah, they probably just noticed that I've been running a script that's been voting for nothing but Stunfisk every ten minutes for the past three months.

Dr. Buni

At least the Chorus Kids were planned to be in the game, unlike K. Rool x)

I do think they could, say, skip the #2 on the ballot in favor of the #3 if the #3 have more potential for an unique moveset, if it is easier/faster to develop, etc.

Fortunately for K. Rool, he does have potential for uniqueness... but then again so did Ridley ^_^

jph139

I am curious if the K. Rool groundswell is one among many flashes-in-the-pan, or actually the new status quo - like, if he doesn't get in as DLC, will he remain a constant point of discussion on the road to Smash 5?

Essentially, is he the new Ridley or the new Banjo-Kazooie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom