• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

I am curious if the K. Rool groundswell is one among many flashes-in-the-pan, or actually the new status quo - like, if he doesn't get in as DLC, will he remain a constant point of discussion on the road to Smash 5?

Essentially, is he the new Ridley or the new Banjo-Kazooie?
The new Geno?

Russ T

Banned
I feel like I remember a voice for K. Rool before Brawl was released, but that was so long ago at this point that I can't say for sure.

Sponge

Banned
I feel like I remember a voice for K. Rool before Brawl was released, but that was so long ago at this point that I can't say for sure.

I remember there was a voice for him back then. It was nowhere near as large. I wouldn't compare K. Rool to Geno by the character itself, but maybe by how annoying the fans can be. That comes with about any fandom though. As for Geno, we've already got our blue, magical Mario character in Rosalina. Who is a lot better than Geno if you ask me.

Zubz

Banned
I am curious if the K. Rool groundswell is one among many flashes-in-the-pan, or actually the new status quo - like, if he doesn't get in as DLC, will he remain a constant point of discussion on the road to Smash 5?

Essentially, is he the new Ridley or the new Banjo-Kazooie?

I definitely think people'll be pushing him for Smash 5 if he doesn't get in now. He was decently popular on various forums, even before Brawl's release. The Ballot's just letting people run wild. On top of that, there were other factors leading to the increase in K. Rool support, too.

There was, but there were also 2 games' worth of newcomers that hadn't been added yet (And also Ryu). A lot of the obvious picks like Olimar, Lucario, Mega Man, etc. have since become a part of the roster, so a lot of players that wanted, say, both an Animal Crossing rep and K. Rool now only need to be vocal about K. Rool.

Plus, there's that whole "3rd most-wanted villain behind the inevitable Wolf and the denied Ridley" medal K. Rool's wearing. Smash is lacking in villains, and people want to fix that. Someone may want Ridley, or Wart, or N or someone more than K. Rool, but a lot of the people who just want a new villain decided that K. Rool's the best chance a newcomer antagonist has. I definitely remember K. Rool support from the pre-Brawl days, but I think these 2 factors combined are why K. Rool supporters are the loudest right now.

EDIT: Well, at least in terms of my online experience. I've met some very vocal Shovel Knight fans in real life, but it's only been a few specific people getting really belligerent in real life, and it's not as bad online. Maybe it's because I avoid Reddit...

K. Rool has been consistently discussed since Brawl, but especially for Smash Bros Wii U /3DS. His ballot support after not being included in the vanilla roster (and not being included in DKCR or TF) suggests this will likely continue if he is not selected as DLC. What helps him is that a lot of the "competition" has been eliminated (either they got in or their fans were discouraged -- sometimes by Sakurai himself).

I like Geno. If for some reason a SMRPG character ever happened, I would choose him. He seems like the most "iconic" character exclusive to that game. While I think Geno would make the "best" choice for a number of reasons, I think I would prefer Mallow: froggie stick, cymbals, star rain, his head detaching from his torso. That sounds really fun. I thought he was endearing, too.

javadoze

Tomorrow but I don't remember what time tho.

From Monday, August 31, 2015 6:00 PM
- Monday, August 31, 2015 7:00 PM Pacific Time
During the maintenance window, the following services may be unavailable.
Wii U
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

From Monday, August 31, 2015 5:00 PM
- Monday, August 31, 2015 6:00 PM Pacific Time
Nintendo 3DS
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Drago

Yeah I definitely remember K. Rool support going as far back as pre-Brawl. Definitely don't remember how loud it was back then (certainly not as loud as it is now) but I definitely remember people wanting him.

If he doesn't get in now as DLC, I still see him being a pretty popular pick for Smash 5, though perhaps not as popular as he is right now.

kirby_fox

Banned
So if anything we'll get announcement early tomorrow morning.

Wouldn't it be amazing to wake up to the challenger approaching image on Twitter and that we'd get something on Tuesday?

Honestly, K Rool isn't doing too bad, all thing's considered.

A lot of boss characters would kill to have their theme remixed in Smash, and K Rool's theme is probably the best DK remix in Smash.

A costume and trophy on top of that, despite not being relevant for 20 years, I'm not really sure that's all that bad.

Yea, he'd be nice as playable, but a lot of characters in a similar position as him have nothing.

Tomorrow but I don't remember what time tho.

From Monday, August 31, 2015 6:00 PM
- Monday, August 31, 2015 7:00 PM Pacific Time
Wii U
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

From Monday, August 31, 2015 5:00 PM
- Monday, August 31, 2015 6:00 PM Pacific Time
Nintendo 3DS
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Thanks!

Even if the votes do not penetrate Sakurai's skull I have no doubt K. Rool will be in a new DK game before Smash 5, thanks a lot to the Smash votes. To the contrary of what the silly people who call him a Geno say, he is in it for the long haul.

It's so easy to capitalize on, because it's not like with Isaac or Inkling where you have to make a whole new game for them. DK is a living breathing series so all you have to do if you're Nintendo is say HEY RETRO, MAKE K. ROOL THE VILLAIN INSTEAD OF A BIG WALRUS WITH HIS MANNERISMS K THX BYE.

Okay seriously, I've looked everywhere but can't find them. So can anyone please post what the leaked picture are because the imogur site doesn't work for me when theres albums/more than one pic for some reason.

Edit: NVM. Switching to Mobile and selecting "view all" worked. Meh, they better not make playable bosses. Likely not on 3DS, not real characters, and likely not online. Whay a waste. #TeamFAKEPLS

NeonZ

I think the demand for K.Rool might fall if there isn't any Donkey Kong Country sequel for a while, since that'd diminish the perceived importance of the series, especially after the last game didn't do well. See what happened to Golden Sun (although I guess the last Golden Sun performed much worse than Tropical Freeze).

I hope that the Big N is smart enough to see that Tropical Freeze suffered not because of quality but because of being released on the Wii U early in Feb. Returns was a multi million seller and the Countries and 64 still do good on the eshop so it's clear the DK brand is still an appealing one.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I hope that the Big N is smart enough to see that Tropical Freeze suffered not because of quality but because of being released on the Wii U early in Feb. Returns was a multi million seller and the Countries and 64 still do good on the eshop so it's clear the DK brand is still an appealing one.

I feel everything on Wii U deserves a second life on NX. At least the stuff that wasn't huge sellers (Tropical Freeze, W101, Pikmin 3)

Honestly, K Rool isn't doing too bad, all thing's considered.

A lot of boss characters would kill to have their theme remixed in Smash, and K Rool's theme is probably the best DK remix in Smash.

A costume and trophy on top of that, despite not being relevant for 20 years, I'm not really sure that's all that bad.

Yea, he'd be nice as playable, but a lot of characters in a similar position as him have nothing.
Stickerbush Symphony and the kong's singing over the DKC title screen theme say hi.

kirby_fox

Banned
Huh. I just realized it has this text at the top of it.

"Note: Your vote may be made public via the Internet."

So it sounds like whatever people wrote about a character will be used in promotional stuff. Could also mean we see votes for the most random characters out there in stuff too.

The K. Rool arrangement is pretty rad, but yeah, I'm on Team Stickerbush Symphony/DKCR Vocals.

Smash 4's DK arrangements in general are pretty damn great. If only the actual representation of songs went beyond DK Island Swing.

Zubz

Banned
Stickerbush Symphony and the kong's singing over the DKC title screen theme say hi.

I hate the Vocal DKCR remix, but I'll back you on Stickerbrush Symphony. I'd also be in support of the DK Rap, if we had all 7 parts in Smash 4. But we don't, so it's a disappointment.

kirby_fox

Banned
*watching hype train crash*

Everyone is on the hype train, they just went to bed.

In thinking about the time slots, we would likely see something announced in only a few hours (3-4 AM EDT). That's about the same time we got our daily Smash update, as it was in the middle of the day in Japan when people would see it.

We would then probably get our press release by NOE and NOA a few hours later. That's IF something was coming and out of the blue.

Consider: they can't update the servers because of people data mining them now, so they can't just drop new stuff on us without the surprise factor. Maybe Sakurai wants the surprise factor with a second batch of character DLC since he was unable to do it during E3.

So if you're on the hype train, I don't think it ends until a little after 4 AM. If nothing came out around there, probably nothing coming at all.

PK Gaming

comic421_zpsqoongt01.png

kirby_fox

Banned
Seeing as it is now past 4 AM here on the East Coast, and there's been no announcement anywhere, I'm gonna go ahead and get off the hype train.

I didn't mean to stay up this late...it just happened.

Damnit, I decided to fall asleep early and I kept waking up every 2 hours for some reason.....might as well stay awake now. Maybe it was the hype waking me up. How long till update?

.........zzzzzzzzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom