• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Would be hilarious. What if we get a newcomer to go along with Wolf, but the trailer introduces them both (i.e. Lucina and Robin)... the newcomer would be from Star Fox, but not Krystal!

Boss Doggie

Nah I'm thinking of Panther.

Like maybe say Wolf was going to steal the last Metroid from Ridley, and he got it, but then Ridley chases him to a corner, then suddenly BAM a rose gets flicked in front of the dragon, Tuxedo Mask style, and then we get a Spanish version of Star Wolf theme.

Oh and that trailer would be a nice salt for Ridley fans too.

Dr. Buni

Personally the only Star Fox newcomer I would more or less like to see is Krystal. The other characters (other than Fox, Falco and Wolf) are not as interesting to me.

I don't see the need to provoke Ridley fans even further either. Why not use K. Rool instead? :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We have Fox, Falco, Wolf briefly in Brawl and ROB from the Star Fox boss level in Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

That's quite a lot of reps for a series that gets more reboots than sequels.

If there's ever a 4th Star Fox character it's pretty blatantly going to be Slippy, and he'll act as a joke character with a couple secretly OP moves that take ages to master.

Krystal only has a chance at this point if she's in SF0/later Star Fox games, because it seems like Nintendo's set on moving past anything after SF64 now.

Yea, I too actually think it would be Slippy. For whatever reason.

But Star Fox should only have three fighters. The three cores represent the series well.

Main character
Most popular secondary character
Reoccurring villain/anti-hero

Couldn't really ask for better representation than that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I didn't know Goomba had his own series.

Goomba doesn't have his own spin-off franchise that is better than the main series.

Goomba also isn't used on like every piece of Mario advertising like Slime is for Dragon Quest. Mario also constantly has the same protagonists, whilst Dragon Quest doesn't.

Seriously go play Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime and tell me you don't want that charming motherfucker in this game.
I've played Rocket Slime. People ask for generic slime in the game, not Rocket specifically. Not that it would matter much in how it looks.

But it's such a boring design nonetheless. Literally a blob. Yes, I'm aware this game has two spheres in its roster, and if we play the meritocracy card, why would you choose a Slime over any of the main characters?
Yeah I disagree. Slime is more like the Pikachu of Dragon Quest, not Goomba.
I can't imagine why any Dragon Quest fan would want the slime instead of one of the main characters.
You know what would be nice for an anniversary?

Getting an update that allows you to obtain all the customs. Just unlocks them all if you want to. Hit a button and boom.

Forget characters, give me that.
I finally got all custom moves like two weeks ago. I would be so pissed off...

Dr. Buni

Mascots of long running series are almost always better representatives than main characters. I would take Slime, Moogle/Chocobo and Jack Frost over protagonists of their series.

Neoxon

You've gone from jumping to conclusions about server maintenance to jumping to conclusion based on a baseless rumour. When will lessons be learnt?
  1. I'm neutral on the rumor, I'm just waiting to see what becomes of it.
  2. I was the one who said that the maintenance wouldn't introduce anything of significance.
Who's jumping to what conclusion? If anything, you should be learning a lesson of mixing me up with others here on GAF.

Boss Doggie

Oh I'm fine with just them being three, I just said Panther randomly because it balances against Star Fox (and a character archetype for that matter) and it would just be hilarious - a character who doesn't exist in the new game being playable :p

It's too bad Panther isn't around anymore. I actually liked his character and he made a better opposite to Slippy than Andrew does. Andrew is a dweeb (like Slippy), Panther is like the direct opposite of Slippy. Which falls more in line with the other members of Star Wolf being opposites.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's too bad Panther isn't around anymore. I actually liked his character and he made a better opposite to Slippy than Andrew does. Andrew is a dweeb (like Slippy), Panther is like the direct opposite of Slippy. Which falls more in line with the other members of Star Wolf being opposites.
I thought Slippy's rival was Leon!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

"Annoying bird, I am the great Leon!"

Leon is Falco's rival.

Falco is a loyal companion of Fox who goes rogue sometimes, but ultimately comes back to his best friend.
Leon is an obsessive fan boy of Wolf, who would stay with Wolf no matter what, even if Wolf was abusive to him or didn't want him around.

They're opposites! Sort of.

Wolf -> Fox
Leon -> Falco
Pigma -> Peppy
Andrew -> Slippy

Pigma was kicked out because he was such a huge bastard that nobody could stand him. Which makes sense since Pigma's lines in 64 about James McCloud to Fox are appalling. Andrew was kicked out because everyone thought he was an annoying idiot. Because he's an annoying idiot. Which is probably why he's Slippy's opposite, but I still think Panther being smooth and charismatic is a better opposite to Slippy's nerdy awkward character.

Star Fox Wiki doesn't seem to even know why these two are rivals, other than "they're both kind of bad pilots"
It is shown that he and Slippy have a minor rivalry with each other, as other members have rivalries with other Star Fox members. Unlike the others', Andrew's conflict with Slippy has a foggy background. Andrew is similar to Slippy in that they are both below-average pilots. When shot down, he whines "Uncle Andross!!" as he plummets. Oikonny appears with the rest of Star Wolf in the
Eh...

Boss Doggie

Nah, Panther's rival is Falco. Notice how in Assault, both Leon and Panther assault Falco?

No. But in Japanese manuals they make it a point that Slippy and Leon have a mutual "connection" of sorts. It's given a reference in the "blue planet" chat with Wolf in Brawl.

Leon is an obsessive fan boy of Wolf, who would stay with Wolf no matter what, even if Wolf was abusive to him or didn't want him around.
wat

Wolf trusts Leon with his life. It's just that Leon is also a masochist.

wat

Wolf trusts Leon with his life. It's just that Leon is also a masochist.

I said if Wolf was. He isn't, but Leon screams about how much he wishes Wolf would rip him to shreds.

Which is a really strange relationship and even raises Panther's eyebrow a bit.

Well, at least if Wolf comes back, we'll get to hear Leon rant and rave about how big of a Wolf fanboy he is. Unless they don't bother re-adding the Lylat Cruise lines, which is a real possibility.

Boss Doggie

I said if Wolf was. He isn't, but Leon screams about how much he wishes Wolf would rip him to shreds.

Which is a really strange relationship and even raises Panther's eyebrow a bit.

Well, at least if Wolf comes back, we'll get to hear Leon rant and rave about how big of a Wolf fanboy he is. Unless they don't bother re-adding the Lylat Cruise lines, which is a real possibility.

They kept Lylat Cruise lines right? I'm pretty sure the stuff is still there, it just needs the character to activate it.

I wonder if they will retroactively add Star Wolf dialogue in Orbital Gate though. It's one of the stages that feature them heavily yet they're quite not present.

They kept Lylat Cruise lines right? I'm pretty sure the stuff is still there, it just needs the character to activate it.

I wonder if they will retroactively add Star Wolf dialogue in Orbital Gate though. It's one of the stages that feature them heavily yet they're quite not present.

I think they avoided adding Wolf or Krystal to Orbital Gate to avoid any issues if they were ever DLC.

Adding Wolf wouldn't add lines to Orbital Gate, as the lines on OG are activated only if there isn't a Star Fox character in play. Wolf would still allow OG to function as it does now, because he isn't in any of the dialog (probably on purpose in case they wanted him as DLC).

I have no idea if the LC stuff is still in the files. Probably, but I have to wonder if the trigger is literally "is(character=="wolf")" or if there's special scripts they need to specifically change. Is the stage just waiting for a character with the ID of Wolf to be added and it automatically works?

Golnei

I have no idea if the LC stuff is still in the files. Probably, but I have to wonder if the trigger is literally "is(character=="wolf")" or if there's special scripts they need to specifically change. Is the stage just waiting for a character with the ID of Wolf to be added and it automatically works?

Considering SSB4 was built off Brawl, wouldn't both refer to 'fitwolf'? How much data did DLC Lucas share with the vestigial remnants of the Brawl character left in the 3DS version?

Boss Doggie

I think they avoided adding Wolf or Krystal to Orbital Gate to avoid any issues if they were ever DLC.

Adding Wolf wouldn't add lines to Orbital Gate, as the lines on OG are activated only if there isn't a Star Fox character in play. Wolf would still allow OG to function as it does now, because he isn't in any of the dialog (probably on purpose in case they wanted him as DLC).

Why would it needs changing? Won't it be using the same scripts in Brawl?

Zubz

Banned
Good choice :3

I definitely agree on the mii-fighters part. My inkling and Mawile would get a lot more use then :D

RickAndMortyMyMan.GIF

Also, a Mawile Mii? How would that work? And I know my Danny DeVito and Zubaz Mii's'd see a lot more use if they were eligible outside of single player/local multiplayer, as well. I have other Miis I'm more proud of, but the Brawler's the only Mii I actively ever want to play. The other 2 set-ups are okay, but they're like Pit or Meta Knight, in that I never really feel motivated to pick them.

Alright guys, which one of you is this?

WohhISW.png

Azure J

I am curious if the K. Rool groundswell is one among many flashes-in-the-pan, or actually the new status quo - like, if he doesn't get in as DLC, will he remain a constant point of discussion on the road to Smash 5?

Essentially, is he the new Ridley or the new Banjo-Kazooie?

He's definitely in for the long run. Hell, I technically think Ridley's going to exist as a long term "thing" despite Sakurai's numerous attempts to douse that flame. Those two characters are beyond current time hype and are their own thing entirely.

Edit: DON'T HURT EM REGULUS lmao

But the Japanese fans want fucking Young Link back.

Young Link, Squirtle and Ivysaur apparently have very little support in Japan, despite being vets.

Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers have loads of support, and Pichu isn't far behind.

Nobody is seriously going to support YL, because most people have come to terms with Young Link never actually being cut from Smash.

The whole "let the Japanese decide" thing is kinda funny since K. Rool is easily the most popular non-veteran over there. Though to be fair, there isn't much competition left.

Imagine if we got:

Ice Climbers (probably not)
Wolf
King K. Rool
Waddle Dee
Inklings

I'd be very happy with that.

Ahnez

I'm sure Wolf will get back at some point

I mean, his moveset is already done, the only thing needed is balancing.

Its easy money - much cheaper to develop than a newcomer like Ryu, and will still sell

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Young Link, Squirtle and Ivysaur apparently have very little support in Japan, despite being vets.

Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers have loads of support, and Pichu isn't far behind.

Nobody is seriously going to support YL, because most people have come to terms with Young Link never actually being cut from Smash.

I know it's technically not Young Link but I know that he already replaced Young Link's spot.

ToonLink_SSB4.png
Precisely. Besides, if you ask for Young Link back, you should ask for regular Link from Smash 64 and Melee back as well. He is not the same character as the one from Twilight Princess, and there are even differences in their movesets to justify the Hero of Time's inclusion under that character qualification.

Russ T

Banned
Wolf is defo the second best veteran that's not in Smash 4. (The best, of course, being Pichu.)

Ice Climbers would be rad, too. I don't particularly like playing them, but they're extremely unique and I love watching other people play them, so it's sad that they're not present. ):

That sounds good to me too. I've made it clear before but I'd take any viable DK character as DLC. K. Rool, Dixie or Cranky is fine by me.

Both K. Rool and Dixie should have been playable by now. It should have been Diddy in Melee, K. Rool in Brawl, and Dixie in Smash 4. Hell, throw Cranky in there too.

Russ T

Banned
The whole "let the Japanese decide" thing is kinda funny since K. Rool is easily the most popular non-veteran over there. Though to be fair, there isn't much competition left.

Is this just a "general sentiment" kind of feeling thing, or is there actual stat tracking for the Smash 4 ballot that I'm unaware of?

I'm asking because at one point in Dota 2, there was a vote to see who would get remodeled. Before the vote, the vocal minority was clamoring for a few specific heroes (Viper, Zeus, Slardar, for those in the know). But then when the vote finished, the winner was... someone basically no one who actively participated in the community would've expected. (Faceless Void, for those in the know, again.)

Basically what I'm asking is are you guys sure this isn't just a case of "vocal fans want K Rool", as opposed to "everybody wants K Rool"?

He's not my pick, but I'm not averse to his inclusion, by any stretch.

Sponge

Banned
Both K. Rool and Dixie should have been playable by now. It should have been Diddy in Melee, K. Rool in Brawl, and Dixie in Smash 4. Hell, throw Cranky in there too.

Can't argue with that. Still blows my mind that Diddy didn't even have a trophy in Melee. I still think it was because it was DKR related and got removed like most of Rare's trophies did.

Zubz

Banned
Alright guys, which one of you is this?

WohhISW.png

That reminds me. I made a @dril Mii Brawler I'd use more often, too. Plus, I passed a spot-on He-Man while I was at Comic Con that I've meaning to turn into a Brawler.

I know it should be a Swordsman, but the Mii's too good to waste on what I consider to be the worst character (The Mii Swordsman, that is).

Speaking of vets, gonna go out on a limb and say we're probably looking at the rest of the DLC being vet heavy, as the first half was.

Probably 3 or 4 characters total, to go with the first bundle.

Wolf
Pichu
Shovel Knight
Other New Comer (Layton?)

Maybe even replace that second new comer with Squirtle.

I base this on DLC pack 1. It has 4 characters, two are ports/clones, two are brand new unique characters. Mewtwo is a vet, yes, but the work required to add him was honestly maybe even more than Ryu, as Ryu has a few animations shared with other humans, Mewtwo has none and his animations are very distinct. So for the purposes of this, I'm counting it as 2 "new" characters and 2 "easy" vets. There are no vets left like Mewtwo. No vet ever needs to be 100% remade from scratch again without any base to port from Brawl.

Wolf and Pichu are the "easy" vets of pack 2, I'm assuming. Wolf can be ported from Brawl, clean up his animations a bit (they're rough in Brawl), and call it a day. Pichu can be like Roy and based on Smash 4 Pikachu, and changed from there, so he's easy. Ever since Roy was released, people realized they could make Pichu unique and better than he was in Melee. I've noticed Pichu's popularity dramatically increase after Roy came out, and I'd think he's probably the #2 most likely vet at this point. Once you cut out Snake and Ice Climbers, Pichu is the next most popular vet behind Wolf. Also Pichu would be an important addition (that Sakurai would never mention due to Young/Toon Link nonsense) but it would mean 100% of the clones that have ever been in Smash would be in Smash 4. Only Ice Climbers would be left from Melee. But it's quite possible to count them as Brawl cuts, leaving Melee entirely on the roster of Smash 4 which is insane and something I never thought possible.

I'm on the wagon with Shovel Knight, so I think he'll be in pack 2 as well. That leaves one hanging character that I'm not sure will be 100% new or a Brawl port. If it's a Brawl port, only Squirtle is left as a possible character unless they pull a miracle and get Snake. Ivysaur can't stand on his own, unless they add "Pokemon Trainer and Ivysaur" which might be fun, but it's still just Ivysaur with Red in the background calling the shots. If it's an entirely new character, I have no idea who it could even be. Probably a third party. Japan really wants those and they'll sell really well. There's a slight chance it could also be Inkling or Dixie.

I also think character DLC will end before DLC ends. I think balance and Mii Costumes, maybe even stages, will continue on for awhile after characters are done. They're not going to just end it and leave the last DLC characters without proper balance patches.

I also think we'll hear about the next character very soon. The 13th is the one year anniversary, and I don't really see it being ignored. Sakurai celebrated the 6 year anniversary of the day they finished Lucario in Brawl by showing Lucario in Smash 4. I think he's kind of sentimental.

I'm pretty pessimistic on new comers. Knowing that vets are extremely popular in Japan, and that new comers take an obscene amount of work on an already skeleton crew, vets just seem all the more likely. And I really like vets, as much as the Japanese, so it works for me!

Azure J

Agreed. It's actually kinda interesting how it took until Brawl for us to get a second DK character (DIDDY at that).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Not you too. The infection is spreading...
PAD27rE.gif

I thought you are already familiar with my opinion but yeah, I always prefer Wolf over Fox in Brawl, and I guess I'm not fan of how Fox is in Smash 4.

Imagine if we got:

Ice Climbers (probably not)
Wolf
King K. Rool
Waddle Dee
Inklings

I'd be very happy with that.

Waddle Dee? I always felt that Kirby franchise is already perfect as it is with trifecta.

Dr. Buni

It would be funny to see that person's reaction if we got Dixie, Banjo & Kazooie (lol) and King K. Rool as DLC.
Give us our malicious beast back please.

WolfSSBH.png
I am not sure if I want him back without his Brawl voice clips ):
Waddle Dee? I always felt that Kirby franchise is already perfect as it is with trifecta.
Agreed, though I have a soft spot for Ado/Adeleine and she being playable would be the great.

Sponge

Banned

I felt the same until Triple Deluxe and Rainbow Curse came out. Kirby tends to have characters that come go in the series (Adeleine, Ribbon, Gooey) but Bandana Dee has been consistently in Kirby games since Return to Dreamland. HAL seems to be pushing him. I also think he could make for a pretty fun moveset since he has a spear.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It would be funny to see that person's reaction if we got Dixie, Banjo & Kazooie (lol) and King K. Rool as DLC.

I would be happy to see those three characters tho. I would be okay if we are going to get RARE LTD Bundle; those 3 characters with two stages, one stage from Banjo & Kazooie and Gangplank Galleon.

However, I'm not sure if we would get Gangplank Galleon as stage because we haven't got Bowser Castle stage yet. Paper Mario stage don't count.

I am not sure if I want him back without his Brawl voice clips ):
I guess that's good thing that I don't really care about voice clips :p (I think you probably know why)

Golnei

I thought you are already familiar with my opinion but yeah, I always prefer Wolf over Fox in Brawl, and I guess I'm not fan of how Fox is in Smash 4.

I want him back as well - it's just that your specific phrasing seemed a little...familiar.

Agreed, though I have a soft spot for Ado/Adeleine and she being playable would be the great.

Adeleine would have had the potential for a really unique moveset. If she had become a recurring character after her first few appearances instead of stopping with 64, she'd be almost guaranteed at some point; provided Sakurai could overcome his seething hatred towards Kirby games he didn't direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom